• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Would You Do? #5 - Rob Van Dam

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
The fifth in a series of threads that asks you "What would you do if you were in charge of handling this superstar's future?" All you need to do is answer the following questions:

01. Push or Bury?
02. Revamp or Continue (their current character)?
03. How would you book them?

01. Hold Position

02. Continue

03. RVD laughs about all these "Paul Heyman Guys" saying he was the original. Cesaro says RVD's ship has sailed, that was all in the past, Heyman made the right choice by throwing RVD out with the garbage. RVD says Cesaro may have gotten a few big wins, but he is nowhere near RVD's level. Cesaro says RVD is right, Cesaro can barely see RVD "way down there" because Cesaro is so beyond him. Feud. Profit.

01. Push

02. Continue

03. There's not really much space on the roster right now for guys like RVD. If it were up to me I'd get the IC title on him somehow. Let him feud with a few midcard heels up until Summerslam where he inevitably drops the title. This would honestly be the best way to elevate the IC Championship. Big E has sort of fallen off recently and if RVD is involved people are bound to care. There's an endless amount of guys I'd like to see him feud with for the title; Ziggler, Rhodes, Cesaro or maybe even some of the new guys they're bringing up from NXT.

I would push and continue with his character.

At this point, all I see in RVD is someone who can be used to have good matches and get people over. He had his time at the top and that ship has sailed long ago. I would have him either in a tag team or work solely in the midcard. But putting him in some main events wouldn't hurt either. He does have some credibility, since he is a former WWE and ECW champion. Just don't invest a lot of time and effort in him.

I like the OP idea. Cesaro still needs to be built, no need for crazy push or giving him the title (read as poisoned chalice).

RVD would be the perfect guy to feud against. Heyman has a history, which will naturally create some gold and RVD likable enough with fans that Cesaro will be portrayed as heel.

Cesaro beating RVD would continue to enhance his reputation, beating a former bonafide main event star.

1. Push
2. Revamp (Turn him heel)

3. I REALLY wish Seth Rollins was the US champ because I can see these guys having a feud for the ages and RVD is the best man to elevate somebody like Seth Rollins and since I don't really think it makes sense to go against Ambrose... I would have Heyman bring RVD out and act as if he's 100% with the "Heyman guys", have them celebrate and than hae RVD absolutely DESTROY Cesaro. Major heat and instant personal storyline... Be even better if Cesaro can get that IC belt from Big E

1. Hold Position
2. Continue
3. Feuding With A Young Up & Comer

When it comes to RVD's position in WWE, there's not really much you can do with someone who wrestles for 90 days before taking time off. You couldn't give him any sort of lengthy run as champion. The best you can do is to use him as a possible title contender without putting the title on him unless you want WWE to go back to playing hot potato with championships.

As far as his character goes, might as well stick with it in my opinion. RVD doesn't exactly have the best promo abilities, nor is he particularly good at acting to any appreciable degree. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced he's capable of doing something deeper or darker. The RVD we see on television is, for all intents and purposes, who he seems to be in real life: a mellow, laid back 43 year old stoner.

As to who I'd put him against, I like the notion of him going against Cesaro due to his connection with Paul Heyman. We've yet to really see any interaction involving RVD & Heyman since RVD's return to WWE. Cesaro has momentum right now, RVD is a well known star who'll probably go back on hiatus after SummerSlam, so having Cesaro go over in a feud with him is a good use of RVD's limited time. As I said, he'll probably leave after SummerSlam and probably won't be back until it's time for the Royal Rumble. As a result, feuding with and elevating someone like Cesaro is the best and most realistic use of RVD, in my eyes anyhow.

I'm not really sure what the value in having RVD on the roster is. Beating him doesn't really give you any kind of rub. And he's not going to be around long enough to build him back up to try and make some money with him. He's terrible on the mic. He's slow and clunky in the ring. There's no "dream matches" to be had with him. Really, he's pointless. If I were WWE I'd using him sparingly on tv and send him out to do autograph sessions. That's about it.

You can't repackage Rob Van Dam. He's Rob Van Dam. He comes out, points at himself, and the fans all chant his name. His moveset hasn't changed noticeable in over a decade, and that's just fine.

