What Are Your Personal Biases?

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
Ok I'm back and hopefully making a thread that doesn't cause as much controversy as the last one did and today it deals with our personal biases to subjects. We all have them, we all act certainly due to different scenarios and in a subsection forum dealing with controversial world topics are biases show so this thread is designed to reveal our personal biases and give a brief explanation as to why we have them in order to keep this non spam.

Alcohol

I am extremely stern when dealing with topics of underage drinking, DUIs, and just drunkeness. My father was an alcoholic and he would say things that I will never be able to get out of my head and now I am extremely biased in alcohol discussions. I don't mind drinking I just mind drunken over indulgence.

Bullying

This might explain some things to a lot of you but when it comes to bullying I have stopped caring. Growing up I was bullied to the point of being suicidal. Then I grew up and ended bigger than everyone. I still suffer from depression, still remember it all however I'm odd in that now I don't think of bullying as anything but a normal act of life. It hurt me but you see it so much hear of it so much that quite frankly I've become numb to it.

Animal Rights Advocacy Groups

Can't stand them. I like animals but I hate animal right advocacy groups. Don't get me wrong I believe animals should have rights and you shouldn't be allowed to abuse animals...but there's something about animal right advocacy groups that turns me off.

Independants

I love them. I hate the black and whiteness of republican or democrat and like people who deal with the middle. I think if American politics took out the polar opposites and made more mixed idea groups our government would be better.

If you can get people talking, it's a good thing. Everyone agreeing on an issue is a bad thing for this world. So getting people to disagree with your viewpoint, and even challenge it like I did in the last thread, is beneficial, not controversial.

I am extremely stern when dealing with topics of underage drinking, DUIs, and just drunkeness. My father was an alcoholic and he would say things that I will never be able to get out of my head and now I am extremely biased in alcohol discussions. I don't mind drinking I just mind drunken over indulgence.
This isn't a bias, it's a stance, or a personal credo, towards something. I, too, share the same type of stance, perhaps an even more rigid one. I don't allow alcohol in my wife and I's house, except for wine. It's literally the only thing I'm rigid about with regards to her. (other then her not cheating ;)) I drank enough in my mid-twenties, I don't want to solve every stressful situation with a glass of cognac or scotch like I used to. Because while it might postpone te issue rather nicely, the issue remains, along with a nice headache.

Bullying

This might explain some things to a lot of you but when it comes to bullying I have stopped caring.

Growing up I was bullied to the point of being suicidal. Then I grew up and ended bigger than everyone. I still suffer from depression, still remember it all however I'm odd in that now I don't think of bullying as anything but a normal act of life. It hurt me but you see it so much hear of it so much that quite frankly I've become numb to it.
Not to be argumentative, but this too is also not a bias. And it sounds like your issue with bullying has more to do with the frequency you hear of it, not the act itself. And the reason you hear so much of it, especially in today's media? Columbine. The Rutgers student who jumped to his death after being outed as gay. It would be nice if we lived in a society where people don't take being bullied to such extremes, as I'm certainly not defending suicide or homicide.

But it's a serious issue, one that does need addressed frequently. If your dislike is for WWE's B A Star campaign, that's one thing. But to take issue with the idea of people who are bullied and the awareness brought to it, well, you were there once.

Perhaps people did, but it wouldn't have been much fun if people took an "I don't care it's not me anymore" stance at the time, would it?

Animal Rights Advocacy Groups

Can't stand them. I like animals but I hate animal right advocacy groups. Don't get me wrong I believe animals should have rights and you shouldn't be allowed to abuse animals...but there's something about animal right advocacy groups that turns me off.
Ok, let's go further. What is it about Animal Rights Advocacy groups that you have such an issue with, my friend? After all, a bias is looking down at a set of beliefs in favor of another. So what bias do you hold against Animal Rights groups, and what would you propose in the alternative?

As for your statement for Independant's and against Democrats and Republicans, there you go. You have a perspective that holds the latters in low esteem, while holding the former in high. That, kiddo, is a bias, as long as you have positions you support amongst Independents, and those you reject amongst Republicans and Democrats.

The closest thing I have to a bias is towards young mothers who keep their children just to collect that SSI or welfare check. I'm adopted, and the only thing I know of my biological mother is that she was just 17 when she gave birth to my twin sister and I. Instead, I was adopted my my mother and my father(who are blood to me), who on their own, were able to reproduce.

So I have strong stances against mothers and fathers who hold onto their children simply to collect off of them, and live in abject poverty as a result. As an alternative, I am strongly in favor of adoption, and personally feel anyone who gets pregnant before they turn 18 shouldn't have a choice. If they can't prove they can provide both a financially and emotionally secure environment in which to raise their child, they should be forced to give the child up for adoption. And the burden should be on them, not the state, as in they should have to prove it.

