Week 4 - Leafy vs. Gelgarin

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
This thread is for the debaters only. It will be open until Sunday at 6 PM CST.

Leafy will be affirming the topic.

Resolved: A business owner has a moral responsibility to it's employees after their retirement beyond the agreed upon employment contract.

I hear that Gelgarin is an amazing debater so I hope I match up, oh and good luck.

A business owner has a moral responsibility to it's employees after their retirement beyond the agreed upon employment contract. I believe after a person has worked for an employer that person becomes close to family to the employer. They have shown loyalty to them and deserve loyalty in return. A monetary payment does not equal the sweat a person sheds for an employer.

Not that every employee should be shown the same moral respect. When you come across an employee that is only there for the paycheck and has disrespected the employer throughout their entire career they can't be payed for any more moral value then they have shown. After retiring no moral debt is there because the employee has not shown a moral need for the employer, they have only shown a monetary need from them.

When an employee has shown that they have helped the employer past any career requirements that are shown. Only when they have surpassed the career requirements they shall receive the moral repayment that they deserve.

Coo... well we've certainly been handed an exciting topic for debate this week. Be warned that the combination of pensions and ethical responsibilities might just cause me to loose it.

A business owner has a moral responsibility to it's employees after their retirement beyond the agreed upon employment contract.

Wikipeida said:
Moral responsibility can refer to two different but related things. First, a person has moral responsibility for a situation if that person has an obligation to ensure that something happens. Assume that John promises to baby-sit for his neighbor while she goes to a job interview. However, he decides he will go to a concert instead. Arguably, John has moral responsibility for finding another appropriate babysitter for his neighbor.

That's how Wikipeida defines a moral responsibility. Now I know what you're all thinking, and I agree, that page does not conform to Wikipidea policy, but we'll run with it anyway.

Moral responsibility in business, and well as in life, only extends to the fulfilment of pledges already made. Just as the mysterious 'John' has no ethical compulsion to serve as a babysitter until he has agreed to do so, a business has no ethical compulsion to provide for an employee anything not previously promised outlines in the employees contract.

The assertion that businesses across the globe should be forced to provide something that the have never promised is both laughable and, the be quite frank, dangerous.

My opponent puts forward the argument that businesses should reward loyalty, and to a certain extent I agree.
Where I make opposition in that businesses have a moral responsibility to reward loyalty.
Businesses should reward loyalty if and when it proves to be good for business. Loyalty incentives can help to inspire loyalty, and as such be beneficial for the company, but if this is not the case then there is absolutely no reason why the company should be compelled to hand them out.

Moral responsibility and business are simply two things that do not match. Companies have financial responsibility to their shareholders (profit margins, expansion and suchlike), and certain legal responsibilities imposed by the government(minimum wage, safe working conditions), beyond that their job is simply to succeed.

If we start plastering companies with additional "ethical responsibilities" than all that will happen is that those companies that attempt to abide by the "code of conduct" will fail because of the costs involved, and when a company fails it's bad for it's customers, it's employees and the market place as a whole.

You might call it a sad state of affairs, but you simply cannot mix morality and money. If you want to place obligations on employers then the only way to do it is through contracts and employment legislation... anything else is just idealistic froth.

Gelgarin definetly takes this one here, since he actually expanded on his side a little bit. Where did you 2 go though? Could've actually had a debate this week.

Gelgarin - 40
Leafy - 20

Gelgarin makes the point that while an owner should take care of his people, he is under no obligation to do so.

Gelgarin 40
My protege 28

Nice easy reads for the two of you, though I felt like I was reading Wikipedia for it, which I actually did for some of Gelgarins.

Leaf failed to say much more than an into, so I give him 20.

Gelgarin didn't get the opportunity to go more in depth, so I can only give him 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back