• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Makes A Great Match?

LCShazardous

Occasional Pre-Show
okay this is my 1st thread since being banned from the WZ forums for spamming, even though i don't recall spamming, and the only thing i did was bring up the matter of some good indy wrestlers but thats not the case

this has been something that has puzzled me for a long time and as an aspiring pro wrestler i want to know what makes a good match. after watching literally thousands of above mediocre to great matches it always seems to come down to one thing: Time. with time allot more back and fourth action can be done, allot more pin attempts can be done allot more time to get the fans to go nuts. i mean i can't recall an amazing 4 minute main event that made the fans go crazy. they all seem to be about 15 minutes or more

one of my personal favorite matches of all time and the match that made me into the absolute wrestling addict i am today would have to be John Cena vs. Shawn Michale's at WM23. i ussually hate to watch Cena wrestle but i love to watch HBK and something about this match really made me go nuts. it started out slow, built a quicker pace, went back and fourth allot, signatures and finishers were exchanged multiple times, and it had a little bit of everything wrapped up into one match. now this match was about (i suck at estimating time) 20-30 minutes or so

can this kinda match really be done in 7 minutes?

so I'm simply asking:
what makes a good match?
to me, time is the most important factor in a match because u can't make the match look amazing withing 5 minutes. granted build up and chemistry have something to do with great matches but to me time is the most important

so what do u people think makes a great match? and please give a good example to show ur reasoning.

While there are certainly other things, the biggest thing for me is having doubt about who is going to win. What I mean by doubt is that when you know going into a match that a person is going to win but during the match they can make you believe otherwise. I would point to Shelton vs. Shawn in the match that everyone knows from 2005. There was little doubt that Shawn would win in the end, but in the later parts of the match, Shelton kept getting closer and closer to it and he had me actually believing he could pull it off.

The other thing that goes hand in hand with that is a story and psychology. Now this term is thrown around a lot but it can be something as simple as what Davey Boy Smith and HBK did on Saturday Night's Main Event in 1992. Smith had hurt his back earlier on in the match lifting Shawn and Shawn worked on the back all match. The match ended with Smith going for a top rope suplex and his back giving out. See how simple that is? It brings the match full circle and something that happened earelier in the match plays into the finish. That's a very basic story but it makes the back injury means something. It can be that simple but it makes a world of difference in a good match and a bad match at times.

Storytelling
A good match contains a story, rather it's good prevailing over evil, vice versa, David vs. Gilliath, battle for gold, or something entirely different. The story is told through the wrestler's selling, actions, taunts, moves, gestures, body movement, and facial expressions. For a match to be good, it's essential that the match contain a visible story.

Suspend belief
A good match should suspend your belief, and have you thinking the match you're watching is a legit battle. It has you compelled to see what happens next, and on the edge of your seat rooting for your guy.

Chemistry
I think the chemistry between the two competeters is an important element in a match. Usually, they gain this by either having it at the get go, or wrestling numerous times. You can tell who has chemistry in the ring, and it's immense joy to watch.

Putting over
A good match should have both the face and heel looking stronger for being in a said match. It puts both over. A good match should have this, as it's terribly important for not only the long-term, but the given match itself.

What makes a good match, IMO, is a combination of many things. I will point out the most important.

Storytelling
A great match always has a great story. The story of the match should always be clear. Whether that be for a title, good vs evil, a rivalry, respect, big vs small, or what have you. If a match doesn't have a great story that is clear to the fans, then the match isn't going to be great.

Uncertainty
A great match should have you wondering who is going to win. Undertaker/HBK WM 25 is a great example. We all thought going into the match that 'Taker was going to win. During the match, however, HBK made us believe that he actually had a chance when he kicked out of the Tombstone. It made us believe that 'Taker might actually lose.

Psychology
The two people in the ring should have a vast knowledge of wrestling psychology. What I mean by this is that they should know how to make the audience feel their pain and they should know how to project their emotions to the audience. If you watch a match you think to yourself, "That looked like it hurt," or, "Man he looks pissed, sad, suprised, what have you." Then the two in the match are showing great psychology.

Suspense
IMO a great match should have some level of suspense. You should be on the edge of your seat while watching the match. A great example of this is, really, any high profile match with a submission hold. Watching and thinking, "Wow, is he gonna make it to the ropes or tap?"

There are other things that make a great match, but these, IMO, are very important to a great match. I don't think that someone always has to be put over in a match, but that always helps aswell.

That is all!

