• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What a pathetic fool you are...

Ultra Awesome

Im standing in Brooklyn/
This thread idea came up from a debate that me and LSN had in my euthanasia thread. In our debate we reached the topic of the people that suffer from mental illness.

As well all know, a mental illness is any disease to the mind that affects their overall perception of life. It is when someone has a severe psychological problem; whether it be emotionally or behavioral--this person struggles in his (or her) day-to-day life trying to overcome these obstacles; yet, deep down inside their mind, they know that they cannot keep on living like this. They know that trying to live a normal life will not be possible. Thus, there is only one solution--suicide.

When one is ill from the result of a mental disorder, they begin to loose their sanity and ultimately reach insanity. They become so insane that they start to think different from that of the average human being. But more importantly, the emotional hardships that one faces through the process are beyond bearable. They are aware of the problems they have; yet, there is nothing they can do about them as it is not something that they can control fully. Best thing they can do is try to make the best of their life or end their life before it gets any worse.

However, the problem with the second choice is that society as a whole frowns on these people. They think that those that commit suicide because of a mental illness are nothing more than brainless fools. They say that mentally ill patients are just trying to take the easy way out and are not trying to make the best of their lives--they are pathetic. But upon critical thinking, is that really the case?

If a person is mentally ill, do they not have the right to euthanize themselves if the pain they face is unbearable?

--> Given the response​

Do we, society as a whole, have the right to frown on these people for doing so?

The main purpose for these people to kill themselves is to die with a bit of dignity and ultimately protect their sanity from getting any worse. However, many beg to differ as they have indulged themselves in the fanatisies that have been created in the real world; thus claiming that people who commit suicide because of being mentally ill are foolish. So now, I ask you, what is your opinion on the matter? Should they be allowed to commit suicide or not?

First off, Im glad that we concurred that you should do the thread, and not me. You elocuted perfectly the way society looks at and views people with mental illness. Plus it gives me the chance to completely kick your ass here if you disagree with me.;)

If a person is mentally ill, do they not have the right to euthanize themselves if the pain they face is unbearable?

We all have the right to do whatever we want with our bodies as we see fit. It's the free will that comes with being a human being. However, people with mental illness fall into a different class in terms of "illness". Many mentally ill people have what are known as degenerative disorders. Just as is the case with a person who is terminally ill, this person will not get better. No amount of medication, talk therapy, or institutionalizing of these people will help. Just as with the terminally ill, treatment may serve as a vehicle to keep them lucid, but their condition will get progressively worse. It may not be obvious upon first glance, but these people truly are dying. Its just on the inside.

Unlike with the terminally ill, no doctor will ever feel so "moved by compassion" that they will consider euthanasia with the person. Why? Because it's impossible to quantify exactly what a mental illness is, or its origins. Some attribute it to a chemical imbalance in the brain(making it a physical illness indeed). Others link it to a way of thinking. Others link it to terrible trauma. Finally, drug dependency and alcohol abuse are linked to deterioration of the brain and subsequently the mind(also physical illness).

But those people who suffer with mental illness are labeled as having a disease for a reason. And because of it, no matter the reason, these people should be entitled to the same rights and treatment that the physically ill are afforded. If active euthanasia is seen as a viable option to be put on the table for the physically ill, then it should be for the mentally ill as well. They should be allowed to say their good byes, and die in peace.

Obviously, there's an inherent flaw here in my argument. With a physical illness, the symptoms one will suffer as the disease progresses are visible and known. Not so much for the mentally ill. So when the physically ill are at the point where no other treatment options are available, its much easier to say that Euthanasia is the most dignified option. With a mental illness, the belief is always that another medication can be tried, or a different type of therapy. Even though these diseases are labeled as degenerative, medical professionals can only go by what they're being told, rather then by what test results tell them. As long as options remain available, I believe that all people should attempt to fight the good fight as long as possible. But if the sufferring becomes too intense, the same options afforded those who are terminally ill should be afforded them. That is, if active euthanasia is a real and realistic option.

Do we, society as a whole, have the right to frown on these people for doing so?

We as society have the right to do as we please. We demonstrate that "right" every day when we label the mentally ill as "sad", "delusional", "insane", and "pathetic." We insist they get help, and tell them to "just try harder." So as society, we have the right to do as we please. We're a judgemental lot, us humans.

To truly answer this question, you have to consider what it would be like to experience mental illness with a loved one, and watch them degenerate. You have to consider their sufferring over the months, years, and even decades. Im sure most of us are good people, and in our good nature, truly have the best intentions in mind for our loved ones. In that vein, we want to see our loved ones succeed and be happy, even if our ways are misguided. But in the end,

Its a terrible thing when we look down on people who commit suicide. Each person is different, and there's no possible way to know how they're truly sufferring. They're pain may be as real as anyone with a physical illness, just in a different way. I think there's a sublime dignity in the person who decides their emotional sufferring is too great, and chooses to take their life. Just as the person with a physical illness becomes an extra burden on their caregiver, those with mental illness do as well. There's something unselfish and quite dignified about the person who decides to relieve that caregiver of said burden, and truly how society should view them.

What is your opinion on the matter?

The biggest problem we as a society have with said people is there's no sense of closure. While people with physical illness that choose euthanasia get to say their goodbyes(it happens more then you think), those with mental illness do not. As I stated earlier, no doctor or mental health professional will ever condone the act of suicide as an out. So these people are forced to hide their problems, write a note, and die alone. It leaves their loved ones and caregivers with more questions then answers, which distorts the view on the person as well. Those people are left with a tremendous sense of guilt and trepidation. The most common belief is that "There's always more I could have done." No proper goodbyes are able to be said, and there's no sense of peace, so closure is ultimately never achieved. Suicide by the mentally ill is often viewed as a cowardly, selfish act.

Obviously, Id argue there's nothing further from the truth. As a mental health professional, Ive seen the impact mental illness can have on one's quality of life, and the burden it can place on their loved one, subconscious or not. Over my 6 years in the field, ive seen clients die by their own hand. Obviously, ive questioned my own work, and wonder what more I could have done. But ultimately, I think the mentally ill who take their own life do so for altruistic reasons. They believe that their burden is too great to bear, and they don't want to burden the outside world any longer. What is more dignified then that? Those people should be afforded the right to discuss it as an option if no treatment will successfully work, allowing them to move on to a better place, say their goodbyes, and give their loved ones closure. In the end, what more could one ask for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back