What Makes an Effective Beat-Down?

Klown_Karnage

Slapstick Heavyweight Champion
My apologies if this thread is in the wrong section. As it concerns wrestling in general, I figured this would be the best place for it.

Before I get into the meat of this thread, I'd like to skirt the potatoes and vegetables a bit and share how the idea for it came about. Recently, I hit something of a milestone in my time at Wrestlezone: my first negative rep. It was apparently because I dared to express the opinion that an ending segment on Raw (which everyone will likely be aware of by now) was gratuitous to the point of being boring. I suppose it only goes to prove that expressing the "wrong" opinion, no matter how clearly explained or articulately presented, has consequences. Meh, if that's the price for having the guts to hold an unpopular opinion, I'll take that bump.

Still, the red mark and the comments that came with it got me to thinking about the general concept of the "beat-down" in professional wrestling. We all have seen it, where one or more heels ambush a face and beat him up until he's unconscious or unable to move without the face able to mount an appreciable counter-offense. Bit like a squash match without a ref. I'll admit to being somewhat prejudiced against it because I don't personally find it entertaining, although I do recognize it as a necessary tool in the heels arsenal as a cheap, easy and economical way of drawing heat. While I normally choose to click to something else or hit the fast forward button, particularly during a long and extended beat-down, apparently there are others who very much enjoy it. So perhaps I'm missing something, some piece of the puzzle that might make the genius of it apparent.

My question to the Wrestlezone community is this: What about a beat-down keeps it entertaining, particularly in the case of extended beat-downs? If not all beat-downs are entertaining, what about an entertaining beat-down makes it so? Give to me an example of one of the best ambushes/beat-downs you've seen, please.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here and am eager to learn. In conclusion, I'd like to dedicate this thread to the one who hit me with the bad rep in the first place, without whom all of this would not have been necessary.

Recently, I hit something of a milestone in my time at Wrestlezone: my first negative rep. It was apparently because I dared to express the opinion that an ending segment on Raw (which everyone will likely be aware of by now) was gratuitous to the point of being boring. I suppose it only goes to prove that expressing the "wrong" opinion, no matter how clearly explained or articulately presented, has consequences. Meh, if that's the price for having the guts to hold an unpopular opinion, I'll take that bump.

I always thought "disapproving" something meant it was either:

A. spam
B. off-topic
C. ridiculous statement
D. all of the above

To get red rep for an opinion that had to do with the topic at hand is a little bit biased. Whoever did that should have known better; especially over last night and how many mediocre marks were posting. I remember reading your post in that particular thread and I said similar things.

My question to the Wrestlezone community is this: What about a beat-down keeps it entertaining, particularly in the case of extended beat-downs? If not all beat-downs are entertaining, what about an entertaining beat-down makes it so? Give to me an example of one of the best ambushes/beat-downs you've seen, please.

I was under the impression that last night's beat-down ran a bit longer than what I would consider a good time to call it quits. Ten minutes is usually saved for a really good bout, not an invasion. 5 minutes would have been perfect to set the bar for the NXT, and maybe a little longer than that, but that's my opinion, and I don't consider opinions wrong as long as you give good reason behind it.

Extended beat-downs I believe can only be entertaining if there is an actual balance of good guys vs. bad guys or whatever. NXT vs. Cena..and Punk was extremely one sided, and nobody came out to even help The Champ so I didn't find it quite as entertaining as most did.

Especially when the rest of us had to sit through 2 hours and 50 minutes of uninteresting comedy skits.

As for the best beat-down I had seen, I would have to go for the first ECW One Night Stand. Random people from ECW's history book kept coming out and made it interesting. The flow kept going from Dudleys to Sandman/Dreamer to Anti-ECW to Old ECW to Eric Bichoff to Stone Cold. Best invasion I had ever witnessed, and kept constant climax throughout the whole ordeal.

To me a proper beat down first of all needs numbers, not the size of the rookies this week, but I enjoyed it so I live with the fact that there were 8 people beating down on John Cena, I personally don't think the numbers should exceed 4 if there's really need for a beat down.

A beat down needs to have dominance (duh) it needs to further some kind of storyline, not just something to make an impact or to beat down for the sake of beating down.

What really makes a great beat down is something that helps someone get over as either a heel, or the guy being beaten down, getting over as a face for some kind of come-back or taking a stand before he gets his ass kicked.

There's a lot of ways to handle a beat down nicely, but I think these are the primary things I want to see behind a beat down for it to be considered "effective" and "good"

I think a proper beat down should only involve in ring competitors.They way those rookies where carrying on last night was ridiculous.Strangling the ring announcer with his tie? Really,Heath Slater? REALLY? There should not have been 8 full sized grown men beating the daylights out of Cena for that long.But had they not used all of them it wouldn't have had such an impact.But in all honesty,usually a good beat down should come at the end of the show,last 1-3 minutes and always have the ratio at least 2 heels to 1 face.Other than that,it just looks like gang violence.

Two things:

1. Execution.

The most powerful beat-downs in history saw whatever group of heels were beating the face down all hit their respective finishers, one after another. Anytime this happens and the face is left unconscious, bleeding, or both – often removed on a stretcher – you've achieved the first step to success.

2. Follow-Through.

Heels hate face. Heels lose to face in some fashion (usually crowd response/support). Heels beat face within an inch of his/her life. Heels brag about how they are the best. Face comes back against all odds to beat all heels in dramatic fashion.

To me, that's the formula that needs to be attached to it, and the hinge for the success of a beat-down pivots on that most importantly – the follow-up. Cena is the babyface here, which means at some point or another he needs to come out on top. If he doesn't, the beat-down (in this case) fails, as it wasn't designed to write him out of a story a la the MEM sending Christian Cage back to the WWE or Sheamus retiring Jamie Noble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back