RVD as a part-timer who comes and goes ala Chris Jericho is that it's hard to book for him in the long term. He's basically doomed to come in, elevate a midcard star, and leave. But I think that actually presents an interesting opportunity. An opportunity to get a huge fan favorite in a memorable program that DOESN'T involve a world title.

I like the idea of putting RVD up against Cesaro. Both are powerful, agile dudes who can go in the ring. And like you said, Cesaro is the newest Paul Heyman Guy, and RVD is one of the original Paul Heyman guy. Go all-out with the booking. Have Cesaro take out RVD after a match, and then backstage cut a promo about how Van Dam has gone soft and is a disgrace to the legacy of Paul Heyman guys. During the feud bring up RVD beating John Cena, becoming WWE Champion, maybe even getting fired because he couldn't handle his drugs, if they want to go "real" with it.

Cesaro/RVD isn't a main event caliber match, but it's one I would invest in and love to see on a B-PPV like Extreme Rules or Payback.

You can't repackage Rob Van Dam. He's Rob Van Dam. He comes out, points at himself, and the fans all chant his name. His moveset hasn't changed noticeable in over a decade, and that's just fine.

RVD as a part-timer who comes and goes ala Chris Jericho is that it's hard to book for him in the long term. He's basically doomed to come in, elevate a midcard star, and leave. But I think that actually presents an interesting opportunity. An opportunity to get a huge fan favorite in a memorable program that DOESN'T involve a world title.

I like the idea of putting RVD up against Cesaro. Both are powerful, agile dudes who can go in the ring. And like you said, Cesaro is the newest Paul Heyman Guy, and RVD is one of the original Paul Heyman guy. Go all-out with the booking. Have Cesaro take out RVD after a match, and then backstage cut a promo about how Van Dam has gone soft and is a disgrace to the legacy of Paul Heyman guys. During the feud bring up RVD beating John Cena, becoming WWE Champion, maybe even getting fired because he couldn't handle his drugs, if they want to go "real" with it.

Cesaro/RVD isn't a main event caliber match, but it's one I would invest in and love to see on a B-PPV like Extreme Rules or Payback.

I'd actually go the other direction with that. I would make RVD a "Paul Heyman guy" and put him in a back up roll to Cesaro. RVD would be the gate keeper of the group. The guy people have to go through to get to Cesaro or Brock. He'll win just enough to keep him credible, but ultimately will be the guy who gets beat before they move on to the bigger fish in the pond.

I'd actually go the other direction with that. I would make RVD a "Paul Heyman guy" and put him in a back up roll to Cesaro. RVD would be the gate keeper of the group. The guy people have to go through to get to Cesaro or Brock. He'll win just enough to keep him credible, but ultimately will be the guy who gets beat before they move on to the bigger fish in the pond.

Now you've got me thinking...maybe a Cesaro/RVD tag team? They could feud with Swagger and whoever replaces Cesaro in the Real Americans...that would be interesting too.

"Cesaro, you may be a Paul Heyman guy, but Paul Heyman is an RVD guy."

These guys are gonna work together, and they most definitely should. RVD is definitely on the downward direction in his career, which pains me to say because he was at one time my favorite wrestler top to bottom and I would re-watch almost every match he had right after it was over. But this is pro wrestling, and the veterans give back to the young generation once they move past they're prime. They should definitely have some pretty solid matches, and I'd bet RVD has at least one spectacular reversal while in mid-Swing.

That all being said, if I was in charge, the feud wouldn't last very long, and I would get RVD into a tag team as fast as possible. The division just had it's best year in over a decade but with all the break ups recently it's quickly fading away. I'm not exactly sure who would be the perfect fit with him, but really any of the guys who are stuck with nothing else to do would benefit from having his name attached to theirs. One thing I know for sure is I would absolutely NOT tag him with Cesaro. Pigeon holing Cesaro in another tag team right now would kill everything he has been building for the last six months.

RVD still holds value.. For all I know he is respected and a great veteran.. As to what his role is,well for one thing RVD is not much of a talker never really was but he is a former champion and MITB winner for what its worth.. His role probably will be to put over younger talent,that should be his sole purpose.. To make them look good,give them a rub,disappear for 90 days then reappear..

