• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Now I know what you're all thinking, Wes Briscoe is clearly going to be accepted due to the nature of the A&8's angle and because he is friends with Angle. And you'd probably be right for thinking that.

However, let's say Wes entered Gut Check normally and was part of no angles or anything like that. He just comes in like Silva or Shaw. Would you accept him? How do you think he compares to the other Gut Check talents?

I definitely saw Briscoe being in the upper echelon of the Gut Checkers along with York and Ryan. He seems a bit goofy and overracts (SOMEBODY GET THE DOC!) but I'm sure with time he can fix that.

Once again, despite the fact that you'll come across dozens of users here who will maintain that what a wrestler looks like doesn't matter, what a wrestler looks like does matter, and above all else, Brisco has a look. That takes him plenty far on it's own.

Combine that with the ability to wrestle, his family name and what is hopefully a great personality (we haven't seen enough of him to judge him on that just yet) and yes, he absolutely deserves a contract.

Once again, despite the fact that you'll come across dozens of users here who will maintain that what a wrestler looks like doesn't matter, what a wrestler looks like does matter, and above all else, Brisco has a look. That takes him plenty far on it's own.

I agree that a wrestler's look is very important. However Wes' look makes me incapable of taking him seriously. When your tattoos make it look like you've been in a horrific accident you have a shit look.

Oh, and you haven't even seen the worst of them yet. His tights cover up the extensive ink on his thighs.

Combine that with the ability to wrestle,

We watched the same match right? Brisco vs Bishoff was shit. Oh sure, Brisco showed he can do some moves, and do them well. However, he sold nothing and couldn't be arsed to tell a story in the ring. He wasn't much good in FCW, either.

his family name and what is hopefully a great personality (we haven't seen enough of him to judge him on that just yet)

Behold, Wes Brisco cutting a promo.

[YOUTUBE]0DR-glmWX0w[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a Justin Gabriel fan, so I know shit promos. That was a very shit promo.

and yes, he absolutely deserves a contract.

No, he really doesn't.

Having tattoos does not diminish the look of a performer, unless you are talking about a guy with tattoos like Sam Shaw, who basically has an entire arm blacked out in an awfully thick, just plain awful tribal design. I actually think Briscos tattoos help his look, because without them he's just an odd looking body-builder with a bad haircut.

As I already noted, though, I've yet to see enough of him to make an adequate judge of his character or his wrestling skills, because his match history with TNA is exactly one deep — against Garett Bischoff of all people. Once he's had an opportunity against someone who actually has credibility, I'll be more inclined to weigh in with a heavier opinion.

Having tattoos does not diminish the look of a performer, unless you are talking about a guy with tattoos like Sam Shaw, who basically has an entire arm blacked out in an awfully thick, just plain awful tribal design. I actually think Briscos tattoos help his look, because without them he's just an odd looking body-builder with a bad haircut.

In normal cases I agree. 'Taker is one of my favourite wrestlers and he's tattoed up to the gills. However, Wes Brisco's tattoos are simply horrible. Maybe they look better in HD (TNA can be watched in HD, right? I'm assuming Spike has an HD channel), but on youtube he always looks like he's been on the wrong end of a flamethrower. Seriously look at him and tell me he doesn't look ridiculous.

wesbrisco.jpg

As I already noted, though, I've yet to see enough of him to make an adequate judge of his character or his wrestling skills, because his match history with TNA is exactly one deep — against Garett Bischoff of all people. Once he's had an opportunity against someone who actually has credibility, I'll be more inclined to weigh in with a heavier opinion.

Fair, though some of his FCW stuff isn't hard to find. If you consider Slater or Johnny Curtis to have credibility there's matches of him against them. Oh, and sidenote about Wes, he's the most injury prone man in wrestling this side of Mr Kennedy/Anderson in WWE. I think he was put on the injured list three or four times (he was there for about a year) and he was recently (as in, less than a month ago) hospitalised for kidney problems. So there's that too.

