• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is your favourite comedic angle?

Radical Canadian Goose

Getting Noticed By Management
After watching Santino night in and night out performing with comedic brilliance, and seeing his match and the aftermath with Kozlov on Monday, I I realized that comedy is a big part of wrestling. I want to know what your favourite comedic angle is/was.

Personally I enjoyed two more than others.. Both of these took place in the late 90s/early 2000s.

The first one was Chavo and Pepe as well as Saturn and Moppy. They both happened simultaneously as I can't remember who parodied who. Both were instant classic stories... However I liked Pepe ever.

The second was the Kaientai/Val Venis feud...Venis was screwing the managers wife...but just hearing Japanese guys yelling "Choppy Choppy" will always make me howl

Tell me what you think

One of my favorites of all time has to be the old APA segments in the back between matches. Some nights they would cut to the back 2-3 times a night just to show the conversations happening in the "room" (remember it was only a door)

I used to love when somebody would walk around the door and they used to get upset because they didn't knock or use the door. Also some of the most random superstars would sit down and "chew the fat" with the APA.

Their matches were great also. They would beat the shit out of you, go to the back and drink a beer. :beer:

I imagine you're going to get a lot of sexual chocolate responses. (Mark Henry gimmick for those who read that wrong)

This is your life...Can I choose that??

Ahh well i'm gonna anyway..really funny..i think it was the rocks birthday?? im not sure...but it lasted like 20 mins in the ring..and it was funny as hell, all the fans in attendance were really into it all the way..as Mankind was introducing more people to The Rock, he was turning them all away...Classic moments they was...

Wrestling aint like it used to be!!

You've only just realised comedy plays a bit part in wrestling? LOL Thats funny

Well pretty much anything "comedy styled" involving Mick Foley, Santino, DX, The Rock was comedy gold to me so there's too many to think of any specific moments

Two long running gags that come to mind
Santino's "Honky Tonk Man IC record breaking attempt" was a long running one that was hilarious along with his Santina run.

The Rocks backstage interviews with Kevin Kelly, Michael Cole were pure genius.

There should be more comedy, but like life alot of it is too serious and dark.

Santino takes the medal for the funniest guy in WWE since his debut. Watch the Cobra Strike.....

One thing that could be put on the complete opposite of the scale, the most boring
the current NEXUS attacks got old after the first one. They drag on just far too long and with no talking over the top it's even far more boring

I may be a mark for this, but I am still a die hard fan of the era of Awesomeness, and Reek-azoids. I loved the Edge-Christian era. Who can forget the time they threw the birthday party with Angle, HHH, and Steph who was in a bad mood, and the kazoos, and Teletubby hats? That was instant comedy. The kazoo themes. To this day, I love the saying "Sodas rule." and "These nuts are edible for consumption." Anytime there was a 5 second pose, I just found it hilarious. Anytime you threw someone in with those two, it was comedy magic. Angle, Foley, Team Xtreme, The Dudleys, I still get laughter just watching my Best of Foley dvd where he takes the time to sit with those two and they show a best of segment with those guys.
To tell you the impact of their comedy, the other day I was cruising the youtube for old bits if the christian-edge decade, and was educating my 6 yr old nefew on other wrestlers than John Cena, and came across the bit where the two guys put Joe C in the trash can. He found it hilarious.

Another bit I found quite entertaining, was John Cena when he'd always do his rap battle, his battle against Big Show was quite good. I LOVED seeing what he was going to do next. I think that was part of why I loved that first Cena dvd they released. Too bad we don't see that same kind of comedy anymore. Its TOO family friendly almost now, nothing like the good old days.

For me its a tie between two storylines. First was the Big Show's "I'm entertaining" phase. The ripping off every other wrestler gimmick has been done countless times but usually the person doing it is at least somewhat talented at it (Stevie Richards, Charlie Haas, Matt Striker when he was in the indies was amazing at it). Show was horrible as Showkishi, The Showster, Shownan the Barbarian,etc... but he was so over the top with it and has such brilliant comedic timing that it was hilarious.

The second would be the all too short lived fued between The Rock and The Hurricane. When The Rock came back and the Hollywood version of himself his promos got exponetially more entertaining (and they were damn good before). But when he and The Hurricane began trading verbal jabs it was comic gold. The Hurricane reminding Rock that Brendan Fraisier defeated the Scorpion King and the Rock flying into a fit about how it was jsut a special effect had me rolling.

