What if Bader won?

Dressler

Occasional Pre-Show
As we all know, Jon "Bones" Jones will be facing Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in 1months time after his win over Ryan Bader. That fight made both men 12-1, with Baders first Pro loss and catipulting Jones to Number 1 Conterdership in the Lightheavyweight Division after Rashad Evans went down due to injury.

Now we also know that once Dana White found out Rashad was out, he contacted Rampage first, to ask if he was interested in fighting for the Title, but he said no, so he went to the next best thing, Jon Jones. Now Dana didn't know Jones was going to win, however he still went ahead and planned the fight just incase he did.

Now my question is, what if Bader had won? I mean, Dana looks like a genius making this fight happen because Jones won, but what if Bader had beaten Jones? Then does he offer Bader the shot? What if Jones' camp says they were offered it first? How do you think that would make Bader feel?

In my opinion, the UFC really took a risk by planning this fight out without knowing who would win, it worked out anyway so it doesn't matter, but if Bader wins, they're stuck. I think they are almost forced to give it to him next, which is clearly not what they wanted, and since they talked to Jones' side first I think that makes a little unnecessary drama in both fighters way.

What do you think?

I assume that had Bader won he would have been offered the title shot, though the Franklin/Griffin fight was directly after his fight so he could have easily gone to that fight for the next challenger. No matter what, Dana had options and the drama was going to go down in either fight. It would have been a risk had Bader won, but honestly had he gotten through Jones then I think he was definitely worthy of a shot. However, had Bader won I think the Franklin/Griffin winner would have made more sense.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the UFC had it planned and took a risk by making the bout. It's not like they went to Jones and Bader before the fight and was like, "Hey win this fight and you get a title shot". I think you messed up your words a little Dressler.

Now if Bader had won the fight, he easily could've been given the title shot as well. I think it all would depend on how he finished the fight. If he just won by a close decision, maybe Dana would wait to see how the Griffin/Franklin fight went especially because there is history between Griffin and Rua, before making a decision on who to go to. If Bader would've dominated him like the way he got dominated by Jones, then he would probably get asked right after the fight like Jones did.

If Bader had won, I strongly believe the UFC would have given Rampage an offer he just couldn't have refused. I know Rampage was first offered the fight against Shogun for the title once Rashad got hurt, and that he declined because of weight issues and what not, but it came off to me like the UFC didn't really push hard enough to sign him. I think they knew they could wait and see how Jones did in the fight against Bader, and offer him the bout if he won unharmed, since Jones is as big of name in the LHW Division as the UFC has at this point in time.

Ryan Bader, though, not only does he not have a name, but he's also unappealing and boring as fuck. Before getting a big title shot, there's no doubt in my mind he would have at least had to defeat one or two more guys before getting there. He would have gotten the Gray Manner treatment, basically.

Well this is what is so great about the light heavyweight division there is so much depth and competition within the division. There are many viable options. Winner of Franklin v Griffin could've easily of got like INDY said. Or Rampage would've received an offer he couldn't refuse like JMT said. Best thing about this situation is we don't have to wait to see Shogun make his first defense of the title.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the UFC had it planned and took a risk by making the bout. It's not like they went to Jones and Bader before the fight and was like, "Hey win this fight and you get a title shot". I think you messed up your words a little Dressler.

I probably did mix my words a little, what I meant to mean was that, the UFC before the fight went to Jones' camp and asked them if Jones wins, would you accept the Rua fight, when Jones' camp agreed, it was just a matter of waiting it out to see what happened, making that the fight the UFC wanted. The problem by doing that is, that sort of stuff gets out to the media pretty quick had he lost. Then if they dont give Bader the next shot, what would you say if you're Bader? You just beat who the UFC wanted as the next contender, wouldnt you want the next shot then?

Although I agree that Dana would have probably gone to the winner of Griffin vs Franklin, and to be honest, Griffin would of been a much better choice had Bader won, I would of loved to see him get the fight even though Jones won, but thats just me playing favorites.

