What if... Benoit's neck injury forced him to retire?

Blade

"Original Blade"
In 2001, Chris Benoit had a major injury. It first happened in TLC 3, Chris Benoit was about to perform one of his signature flying headbutts through a table onto an opponent. He landed badly (can you land nicely through a table...?) and it seriously hurt his neck, even though he didn't know at the time. He went backstage after going through the table for a few minutes, but came back out to finish the match as he didn't feel much pain in his neck and it didn't seem serious at the time.
Then, at King of the Ring during a WWF title triple threat match he delivered a back suplex of the second rope to Chris Jericho. He landed badly on his neck again, but this time he couldn't finish the match. Benoit told the referee he was hurt, the ref told Stone Cold (the champion going into the match) and Stone Cold decided to pin him. Obviously this wasn't the planned ending to the match, so when Benoit stayed down for the 3, it was clear that something was wrong. According to a doctor, he had slipped a disc which had moved into his spinal column and he had to have surgery.
The surgery was successful and Benoit was back in a year, but the injury almost ended his career. Almost.

So I ask what if Benoit's neck injury had been just slightly more severe and ended his career?
Would he still be alive today? And would he still be so highly regarded as a wrestler if he had retired in 2001?

Personally I think he would still be alive. Retiring in 2001 would've meant his brain wouldn't have had the damage of the last 4 or so years of his career. 4 years worth of damage from chair shots, and flying headbutts. His brain would not have have been as messed up as it eventually became.
He would be remembered as a great wrestler, but that would've been more remembered in Japan perhaps than here. In 2001, he hadn't really held a world title unless you count his 1 day reign as WCW champion.
He would've been remembered more fondly in Japan as he was a former winner of the Super J Cup as Wild Pegasus.

So what do you guys think?

I also think that if Chris Benoit's neck injury in 2001 forced him to retire, he would still be alive today. I started watching WWE in 2003, so had Benoit retired then, I wouldn't have gotten a chance to see many of his matches and he probably wouldn't have been regarded as one of my favorite wrestlers. The problem as I see it is, even when Benoit returned from his neck injury, it didn't seem like he even tried to change up his move set, in order to be more carefuk with his neck. He continued with the German Suplexes and the Diving Headbutt. Nothing changed.

As much as I loved Chris Benoit, and think he was the greatest professional wrestler of all-time, I'm not gonna try to say he didn't always take unnessacary risks in the ring. He did. But, that's what he wanted to do.

Another major point that I wanted to make is, about Chris Benoit's doctor, Dr. Phil Astin III. Who was also other superstar's doctor as well (Rey Mysterio and Hardcore Holly, just to name a couple). As much as I hate to say it, had Benoit not died, then Dr. Astin would not be behind bars right now and he probably would have continued to give his patients overdoses on drugs. Also, if Benoit had not died, WWE probably wouldn't have been so strict with their Wellness Policy.

So, I hate to say that Chris Benoit's death was a good thing. As quite frankly, no death is a good thing, but it did help WWE realize how dangerous drugs, and steroids, and growth hormones really are. It was a wake up call for WWE to start taking more action upon illegal drugs.

Maybe Benoit could of saved a few brain cells but I don't know, I think ultimately he would of been depressed and snapped regardless if he was retired killing his family and himself in the process. However, I think that maybe it would of been best if he were forced to retire in 2001. I don't believe Chris' life would of been that long due to his health but maybe he would die with dignity instead of killing his family. Maybe down the road he would be in the Hall of Fame and regarded as a great performer instead of a serial killer. Who knows.

Well, if everything else happened since then apart from Benoit returning... then I would say that Benoit would still most likely be alive today if he kept himself away from the wrestling & sort out help for himself. The WWE would benefit from this too as they wouldn't have all that negative media being pressed towards Vince & his company. However, in saying this... when Benoit returned to wrestling, this is where his career picked up. So, he wouldn't be remembered to the extent that every retired wrestler would wish, but he would still be remembered moreso than now. He may have even been in line for a HOF spot in the WWE.