For me personally, due to the fact that it had a serious undertone to it and involved two of SD!'s top guys at the time, my favourite comedy angle was the Eddie Guerrero/Batista 'friendship' angle. I think it was funny enough without suspending disbelief like others like the Val Venis 'choppy choppy your pee pee' stuff.
Basically, for those that can't remember, it revolved around Eddie trying to befriend Batista in order to get a shot at Dave's WHC. Some of the skits were quite funny. The one with the gay masseuse/trainer was hilarious and is the kind of comedy that I miss from the pre-PG era; humour that's close to the knuckle without crossing the line. Other skits like when Dave stole Eddie's food after listening to a long Eddie speech about how they were best buds was also quite funny but the main reason I found it funny was because it had serious moments involved too. It wasn't just humour for the sake of humour like Santino, it was character driven. It raised questions. Was Eddie ready to revert to his treacherous tricks and con Dave? Would Dave fall for it? Or would the friendship explode?
Some may argue that this isn't the most hilarious OTT comedy angle, but IMO, it was funny because the OTT that was presented was contrasted with the wrestling side of the angle. Remember, these were the top two guys on SD! back when SD! had a fairly equal roster to RAW. Would this occur today between Cena and Jericho?

yes Ruthless, I will give you that, the "this is your life " skit was The Rocks Birthday and was most likely the greatest skit in wrestling history with a close second to DX immitating the Nation

My all-time favorite comedic angle would have to be when Kurt Angle came out to the ring and hosed down everyone with a milk truck. It was such a turn of the tables considering how often Austin would do things of that sort.

I think another angle I completely forgot about until one of you mentioned DX, was right after DX reformed, then Rated R-KO formed. You had that one night on RAW where Edge and Randy come out dressed as HHH and HBK. They start talking down to the fans about everything wrong with DX fans etc. Then here comes 'real' DX, complimenting Edge and Randy. And by compliments, they give the backhanded kind like how 'tiny' edge looked during his live sex show with Lita. Then they talk about the pictures of Shawn in playgirl, and then talk about Randy being the most downloaded WWE star on the net in the 'alternative' lifestyles rooms, lol. All the while, a picture of Randy wearing only a towel was on the titantron, that was so :lmao: . Then you get Rated R-KO saying to DX "I'm gonna have you tonight...etc" all those little innuendos. The other funny one when DX reformed was when Bischoff came back and screwed over DX at Cyber Sunday, they brought out Big Dick Johnson, and had his used for the stink face. It was awesome to see the out takes on WWE.com of all the chicks being brought into the ring to dance with BDJ.

All of the moments all of you PEEPS mentioned plus more. There's been a lot from anything w/ DX like the bounty that the Coach took out on them. To anything w/ Eugene like the time when the Rock asked him who is favorite wrestler was and Rocky was thinkin he was goin to say him but he said Triple H. To anything w/ the Master of Lying, Cheating. and Stealing Eddie Guerrero, true story I went to a SD! event on Sept. 11, 2005 @ the Shrine Mosque in Springfield, Missouri and during his match w/ Batista a few of the Male Fans started to chant Eddie's name and Batista was like point to them and made a gay guesture to Eddie and Eddie was like I'm not that way a acciendently touch The ref's butt, and I started to laughed as that was my Eddie moment. God Rest his soul. Plus who could forget Doink, Bastion Booger, any Big Poppa Pump promo, any I can't forget about Cena's tag team partner @ Xtrme Rulz Duct tape, and countless others too many to name as I could go on forever.

The first one was Chavo and Pepe as well as Saturn and Moppy. They both happened simultaneously as I can't remember who parodied who. Both were instant classic stories... However I liked Pepe ever.

I loved this storyline with Pepe because "Uncle Eddie's" expressions were priceless. Its almost like Eddie wanted to slap Chavo across the face for doing this. Great comedy and it effectively got Chavo some cheers and Eddie some heat.

for me my faves are the goldust booker t segements they did, god they killed me. especially the one when he pretended to be the rock, and the rock caught him, it was so funny just seein rock berate goldust and telling him to stop touching himself. Or when goldust was santa clause and he had severall comedy segments- "so booker would u like to touch my sack"? and then giving christian the ass cream.

and of course anything with the rock, dx, or y2j bit i also enjoyed the dirt sheet

I'd have to say the A-A-A-A-A-Antics of Goldust. After being "shocked" he started doing this gimmick and I loved it. Recently he has done is somewhat but I love the way he will just interupt someone with a random comment and piss them off.

More recently Santino has taken the cake with a lot of his comedy acts. I think that if he continues he may actually beat the antics of Goldust.

Like the above poster, I loved the Booker T and Goldust segments most, I mean, who could forget these memorable quotes?!

"You can have a bite of my...WIENER!"

