What next for Rampage?

jmt225

Global Moderator
No point in asking what's next for Rashad, since we already know... but Rampage's future is in doubt. There's no telling who or when he'll fight again. So, let's see if we can figure it out for ourselves before it all unfolds.

That said, what do you think the future holds for Rampage? If you had to put money on it, who do you think his next fight will be against, and do you think it'll happen before 2011? Will it be against a contender, an up-and-comer, or some chump?

Also, if YOU were the match-maker, who would you book Rampage up against next?

....................................................................​

Okay, I want to answer that last question first... without hesitation, right now I'd be setting up Rampage vs. Forrest 2 for sometime in September/October. There's not a better fight for either individual right now in my opinion, and it gives the winner instant credibility once more in the Light Heavyweight Division. Moreover, neither would take a huge blow if they lost this fight as well. Without a doubt Rampage/Forrest 2 is the best option to go with right now if you ask me.

However, I don't think the UFC will go that route. Listen, I respect Rampage as a fighter a lot, but I've always felt since coming to the UFC he's been pampered, and I think that'll continue to be the case. I think they're going to match him up next against some chump with a decent record/name attached to him. Someone like Brandon Vera, or maybe even the winner of Stephan Bonner/Krzysztof Soszynski. It'll probably go down in something like December too.

Most likely Dana's going to give the guy some time off to recover from this loss against Evans, and then feed someone to him so 'Page can get back in the groove of things. It's a great business move when you think about it, since Rampage is so valuable to the company, but meh... it's not really best for us fans. But maybe I turn out to be wrong and they match Rampage against someone who we'll be able to get excited about, who knows. What do you think?

I agree that the rematch with Forrest would be one of the best options. The first fight was tremendous and a lot of fight fans have wanted to see the sequel for some time now. However, Forrest is coming off of a win and Rampage is coming off of a loss. MMA Live was talking about this last night and when I think about it I can see it. The UFC doesn't like pitting someone who just won and someone who just loss together, so I expect to see Rampage either fight a lesser name fighter or fight another big name who is coming off of a loss and that really only leaves one man. Lyoto Machida.

I think the top option right now is a fight between Rampage and Machida. Both are coming off losses and are elite talents. A win for either man over the other catapults the winner right back into the title picture or at least back into the hunt. Also, Machida verses Rampage would be a very interesting match up. Rashad couldn't crack the code of Machida but Rua could, so the question can be asked, what about the other big name fighters. Right now I think the best option is a Rampage/Machida fight.

Hey Yo!
I believe Rampage will leave the UFC and pursue his acting career. But and i hope he doesnt because i enjoy his fights they're quite entertaining. If Rampage were to stay in the UFC his next fight should be with Ryan Bader im not sure if he is on any cards soon but he's last fight against Keith Jardine was real good he looked real good and i think he deserves this against Rampage. And it would be a good fight for Rampage to get back some credibility and also for Ryan Bader to become more established.
.Tha Wolfpac.

Well from what I read yesterday it sounds like Rampage will be fighting Machida next. I don't like this fight. I'm a big Page fan, and I honestly think he would get dominated by Machida. This fight would make sense though considering their both in the top 5 LHW picture, and are both coming off losses. I'd like to see Forrest/Page 2 because I think Page could take him this time. He just needs to learn to check leg kicks. I'm very interested in seeing what the UFC decides as his next fight.

Yeah, this is confirmation that Dana still hates Rampage.

Machida is the worst possible matchup for Rampage. If Rampage couldn't deal with the speed of Rashad Evans, then Machida is going to run circles around him. Rampage would also fall victim to the classic Machida counter strike strategy... especially where he'd be too slow to avert it. Sure, Rampage could nail him with a huge shot, and we don't know where Machida is mentally after the Shogun fight, but stylistically, Machida has such a huge advantage.

It wouldn't be a fun fight, because Machida would most likely make real quick work of Rampage. After that point, Rampage would probably be so depressed that he'd probably go on another literal rampage.

Right now, I think either Lil Nog, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, or a Forrest Griffin rematch should be what is next for Rampage. These matchups would be pretty interesting/entertaining and wouldn't be so ridiculously one-sided.

I'll have to agree that INDYjon22 has an interesting choice with machida( and i'm not saying that because we're the same age and we live within 30 miles of each other but) because it would be a real slobberknocker if rampage didn't take another huge layoff and stayed in shape and i'm not sure what machida's current mindset is after being dominated by shogun

Hey Yo!
I believe Rampage will leave the UFC and pursue his acting career.

Rampage announced when he took the Rashad fight that he will honor the rest of his contracy with the UFC, so we will see a couple more fights out of him at least.

I think the UFC needs to scrap both ideas circling around either Forrest/Machida or Rampage/Machida and just go ahead with a Rampage vs. Forrest rematch. Rampage and Forrest match up horribly against Machida. I feel that Rampage a better tune up opponent than throwing him Machida after he just fought Evans. I do believe he will fight before 2011 since he really didn't take much damage from the Evans fight, he looked in great shape from when we saw him a few months back. Then watching the Primetime show and his trainer said he came in at 250 something pounds and him making weight for the fight.

Another opponent I wouldn't mind for him would be another rematch this time against Keith Jardine, I know he's fighting Matt Hamill at TUF finale in a couple weeks, but if he doesnt get hurt, they can book it for Oct./Nov.
Their first fight was pretty close and I bet a lot of people wouldn't mind seeing a rematch with them either.

I think another question to ask about Rampage is will he sign another contract after this one runs out?

To answer it, I would say he will sign another but have some clause that will let him do a movie if he's offered a role, so theres not the shit that went on with the A-Team movie. He is still a draw whether he's in title contention or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back