Well having worked on the indy scene myself I can tell you that you might as well forget the time thing. Even though most indy shows arent taped for t.v. the promoters usually only give you 10 to 15 minutes at most and this includes your entrance. Reason being is most buildings they rent tell them they have to pay extra if they are not out by a certain time. Anyway it takes alot to make a good match. A promoter could give you 2 hours and if you dont no how to work it will still suck. Basically the worker needs to understand how to tell a story in the ring, how to use psychology right, and this one comes in to play with psychology as well but he has to be able to connect with the fans. You also need to be willing to make yourself look bad to make the other guy look good. Now on the indy level you also need to get lucky enough to be matched up with someone else who understands this. Unlike the WWE the guys that suck dont no their roles in the indys. Every guy in the indys thinks he is the next Hulk Hogan so you need a guy that gets it and will work with you instead of just trying to make himself look good. Most guys I see that come into the indys it takes them around 4 years to ever have their first good match. Now before I get flamed I didnt say everyone I said most, their are some naturals out their.

The proper build up in promo time match time and the overall length of the program. Cean vs HBK at wm 23 was great. The match itself was great and got better as it wen along. Prior to it, the weeks leading up had Cena and HBK teaming up, cutting promos on eachother, and hell they even turned on eachother as tag team champions!

There needs to be a good legit reason why 2 superstars don't like eachother or something worth fighting about. Then each superstar needs time to promote themselves or bash their opponent. Have matches against other guys to on up the rival and also have back and forth wins and losses to the rival, with each match ocassionally getting longer and at the ppvs make each match more brutal. the feud also has be built up time wise. You can't just expect greatness in a 1 month program. A nice one usually will take at least 3 months. I don't know there are many elements that are needed for a great feud or match. It all depends on the fan.

okay this is my 1st thread since being banned from the WZ forums for spamming, even though i don't recall spamming, and the only thing i did was bring up the matter of some good indy wrestlers but thats not the case

You put it in the wrong section. And, you didn't get banned for spamming. You got banned for your repeated violations of the rules. It wasn't an auto ban, it was because you got three infractions in the same 60 day period. Now, if you would like to continue to protest publicly, you can, or you can shoot me a PM and I can explain it to you in very small words.
this has been something that has puzzled me for a long time and as an aspiring pro wrestler i want to know what makes a good match. after watching literally thousands of above mediocre to great matches it always seems to come down to one thing: Time. with time allot more back and fourth action can be done, allot more pin attempts can be done allot more time to get the fans to go nuts. i mean i can't recall an amazing 4 minute main event that made the fans go crazy. they all seem to be about 15 minutes or more

This is not the case at all. Indy wrestlers need to learn how to tell a story. It seems that everyone thinks flips and near falls make a good match. That is not the case at all. They are two minor elements of a good match. What makes a good match is telling a story. When your moves follow a logical series of events, when you can convey arrogance or emergency, when you can make the crowd care for your well being, then you have put on a good match.

Hogan and Warrior put on a match, in 15 minutes, devoid of flips and for the most part, consisting of rest holds and throws. The reason people cares was that they told a great story. It started off with Hogan being shocked at the power of Warrior. He couldn't handle it at first, so he fell back on his experience. Once he got the upper hand, he used his strength to contain a wounded Warrior. Once Warrior got an opening, he began to work from the stamina of youth, working Hogan over. After that, Hogan, drew from the power of the crowd, and fought back, but alas, Warrior drew more from the crowd, Hogan saw that the torch needed to be passed, and eventually, he succumbed to new force in the WWF. That told an entire story.

The flippy fun matches are a scene in a movie. If you watch any action movie, the exciting moves set up a climax. Those exciting, back and forth matches generally just build to the important match. Hogan and Warrior put on a match that told a story, and make everything else under it better by association.

I'm surprised no one really cited the Shawn Michales/Undertaker match from this year's Wrestlemaina. Now THAT was not only a good match, it was classic, timeless and one of the greatest matches I have ever seen in my life. I remember being at work that night and not getting off until a little after the pay-per-view ended, coming home and not wanting anyone to tell me about it. I honestly didn't know who was going to win that match (and I know wrestling for the most parts, is scripted and pre-determined) but I was like damn, I just want to feel like a kid again and not know what was going to happen. I remember watching that match and feeling like can Taker actually lose? Will Shawn win? It just seemed to go on forever and ever.

Plus, what also helped the match was the commentary. Ross was on top of his game as he called the match and of course Lawler and Cole followed his lead. When Taker basically threw it all at him and Shawn wouldn't stay down, I was feeling like how I felt when my Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants. Like damn, "He's really gonna lose this match." This match will be shown twenty years from now and it'll be still be as good as the first time everyone saw it.

I honestly believe one of the biggest keys to a "great match" is the crowd. Hogan vs. Rock was elevated because of the Toronto crowd. If the crowd was dead I don't think we'd remember that match the same. UT vs Michaels at WM was a great match because the crowd so many times thought the match was over and yet there was kick out after kick out. If the crowd doesn't buy the match its hard to have a great match. I am sure there are examples of great matches where the crowd isn't interested but I feel great lively crowds elevate the match.

