What Constitutes An "Athlete" In Pro Wrestling?

Flair is Overrated

Dark Match Winner
I was just thinking about the definition of "athlete" as it pertains to pro wrestling. Generally, it seems the IWC considers high flyers and spot monkeys to be the best athletes. Shawn Michaels, for example (and I certainly don't mean to lump him in with one dimensional spot monkeys), is frequently cited for his athleticism.

But in reality, what was he? A high school athlete? Obviously, he was a tremendously gifted performer in the wrestling ring, but does that make him an athlete?

Conversely, one of the worst in-ring wrestlers of recent times (at least in a mainstream, national promotion), is arguably the most accomplished athlete of all pro wrestlers of his era...Steve "Mongo" McMichael. Before you all flame me for this, consider his legitimate athletic pedigree. While not a hall of fame football player, he was no scrub either. He was a multiple time pro bowl football player, and a key starter on arguably the greatest football team of all time, the 85 Bears. Yeah, he wasn't a very good wrestler (and I'm sure he'd admit that), but he proved himself to be a superior athlete in legitimate athletic competition. Just because a guy can do a moonsault, does that mean he should be labeled an athlete?

I would consider all pro wrestlers athletic, but not necessarily athletes as professional wrestling is not a sport. "Sports entertainment" and actual sports are 2 different things. Calling them athletes would be like calling circus performers athletes, when really they're just athletic.

What you're really bringing up is the posters who only believe wrestlers who do 450 splashes, corkscrew dives and gymnastic type shit to be the real deal. It's a breed of IWCer that's widely mocked. Don't take them too seriously :lmao:

Anyone who believes someone like Big Show, who's 450 pounds and can move the way he does, isn't athletic is a complete moron. He even used to do moonsaults, but that's just crazy stupid for a man his size.

Don't forget about Bam Bam Bigelow and Vader. Sure, the dudes may (have been) a little fat, but for their size, they were insane.

Cena, who's strength is an athletic feat in itself, did a headscissors-takedown that impressed me to no end.

Cesaro, who's pretty big, but not nearly one of the biggest guys in pro wrestling, has one of the most amazing power-to-weight ratio's I've ever seen. I would say that's also a type of athleticism.

Definition of "athlete" from Merriam-Webster.com:

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Pro wrestlers are athletes. Stupid question.

I think to be an athlete, you have to be in a sport and pro-wrestling isn't a sport because it's not a real competition. That's why I love wrestling, damn, an old form of art that to this day we don't even know what to call it, a sport or not.

To me wrestling is like dance, so I'll call wrestling an art and not a sport, then turning pro wrestlers into artists.

All professional wrestlers have to be athletic. I don't know if I'd call all of them athletes, but they all have some athletic ability. More than your average person for sure.

Except for The Gresat Khali. That dude can barely even walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back