What If? England........

Leeds Guy

Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ
England had knocked out Germany on Penaltys at Euro 96 and gone on to beat the Czechs in the final?

If England had won a major tournament in the 90's would the media still be as harsh as they are today? what about new/former talent what would have happened to them? Would Terry Venables have stayed on as manager? would it have given us a chance at World Cup glory in 1998?

I think if England had beaten the Germans in Euro 96 the expectations for France 98 would have gone through the roof. I think we would have been favorites for the tournament. I think Venables would have stayed on as manager and we wouldn't have had the embarassment that was Glenn Hoddle. Alan Shearer was regarded as one of the best if not THE best goalscorer in the world and having just moved to Newcastle at that time could have given his team confidance to go on and put up a major challenge for the Premiership that year. I don't think we would have seen Michael Owen destroy the Argentinians however as the winners of 96 (Fowler, Cole, Shearer, Sheringham) would have walked into the World Cup squad leaving no place for him.

So what do you think?

Reactions: Lee
First off, I think my Grandad would've died a poor man. We went to dozens of games, the poor bloke must've been skint by the end of it.

Expectations would've been higher and we would have failed to meet them. That's it really. We'd have the same players we do now, we'd be on foreign coaches, Venables wouldn't have gone out on a relative high.

The only difference would be to the players who were involved. Other than Gazza, Pearce, Southgate & Shearer, as it is, there's not much to remember about the rest of the squad. Shearer is a Newcastle man, not an England man, as he would've been.

Just found this tidy little thread! Nah, I reckon it would have been the same old story even if we'd have won it. Venables would have gone still, maybe into a better job, but we'd have still got Hoddle and the inevitability of being shit again, lol. I'm a chelsea supporter and there weren't many people who wanted to see Hoddle succeed more than me, but he was just rubbish, really. Still would have made for some great memories!

I enjoy the comment y2jake made about Shearer being a Newcastle man, not and England man. But I couldn't ever see Newcastle winning anything. Even that season they done well to lose it at the end to the scum, I really could never see them winning it. They always seemed so weak in areas.

Big difference I think there could have been is that Scholes would have played for England for a bit longer, and some more of the older players wouldn't have gone on for an extra year or whatever.

Good thread though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back