And that, I suppose, still straddles the line between bias and simply a strong opinion.

If you can get people talking, it's a good thing. Everyone agreeing on an issue is a bad thing for this world. So getting people to disagree with your viewpoint, and even challenge it like I did in the last thread, is beneficial, not controversial.

True. Honestly I'll probably respond to that one after I'm back from church (leaving for it soon.) I was in New York City most of the day yesterday which is why I was only really on later in the night.

This isn't a bias, it's a stance, or a personal credo, towards something. I, too, share the same type of stance, perhaps an even more rigid one. I don't allow alcohol in my wife and I's house, except for wine. It's literally the only thing I'm rigid about. (other then her not cheating ;)) I drank enough in my mid-twenties, I don't want to solve every stressful situation with a glass of cognac or scotch like I used to. Because wile it might postpone the issue rather nicely, the issue remains, along with a nice headache.

I could see how this wouldn't be seen as a bias per se in the true definition of the word however I guess to elaborate when I see or meet people who admit to being frequent drinkers and "party animals" I am less inclined to be friends with them due to this personal bias against alcohol. So whilst my personal stance is "I don't like alcohol the bias that comes from that would be people who I see acting under the influence or admit to crazy behavior whilst under the influence generally turn me away from them.

Not to be argumentative, but this too is also not a bias. And it sounds like your issue with bullying has more to do with the frequency you hear of it, not the act itself. And the reason you hear so much of it, especially in today's media? Columbine. The Rutgers student who jumped to his death after being outed as gay. It would be nice if we lived in a society where people don't take being bullied to such extremes, as I'm certainly not defending suicide or homicide.

This is one where I'll agree with your assessment of me not being truly biased but me having an obscure opinion. True the frequency of it does numb me and my back history towards it makes me less apathetic however you're right in saying I don't any particular biases towards it.

But it's a serious issue, one that does need addressed frequently. If your dislike is for WWE's B A Star campaign, that's one thing. But to take issue with the idea of people who are bullied and the awareness brought to it, well, you were there once.

Probably off topic however I agree It is a serious issue and I know in the past I have perhaps come off totally unsympathetic towards the issue of bullying however that's just not true. I'm not a verbal advocate of anti-bullying I don't like talking about it because truthfully I don't think I'm comfortable with it. However I have no problem stopping bullying by simple seeing it happen and giving the "if you continue I'm going to mess with you glance." However more to the root of the problem in the next quotation.

Perhaps people did, but it wouldn't have been much fun if people took an "I don't care it's not me anymore" stance at the time, would it?
I agree. People saying they don't care wouldn't be that good at all. It's not that I personally don't care it's more I don't care yet to do anything. I think in essence my own past hinders me from being sympathetic to the subject because well in my head it happened to me, if it happens to someone what's the difference. I'll stop it in real life if I get the chance but speaking out against it is something I can't do yet and I think it comes off in my head as I just don't quite "care" to yet.

Ok, let's go further. What is it about Animal Rights Advocacy groups that you have such an issue with, my friend? After all, a bias is looking down at a set of beliefs in favor of another. So what bias do you hold against Animal Rights groups, and what would you propose in the alternative?
I guess my bias towards them is that I feel that their persistent nature mixed with my undervaluing of animals makes me more inclined to allow some flexibility on what can and can't happen to animals. When I hear what they're saying my initial reaction is to cringe and disregard what they're saying. I'm under the belief that in general humans care for animals and whilst they'll always be those who don't care for them we don't necessarily need animal right groups chastising the world. I just think I find them annoying and therefore it causes me to just not listen to them. I think right now that there's no need and humans in general should do what's best for animals without needing to be told.

As for your statement for Independant's and against Democrats and Republicans, there you go. You have a perspective that holds the latters in low esteem, while holding the former in high. That, kiddo, is a bias, as long as you have positions you support amongst Independents, and those you reject amongst Republicans and Democrats.

True, I hold independent values over the other two as I feel that the spectrum of ideas in the independent realm is far superior to the pointed nature of ideas in the other groups.

The closest thing I have to a bias is towards young mothers who keep their children just to collect that SSI or welfare check. I'm adopted, and the only thing I know of my biological mother is that she was just 17 when she gave birth to my twin sister and I. Instead, I was adopted my my mother and my father(who are blood to me), who on their own, were able to reproduce.

So I have strong stances against mothers and fathers who hold onto their children simply to collect off of them, and live in abject poverty as a result. As an alternative, I am strongly in favor of adoption, and personally feel anyone who gets pregnant before they turn 18 shouldn't have a choice. If they can't prove they can provide both a financially and emotionally secure environment in which to raise their child, they should be forced to give the child up for adoption. And the burden should be on them, not the state, as in they should have to prove it.

