What Makes Someone Best in the World? (Professional Wrestling)

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
For a long while now, CM Punk has been stating that he is the best in the world and there a few who I know would agree with that statement but a lot who would absolutely disagree. I will try to divulge into what makes someone best in the world and then give my pick who is indeed the best in the world.

CM Punk stating he is the best in the world at what he does has been a complete lie. I'll admit he is indeed very good at what he does, but he has clearly stated he is the best "wrester, best talker, best ass kicker, best at what he does and more importantly best in the world." His current validation of the point he has been WWE champion for 373 days and counting. This title reign has been flawed, and for sure has not made him best in the world. So if its not title reigns, and not making a direct statement, what makes you best in the world? I have come up with 5 attributes that I feel someone who is the best professional wrestler must indeed have.

1) Cutting Amazing Promos

Currently in the world there are those who know how to cut promos and those who don't. Promo giving is essential in the establishment of character as well as the building of a fan reaction. Promos are what defines you and takes you from being a good superstar to a great superstar. So in this category I believe that the top 5 promo givers in wrestling are:

5) Bully Ray
4) CM Punk
3) Vince McMahon
2) John Cena
1) The Rock

As you can see a ranking of CM Punk at number 4 already shows that he is not the best at giving promos and therefore debunks his statement that he is indeed the best at it.

The next category that must be looked at is simply Technical Wrestling.

Technical Wrestling helps define who you are inside the ring as well as provides entertainmeent to mass audiences. In addition, being talented in ring is essential in making you look good to the higher ups and as well as look good in the eyes of wrestling fans. So without further ado here are the Top 5 current technical wrestlers:

5) Undertaker
4) Daniel Bryan
3) Dolph Ziggler
2) Austin Aries
1) CM Punk

I'll admit I truly believe CM Punk is one of the most gifted inside the ring however I feel that this category can be over rated in that a lot of wrestling greats ex: Andre, Stone Cold, Cena were not the best in ring in terms of variety and intrigue but could also put on great matches.

The next category that makes you the Best is Fan reactions.

You can't be considered great with the support of the crowd. If the crowd is not interested in you then you literallly have no career. The very best in the world should get the very best reactions and so therefore the Top 5: Crowd Reaction attainers are:

5) CM Punk
4) Undertaker
3) Vickie Guerrero
2) John Cena
1) The Rock

Looking at this list I feel that there are no suprises however for the first time we get a female on this list. CM Punk who proclaims he is the best came in at 5... hmm interesting cause he says he's the best

The next category that one must assess is Accolades.

But this is a fake sport... its predetermined.. it doesn't matter. Any wrestling company puts the best people they have as their champion. Even though it is fake it doesn't matter you won over your comapny and therefore are able to have an accolade in wrestling. So the current (as in under a wrestling contract at this moment) Top 5 for accolades (not necessarily title reigns) are:

5) Triple H
4) Kurt Angle
3) Hulk Hogan
2) John Cena
1) Jerry Lawler

I'll admit that this is a very debatable list due to what is considered accolades and what is not. However there is no denying that Jerry Lawler deserves number one on any most accolades list.

The last category I feel is important is Publicity.

Sometimes it is equally important what you do outside the ring as it is inside the ring. You wanted to get noticed in a POSITIVE WAY. Ergo (Hogan is not someone to aspire to.) If you are a good person outside do a lot to get over than you are one of the best for the company. And before anyone asks I'm eliminating the Rock from this because although he is under contract it's not into effect until after TLC so he's had a long while to film movies.

5) Triple H
4) Kofi Kingston
3) CM Punk
2) Miz
1) John Cena

I think there is pretty much no arguing this top 5 except maybe Kofi however I can justify him being there.

Overall Thougt

Clearly individual categories aren't what makes you the best as there are a myriad of exceptions. However I feel that whoever is best is who exhibits all the categories into one person. So who is the best in the world you ask? Well according to me the answer is simple and you're not going to like it...

John Cena

Putting "Best in the World" makes you the Best in the World.

Look at CM Punk, he's the best in the world. It says so on his shirt.

So without further ado here are the Top 5 current technical wrestlers:

5) Undertaker
4) Daniel Bryan
3) Dolph Ziggler
2) Austin Aries
1) CM Punk

CM Punk is nowhere near the best technical wrestlers. Neither is Undertaker. And Ziggler :banghead:

One guy that I truly believe should be near the top of that list is del Rio. He may be boring at almost everything, but is one of the best in the ring.

Did Taker do some work in Japan that I'm unaware of? Because the last thing that I'd call him would be a technical wrestler. One of the last things, at least. I probably wouldn't call him a pussy.

To be the Best In The World, in professional wrestling, means that you're the guy who uses that as a catch phrase. It's not a statement meant to be deliberately accurate, it's a statement that inflates a cocky heel.

In order:

1. Drawing ability
2. Merchandise sales
3. Pussy attained (quality)
4. Pussy attained (quantity)
5. Crowd response
6. Autograph requests
7. Experience
8. Legacy
9. A reliable GPS
10. Penis size

Submission holds, ground work, locks. Sort of the ethos of defeating an opponent by wearing them down with a series of delicate and often complicated manoeuvres as opposed to landing a big move and pinning someone. Bret Hart, and the manner in which he would apply many holds to the legs and work extensively on them in intricate ways during a match before applying his finishing submission move, is a prime example.

To answer the question though. I see it as a combination of factors. The best all-rounder. I would consider someone the best if they have a diverse range, so they can play a heel or a face well and also a range of characters, someone who can adapt but also most significantly draw well no matter what it is they are doing. In-ring quality is somewhat important, but not at the hilt of the scale. Character and drawing are paramount. People who I think fit that bill are guys like The Rock, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, Sting etc...

Learned exactly what a technical wrestler is. This category is now changed to....

AMENDMENT TO TECHNICAL WRESTLER LIST

5) Jack Swagger
4) Randy Orton
3) Sin Cara
2) Daniel Bryan
1) Alberto Del Rio

Although I'll be fair I don't watch TNA just read it so I don't know if there is anyone who should be replaced by anyone there (Kurt Angle maybe)

I'm pretty sure to be "the best in the world" all you have to do is get called as much in a chant by smarks at an IPPV that nobody is ordering, by beating last months flavor of the weak....

Learned exactly what a technical wrestler is. This category is now changed to....

AMENDMENT TO TECHNICAL WRESTLER LIST

5) Jack Swagger
4) Randy Orton
3) Sin Cara
2) Daniel Bryan
1) Alberto Del Rio

Although I'll be fair I don't watch TNA just read it so I don't know if there is anyone who should be replaced by anyone there (Kurt Angle maybe)
Kurt Angle should definitely be there. Plus it may just be TNA and you don't want to count it but Hogan still gets a huge pop. If you're going to put part timers and non-wrestlers like Vickie on your list for crowd reaction then Hogan needs to be on there.

There's no such thing as best in the world when it comes to wrestling because there is no one who is going to rank in the top 5 in all those categories. The closest one though would be Kurt Angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back