Week 3 - Gelgarin vs. UT

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
This thread is for the debaters only. It will be open until Sunday at 6 PM CST.

Gelgarin will be affirming the topic.

Resolved: The right of a nation to gain information needed to protect itself outweighs the rights of captured enemy combatants.

My opponent no showed last week, and it seemed pretty apparent that it was going to happen again this week, so you'll forgive me for not caring very much about this debate.

This is more or less exactly the same debate as I got handed last week, weighting society's right to protect its self against the rights of the individual. Like I said, I'm not going to present much depth to a post that isn't going to generate responses, but I reckon I can find time to push out a couple of minor points.

1) It. Is. A. Mother. Fucking. War.

Enemy combatants are people you re fighting in a war. War is generally built around the premise of one large group of people trying to slaughter another large group of people. The ideology that there is some gentlemanly set of sporting guidelines that everyone should ad hear to is utterly antiquated, and harkens back to the days when the upper classed of the UK and France used to have a good war every now and then as a form of collective entertainment.

Against any realistic enemy we could find ourselves facing in the next decade, it is a universal truth that and fallen combatants from our side will be handed a trunk full of torture very quickly, and I cannot for the life of me think why we would but ourselves at a tactical disadvantage and endanger the lives of our own side for the sake of an outdated ideal.

Ideals are all well and good, but there is a time and place for 'being the better person', and a combat field is not that place.

2) The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Do I really need to start listing in the attacks on our collective soil that could have been prevented with better intelligence?
London bombings ring any bells with anyone? How about the 3000 who perished in 9/11? I couldn't even estimate how many civilians have been murdered by the IRA over the years...

Is anyone seriously going to tell me that if, by changing our interrogation procedures, we could have prevented any of those tragedies that it wouldn't be worth it?

There, that's all your getting. Gimmie my points, a possibly an opponent who's going to show up.

LOL, I will take a similar stance when I mark it that you gave when you wrote it then. Nah, you did good here, but of course it was mostly opinion. 35 points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back