• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you want to see next from Anderson Silva?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Right now, it's either Anderson Silva drops the Middleweight Title and continues to fight at Light Heavyweight, or defends the MW Title against Dan Henderson, what do you want to see happen?

Personally, I'd like to see Silva drop the title myself. First of all, Damien Maia (assuming he wins his next fight) vs. Dan Henderson intrigues me much more than another Silva/Henderson fight, but also... it's possible that Anderson Silva will only fight a few more times in the UFC; I want those fights to be the best they possibly can, and against fighters who will actually fight Silva. The LHW Division seems to have more fighters like that than the MW Division, and then there's also the chance of Silva vs. GSP at Catchweight sometime down the line. Now, the downside to this is that Anderson Silva has made it very clear that he will never fight Lyoto Machida. But to me, that just leaves open the possibility of him moving up to Heavyweight and fighting Brock Lesnar. How awesome would that be?

So what do you want to see? Should Anderson Silva "honor" the belt and continue defending it, or should he drop the title and give the other Middleweights out there a chance to be champion? Should he fight GSP at Catchweight? Should he continue fighting at Light Heavyweight, or should he move up to Heavyweight to fight guys like Lesnar, Couture, etc.?

After that destruction over Griffin, there's very fights I look forward to with Anderson. I just don't think anyone in the UFC can really pose a threat to him outside of one person. The only fight involving Anderson I would look forward to is a fight with Lyoto Machida. I think at this point, within the UFC, Lyoto is the only person who can give Anderson a challenge. One sided domination's are fun to watch, but after awhile you actually want to see a competitive match up. And within the UFC the only one I can see providing a competitive fight to Anderson is Lyoto. Sadly they're friends, so most likely it will never happen, but I never doubt Dana White. If he thinks this fight can happen, I'll take his word for it.

Aside from Lyoto, if I had to pick another match up that would interest me for Anderson, It would be a fight against Vitor. As I have said a couple of times already, I think a fighter with quick hand speed such as Vitor or Manhoef can give Anderson some real trouble. Anderson likes to counter strike and feel out his opponents, if you stand with him, he's gonna catch you eventually, but what if you're too quick for him to react? I think someone like Vitor might be just too damn fast for Anderson to react in time to counter. So a fight with Vitor would interest me also.

In my opinion, he should move up to heavyweight if he can. A fight between him & Mir, or him & Lesnar would be great in my opinion, especially Lesnar. He's got the reputation of being the best, a very dangerous fighter. Well, there's no bigger place to prove that, than the heavyweight division. If he could do well, he could further enhance his reputation with the few fights that he has left.

I think Silva should drop the middleweight title and fight only in the light heavyweight division. He has beaten about everyone there is to beat in the middleweight division and the UFC light heavyweight division is a very good one. Silva will have many people to fight. He can fight Rashad Evans, Rampage Jackson, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida and many more. As a middleweight he has only a few challengers. But as a light heavyweight he will have much more competition and this will lead to many entertaining fights.

It seems he has cleared out most of the opponents for the Middleweight division. It seems he can fight Henderson again, and probably win. But what is the fun with that. He has to move to light heavyweight now. He can drop the belt, and let a new crop of people fight for it. His last few fights in the UFC have to be up a class. Who knows, he can even save his last match for Machida, then retire afterwards if he wins of loses.

It would be neat to see a GSP fight against him, but I don't really see it happening. It could make Silva look bad if he were to lose, and make GSP look too good in his own division. But I suspect it would be Silva winning that match, proving nothing.

Silva needs to move up to the next division and relinquish his title, he has nothing left to prove in his current division. The only problem is due to his friendship with Machida so he cant have a title fight until Machida drops it because he refuses to fight him

I forgot all about Vitor Belfort.

If Belfort has an impressive showing against Rich Franklin, as in KOing him in the first round, then yeah... Vitor vs. Anderson would definitely be something I'd like to see at 185 pounds and for the Middleweight Title. But I think Dana White is waiting to see what Belfort does against Franklin, before making his mind up about Anderson's situation, because I think he knows that not many fans want to see Dan Henderson vs. Anderson Silva again. Everyone loves Henderson, but the guy's just not a very exciting fighter.

I would love to see Silva fight Rampage or Evans. I really think he could dominate the Light Heavyweight Division if he decides to stay there. But admittedly, Lesnar is what truly got me to start following the UFC, so I would love to see a dream matchup with Silva and Lesnar. The drawing would be huge.

As much as I would love to say that he needs to "honor" the title, and stay defending it, there is clearly no one in UFC's lackluster middleweight division that can dethrone him, or possibly even give him a challenge outside of Hendo or Demian Maia. Personally, I would love to see him drop the title, move to light-heavyweight and fight the best that the division has to offer before he retires. I belive with a few more big victories in the Light Heavyweight division and Anderson Silva will go down in the history books as the best pound for pound mixed martial artist ever. This full time move to light-heavyweight would not only do great things for Anderson Silva's legacy, but will do great things for the UFC as far as ratings go, as there are virtually no big name middleweight fighters left in UFC. If Anderson doesn't drop the title, and move up a weight class he's just going to remain a huge fish in a small pond that is the UFC middleweight division. I mean can't you just imagine the huge fights that UFC could put on? , Silva vs Jackson, Silva vs Evans, Silva vs Machida, the possibility for big name fights if he moves divisions is endless, and at this point the move up seems inevitable, and IMO it would be downright foolish for him not to switch ASAP.

As for the middleweight title if he vacated it, if Maia wins his next fight against Nate Mardqurdt (which he will ;)) then I would hope that he would be next in line, probaly against Hendo, that would be a fight that I for one would love to see, because I very much enjoy both mens fights, but I would be pulling for Maia all the way.

Check out this quote from Randy Couture regarding fighting Anderson Silva:

“They [Zuffa] certainly haven't approached me with it,” Couture said. “I think the idea's been kicked around, but I don't know if it's being kicked around by the executives at Zuffa.”

Man, a part of me thinks that Couture is the one person in the UFC who has the tools to defeat him, but the other part of me looks at his fights when he last fought at 205 against Chuck Liddell. I mean, the first fight between the two is one of my all time favorites, but the two fights that followed, man... Couture got completely embarrassed, and I think if someone like Chuck could do that to him, then someone like Anderson Silva definitely could as well. Not only does Anderson Silva obviously have far superior striking than Liddell has ever had, but Anderson also has great takedown defense himself, and even if he were taken down, Anderson is very, very good fighting from off his back. But still... Randy Couture is still Randy motherfucking Couture. In my head, that man can overcome ANYTHING in that octagon; I don't care how old he is.

What do you think? Is this something you all would like to see?

Personally, I want to see him fight a grizzly bear.......just kidding. But it would be a hell of a fight for a few minutes. I dont really care what he does next. I am not a fan of his and I dont really think he is that exciting to watch. Now I am not taking anything away from his fighting abilities because he is a hell of a fighter but I am just not a fan. I think he should fight Hendo and then move permanently up to light Heavy so we can see him fight guys like Rashad and Rampage. Those could be some entertaining fights, hell him beating Forrests ass was entertaining I just wish it had been the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back