In normal cases I agree. 'Taker is one of my favourite wrestlers and he's tattoed up to the gills. However, Wes Brisco's tattoos are simply horrible. Maybe they look better in HD (TNA can be watched in HD, right? I'm assuming Spike has an HD channel), but on youtube he always looks like he's been on the wrong end of a flamethrower. Seriously look at him and tell me he doesn't look ridiculous.

wesbrisco.jpg

Call me crazy, but I really don't think he looks ridiculous at all. His ring gear can go a long way in covering that sort of thing up, though, as you saw on Thursday since he was wearing long tights. If TNA are that worried about his legs, they'll just have him cover them, but I actually think they're quite unique and for him that's a good thing.

Fair, though some of his FCW stuff isn't hard to find. If you consider Slater or Johnny Curtis to have credibility there's matches of him against them. Oh, and sidenote about Wes, he's the most injury prone man in wrestling this side of Mr Kennedy/Anderson in WWE. I think he was put on the injured list three or four times (he was there for about a year) and he was recently (as in, less than a month ago) hospitalised for kidney problems. So there's that too.

That'll probably hinder his ability to breakout on his own, but I'm not so sure it'll hinder his ability to be worth a contract. If he's gonna be revealed in the Aces and Eights storyline he'll likely end up feuding with Kurt Angle, too, which should really give us a good read on just how good or bad he really is.

I missed Impact the other night so I really can't add my two cents as to whether he deserves a contract. In regards to looks, he has a wrestler look for sure, and his tats do not diminish that at all. Chances are he could get a contract off of his name as well. But let's be clear, with just about any new name to the roster there's a chance they are gonna be green. Speaking of which, where the hell is King Mo?

Compared to the other gut check guys, he's pretty great. Compared to the roster, it's too soon to tell.

Look: He's got a pretty good build with good size. His body tattoos don't bother me, but I think his leg tats are pretty excessive and should be covered by long tights. However he needs new tights because the ones he wore in his match looked dumb and plain.

In Ring: I have to say he looked pretty sloppy, but I have to consider he was in there with Garrett Bishoff, that didn't help. He executed generic moves, but nothing he did stood out to me. (Except the fact that he botched the finish and his shoulders were down during the pin).

Mic Skills: I haven't herd too much, bit he seems to over act everything. At this stage in his career I'd suggest heavily gimmicking him. I'll have more to say next week after his promo.

Contract?: Honestly I think he should have faced Kurt Angle. A loss to Angle would have made him look better than a win against Garrett. With that said, he won the match. He's the only one to do so, so I think he deserves a contract based on that alone.

With that said, he won the match. He's the only one to do so, so I think he deserves a contract based on that alone.

I gotta agree with this.

Honestly his match with Garrett was 1 of the worst matches I ever saw. I think Sharmell vs Jenna might have been better than this match that's how bad it was.

I think his leg tats look horrible so I think him wearing long tights is a must, If I was going based off that match and that match alone not a chance in hell would I give him a contract. If i'm going off everything I have ever seen from him I'd say sure give the kid a shot.

I think he will end up getting a contract considering there is a 99.9% chance he is the long haired guy in Aces & Eights but then again that could be the reason he doesn't get a contract so he has a reason to be pissed off at TNA.

wesbrisco.jpg

Holy crap. Those tats are ugly. I've never been a fan of the leg tats, I think they always look stupid and out of place.

Maybe during Gut Check, they'll tell him no. That way it'll lead to him and Aces & Eights attacking the judges or something. :)

My guess is that he gets the big NO, and that A&8's 'recruit' him rather than the typical unmasking. It's obvious he's in there, so have him get rejected and build off Angle choosing Baby Bisch, and then Wes beating Eric Jr., and you've got a logical reason......gasp.