"Kiss me here...kiss me there...GET OUT OF THE BED!"

"I shall call him...Mini-Dust!"

And of course, when Mini-Dust humped Booker T's leg. Classic moments there, I believe that was when Goldust was at his best, and of course, the Crocodile Hunter: NWO Edition was unforgettable too. I also have some very memorable Kurt Angle/Edge/Christian moments. Anybody remember when Christian was trying to outrap Cena and said "Tomko, gimme a beat!" "No." Gold! I also love the Kurt Angle impersonation of Shawn Michaels with the theme, and also the New Jersey rap, Peeparoonie (I ordered one), and the segment with The Rock and the WCW T-Shirt Guy.

Between WrestleMania X7 through Survivor Series 2001 Stone Cold Steve Austin was hilarious. Some would say he should have been more serious as the top heel, but I loved what he was doing at this time. Seeking the approval of Mr. McMahon, playing his guitar backstage, and interacting with Debra and Kurt Angle were all great. I loved when he spent all night on smackdown trying to get people to sign a petition to get him out of a triple threat match against Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit then Spike Dudley of all people tore it up right in front of Austin. Then he would go on to be the leader of the Alliance and have cronies like Shawn Stasiak, Tommy Dreamer, Kanyon, and many others kissing up to him. His interactions with these guys, especially Tazz, were awesome. His facial expressions were perfect and the "what" catchphrase was created at this time. The highlight was Austin appreciation night (I belive the night after SummerSlam 2001) where Kurt Angle crashed the party with the milk truck. The invasion angle probably could have been handled better, but at least it gave us some good laughs.

I think just the antics of D-X in general. From the HBK/HHH/Chyna DX to the HHH/NAO/Xpac DX. The shit they did was funny. From wearing the spit protector with Sgt. Slaughter to the invasion of Atlanta. They were pretty damned entertaining. AND they made you hate them while doing it.

Best, funniest line ever though was during the nWo attack on Nitro when Nash threw Rey Mysterio into a trailer. All I remember is Zbysko yelling "He threw him like a lawn dart." That just made me crack up.

My all-time favorite comedic angle would have to be when Kurt Angle came out to the ring and hosed down everyone with a milk truck. It was such a turn of the tables considering how often Austin would do things of that sort.

Absolutely one of the most ironic skits of all time, chugging milk cartons like Stone Cold did beer.

Angle had another really funny gimmick for a while when he was starting out, he was going around trying to help people and saying his It's true stuff and just being totally oblivious to the fact that everyone thought he was an idiot. I can't really remember all the specifics but I remember it being really funny. If anyone else remembers this one fill in the blanks for me please.

Okay now does anyone remember back in WCW when Ernest "The Cat" Miller, the two time world karate champion would come out and challenge people? Well I recall that the NWO white would egg on Scott Norton, saying that the Cat was calling him out, then Norton would proceed to the ring and just wipe the floor with Cat. Norton's chops were some of the most vicious I could recall. This happened for a few weeks and culminated with the Cat knocking out Norton with one of his red suede shoes then dancing like a fool. It was just a small segment in the shows but it remains with me today.

Also anything having to do with the People's Champ. Toronto interview, backstage Charleston with the Coach, you name it. Agree with whomever posted about Hollywood Rock and the Hurricane - classic!

My favourite comedy moment would be any promo with Edge and Christian.I loved the 5 seconds thing that they did.They always had something different.They had theb old Hardys one time, where they got old people to play Jeff,Matt and Lita.They would insult the crowd which was very funny, and just some of their backstage stuff as well.

Other people might not find this funny but i absolutely fell out of my chair laughing anytime Screamin' Norman Smiley came out during his "brave". It was always HILARIOUS watching him run away from Funk, while screaming. Driving a golf cart to avoid Funk, and screaming his lungs out.

Another would have to be when Tank Abbot was enjoy 3 count. Come on you can't deny watching Tank dance was HILARIOUS.

I also completely enjoyed when Hardcore & Crash were "super heavyweights". Loved listening to Bob Holly introduce the Acolytes & Edge and Christian.

and of course Santino/Santina.

The Man Of 1,004 holds was genius! Or when Jericho was "feuding" with Goldberg and came out with his security guard Ralphus.

Gillberg had his moments of hilarity.

Kurt Angle wearing the wig after Edge shaved his head.

JBL versus Godzilla.

When The Rock was talking about Booker T's intelligence and said "When the teacher asked youu what 2+2 was, you answered Thomas Jefferson sucka!!!!"

Kane doing his Hogan impression.

And my all time personal favorite was when Booker T accidentally called Hulk Hogan the "n" word!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back