What would make you give up?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
I thought about this as I read about Joe Paterno's death this afternoon.

As anyone who hasn't been hiding behind a rock knows, Paterno was fired late in 2011 because of his supposed role in covering up the Jerry Sandusky scandal. Paterno had lost the love of his life, Penn State football. Yes, he still had his wife and family, but I'd argue that his number one love in life was Penn State football. Paterno had been with the University for 61 years, and the Head Coach for 46 years. And in a period of two days, all of that was taken away from him.

We hear and see stories about people "giving up" on life after losing their spouse, or the most important person in their life. Did Paterno do this after losing his job at Penn State? I have no idea. All I know is that when he was diagnosed on November 18th, his doctors called it "very treatable". Two months later, he passed away.

I saw it in person with my grandmother. She lost her husband 15 years before her death, but she lost much of herself as time went on. As each of her grandkids grew up and started lives, with myself and my little sister moving away, she became depressed. When my twin sister had children, my parents became more involved with being grandparents then spending time with my grandmother, and I believe that sealed her fate. She was having significant arm pain, and refused to get it checked out. By the time my mother forced her to go to the doctor, she had developed Stage 4 breast cancer. She spent two months in the hospital, and was in essence sent "home" to my mother's house to die. Under hospice care, she passed away 6 days later. She had lost her will to live. She gave up.

I've never been tested personally as to where something terribly tragic has happened. All four of my grandparents have passed, and while it still hurts to this day, life has gone on. Ive had two dogs die, one taking her final breath in my arms. A year later, it still hurts, but again, I have so much to live for. I have a wife I adore who feels the same, and a less then month old child. Right now, they're my life. I've got family and friends I love tremendously, but it's just not the same.

With them being my life, I perish but consider the thought of what would happen if I were to lose them. I honestly can't imagine where my life would go following that. And perhaps that would be the thing that would cause me to give up. I have youth on my side, as I'm only 29. But as I lay here next to my sleeping wife and my baby girl in the next room, I tremble inside at the thought of losing either. Losing both is something I can't imagine. And perhaps, perish the thought, it would make me give up on life myself. It's crazy to think that about the two largest blessings in my life.

What about you? Is there anything in life that would make you give up on life? Or do you have something, someone, or some strength you could fall back upon no matter what?

Interesting Padmé Amidala characteristic to the thread. Well that was what popped into my head throughout the day with the Joe Pa talk.

As of right now, I can't see losing anything in life making me just quit wanting to live. Could be because I'm young and haven't experienced a lot in the world. Haven't been in love, haven't had that job that isn't work but a career. The only thing that could possibly drop me into a mind-frame like that is if every family member and friend that I care about and love died in a span of like four months. Even then I'm not entirely sure if I could just give up living life.

Is there a certain strength in my life that gives me this thought? To be honest, at this point in time I really only have my close friends and family when I can't hold my head up myself. I think it may be me being naive to the world. I want to be able to live my life as best I can for as long as I can. I want to see sites and create memories that I'll have forever.

When bad shit happens, it becomes a part of you. When you're younger, I think you have a better chance of being able to cope with it. You have life to live. When you're older, near or after retirement, you've done a lot in life. Had kids, had grandkids, seen many sights in many years. There isn't much more to do so when something bad happens you just stop caring about life.

Losing a partner would probably push me close. Losing both my mom and dad would hit me very hard. And losing my best friends (I have five people who I believe I can talk to about anything, and I lost one last year. If I lost the rest, I don't know what I would do). But I'm not 100% sure anything would make me give up on life completely. I can't say it for certain, none of us can. But we all know what would hit us hard, and I dunno, I suppose depending on the person, there's only so far each of us can be pushed in the end.

Haven been diagnosed with depression at the age of 15 has made me have many "what should I do" thoughts. I'm not the suicidal type but I do think a lot to myself would it even really matter if I was alive, is it even worth being alive. Some days I have trouble even speaking to people and other days I say to myself "why do I even think those suicidal thoughts" because I am feeling pretty well. However most of the time it's tough trying to keep cool.