Elements to a good match: length (15 or more mins. but 15 is pushing it), no botches of course (thanks mickey and gail kim) high impact moves (and a few that make you say that was nice or no way), the setting (WM or a ppv always helps), and the crowd. so don't expect your match your match to be considered good if you do it in Chicago or Canada. I'm just saying

since you want to become a pro wrestler i will give my opinion on what makes a match great and i will give you matches for you to take notes from each point

Storytelling- every good match must be able to tell a story through the match the main match that i think it was great and only revolved about the story that was told during the match- Cena vs Orton i quit at breaking point or a normal wrestling match then most recent match i can remember is the match Orton vs HBK at Survivor series 07

Drama- every good match has to have some drama and when i mean drama is to now how to do finishers in the right time and kicking out of them the HBK vs Taker at mania is a prime exemple of that. its very rare to see a match with 0 drama and still be great if you want to see a match like this the Orton vs Benoit at summerslam 04 is your match

Selling- every good match you should be able make your opponent look good by selling the moves and making the moves look like it hurted. matches like this all of mr perfect matches

Wrestling- every good match should have good wrestling, counters all that sort of stuff. the match that you should focus on is the Kurt angle vs Benoit at the RR 03 it was a fantastic match

Time of the match- every good match should be given time for the wrestlers to build up the match and have a great match out of it.
not all the time you see a great match in less than 15min the matches that i remember that were great and were less than 15 min were:
Orton vs Edge the raw after backlash 07
Angle vs Benoit unforgiven 02
Rey vs Jericho JD 09

In my opinion it takes a few things to make up a good match. First off the two wrestlers have to mesh. Their in ring styles and movesets have to play well off each other. They also have to be able to sell the more " powerful " moves to help tell the story in the ring. Chemistry is the major thing for me.

The matches have to have a build to them or a feud behind them. I don't particularly like when they just throw opponents at one another just for the hell of it.

Also the last thing is the atmosphere in the arena. If I am at home watching a match and I feel it is crap I can only imagine how the live audience feels. If the audience isn't feeling it then it usually goes the same for me. If the audience is loud and chanting then that is a good sign that the two wrestlers are doing a good job.

I would have to say

Unpredictability: Even though I hated it, I have to recognize it. The WHC in Montreal in Breaking Point ended some kind of surprisingly, including a sudden heel by Teddy Long.

Development of the match: I remember Undertaker v. Michaels where nobody knew where would be over. An almost countout, a tombstone without the pinfall, Sweet chin music,....well

Perhaps...time:
I would have to remind you that Taker-Michaels last 30 minutes, but another reat mach for me, Punk-Hardy in Summerslam, last 20 minutes. Rock-Hogan in WM X8 last 18 minutes or something like that. So, is isn't so much about time. Is more about background. no matches made suddenly

A ton of things. But my preferences are gonna be different than everyone else.

1) Wrestlers - Depending on who you have in the ring and what they are capable of. How they sell moves, can they put a lesser opponent over? Bret Hart, Owen Hart, British Bulldog, HBK, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Mankind, Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, Rob Van Dam, Chris Jericho, etc etc......these guys were masters of these techniques, they elevated almost everyone they were put in the ring with, they could wrestle almost anyone - Heavyweights, cruiserweights, big guys small guys etc etc and they could still have a great match.

To me this is what separates a good wrestler from a great wrestler.

2) Counters/Reversals - The more counters/reversals, different pinfall attempts. Nearfalls build suspense. 2!!!!!!!! Creative maneuvers, and unique counters always make for exciting match components.

3) Fast paced action (not always but it helps with # 2) and as the match continues it makes the slow down seem more realistic.

4) Crowd Reaction - Having a great crowd (Canada, NY, etc) makes for better matches, and these areas expect great matches.

5) Build-up/Story - Rock/Hogan, Rock/Brock, HBK/Bret Hart, Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Warrior, Angle/HBK, etc etc.....these are examples of great build-up. When you can feel the energy in the arena and know that the wait is over and it's put up or shut-up time.

6) Finish - A finish can make or break a match. I've seen great matches be ruined by a finish and so-so matches made better by a finish. A DQ or a count-out is an example of a bad finish for great matches. The IronMan match is an example of a great finish. OT when no one was expecting it, after everyone thought a crappy finish was about to occur with a draw.

7) Emotion - HBK/Y2J, Hogan/Warrior, Rock/Hogan, Flair/HBK, these make matches more memorable when both guys shake hands or show respect or admission of defeat. It's very dramatic.

8) Titles - Of course vying for a championship never hurts. It gives the match more meaning.

9) Changing of the Guard - A heel turn or face turn, can be a big thing and it usually is, but should only add to a great match and not make it a great match.

Those are some of the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back