Really quickly, and speaking of logic, or lack of, doesn't it bother anyone that they use the 'lack of contract' excuse for JP Abyss and Associates, and then the next segment they do Gut check where a guy without a contract wrestles?

I thought he looked terrible on impact. Those tights were weird. It's like they didn't fit him right. Made him look stubby. Then I saw the weird leg tats. I definitely think he's going to be revealed as A&8s. So I'll be interested to see how the gut check goes Thursday. But, if he gets a contract, he needs a new look. Maybe some big knee pads to cover up the tats.

I think put him in a tag team with Garrett would help both of them along. Add in Angle as their mentor and it gives Angle a reason to be involved with them but keeps him as a singles competitor where he belongs. Neither Bischoff or Briscoe really strikes me as IT but they could be a good enough tag team fill out the tag division.

And TNA needs to go the distance if they go that route, an actual catchy team name and matching ring gear, I suggest giving Briscoe some pants to match Bischoff and maybe a singlet underneath.

My guess is that he gets the big NO, and that A&8's 'recruit' him rather than the typical unmasking. It's obvious he's in there, so have him get rejected and build off Angle choosing Baby Bisch, and then Wes beating Eric Jr., and you've got a logical reason......gasp.

Really quickly, and speaking of logic, or lack of, doesn't it bother anyone that they use the 'lack of contract' excuse for JP Abyss and Associates, and then the next segment they do Gut check where a guy without a contract wrestles?

It doesn't bother me at all because on one hand you have a "lawyer" who "isn't a trained wrestler" and on the other hand you have a bunch of trained wrestlers trying to earn a wrestling contract.

I have to agree that the match was horrible, but he does have the wrestler look. The thing is though, he won the match, he was the only one to do it. For that reason I just assumed he would get a contract based on just that. I guess they could not give him a contract, and it could tie aces and eights in.

As another poster said, Brisco looks pretty damn good compared to most of the other Gut Check competitors but I'm not really sure how he stacks up with a lot of the main roster. He looked ok, but I wasn't wowed or anything. I need to see more of the guy before I can make up my mind. I mean, c'mon, his opponent was Garett Bischoff after all, so that's hardly a worthy representation of the TNA roster.

Wes Brisco does have a good look to him but having a great look simply doesn't take you as far as it once did. There are too many wrestlers out today with too much actual talent. Having a great look hasn't done much for Robbie E or Rob Terry in TNA or Ezekiel Jackson & Mason Ryan in WWE.

But yes, Brisco will win Gut Check because he's almost certainly one of the guys in Aces & Eights. Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen because the A&E angle most definitely hasn't blown me away. Maybe Brisco is someone that could breathe some new life into it.

At any rate, it's too soon for me to hop on the Brisco bandwagon or to pan the guy outright.

While his match on impact was poor, you have to remember that he was wrestling Garrett Bischoff. If I had my way, he would have wrestled somebody like kenny king or sonjay Dutt instead of a talentless wanabe who would never in a million years make it as a gut check competitor, Hell even having Brisco face one of the gut check guys would have lead to a better match.

Yes!

He is one of the best Gutcheck contestants yet. He had a small limited skilled opponent yet stilled pulled off a decent match and showed off some of his skills. Wes is tall yet can still do all of those flips or whatever. Not a bad look, not sure about his mic work but seems pretty legit in his backstage segments, has quite a bit of experience and a great family history in the industry.

Defiantly yes. If he is in A's and 8's, then he will add something great to that group. At the moment they look like a bunch of plumps, Brisco could change that.

I agree that a wrestler's look is very important. However Wes' look makes me incapable of taking him seriously. When your tattoos make it look like you've been in a horrific accident you have a shit look.

Oh, and you haven't even seen the worst of them yet. His tights cover up the extensive ink on his thighs.

We watched the same match right? Brisco vs Bishoff was shit. Oh sure, Brisco showed he can do some moves, and do them well. However, he sold nothing and couldn't be arsed to tell a story in the ring. He wasn't much good in FCW, either.