With that being said I don't think I could ever take my life because of someone or something. I recently have been told that I might have to give up my dream of being an Australian Rules Football player because of this ankylosing spondalitis. Being told that has put me in a dark place and many sleepless nights. It's the only thing I believe in life and it has been my dream ever since I could kick the damn ball. So you could imagine being told I might have to give it up forever is a pretty tough feeling. I basically gave up my chances of going t university so I could focus on football and I am now at the age where I can be drafted to a team. I am currently in the WAFL league which is the league below the AFL so I am doing alright. But even being told I might have to give up my dream couldn't take away the fact that I want to live for a long time.

I also plan on never being in love or getting married or eve have kids so that takes that out of the equation. Losing my friends would be tough but I know that it would probably make our friendship with other friends stronger which would be good. Losing my parents/Brother/other family members would be also tough but I have been told that why be sad when they wouldn't want me to be sad. So I think that would help me through it. It is hard for me to say that considering I haven't lost not even a grand parent and I was pretty upset over the loss of my dogs, but I think I could be alright.

So no I don't think I could take my own life even when I have depression. You always gotta try and see the positives no matter what, even if it is hard to do.

Personally, I think the idea of wanting to give up your life because you lost someone else might be considered a betrayal to the one you lost. If anything, you owe them life, not death. I would like to think that no one who ever was about to die said to someone else: "The best way for you to honor my death is for you to die, too."

Can you even imagine someone feeling that way? I can't.

As for the main question of this topic; the only thing that would make me think of giving up is if my physical condition was hopeless; that the only thing left to me is a miserable death, it just being a question of how soon and how painful it was going to be.

Yes, if the ultimate result is inevitable, I'd give up and look for a way out. Of course, if there's a chance of recovery, I don't think I'd reach that point.

In one of his novels, Stephen King said: "Sometimes dead is better."......Okay, I'll buy that, but only if all options for life have been exhausted.

I'm a lucky man because there isn't one single thing that would make me completely lose my will to live. I have so much in this life to be thankful for that if I lost one of those things, i'd still have so much more to live for. I have the best family I could ever ask for and that's all the reason to continue living. I want to see my baby cousins grow up and get married, I want to see my best friend have kids and see them grow up. I really can't put into one post just how lucky I truly am. My life is not perfect, but I know i'm so much luckier than a majority of people in this world and I am truly happy.

That's one thing I don't understand about the theory that JoPa had nothing to live for. He still had his wife, he had 17 grandchildren and what, five kids? He still had so much to live for even though he lost his long time job that he loved so much. I'd feel selfish in that situation, he had people that loved him and truly cared about him. I doubt he just gave up on all of that.

I'm not the strongest person around. I put on a tough exterior but on the inside I'm just as frail as anybody else, always been this way. I may not have had the unfortunate tragedy of losing a family member or fall into a deep money pit but I have come close many of times to giving up. Only because I was young and naive.

For me, the most depressing thing is the world we live in. Its seems as though you turn on the T.V or read on the net of some new misfortune or some tragic disaster or killing. For beings who seem to journey and strive for true happiness, it strikes me odd that we always focus on the gloom and abundance of constant disarray in the world. However it doesn't feel so much that I've given up so more than everybody else has.

I could never give up on myself because I know better. I know that has bad as things seem to get that I'm always in full control at all times. It comes down to how I choose to acknowledge and responded to the situation. I can choose to respond negatively and let it boil and erode me from the inside or I can choose to rise above it and approach it in a sensible and diplomatic manner. The only person who can truly stand in my way in this world is myself. I'm fully aware of this and I fully understand it, I'm done making excuses. Life is a journey and we all experience it differently. Whether it be good or bad,ultimately we our the masters of our own fate and we can choose to be something more.

With that said, its still frustrating when I think about my actual place in this world, what is my purpose? Do I even have one? In the grand scheme of things,does it really matter? My mind still scurries over these turbulent thoughts I have. Its when my frustration to uncover answers to these questions climax without a sign of results,its then I feel like giving up. I try not to ever think about them but questions like those and past experiences and years of tug and war with depression really hinder my progress towards self revelation and personal enlightenment. Its a long and tedious undertaking but ever so slowly,I'm always advancing,one step at a time.

I can't say how long this adventure of mine will take before I full liberate myself of my insecurity's and inhibitions but one day it will all fall into place and I will become a better man because of it. I must be one with myself. Most people aren't and conflict(inside or out)stirs because of it. Someday I will truly be comfortable in the skin I'm in.