In 2001, Chris Benoit had a major injury. It first happened in TLC 3, Chris Benoit was about to perform one of his signature flying headbutts through a table onto an opponent. He landed badly (can you land nicely through a table...?) and it seriously hurt his neck, even though he didn't know at the time. He went backstage after going through the table for a few minutes, but came back out to finish the match as he didn't feel much pain in his neck and it didn't seem serious at the time.
Then, at King of the Ring during a WWF title triple threat match he delivered a back suplex of the second rope to Chris Jericho. He landed badly on his neck again, but this time he couldn't finish the match. Benoit told the referee he was hurt, the ref told Stone Cold (the champion going into the match) and Stone Cold decided to pin him. Obviously this wasn't the planned ending to the match, so when Benoit stayed down for the 3, it was clear that something was wrong. According to a doctor, he had slipped a disc which had moved into his spinal column and he had to have surgery.
The surgery was successful and Benoit was back in a year, but the injury almost ended his career. Almost.

So I ask what if Benoit's neck injury had been just slightly more severe and ended his career?
Would he still be alive today? And would he still be so highly regarded as a wrestler if he had retired in 2001?

Personally I think he would still be alive. Retiring in 2001 would've meant his brain wouldn't have had the damage of the last 4 or so years of his career. 4 years worth of damage from chair shots, and flying headbutts. His brain would not have have been as messed up as it eventually became.
He would be remembered as a great wrestler, but that would've been more remembered in Japan perhaps than here. In 2001, he hadn't really held a world title unless you count his 1 day reign as WCW champion.
He would've been remembered more fondly in Japan as he was a former winner of the Super J Cup as Wild Pegasus.

So what do you guys think?
GOD BLESS the dead. Rest In Peace "The Rabid Wolverine" aka "The Canadaian Crippler" Chris Benoit! The best technique wrestler since Owen Hart.

So, I hate to say that Chris Benoit's death was a good thing. As quite frankly, no death is a good thing, but it did help WWE realize how dangerous drugs, and steroids, and growth hormones really are. It was a wake up call for WWE to start taking more action upon illegal drugs.

uhh. I understand what you are TRYING to say my friend, I really do. WWE KNEW well before hand the dangers of drugs/steroids. Do you HONESTLY think that they've stopped? HHH is still a MONSTER. Even VINCE is still JACKED and u can't tell me that a 60+ year old man can go to the gym and look like THAT.

Benoit's death did one thing...
Confirmed what everyone already knew was going on behind the scenes.
It confirmed that the superstars of the WWE are merely puppets to Vince to be discarded/abused/used anyway he wants

Benoit had endless opportunties if he was forced to retire in 2001. Its not like his life was over (no pun intended).

He could have started a gym, a wrestling school, be an agent.

But actual wrestling is what he wanted to do, nothing less than that. I dont think he wanted to do backstage stuff. He was getting old and his body was deteriorated worse than normal, he knew his active in ring work was reaching an end and he refused to accept this.

Instead of being a man and facing the challenge's that comes with life he chose to obliterate himself and take two innocent loving people with him.

if he never hurt his neck and never took drugs he would still be alive today and prob would have retired this and next year BE IN THE HALL OF FAME R.I.P

I'd have to disagree with some of the shorter posts here in this thread. Those people are saying that if Chris Benoit had retired back in 2001 the whole murder/suicide would've never happened and he'd be this big legend and in the HOF. It seems to me that they're forgetting something important in regards to this "what if" scenario. The fact that his career would've ended in 2001, not right now. The whole fact about him being in the HOF now is something that should be questioned. Because, in this scenario, you can't take into account all of what he accomplished up to his death (which made him arguably a living legend up to that point). You have to take into account just what he accomplished up to 2001 (in which he was a highly respected wrestler, who was on the verge of breaking into the WWE main event scene, but hadn't quite made it yet).

I do agree that Benoit might still be with us today had his neck injury cut his career short. I imagine he already had concussions and head injuries at this point, but it probably wasn't quite as serious and screwed up as it was by June 2007 right before he snapped. It was probably about the same amount of injuries and trauma that most regular wrestlers have now. I don't think there's any doubt that Benoit's injuries and concussions and the condition of his brain worsened in the final 3-4 years of his life. I also feel that Eddie Guerrero's death in 2005 was the beginning of the end of Chris from an emotional standpoint. I think losing his best friend really wrecked him and increased his depression to a point which eventually caused him to snap. I think his depression, combined with the drugs, and most importantly his brain trauma is what ultimately made him snap and meet his end.

