Wendi Richter: Worthy or Not?

Does Wendi Richter deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. She was a great Women's Champion.

• No. She's barely rememberable.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
wendi11.jpg

Wendi Richter (born on September 6, 1961 in Dallas, Texas) is a former professional wrestler best known for her stint in the World Wrestling Federation in the mid-1980s. Wendi Richter was trained at the The Fabulous Moolah's school and made her pro debut in 1980. The rough and rugged Richter was a heel in most of her early matches.

Wendi returned stateside signing with the WWF in late 1983. After an unremarkable start, Wendi found superstardom that few other female wrestlers have ever experienced. WWF owner Vince McMahon saw the attention a small promotion in Memphis got when Andy Kaufman got involved in wrestling and he wanted that type of exposure. He brought in rock superstar Cyndi Lauper for a feud with Lou Albano (who had appeared in Lauper's "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" video). They settled their differences by having their female competitors face off in a match. Albano seconded Women's Champion Fabulous Moolah, while Lauper was in the corner of Wendi. Wendi defeated Moolah at MTV's The Brawl to Settle it All for the WWF Women's Championship. At age 23, she became the youngest WWF Women's Champion in history and at the same time ended what was billed as the longest championship reign in professional wrestling history (The Fabulous Moolah's 28-year reign).

The ratings were remarkable and the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection" was born. Richter became one of the WWF's main attractions, often main eventing house shows, unheard of for women wrestlers. At one point, Wendi was second in popularity to only Hulk Hogan, whose Hulkamania was in full bloom. Wendi faced Moolah in several rematches around the country. She also faced challengers such as Judy Martin, Penny Mitchell, Black Venus, and Moolah protégé, Leilani Kai. Kai defeated Richter for the title in early 1985. She regained the title at the first WrestleMania one month later. Wendi was also animated for a CBS Saturday morning cartoon, titled Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling.

In 1985, after losing and then regaining the title from rival Leilani Kai at the inaugural WrestleMania, Richter was scheduled to defend her women's title at Madison Square Garden on November 25th of that same year against a mysterious masked opponent known only as The Spider Lady. The Spider had been an alternating group of women under a mask (including Penny Mitchell). Richter said she was never told who was under the mask or how the match was supposed to end. Moments into the match, her opponent attempted to pin Richter's shoulders to the mat and the referee delivered a swift three count (Richter clearly kicked out after a 1 count). Richter ignored the bell and continuing to attack the Spider Lady, unmasking the new champion to find out that she was The Fabulous Moolah. Richter claims she left the arena immediately after the match that night (still in her ring attire) and never spoke to McMahon or Moolah again.

This incident was billed by many wrestling fans as "The Original Screw Job". Nearly 12 years later, a similar scenario happened in Montreal at Survivor Series 1997 when Bret Hart lost his belt to Shawn Michaels, known to many as the "Montreal Screwjob."

In years following the incident, it was described as a dispute between Richter and Vince McMahon regarding monetary compensation and royalties. Richter claimed that she never made more than $1,500 per week while working for McMahon and that her WrestleMania payoff was roughly $5,000. Upon leaving the WWF, Richter wrestled in Puerto Rico, Japan, and throughout the U.S. in independent promotions. Her list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

American Wrestling Association
AWA Women's Championship (1 time)

Cauliflower Alley Club
Other honoree (1993)

Central States Wrestling
NWA Women's World Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Joyce Grable

National Wrestling Alliance
NWA Women's World Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Joyce Grable

World Wrestling Council
WWC Women's Championship (2 times)

World Wrestling Federation
WWF Women's Championship (2 times)

National Wrestling Federation
NWF Women's Championship (1 time)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Worst Match of the Year (1984) vs. The Fabulous Moolah on July 23

Wendi Richter: Wendi Richter was today's equal to someone like Victoria, Ivory, or even Molly Holly. I say this because while she accomplished several things, ultimately she's still and will forever be overshadowed by people like the Fabulous Moolah. And for good reason I'm sure.

None the less, Richter was one of the female's that I felt hit it big right before the company did, and when the company hit it's peak, Richter was falling from her's.

She did become a 2-time Women's Champion, including winning the title at the very-first Wrestlemania, which may indicate that the company had extremely high hopes for her. Her first reign came off defeating the Fabulous Moolah, whom held the title longer than anyone for roughly 28 years)

I think that Richter would be a nice choice for another female to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, that is if she can do what Bret Hart did, and put the screwjob behind her. Which is rather amazing, considering how long ago it was. What are your thoughts and opinions on Wendi Richter being a Hall of Fame inductee? Worthy or Not?

I'd say no here. She was almost the epitome of a flash in the pan, although quite a big flash. As Will said she fell off the top just as the company exploded so she's largely forgotten in today's wrestling world. She did her thing and that was all well and good, but she falls into the category of the pre-glory years. Being from that time period makes it hard to have a true legacy and only a handful have done it. Richter isn't oen of them to me.

In 84-85 Richter was the second most popular wrestler (male or female) in the WWF. She was equally responsible for bringing leagues of new fans to the WWF along with Hogan. The only reason she is considered a "flash in the pan" today is because McMahon fired her when she asked for more of the money she was making the company.

However, outside of winning the WWF title twice, awa title once and starting the biggest womens wrestling boom since the fifties, I'm not sure she did enough to get into the hall of fame. I'm leaning towards yes, but I won't be dissapointed if she doesn't make it in.

I would say no for many reasons. She never had a lasting legacy, though I am sure the WWE had something to do with that. She was heavily overshadowed by Fabulous Moolah throughout her career, and I almost feel horrible for her, by this time, she should have been the better wrestler. She does have some other positives, she is a two time Woman's champion, and helped Woman's wrestling gain ground. But compared to many other women, her career isn't that great.

If she can put the bad blood behind her, however, I can see her getting into the Hall of Fame. The reason behind this thought, is the WWE usually adds one woman a year, and they will start to run out of women quick enough. I do hope that it is not this year, and I hope another woman makes it in this year... a woman who many think should get in soon enough.

I'm going to say yes. While she isn't the most memorable women's wrestler she did make an impact while she was there. The WWE have let lesser known male wrestlers in. Also keep in mind there isn't alot of females worthy enough but I say yes.

She's a two time champ, who had a good women's feud with Moolah back in the day. She also was a solid wrestler who put in a lot of hard work. Winning the women;s title at Wrestlemania(a first)is also a great point. I say she is worthy as a token female but probably not this year.

Being put over by Moolah at the end of a record title reign is no small feat. Almost for that alone, I say yes.

She was the dominant performer in her division, and ended a 28-year title reign to capture her first gold. She might have never finished her 15 minutes of fame, but the time she was on top, was pretty remarkable for her.

It's already been noted that she won't make it, due to the "screwjob", but without that, I think she deserves a spot. I almost feel inclined to say "Why not?". I know reasons have been given, but it just seems right to put her in.

No. Wendi Richter wasn't even the best female in the company during the 80's, that went to a non wrestler in the form of Miss Elizabeth. The Women's title at that point was some where in between the Hardcore Title and the European title, simply put, no one gave a damn about the womens title, hence why Moolah had the damn thing for 30 years or something stupid like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back