Too answer the question though. What could ever make me give up? Simple,me. I am the only obstacle that can get in my way, in a consciousness manner of speaking. If I ever give up its because I allowed it so. I don't so much try to stay positive about it because sometimes it can be down right difficult. I would just rather rationally philosophize my situation. I can't just turn on a switch and say okay,I'ma just be positive, even though I don't feel like being positive. I don't have to be positive but as long as I understand any situation I ever find myself in, I'm satisfied with being content. We are imperfect beings trying to live and survive in an imperfect world. There will always be imperfections. I say, stop fighting them.

What about you? Is there anything in life that would make you give up on life? Or do you have something, someone, or some strength you could fall back upon no matter what?

The only thing that could ever make me give up on life would be losing my fiancé, she's been my world for as long as I can remember and I wouldn't be able to get through one day without her in this earth. Now if we had kids and something happened to her I would be a goddamn misrible fuck for the remainder of my life but I would push through it to take care of my children. But if I lost her right now I can honestly say that I would probably not have the heart or desire to go on without her, not to sound like some emo punk and I've got a great life full of people and things that make me happy but she IS my world and I could not live without her.

I've been close to losing my will at a point. I grew pretty careless to the point that if I was threatened with a knife or gun, I'd just laugh sarcastically. Life isn't fun to live alone and much less when you attached to one or many people. Losing many people, even if they don't die, hurts if there's a strong enough bond. The less support there is to your life, the less you wanna live it out. Many of my close relatives have moved away, died or even turned their backs on me, so at this point I'd say that if I didn't lose it then, I'll be much harder to lose it now.

Well I do think there is a lot of validity in the fact that losing someone or something very close takes away a lot from your desire to go on, especially in old age. I have seen it happen to someone very close to me.

To answer the question, at this point I do not have anything that would make me give up. One thing my parents taught me later on life was 'noone is indispensable'. Doesn't mean they don't love me like crazy and vice versa but a lotta shit has happened already and we have stuck together. But I know life can only be folloed by one thing. And losing someone that you have loved all your life will tear you apart, but you go on. It still hurts when you think about the, you still get misty-eyed, but you go on.

I've watched my life go from promising, straight edge young man at a job I'd planned for my entire life turn into utter rubbish. After learning the lesson "don't shit where you eat" at work I began changing out with a friend who'd recently moved back. Lets call him "Nate". Nate the boozer. Next I found myself well into alcohol and it began...

I started hearing from coworkers how abuse I had been to my girlfriend and with my newly acquired party attitude the believed her. It sucked going into work and hearing that, I've never hit anybody! I drank more and more, took a few bong rips and then I was really far gone.

I was a severe alcoholic in no time! Getting drunk from chugging cheap vodka and passing out several times every day, starting at about 2 am. When I stopped drinking at work out of respect for my boss (who tried and tried to help me rather than firing my ass) I started doing lines of cocaine or pain relievers in the men's room, one or the other ALWAYS! I was spending five days at a time awake and coked out of my mind. One day, "Nate" left me somewhere with no phone and no ride and they fired me for a no call no show. That was it. Maxed out on bills, hyper-advanced drug and substance abuse, and worst of all people still sympathized with "Nate", a convicted felon instead of Christian boy SleepingPowder. F you I said and made an attempt.

I was sure it would work, but it didn't. That was like, two months ago? Most of it was depression that's gone untreated for over 15 years, complimented by an acquired paranoia that made me lose sleep because of all the "terrible things so much worse than death my own mother would delight in doing to me once my eyes were closed."

I still smoke my share of weed and have a beer everynow and then, but what the hell, baby steps. I learned after trying to get help from friends and failing that if anyone, ANYONE is ever feeling that way I can and will be here for them, cause its impossible to stop on your own. Come talk to Sleepy if you're feeling down :)

I'll admit that I've never given serious consideration to this possibility, partly because I'm still young and in my prime, and partly because even with the heartbreak of losing my father (just months after seeing his employer and friend die before his very eyes), I still see much to do (and redo, and do again) before I inevitably pass on.

Maybe this is naivete on my part, but even losing more and more of my eyesight, day after dimming day - or the prospect of losing all I have worked for and wanted - or a hampered future, full of imaginings but not enough reality to anchor to, like a spurned version of a Madame Bovary - doesn't really faze me. I know that God is good and has plans for someone as good as me (or is this overweening pride I'm sensing?), and I'll just have to trudge on. It's all in the trudging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back