YOu cant give him a serious feud,he is not there long enough for anything to transpire.. Cant give him a title so what else are you going to do? Again his role should be to put over talent like Jericho has done

01. Push
02. Continue (their current character)?
03. How would you book them?

A Cesaro feud over the obvious "I Was The First Paul Heyman Guy" connection.

A run with the US Title to get it some star power. Maybe RVD takes it from Ambrose and Cesaro takes it from RVD.

You could do the same with the IC Title where it ultimately ends up on Cesaro.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in time for Money In The Bank, perhaps as a surprise entrant. His style is perfect for ladder matches and now that the heavyweight belts are unified, there will only be 1 MITB match and it needs to be top notch. He still probably has enough in him to make some "holy shit" exciting moves, without actually having to win the match.

Del Rio would be an easy feud to book him in heading into Extreme Rules. RVD would want revenge on the man who took him out at Battleground. Del Rio is a heel with some credibility and could easily be used to put RVD over in his first feud.

First off, have him get revenge on Alberto Del Rio for taking him out. Book ADR vs. RVD in a #1 Contender Match at Extreme Rules, RVD goes over clean. The following PPV (I think it's Battleground, but I really can't keep track anymore), RVD challenges Daniel Bryan for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and loses a close match, giving Bryan a win over another top former champion and keeping RVD looking strong. Then have RVD win the United States Championship from whoever holds it (which will probably STILL be Dean Ambrose), giving him the one title that has always eluded him. Finally, he feuds with Antonio Cesaro as others have suggested, beating Cesaro clean at MITB to retain the title, before losing it to him at SummerSlam, just in time for his next vacation.

1. Hold Position
2. Continue
3. Feuding With A Young Up & Comer

When it comes to RVD's position in WWE, there's not really much you can do with someone who wrestles for 90 days before taking time off. You couldn't give him any sort of lengthy run as champion. The best you can do is to use him as a possible title contender without putting the title on him unless you want WWE to go back to playing hot potato with championships.

As far as his character goes, might as well stick with it in my opinion. RVD doesn't exactly have the best promo abilities, nor is he particularly good at acting to any appreciable degree. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced he's capable of doing something deeper or darker. The RVD we see on television is, for all intents and purposes, who he seems to be in real life: a mellow, laid back 43 year old stoner.

As to who I'd put him against, I like the notion of him going against Cesaro due to his connection with Paul Heyman. We've yet to really see any interaction involving RVD & Heyman since RVD's return to WWE. Cesaro has momentum right now, RVD is a well known star who'll probably go back on hiatus after SummerSlam, so having Cesaro go over in a feud with him is a good use of RVD's limited time. As I said, he'll probably leave after SummerSlam and probably won't be back until it's time for the Royal Rumble. As a result, feuding with and elevating someone like Cesaro is the best and most realistic use of RVD, in my eyes anyhow.

I agree with the OP and with JH above... it was also rumoured that Cesaro was going to have a huge match at SummerSlam....and it wouldn't be a surprise if that meant a match with someone like RVD who is well established and with their in-ring abilities, I think they could have a great match if it does indeed happen.

So, I do think something with Cesaro and Heyman involving RVD is the best way to go and would be a great midcard programme to look forward to going forward.

1) Push
2) Continue
3) I love the Cesaro Vs. RVD idea, but I don't think it is one that makes sense. RVD comes out and says he's the first Paul Heyman guy? Why, what motive would RVD have for talking about being an origanal Heyman guy unless it is to make Heyman realize he's the best and come manage him again.

I think it should be like this: Paul Heyman is on a path to wipe off all of his blemishes and only have successful Paul Heyman guys with him. He says only Barack Lesnar, Cesaro and Punk have been the great Paul Heyman guys and anyone who isn't on their level cannot have any association with the name.

Cesaro feuds with Ryback, the biggest failure of the of the Paul Heyman guys at Extreme Rules and beats him in impressive fashion. The next guy on the list is Curtis Axel, the man with possibly the best family in Wrestling history and he is a failure to them and to Heyman. At Payback Cesaro defeats Axel and Ryback interferes to help his partner Cesaro.