Back in 2001, Eddie was alive, Chris probably wasn't as heavily on drugs yet (you can tell he got worse on them in his final years when he really started to bulk up and began to look like he could explode at any moment), and obviously his brain wasn't as traumatized, because he hadn't taken as many bumps or had as many injuries yet.

If he had gotten away from wrestling at this point, I think it would've been soon enough to where he would've ultimately saved himself. Yeah, I'm sure he was on drugs at this point, yes, I'm sure he had some concussions and injuries, but if he would've stopped wrestling, he could've gotten off the drugs because he wouldn't need them anymore, he would've healed up from his injuries. And he would've been fine basically. Eddie would've still died, but I think he would've been healthy enough to not allow Eddie's death to fuck him up so much to where he would've snapped. Because he would've been in good enough physical shape by 2005 (4 years after he would've retired in this scenario) to not completely fall apart like he ultimately did.

But as far as him being a legend and a surefire HOFer, I don't think that's necessarily the case. Benoit would ultimately reach his heights and peak after this injury when he came back. Benoit's shining moment was at Wrestlemania XX in 2004, 3 years after this injury, when he enjoyed his only title reign (not counting the 1 day reign in WCW).

While I think Benoit would still be remembered in the general wrestling world as one of the greatest performers of the '90s (as his work in Japan, ECW, and WCW would've cemented his '90s legacy), and maybe, possibly a legend, in the WWE-world he would be remembered as a great talent but not a legend. It's essential nowadays in the WWE to become a main eventer to be considered one of the top guys, and Benoit prior to his 2001 injury was just on the cusp of this. So him being in the WWE HOF is not so likely and he especially would not have been inducted by now. The only guys to wrestle on a somewhat-regular basis in the '00s that are in the HOF right now are Hogan, Flair, and Austin, aka: argubably the three greatest wrestlers of all-time. Some guy that was a great worker but ultimately never made it to the top (which was Benoit, circa-2001) would not be in the HOF by 2009 when the Rock, the Undertaker, HBK, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, and other big name stars of the early '00s are not in at this point. And yeah they're all wrestling currently, which is why they're not in yet, but the point I'm trying to make is that a wrestler that was never a main-eventer (if we're talking about Benoit in 2001) will not be in the HOF before those previously mentioned guys. So in short Chris Benoit would not be in the HOF by now, if ever, if his career had been cut short back in 2001. At least I don't think so anyway.

If Chris Benoit would have retired in 2001 from his neck injury, I think it would be seen today as one of the more tragic stories in wrestling history (although not as tragic as what ultimately really happened to Benoit obviously), in a similar to vein to someone like Magnum T.A. As Benoit was just on the cusp of breaking into the main event, only for an injury to cut his career short. It would be seen as one of the biggest "what ifs" or "what could've been scenarios" in wrestling history. Maybe that tragic of a story could've gotten Benoit into the HOF early, but I'm still not so sure.

But as sad as that would've been as we would always wonder "what more could Benoit have accomplished?", I would still rather that had been Benoit's end then what really ultimately became his end in June 2007. I can't imagine a worser ending for a wrestler that what happened to Chris Benoit. :(

I do think he probably would still be alive but his brain would still be extremely messed up even without the last years of damage to his head because he had been wrestling for like 10-15 years up to that point; and 10-15 years of chair shots and other head injuries would have probably made him become depressed similar to retired NFL athletes who have had extremely messed up brains. Do I think he would have killed his family and himself? I somewhat doubt it but you never know.

I also think that if Chris Benoit's neck injury in 2001 forced him to retire, he would still be alive today. I started watching WWE in 2003, so had Benoit retired then, I wouldn't have gotten a chance to see many of his matches and he probably wouldn't have been regarded as one of my favorite wrestlers. The problem as I see it is, even when Benoit returned from his neck injury, it didn't seem like he even tried to change up his move set, in order to be more carefuk with his neck. He continued with the German Suplexes and the Diving Headbutt. Nothing changed.

As much as I loved Chris Benoit, and think he was the greatest professional wrestler of all-time, I'm not gonna try to say he didn't always take unnessacary risks in the ring. He did. But, that's what he wanted to do.

Another major point that I wanted to make is, about Chris Benoit's doctor, Dr. Phil Astin III. Who was also other superstar's doctor as well (Rey Mysterio and Hardcore Holly, just to name a couple). As much as I hate to say it, had Benoit not died, then Dr. Astin would not be behind bars right now and he probably would have continued to give his patients overdoses on drugs. Also, if Benoit had not died, WWE probably wouldn't have been so strict with their Wellness Policy.