Behold, Wes Brisco cutting a promo.

[YOUTUBE]0DR-glmWX0w[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a Justin Gabriel fan, so I know shit promos. That was a very shit promo.

No, he really doesn't.

That promo was quite a while ago. People DO develop you know. Whats wrong with tattoos? Nothing. Taker has them, HHH has them, The Rock has them and there look isn't bad and neither is Brisco's. As far as his selling goes, again, he can improve. If it was that clear that he can't sell, I'm sure TNA will sort that out in OVW if it was such a major issue or if they want to make him a big star.

That promo was quite a while ago. People DO develop you know.

Yes, however he's cut no solo promos since then (that I can find) and there's usually a reason for that. Find a promo which resembles passable and we'll talk

Whats wrong with tattoos? Nothing. Taker has them, HHH has them, The Rock has them and there look isn't bad and neither is Brisco's.

Correct. There's nothing inherently wrong with tattoos. However, shit tattoos make the person who has them look shit. Wes Brisco not only has shit tattoos, but he has shit tattoos that make me think he survived a fire on an oil rig. Great if his gimmick was "guy who sirvived a fire on an oil rig" but not so much anything else.

As far as his selling goes, again, he can improve.

He's had three years to improve. He hasn't.

If it was that clear that he can't sell, I'm sure TNA will sort that out in OVW if it was such a major issue or if they want to make him a big star.

Right, because lack of quality training is the reason Brisco's shit. Not like he was trained by Dusty Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat, among others or anything. Oh wait, he was.

Yes, however he's cut no solo promos since then (that I can find) and there's usually a reason for that. Find a promo which resembles passable and we'll talk

Correct. There's nothing inherently wrong with tattoos. However, shit tattoos make the person who has them look shit. Wes Brisco not only has shit tattoos, but he has shit tattoos that make me think he survived a fire on an oil rig. Great if his gimmick was "guy who sirvived a fire on an oil rig" but not so much anything else.

He's had three years to improve. He hasn't.

Right, because lack of quality training is the reason Brisco's shit. Not like he was trained by Dusty Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat, among others or anything. Oh wait, he was.

Yes, his tattoos are shit as hell but we can't see any of them can we? So whats the problem?

All we have to do is listen to his promo this week and then we will see how good he is. He's know Rock or Austin but we will see how good he is this coming Impact.

As far as his selling goes, I'm giving him till about Lockdown or so to see his improvements. If it's still the same as well as his mic work, then yes; his selling and mic isn't what it should be but he still has his wrestling skill backing him up.

As far as his training goes, I don't know about Dusty Rhodes but clearly Steamboat did something well with him and that is his wrestling ability. Guys like HBK and Jake Roberts have their own wrestling schools but they still have a lot of crap talent so it's not Wes Brisco personally with the problem.

I don't like him. He looks weird as fuck. Top side's large and wide, little short legs, stupid hair. Not the type of wrestler I'd get behind. Maybe once/if he gets a gimmick going I'll be able to invest myself in him a bit more. As of now he's just a funny lookin' dude.

He's had three years to improve (selling ability). He hasn't.

yeah i can recall someone who was and still is the face of WWE for the past 6-8yrs that resembled that remark for most of that time :)

back to the question, i woulda said No Way, then again i think there was only 2 people that showed anything people could get engaged in and that was Joey Ryan and one other guy that got in and hasn't been seen since. can't recall, the name so it doesn't matter. Every other "contestant" has not been worthy, if they were indy workers i shudder to think what promotion had them and made anything from them except maybe Chikara-pro or those xtreme/backyard type feds where talent has no bearing aslong as you look like a fool.

Wes looks weird, his legs are gangly, his tattoes ugly and his ring work was ughhhh.
guess they are just going with names. woulda been better to pick up the two fake Brisco's from ROH they are great workers and funny promo givers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back