And that, I suppose, still straddles the line between bias and simply a strong opinion.

I could see where that would be a problem and cause you to feel that way. I'm not big on the idea myself, and dislike it the same as you however I have a lot less experience with said topic therefore my feelings aren't as strong as yours.

I guess in general except for my bullying opinions it wasn't that I wasn't biased I just did a poor job of explaining it. Alcohol bias is more I dislike talking and associating with people who get drunk for pleasure, and the animals I feel I'm more prone to agreeing with those who say people should govern themselves in regards to animal rights and rather make the animal rights groups voices less heard.

I'm unsure if this is what you were looking for Macios, as I agree with LSN that most of what you wrote didn't fit my definition of bias, but I'll type it anyway.

I'm biased towards smokers. Completely irrational, as my mum smokes and she's the nicest person ever. Still, I can't stand it to the extent I would never date a guy who smoked. Even if I'd previously thought a guy was attractive, the second I saw him smoke a cigarette, my attraction would disappear very easily. Maybe it's because in High School smoking was what the 'cool kids' did - and those same kids where the asshole scum of society? I genuinely can not stand smoking, and I've judged someone off of that alone. Wrong? Most likely, but I do it without even thinking.

Drug Addicts are another; I know that there are a million different reasons people get into taking drugs and that addiction is awful. However, I resign my sympathy for those people with problems they did not cause, or could not help. I recognise that no one sets out to be addicted to a substance, but I also recognise that a large proportion of those addicts made the decision to try cocaine or heroin for whatever reason. I semi-regularly come into contact with those who have a substance addiction in my work, and while professionally, I can treat them the same as the little old lady who was beaten and mugged, or had a stroke, personally I have much more sympathy for the old lady, than the 20-something drug addict.

Bias? Maybe so, but I don't see it an issue unless it treads into being discrimination, especially professionally - something I ensure never happens.

I suppose my immediate reactions to someone with a whole range of tattoos would qualify as a bias/stereotype. It ranges somewhere between "idiot" and "gobshite," largely because I find that the vast majority of tattoos either look like complete shit or are sported by complete pieces of shit. Those immediate feelings then get transmitted to others even before I know anything about them.

It is a bias even extended to one of my best friends, who went down in my estimation after getting a truly awful looking tramp stamp. Such things are right up there with fake tan and excessive makeup in the things most likely to put me off a woman.

Drug Addicts are another

I would go further than that and say beyond alcohol and maybe smoking, I look down my nose at anyone who uses recreational drugs.

I would imagine that it comes from my easy upbringing and not feeling that I ever needed that extra level of relaxation/excitement/escapism etc. and the fact that it is/was illegal.

Барбоса;4581703 said:
I suppose my immediate reactions to someone with a whole range of tattoos would qualify as a bias/stereotype. It ranges somewhere between "idiot" and "gobshite," largely because I find that the vast majority of tattoos either look like complete shit or are sported by complete pieces of shit. Those immediate feelings then get transmitted to others even before I know anything about them.

It is a bias even extended to one of my best friends, who went down in my estimation after getting a truly awful looking tramp stamp. Such things are right up there with fake tan and excessive makeup in the things most likely to put me off a woman.

I would go further than that and say beyond alcohol and maybe smoking, I look down my nose at anyone who uses recreational drugs.

I would imagine that it comes from my easy upbringing and not feeling that I ever needed that extra level of relaxation/excitement/escapism etc. and the fact that it is/was illegal.

I get the recreational drugs. And I'm not proud of drinking. I do it every now and then, but it was one of those principles I let myself give up, just so I could have fun with friends.

The tattoo thing bothers me a little. I want to change that perception. And I don't blame you for having it. I just wish you didn't have it. If you're around enough people that strengthen a bad perception, you're going to start thinking that certain people are idiots/morons/trash/insertnegativeconnotationhere. That's just the way people are.

I love tattoos. I don't consider the ones I have to be stupid or bad. Though no one does at first. But mine are important to me. None of them have a special significance. I just really like them a lot. I'm proud of them. They're things that I want to last a lifetime. Hell, a couple of them are there just because I think they look cool. But I can't ever see myself regretting them. It's a shame stupid people think they're cool too. XD

I dont understand what this thread is about.

Anyways, in response to both Barbosa and Xemmy, I could give two flying rats ass about what anyone assumes about me or thinks of my tattoos. I didnt get them because of what other people woud think of them, I got them because of what I fet about their meaning.

On the other hand, I dont really get down with the whole "zomg tattoo acceptance movement".....Motherfucker, no one held a gun to your head and made you get them....You knew full damn well the perception they may carry with them when you got them. No one has to be accepting of any sort of modification you make to your body. "oh, I smear feces on my face and walk around like that every day, how could you judge me, you need to accept this".....Nah, not really. Shouldnt matter anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back