• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What about a "Roulette" PPV?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Even though this is the age of WWE-PG, is it possible to hold a (RAW) roulette pay per view still? Since Vince McMahon is still throwing PPV idea's why not bring back this idea?

RAW roulette debuted in mid to late '02 in Las Vegas during then RAW GM Eric Bischoff's run in the company. Where in Bischoff's office backstage there was a giant wheel of fortune with various gimmick matches on it. And on what ever match the arrow would fall on that would be the match.

Like we had Triple H Vs. D'Lo Brown in a "blindfold match", Al Snow Vs. Test (R.I.P.) in a street fight match, and Trish Stratus Vs. Stacy Keibler in a "paddle of a pole" match. Now I know that the WWE is now PG rated, but they can move some of those matches around, and of course axe the first blood match.

The last time we saw a RAW roulette RAW on a monday was back two years ago. But what if the WWE made this RAW brand event into a pay per view at some point by next year? It could even take place in Las Vegas where it all started!

I actually think this would be quite a wonderful idea, because even though this is PG and less match types are available, the choices left can still be a pretty good selection like street fight, steel cage, i quit, ladder, or even tables. Would be awesome if bra and panties wa allowed again though, lol.

It would be something new---at least newer than the "Cyber Sunday". I don't buy into the concept that people voted for this, or whatever. I'm not knocking the idea at all...but I think many years ago (help me out people), WCW had the same thing, or similiar thing, and I could have SWORE that everytime they showed the wheel spinning, it always almost leaned to cage match or first blood match (or something to that effect)~~ like the wheel was purposely weighted to land on that. I think they should hold some sort of lottery---Cena is in the ring, and he reaches in and grabs a ball (i.e. like they use in bingo) and it has a name on it....and that's who he wrestles. Yes I know, could be a bust (who would watch Cena and Santino?), but at least it would be an honest picking from the tumbler.

I think they should hold some sort of lottery---Cena is in the ring, and he reaches in and grabs a ball (i.e. like they use in bingo) and it has a name on it....and that's who he wrestles. Yes I know, could be a bust (who would watch Cena and Santino?), but at least it would be an honest picking from the tumbler.

WCW started this idea back at the 1991 Starcade PPV. I think that this was a great PPV and enjoyed the format of the Battlebowl/Lethal Lottery. I dont think this would be entirely far fetched to believe the WWE cant bring this lottery format back. It adds the possibility of fresh storylines coming about from this format.

I know I am NOT a fan of the fans voting thing because its completely controlled by the WWE. Its a joke. I would rather not have any type of fan voting since WWE controls the outcome of it.

I think its a great idea in theory, but I don't the WWE would ever do it. Most matches are planned out in advance and so the outcomes of the spins of the wheel would have to fixed. I think most fans would see right through this. When They did the RAW roulette episodes, the matches were not particulary good. On the other hand, if they dont fix the wheel then they run the risk of having matches that no one wants to see. Years ago WCW did a Spin the Wheel Make the Deal PPV event and it was a disaster. The main event match of Sting Vs jake Roberts ended up being a coal miners glove match that absolutely sucked.

I like the lottery idea, even if it's scripted (which it would have to be as storylines are written well ahead of time) but imagine if there was no advertised matches for a ppv! I think the days are over where the fans are buying ppvs to see two particular guys face off. Imagine if for instance cena draws taker out, something unsavoury happens in the match and this is how their fued is formed. Or 2 guys who have never fought before draw each other and put on a wrestling clinic and gain a mutual respect. It's ideal for turning feuds, storylines and face/heel personas on their head. Sure it's a quick and cheap way to mix things up but it would be more entertaining in doing so than say the annual draft.

Don't like the roulette wheel idea but the names out of hats would be awesome, scripted of course.

2 absolute great ideas in this thread.
1) WWE Roulette PPV- This would be phenomenal. Build a card of matches but unknown stipulations. Maybe link this to or use it to replace Extreme Rules.
2) WWE Battle Bowl- I would love the idea of at random tag teams selected with the winners going into a battle royal. Have the winner get a title shot at SummerSlam or Survivor Series.

There are many pros and cons to the idea of a "Roulette" format or picking names out of a hat:

Pros

- It is a cool idea for a PPV as it can be marketed easily with a Las Vegas theme and be an annual Vegas event

- If the matches were scripted, instead of being totally random choices, it could bring matchups that we don't see often and could start new fueds and re-ignite old fueds

- It could be a huge push for young talent as a World Champion could select a young talent, giving that young talent a push to the main event scene

Cons

- If the matches were completely random and not pre-determined then it could make the PPV a major fail, giving us matchups like Cena vs. Goldust that no one wants to see

- It would be hard to advertise the PPV from a storyline lead up point of view. If no one knows who they are going to face at the PPV, then what do the wrestlers do for the few weeks between PPV's. The weeks between PPV's are always about building up a storyline that gets resolved or added upon at the upcoming PPV

- There would be less to look forward to as I, and i'm guessing many others, usually select PPV's based on who is on the card and the types of matches they are in. If my favorite wrestlers, orton, bourne, undertaker and jericho, aren't on the card I probably won't buy the PPV. This is why I'm always mad when matches are created at PPV's, like Y2J vs. Bourne at F4W, because i would have ordered the PPV if I knew that the match was on the card

I would personally love a PPV based on this format, and compared to the other new PPV's that WWE is creating, this would be golden.

