• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

West Virginia to the Big 12; Missouri to the SEC

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
It is all but done. West Virginia, at last report I saw from an hour ago, could be accepted as earlier as later tonight, and the only thing holding back Missouri's change of scenery is legal issues. So what effect will this have on the landscape of college football?

Maybe, just maybe, as a West Virginia fan, I am biased, but I feel this could be the move that really changes college football. With Pitt and Syracuse already heading to the ACC, and WVU bolting the Big east as well, I will assume UConn will further pursue it's desires to leave as well, and with a decent football program and a powerhouse basketball program, I will assume the ACC will be waiting with open arms. This would give them 15 members, which will more than likely have them gunning for a 16th, giving college football it's first 16 team super conference, along with the Mountain West and Conference-USA announcing a football merger creating a second. This could also possibly trigger the remaining Big East to join those schools, or lure schools from the two conferences, and the SEC to open doors to two more teams to equal 16 as well.

Anyway, that is just my take on it, feel free to discuss this move here.

I personally was kinda down seeing WVU go to the Big 12 i wanted them to come to the ACC being a Virginia Tech fan i would have loved to see the Battle for the Black Diamond Trophy rivalry renewed. On the other hand this is huge for the Big 12 and if they can snag Boise then they can regain their lost glory.

lee-corso1.jpg

Conference Re-Alignment hit another snag today. West Virginia is apparently not in as of right now, and we can thank Mitch McConnell and the Louisville Cardinals for that. Yup, that Senate Majority Leader is supposedly calling in favors with some friends to give the Cards a fighting chance. I wish I could make that up, but it's true.

Texas wants Louisville, others want West Virginia, so Texas has now started the stalling. Supposedly West Virginia had the votes to go, but Texas now has Tech and Baylor blocking them for now. Gotta love it.

Way to go Louisville and Big 12, way to screw us.

What really pisses me off as a West Virginia fan is that the Big 12 had assured WVU it was basically a done deal and it was supposed to be formally announced today. Personally, I would much rather see the Mountaineers head to the ACC, or for a second option, the SEC, but the Big 12 was a great option too. I would have just preferred a stronger basketball conference as well. I am also hoping that this is the door WVU can use to get into the ACC. Better geographical fit, better basketball fit with the way re-alignment is heading, and still strong in football. But, if the Big East can still salvage something out of football, whether a football merger only with another league, or managing to ring in Houston, Boise, UCF and/or possibly BYU, and keeping basketball strength, the Big East would still be great.

Overall, this has been a very interesting day for college football re-alignment, and this may have a big impact on how things move on from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back