I probably did mix my words a little, what I meant to mean was that, the UFC before the fight went to Jones' camp and asked them if Jones wins, would you accept the Rua fight, when Jones' camp agreed, it was just a matter of waiting it out to see what happened, making that the fight the UFC wanted.

Yeah, that's still not how it went down. Your're missing the point I was trying to make. Dana didn't go to Jones before the fight and ask him if he wanted a title shot, if he beats Bader. It wasn't until after the fight did Jones get asked to take the fight. I'm sure he asked Rua if he would fight Jones, if Jones won at some point during the day, but definitely he didn't ask Jones. Nobody knew that the Evans/Rua fight was off until, it was announced after the Jones/Bader fight.

I do think that Dana was scrambling to fit the fight in with someone who was a legitimate contender but would also stay in shape from 126 to replace Rashad Evans against Shogun. Forrest to me would have been the most logical choice. He has proven that on his night he can beat you. He was fed to Shogun, regardless of injuries and what not. He is on a winning streak and is experienced enough and has the following to sell the card. Jones I believe isn't just ready yet. I believe that another fight winner of Lyoto Machida/Randy Couture or Thiago Silva would have been the best for him.

If Bader had won, I strongly believe the UFC would have given Rampage an offer he just couldn't have refused. I know Rampage was first offered the fight against Shogun for the title once Rashad got hurt, and that he declined because of weight issues and what not, but it came off to me like the UFC didn't really push hard enough to sign him. I think they knew they could wait and see how Jones did in the fight against Bader, and offer him the bout if he won unharmed, since Jones is as big of name in the LHW Division as the UFC has at this point in time.

Ryan Bader, though, not only does he not have a name, but he's also unappealing and boring as fuck. Before getting a big title shot, there's no doubt in my mind he would have at least had to defeat one or two more guys before getting there. He would have gotten the Gray Manner treatment, basically.

I'm not sure who Gray Manner is:confused::confused: I think you mean Gray Maynard?

Also, Rampage didn't turn down the fight JUST because of weight issues. I know you said "and what not," but that sort of implies weight issues were the biggest concern and everything else was secondary.

Rampage turned down that fight because only an idiot takes a title fight like that on such short notice. Especially to a guy who, LITERALLY, kicked his fucking head off once before.

Rampage said as much. He knows that he's getting up there in age and his title shots are at a premium. He can't afford to derail his career anymore by taking short notice fights. He needs a proper camp and time to train. Not to mention, the winner of Rampage and Silva would have gotten a title shot, anyways.

I have no fucking clue what they're going to do now that Matt Hamill has been taped to replace Thiago, but I think that it's likely that, if Rampage wins, he will get the title shot. There's enough of a history between him and Rua that they could market that fight with the greatest of ease. Also, if Bones wins the title, they'll have no problems marketing a Rampage-Jones fight.

I'm not playing the race card, but you know that the UFC sure as shit will. They made a fucking production about Velasquez being the first Mexican to hold a HW strap. I'm sure they will milk the shit out of Rampage-Jones. If Hamill gets the title shot, they will tell you shit about Deaf people that you NEVER fucking knew.

Anyhow, to the thread subject, people make too much about Dana giving and taking away title shots. By now people should realize that Dana ALWAYS has an ace up his sleeve when it comes to title fights. I'm sure it was an on the fly decision by Dana because Jones won so impressively. Fans have been screaming out of their ass that Jones has been held back and not given a true run at the title. So what does Dana do? He shuts all their fucking mouths and causes Marks around the world when he gives it to Jones in a surprise announcement that EVEN JONES didn't know was coming.

Dana has done, and will always do what he wants with title shots and such. Remember when the winner of Marquardt and Okami was supposed to be the number one contender for the MW title? Then they had a boring ass match and Anderson destroyed "his toughest test ever" and now Dana is saying he's gonna do GSP-Silva if he beats Shields.

Dana realizes that, while Okami has beaten Anderson, nobody is fucking interested in that fight. Even Dana knows that Silva never should have been DQ'ed in their first fight. Okami could have fucking continued and Anderson knows that, too. Okami will get jungle fucked by Silva in a rematch and it's not worth its own card.

Dana always knows what he's doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back