Here we go again, people blaming this homicide/suicide on drugs. What Benoit did was really bad, but it wasn't drugs fault. Steroids don't make you do stuff like this. All the crap you've seen on TV about steroids and growth hormone is all sensationalism. That's not to say they're safe, but the truth is they aren't being truthful in their representation of the facts.

According to Benoit's toxicology report he had tested positive for Xanax and Hydrocodone. Those drugs themselves have never made anybody flip out and go on a killing spree. His testosterone level was 9 times the normal for somebody his age. Steroids and growth hormone do NOT make people flip out and murder their families either. "Roid rage" is a fictional condition made up by the media to explain when an asshole meat-head as a bad day.

The Xanax probably indicated though that he had some sort of underlying mental illness. Getting hit in the head is known to mess your mind up.

Ultimately some people just do bad things. He did a bad thing. Blaming what he did on other factors like the drugs or his head injuries is an attempt to pull the blame off Benoit. "I can't help it, it was the drugs man." That defense doesn't work when you're on trial for robbing a liquor store and it shouldn't work here either.

The question of whether or not he'd kill his family if that neck injury was career-ending is irrelevant. None of us know what he would've done had that been the case. And one day Benoit will be in the HOF. His contribution in the ring will always be remembered. And if Pete Rose can get in the WWE Hall of Fame, so can Benoit!

Here we go again, people blaming this homicide/suicide on drugs. What Benoit did was really bad, but it wasn't drugs fault. Steroids don't make you do stuff like this. All the crap you've seen on TV about steroids and growth hormone is all sensationalism. That's not to say they're safe, but the truth is they aren't being truthful in their representation of the facts.

According to Benoit's toxicology report he had tested positive for Xanax and Hydrocodone. Those drugs themselves have never made anybody flip out and go on a killing spree. His testosterone level was 9 times the normal for somebody his age. Steroids and growth hormone do NOT make people flip out and murder their families either. "Roid rage" is a fictional condition made up by the media to explain when an asshole meat-head as a bad day.

The Xanax probably indicated though that he had some sort of underlying mental illness. Getting hit in the head is known to mess your mind up.

Ultimately some people just do bad things. He did a bad thing. Blaming what he did on other factors like the drugs or his head injuries is an attempt to pull the blame off Benoit. "I can't help it, it was the drugs man." That defense doesn't work when you're on trial for robbing a liquor store and it shouldn't work here either.

The question of whether or not he'd kill his family if that neck injury was career-ending is irrelevant. None of us know what he would've done had that been the case. And one day Benoit will be in the HOF. His contribution in the ring will always be remembered. And if Pete Rose can get in the WWE Hall of Fame, so can Benoit!

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read. I have done multiple case studies on steroids/performance enhancing drugs and "roid-rage" is a very real thing. As you stated, look at his toxicology report. You may claim the drugs found in his body don't cause Benoit's behavior individually (which can be debated), but together they can become a lethal combination, especially with steroids being thrown in the mix. I mean, look at his testosterone levels, for Christ's sake. If that isn't an indication for you I don't know what is.

I'd have to disagree with some of the shorter posts here in this thread. Those people are saying that if Chris Benoit had retired back in 2001 the whole murder/suicide would've never happened and he'd be this big legend and in the HOF. It seems to me that they're forgetting something important in regards to this "what if" scenario. The fact that his career would've ended in 2001, not right now. The whole fact about him being in the HOF now is something that should be questioned. Because, in this scenario, you can't take into account all of what he accomplished up to his death (which made him arguably a living legend up to that point). You have to take into account just what he accomplished up to 2001 (in which he was a highly respected wrestler, who was on the verge of breaking into the WWE main event scene, but hadn't quite made it yet).

I do agree that Benoit might still be with us today had his neck injury cut his career short. I imagine he already had concussions and head injuries at this point, but it probably wasn't quite as serious and screwed up as it was by June 2007 right before he snapped. It was probably about the same amount of injuries and trauma that most regular wrestlers have now. I don't think there's any doubt that Benoit's injuries and concussions and the condition of his brain worsened in the final 3-4 years of his life. I also feel that Eddie Guerrero's death in 2005 was the beginning of the end of Chris from an emotional standpoint. I think losing his best friend really wrecked him and increased his depression to a point which eventually caused him to snap. I think his depression, combined with the drugs, and most importantly his brain trauma is what ultimately made him snap and meet his end.