You guys are getting away from the actual idea of the Roulette wheel and the battle bowl. Some of u are saying to pick names and that would be the match. WRONG. Roulette would work all they have to do is axe the first blood match and the diva matches (bra and panties/paddle on a poll) and w/e the wheel lands on thats the match type they could still make the matches and build them u just wouldnt kno the stip, as for battle bowl its random names being drawn for tag matches with the winning teams moving on for a battle royal with the winne rgetting a future world title shot great idea to elevate younger talant.

It wil lbe really bad cuz then ur practically not building a great feud. I mean yeh the roulette presents really new ideas or stips for a match but i think it wouldn really be great as a PPV itself

sounds like a pretty decent idea. you would have to remove some of the slots on the roulette wheel but it would make for something different and could create an exciting match. for example, just hear me out on this, it would be kind of funny if undertaker and kane would be in a feud and got selected for a ladder match!

Not a bad idea...Kinda like Cyber Sunday, but better...

It's like Halloween Havoc back in early 90's..spin the wheel, make deal..and it was at Halloween Havoc and it kinda made sence back then aswell, as most fights were hardcore...

Its a great idea, but not in the PG era...

Alright so lets look at these ideas collectively lets take one PPV and rename it ROULETTE and have it in VEGAS for like the first two or three years then just keep the theme after that.
Now during the weeks in between the previous and following PPV you can have a lethal lottery now I would like the battle royal to be at either summerslam or survivor series and then the theme would be the survivor gets a title shot against the champion of their show and have both shows handle a lethal lottery and when there are four teams left on each show then you have a 16 man over the top battle royal and once it is done they get the title shot at the next big PPV like either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble and use the months in between the win and the shot to build a good storyline to show them as a valid contender. Now on the Roulette PPV idea can work if you name the competitors for most of the matches except the title matches with these matches you can make it to where they defend the title, non-title match, and handicapped match: like tying ine arm behind the champs back just to spice up the wheel and get some new faces elevated to the next tier for them maybe not ME but they can get bumped to midcard from lower card if they win against the champ in a non title match.

There are many pros and cons to the idea of a "Roulette" format or picking names out of a hat:

Pros

- It is a cool idea for a PPV as it can be marketed easily with a Las Vegas theme and be an annual Vegas event

- If the matches were scripted, instead of being totally random choices, it could bring matchups that we don't see often and could start new fueds and re-ignite old fueds

- It could be a huge push for young talent as a World Champion could select a young talent, giving that young talent a push to the main event scene

Cons

- If the matches were completely random and not pre-determined then it could make the PPV a major fail, giving us matchups like Cena vs. Goldust that no one wants to see

- It would be hard to advertise the PPV from a storyline lead up point of view. If no one knows who they are going to face at the PPV, then what do the wrestlers do for the few weeks between PPV's. The weeks between PPV's are always about building up a storyline that gets resolved or added upon at the upcoming PPV

- There would be less to look forward to as I, and i'm guessing many others, usually select PPV's based on who is on the card and the types of matches they are in. If my favorite wrestlers, orton, bourne, undertaker and jericho, aren't on the card I probably won't buy the PPV. This is why I'm always mad when matches are created at PPV's, like Y2J vs. Bourne at F4W, because i would have ordered the PPV if I knew that the match was on the card

I would personally love a PPV based on this format, and compared to the other new PPV's that WWE is creating, this would be golden.

Ok, so lets say WWE arranges the stars, but uses the roulette as a way to select a match. Whats bad bout that? Orton Vs. Cena is a blindfold mtach wouldnt be good. but it does give young stars a chance to get a push.

I love the idea of a (Raw) Roulette PPV. Not so much the Lottery. The only thing that would be worried about is of course the match types. We would have some obvious choices like Ladders, Tables, Cage, Street Fight, Submission, hell it would even be away to bring back the inferno match. But There would have to be some pre-recorded spins or Titantron Picks ala The Draft that way we would get a variety of matches and not 4 tables matches that we could wait for TLC for.

I would love to see a roulette PPV. that would be imence.
It's been a long time since we have seen the roulette spin board appear in the WWE.

I Love Raw Rouletee .. :)

PPV Though // I think No :(

If It Was Not For All These Inter Ppvs It Might Turn Out Well ..

It Work Well If We Had Raws Rouletee On A Saturday Every What !! Round Xmas.

Then King Of The Ring The Saturday Round Summer !!

Would TurnOu Alrite ..

For Know .. No :(

"Coz Stone Cold Sed So " :worship:

Please please please please PLEASE REPLACE FATAL 4 WAY WITH ROULETTE! I f***ing HATE the idea of creating a whole damn PPV based around a match you could have on live TV and the audience will take a pee break. So that's why you make us hold our bladder with everything we've got and replace Fatal 4 Way with WWE Roulette! It's a great idea! Even though we're (unfortunately) still in the PG era, this can still happen. Just take off things like First Blood and Bra and Pan.............. on second thought, keep the last one and pray for Maryse. My point is, Roulette: IN, Fatal 4 Way: OUT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back