At Money In The Bank all three men are in the ladder match where Rybaxel pretty much eliminate Cesaro from the match but at the end Cesaro fights back hitting everyone in his way with impressive moves to put over the "Swiss Superman" thing. Cesaro grabs the Briefcase for the win.

At Battleground Cesaro takes on Rybaxel in a handicap match and even beats them in that.

The post-battleground Raw is where everything with RVD (The current IC champion) takes place. Heyman comes out and cuts a promo saying that RVD is no good, he never accomplished anything major in the WWE, in fact if it weren't for Paul Heyman RVD wouldn't have gotten anywhere in his career. He says RVD is a former MITB holder and now Cesaro is too and the only difference between them is that Cesaro is a superhuman who will beat and eliminate RVD and take the IC title back to Team Heyman.

RVD is pretty much a buffer until Extreme Rules where Alberto Del Rio wins the intercontinental Championship. The Next night Big E. claims his title rematch and he fails to win. The next week there is a battle royal to determine the new #1 contender which RVD wins. RVD takes on ADR at Payback and wins or Big E. and RVD are both in the match making it a triple threat that RVD wins.

At MITB RVD defends the title against Del Rio where he wins again. The next ppv which is battle ground has a rubber match between RVD/ADR and RVD retains again.

Than the next night Cesaro/RVD takes into effect and ends with RVD leaving again and dropping the IC title to Cesaro.

1. Hold position as a mid-carder
2. Keep character as is (after all, changing his character would probably require time, which RVD can't offer)

3. There is this problem with the part timers that I personally cannot take seriously. When I know that they won't win any championships, or that they will probably lose in a 8 minute match on PPV, I can't really be excited about that stuff. Sure, I get it, you can't give the mid carders 20 minutes to work, but still the problem remains. So, what would you do with a guy that is described like above? The answer that is probably the best is make him feud with Cesaro. There is history between Heyman and RVD, so there is some logic behind that feud. It was mentioned above too, so I won't repeat what was already said. As I said above though, there isn't much you can do with those part timers to make a believable/interesting feud. Maybe, if RVD wins a title quickly and runs with it for 2 months, I guess he could make a decent program.

When it comes to RVD's position in WWE, there's not really much you can do with someone who wrestles for 90 days before taking time off.

Exactly. Any momentum you can build up for him would have to be dealt with quickly.....or it goes for nothing. RVD is one of the few people with a rep that allows him to have one of the "special" contracts Vince McMahon has allowed himself to give out in the past few years, a practice that used to be strictly taboo. Bully for Vince; adapting to the times.

I think RVD should be handled in the same manner as Rey Mysterio. Both wrestle full-time when they are around, yet no longer compete for championships. In Rey's case, that's a good thing because I thought it was visually ludicrous to have him competing for the world title; better to let him look like a real hero when in the ring, while actually accomplishing little in terms of rankings or personal feuds.

Do the same with RVD; even with his big, fat belly, people like to see his flying maneuvers. Even though those moves have become ponderous, the fact he has an opponent who will lie on the mat, patiently waiting for RVD to climb the top rope and deliver, keeps him as a guy whom fans want to see.

During his 90 days active, he can develop a few grudges against people which are played out to everyone's benefit. Of course, we fans will have the fun of trying to determine at what stage of the feud we are, as we can say:

"Hmm. I wonder how and when this one will end? Let's see, how close is Rob to his 3 months?"

As long as people like to watch what RVD does, that's what I'd do with him.

1. Push

2. Continue

RVD turns heel and joins Heyman. 3 month program with DB over the championship culminating in a gigantic gonzo spot-fest at Summerslam. RVD is a main event level talent and should be pushed that way. Who wouldn't want to see the crazy stuff Van Dam and Bryan could do to one another?! It would have to be hardcore and nuts though. But come on. RVD could put Bryan over and earn him even more credibility through some insane risky matches. I know if that match was on the card I'd be elbowing people out of the way to see it.

Then DB feuds with Cesaro until Royal Rumble, and finally he's ready for Brock at WM. Heyman makes it his mission to dethrone DB using all of his Heyman Guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back