What If: Gale Sayers

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Ever since there's been sports, there's been a lot of moments that made us go: What if? What if Jackie Robinson never broke the color berrier? What if the NHL didn't go to a lockout in 2004? What if Babe Ruth was never sold to the Yankees? All great questions, and all will be addressed sometime soon. All of these questions make us think long and hard, and make us wonder how the face of sports as we know it would be if those things did, or didn't, happen. This will be a series of threads that I will make, making a thread every few days or so, hopefully it sparks a debate here in the Stadium. Now, before I continue to ramble, let's go to my first 'What If?'

November 10, 1968; Soldier Field For many of us here, we weren't even around. However, many people that were around, and specifically Chicagoeans, will remember this date in history. Sure, it may just look like a normal day at the football field, but on this date, an injury occurred to who was then considered the best and quickest football player in the game, Gale Sayers. Before I jump into the situation, let me inform you who haven't heard of the greatness that is Gale Sayers (and if you haven't you should feel ashamed as a fan).

Gale Sayers made a splash into the NFL in his rookie season of 1965, which many consider to be one of the greatest rookie performances ever. In only a 14 game season, Sayers scored 22 total touchdowns, a record 2,272 all purpose yards (which would later be broken by Tim Brown, who played 2 more games) and was the unanimous Rookie of the Year. The following year, despite bing followed more closely by defenses, he still managed to lead the league in rushing yards and had 12 total touchdowns. 1967 was much the same, again getting 12 total touchdowns. By the end of his third year, it was safe to say that Gale was the best back in the league and one of the best dual threats ever.

Moving onto his fourth year in 1968, Sayers was having another great season, having over 800 yards in 9 games, despite only having two touchdowns. He was a shoe in for another pro bowl appearance, until that fateful day that I listed above occured.

On November 10, 1968, the Bears were taking on the San Francisco 49ers. The Bears were, at the time, 4-4, trying to make their way into the championship chase, led by their horse Gale Sayers. However, it was during the middle of that game, that Sayers suffered an injury that would eventually cut his career short by many, many seasons. During that game, Sayers suffered a hit that tore many ligaments in his right knee, effectively ending his 68 season and possibly his career, as knee surgeries were only in the early stages of being effective.

Gale, miraculously, came back in the debut of the 1969 season and has another great season, leading the league in rushing yards just months after having such a serious injury. People were greatly surprised at the quick turnaround, even though they did notice that the Speed that Sayers had not even a year ago had left him by then. The 69 season would be the last full season that Sayers had, as he was hampered by another knee injury, this time on his healthy knee, and had to retire in 1971, at the tender age of 28. Sayers, despite only playing 4 1/2 seasons of football, was a first ballot Hall of Famer, and still is the youngest ever to be elected at the age of 34. Many journalists who watched Gale during his peak say that he was the fastest guy that they've ever seen and one of the best returners ever, and some say that if he would've been healthy he would've ended his career as a top 5 back ever.

So, my what if question for this first thread is: If Gale Sayers did not suffer his season ending knee injury in 1968, where would he have ranked in terms of 'Greatest Ever'?

In my opinion, had Gale even only had 10 healthy seasons, he would've retired in the Top 5 of most prolific players ever. The stuff that he did in just a few short years is remarkable. He is the BEST return man ever, along with being one of the best dual threat options ever. He did that in only a few full seasons. Gale would have retired as the all purpose yards leader, and may have even been considered above Jim Brown as the best ever. Gale is a one in a million talent, and he would've won a few MVP's during the 70's, since we all know his production, more likely then not, would've stayed up.

I know he played earlier then most of us were even born, but please, do some research on this man. You need to know about the greatness of Gale Sayers. Then come back here and comment on him.

I'm drunk so bare with me. Honestly, outside of Barry Sanders and Jim Brown I don't think there was anyone better at the running back position talent wise. He was Reggie Bush accept with actual ability to run in between the tackles. He had the speed and vision to get the job done, as shown by his career 5.0 ypc average. The only thing that held him back was his durability. As you said he suffered a couple different knee injuries and only played 3 full seasons in his entire career. If he could have stayed healthy who knows what would have happened but his career was still very good and his talent is unmatched by most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back