• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What If Vince McMahon Never Took Over the WWWF?

Big Papa Santo

Ryder? I barely even know her!
McMahon.....when you hear that name the first thing that comes to mind is money and power, and the most dominating family in professional wrestling, Vince McMahon was just a young-man at the time (Yes Vince used to be young too) when he took over his fathers promotion World Wide Wrestling Entertainment, and it turned it into a mainstream million-dollar corporation, but what if it never happened? The WWF/E Has created some of the most influential stars of the past 30 years, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, John Cena, The Rock, the list goes on for miles, but where would the world of professional wrestling be today if Vince McMahon never made the smartest decision of his life? Would WCW still be around? Discuss your ideas here.

not only would wcw be around, but there would be a lot more federations around as well. the awa wouldn't have sunk as quickly as it did either considering all that talent that left to join vince.

these feds wouldn't be huge though, they would cater to the area they surround. much like nwa stayed in the northern/southern section of the US.

If Vince had not bought the company and gone national I think someone else would have at least from the going national stand point. The idea had been tried before but failed. The Von Ericks had bounced around the idea for a few years but Fritz had always stopped it before it could start.
The wrestling landscape would be very different for sure but I think someone else would have made the move sooner or later. Likely would have been WCCW or AWA. With AWA being the only one with a fighting chance. They had most of the early WWF roster, all be it not under contract, and most of all they had Hogan who was already gaining national attention before he came to New York.
Crocket may have made the move but many wrestlers have stated that the only reason he did it when he did was because he saw how well it worked for Vince so I doubt he would have been the first to go.
I think WWE would still be around today had Vince not done all the things he did but I think they would be in more of a TNA position behind whoever made the move first.
The big question is would it have worked if someone other then Vince did it? I think it could have but not in the same way. I doubt it would have made the impact that WWE did. It took the forsight of a Vince to know when and where to make moves. Without that things may have failed like the other attempts and never gotten off the ground.

Ted Turner would have done it a couple of years later, he'd have had Flair under contract already, stolen Hogan and Savage and perhaps even Vince himself to run the operation for him. Flair v Hogan would have been done a lot sooner but Savage would have been the bigger star long term I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back