What is the best Cross-town Classic?

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Growing up in Chicago, professional sports are kind of a big deal. While our teams don't often win, and in the case of the Cubs...they never win...the intensity this city has for competition is ridiculous. But there is no more intense rivalry, than one born in the same city! My question is, which cross-town classic is the most intense? I'm not just talking baseball, it's open to any sport!

For me it was ALL about the Cubs vs. Sox growing up. I was taught there is no more important thing in all the world than the Cubs beating the Sox at Wrigley. But for a lot of people it could be the Dodgers and Angels. Mets and Yankees. In the NFL we have the Giants and Jets. In basketball you have a lot of teams that share the same state... The Heat and the Magic, Kings/Lakers/Clippers, etc.

So what is, in your opinion, the greatest cross-town classic of all time?

There's a few football (soccer) ones which are pretty feisty.

Starting close to home, in Scotland there's the Old Firm clashes between Rangers and Celtic, the 2 most dominant teams in Scottish football. The religious differences between the sets of supporters has caused some horrible stuff over the years, with the Protestant fans traditionally supporting Rangers and the Catholic's supporting Celtic due to historical ties with Ireland.

In England, Manchester has United and City as a rivalry to look out for in the future as City have been taken over by a Sheikh with a large bank-roll behind him and so are pushing to be the top team in England, then Europe. With United having been on top for so many years, it looks as if City will be threatening to end their domination and gain the upper hand.

London hosts a lot of clubs, but arguably Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have the fiercest rivalry in the city, with both clubs wanting to be the dominant team in North London. Similarly to the situation in Manchester, Tottenham seem to be in the ascendency and the power may be shifting, so the next couple of seasons should be interesting.

In Italy there is the Milan derby between AC and Inter which has also generated some classic matches and confrontations through the years.

There have been cases throughout the years relating to all the clubs mentioned where a player has crossed the divide as it were to uproar from sets of fans. In Glasgow, there was a player called Mo Johnston who initially played for Celtic before moving to play for Nantes in France. When he wanted to come back to Scotland, everyone expected him to re-sign with Celtic and he even attended a press conference saying they were the only team he would join. A few days later, Rangers announced their newest signing; Mo Johnston. This created a shitstorm amongst both sets of fans as he was only the second player after WW2 to play for both sides of the Old Firm.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jul/10/maurice-mo-johnston-rangers-celtic

I think in answer to the most intense city rivalry, it has to be the Old Firm, but unfortunately the intensity is driven by religious and historical factors that have led to some ugly stories throughout the years.

I'd have to go with the Yankees and the Mets. This has always been a huge rivalry in the biggest city in the United States. If anything, this rivalry has intensified since the onset of inter league play throughout the season. Baseball fans in New York seem to be very passionate about the thought of the Subway Series eventually taking place. Granted, with the current state of chaos surrounding the Mets, I don't see this happening anytime soon. But I would have to give the nod to the Yankees/Mets as the best crosstown rivalry.

I'd have to go with the Yankees and the Mets. This has always been a huge rivalry in the biggest city in the United States. If anything, this rivalry has intensified since the onset of inter league play throughout the season. Baseball fans in New York seem to be very passionate about the thought of the Subway Series eventually taking place. Granted, with the current state of chaos surrounding the Mets, I don't see this happening anytime soon. But I would have to give the nod to the Yankees/Mets as the best crosstown rivalry.

As far as baseball goes, I have to disagree. It hasn't always been a huge rivalry in New York. Brooklyn Dodgers vs. New York Giants would take that in a heartbeat if they were still around. If they were I'd put them as the answer because the history would be awesome going all the way back to 1890. Hell that rivalry is still older in New York than Mets/Yankees is at this time.

But I'll be a homer and go Cubs/White Sox. This one goes all the way back to the inception of the AL, as the Cubs' owner at the time didn't want a new team in Chicago. Then the Sox beat the Cubs in the 1906 World Series. (Hells yes) But that was the only time they met in the Series unfortunately. But for many a year after that, the teams would meet for the City Series. I'll even post the article from CSNChicago that was on it.

http://www.csnchicago.com/06/20/11/...ry_in_pros_v3.html?blockID=536044&feedID=4825

That makes me feel good inside. Could be the rum. Anyway, the rivalry is still intense to this day. There was Barret vs. Pierzynski back in '06, and both teams and the city get up for the games. Regardless if one team is playing well or both are playing like shit, these two series are huge in the city of Chicago for the fans. 111 years and counting takes it for me. By the way, Sox have gone 8-3-4 as far as series wins go in interleague. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back