Back in 2001, Eddie was alive, Chris probably wasn't as heavily on drugs yet (you can tell he got worse on them in his final years when he really started to bulk up and began to look like he could explode at any moment), and obviously his brain wasn't as traumatized, because he hadn't taken as many bumps or had as many injuries yet.

If he had gotten away from wrestling at this point, I think it would've been soon enough to where he would've ultimately saved himself. Yeah, I'm sure he was on drugs at this point, yes, I'm sure he had some concussions and injuries, but if he would've stopped wrestling, he could've gotten off the drugs because he wouldn't need them anymore, he would've healed up from his injuries. And he would've been fine basically. Eddie would've still died, but I think he would've been healthy enough to not allow Eddie's death to fuck him up so much to where he would've snapped. Because he would've been in good enough physical shape by 2005 (4 years after he would've retired in this scenario) to not completely fall apart like he ultimately did.

i know it's not really on the topic of benoit but i'd like to point out the fact that eddie guerrero was actually set to win the WHC on the smackdown before his death. i remember hearing that somewhere but it was true and a triple threat match with him randy and batista was being advertised for that episode.

also, benoit was set to win the ECW title at night of champions when he went on his killing spree. it was obvious as why would they go to give the title to punk, his opponent cant make it so they make him lose to morrison and chase the title for several months.

the question im really asking is why do wrestlers collapse under pressure just as their careers are getting going again? i watched WM20 last night and realised about how the two people standing in the ring at the end of tonight are both gone. eddie went from that down to mid carder then the batista storyline put him back to the main event. benoit was going to win the ECW title and yes it may not be considered as prestigious as the WWE or WHC but it would give him a push so he could go back to smackdown or raw and push for one last world title reign before retiring

Would he still be alive today?

I will be uncreative and say yes. He would be. 4 years of concussions and head trauma really do a number to your brain. Not to say Benoit would be completely healthy if he were forced to retire in '01, but he wouldn't have had the brain of a 80 year old suffering from Dementia.

And would he still be so highly regarded as a wrestler if he had retired in 2001?

That's tougher to answer. He wouldn't have had his 5 month title reign in '04...hmmm...some would argue him one of the greatest wrestlers never to be rewarded the title. I would argue he was never over enough to warrant a title. Benoit was the epitome of a one-time champion. But overall, I think that he would still have his admirers. He just wouldn't have as many people yelling about him committing a double murder-suicide after obviously having suffered a mental break.

I have a better what if question in regards 2 Benoit....

what if the producers of the X Men movie casted Chris Benoit instead of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine?

I think Benoit would've been perfect 4 that role, I mean he pretty much fit Logan's descriptions & mannerisms 2 a "T"

same height
from Canada
looks like Wolverine

I think that would've made him a bigger star than the WWE could have.

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read. I have done multiple case studies on steroids/performance enhancing drugs and "roid-rage" is a very real thing. As you stated, look at his toxicology report. You may claim the drugs found in his body don't cause Benoit's behavior individually (which can be debated), but together they can become a lethal combination, especially with steroids being thrown in the mix. I mean, look at his testosterone levels, for Christ's sake. If that isn't an indication for you I don't know what is.
Ignorant? You obviously don't know much about it. You do realise that in a study done by the Division of Endocrinology at the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, they found no correlation between aggressive behaviour and elevated testosterone levels? They did the study because of anecdotal reports of "roid rage" and violent crimes by steroid users. In fact if you want to look it up in the AMA journal the researchers are Ticker R., Casaburi R, Storer TW, Clevenger B, Berman N, Shirazi A and Bhasin S. You might have to actually hit up a library that has access to the online AMA Journal (or a printed publication), but it's there. You're just another person who has never actually done real research on the subject, but rather just relied on Fox News to do their homework for them.

I'm willing to bet you've never used an AAS or a DS/PH. So you have no anecdotal evidence (which I'll admit is not science).

The truth is that fucker did a very bad thing. He did it on his own. Don't take the blame off him by putting it on the drugs, when the drugs didn't do it. He did it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back