• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WCW Special Matches that you would like to see in the WWE

Ubermensch

Pre-Show Stalwart
Since the WCW has long been gone. I don't think it's admitting defeat on Vince's end to see some of the special matches that WCW had that were very entertaining.

War Games was one I always liked.

Most importantly, the Triple Cage probably tops off as the coolest match I have ever seen. It's definitely on the Main Event PPV scale, and dwarfs the scope of the elimination chamber and the Hell in Cell. To my knowledge there was only one Triple Cage Match with Jarrett, and DDP. But I swore I remembered one earlier during the NWA.

The Tower of Doom with the Horsemen and Dungeon of Doom vs Savage and Hogan was cool as well.

World War 3 was a novel idea, but in my opinion a 60 man battle royal in 3 rings just says we have way too many employees.

THE DOOMSDAY CAGE MATCH :crossbones:

Yeah I know it was pretty cheesy but I think it would be fun to bring back at extreme rules or battleground or something. I don't exactly remember the rules, but Who doesn't like triple deck cage fights?

Lethal lottery tournament.

To me, this tournament always had a special appeal because of all the unlikely pairing that we've seen in each editions and on top of it, it could be used to push someone to a higher level like they've done with ddp when he won the lord of the ring title in 96 which was his first major win in wcw.

Imagine the scene if bryan had to tag with orton and have to face the team of cm punk and cena in the first round or bray wyatt having to tag with reign and face ambrose and rollins.

The concept of the lethal lottery would be perfect to inject new life to the survivor series ppv which lets be honest, lost a lot of its prestige over the last few years.

Once Vince is no longer in charge of the match making for PPV's I could see all the WCW gimmick matches coming back, Vince just hates to do any match his didn't create him self, its a wonder the GAB event ever come back under WWE.

But I'd like War Games with the 2 rings, the Triple Cage could be good, and the 3 ring 60 man battle royal.

Without a doubt, War Games. What an epic match concept. I think they could do it at Survivor Series, too. It would make perfect sense.

I doubt you'd ever see a War Games match again for the simple fact that you need 2 rings to do it in... and adding that second ring ends up taking away the number of premium floor seats you're able to sell.

I'm sure some will laugh at that idea, but that is prime real estate that they'd be giving up, and they'd have to have some real assurances that the PPV buys would spike enough because of the War Games match to compensate.

Plus, while the actual War Games match is awesome, you have to keep in mind the asthetics of the rest of the card too. It just doesn't look that great when all the other matches on the card are fought beside an empty ring.

Considering they still do Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber in the no blood WWE of today, I don't think it's the no blood policy that's holding that match back. I think it's simply that there's more of a chance of them losing money on the match than making money.

Troll.

If the WWE really does have a no blood policy that is tarded. Not only does it further make wrestling look fake, but it's ironic your company edged out over WCW during the Attitude era and bloody matches played a big part of it.

It's like the Inferno match a few months ago. I remember when that first happened Kane got lit on fire, now they say it's to keep other wrestlers from interfering.

Everyone gets that it's fake, but the point is to suspend reality long enough to make it interesting. Like a movie.

Concerning how two rings would subtract prime seating, I do appreciate how WCW would routinely give these things up for the sake of entertainment. Perhaps this was Ted's money that allowed this creativity to flourish or just plain risk taking, the WCW was really AWESOME! In conclusion, The Miz is a modern day Jeff Jarrett.

I would wager that the seats that got removed because of the 2 rings or 3 for war games were marginal compared to the increase Ppv buy rates.

@jameyt2003 - Good point, but a quick rebuttal to that is simply when was the last time you watched a new WCW event?

@Ubermensch - I wouldn't take that wager if I was you. Here's a list of the buy rates for WCW PPV's that featured War Games

WrestleWar 1991 - 1.2
WrestleWar 1992 - 0.61
Fall Brawl 1993 - 0.46
Fall Brawl 1994 - 0.53
Fall Brawl 1995 - 0.48
Fall Brawl 1996 - 0.65
Fall Brawl 1997 - 0.53

In contrast, here's their Halloween Havoc buyrates for each of those years... and this was hardly the top PPV any year:

1991 - 0.8
1992 - 0.9
1993 - 0.5
1994 - 0.97
1995 - 0.6
1996 - 0.7
1997 - 1.1

Except for ONE year, War Games failed to spike the buy rates at all. It drew worse than one of their second rate PPV's, a couple of times drawing half of what that second rate PPV drew.

Now take into account the price of a ringside seat. AT WWE Elimination Chamber 2014 (probably a good comparable since War Games would get it's own themed PPV like that match, even though it's the worst possible way to book such a match), floor seats on the left and right corners of the ring (announce table side), are running $544 a piece. How many seats do you think you're losing with the second ring? Considering extra floor space, let's call it an even 100. That's $54,400. Now let's look at the price for a PPV buy. $44.95. You are going to have to sell 1,210 EXTRA PPV buys just to break even, and of course substantially more to make it worthwhile. That might not sound like a lot, but when 2nd rate PPV's that have their own gimmicks are barely getting 100,000 domestic buys, that extra 1200 all of the sudden becomes substantial.

Considering WWE themselves haven't been doing great on the buyrate front, and the innovators of the WarGames match couldn't draw with it, it's really hard to argue that WarGames today would spike the buy rates. Especially when the WWE already runs similar matches like Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber, and has an entire audience that isn't even educated on this match whatsoever.

If the WWE ever does one (and believe it or not, I would like to see one), it has to be booked properly to succeed, and it should be done as a one off to make it special. The first thing they need, is a dominant heel faction like the Horsemen were (that's what sold the match initially). Then you need the good guys believably banding together to stop that threat to further sell the match. Finally they need to go where WCW was afraid to go. The heel faction has to be splintered as a result of the beating they take in the match, so that the match builds the necessary aura of being a game changer. WCW first lost it with War Games when they would take it around the horn to every town they ran... then in later years when it was just a thrown together match with a group of faces fighting a group of heels, with little heat being involved. Even near the end, when it got to NWO versus WCW or NWO versus the Horsemen, the match never came across as the game changer that it was. It just came across as it's War Games time, so we have to have a match.

That last line there, considering that's exactly what WWE's done with HIAC and the EC, should be reason enough for anyone who liked the War Games match to not want to see it come back. It's a great match, and the type of match that should only be done if it's done right.

@jameyt2003 - Good point, but a quick rebuttal to that is simply when was the last time you watched a new WCW event?

@Ubermensch - I wouldn't take that wager if I was you. Here's a list of the buy rates for WCW PPV's that featured War Games

WrestleWar 1991 - 1.2
WrestleWar 1992 - 0.61
Fall Brawl 1993 - 0.46
Fall Brawl 1994 - 0.53
Fall Brawl 1995 - 0.48
Fall Brawl 1996 - 0.65
Fall Brawl 1997 - 0.53

In contrast, here's their Halloween Havoc buyrates for each of those years... and this was hardly the top PPV any year:

1991 - 0.8
1992 - 0.9
1993 - 0.5
1994 - 0.97
1995 - 0.6
1996 - 0.7
1997 - 1.1

Except for ONE year, War Games failed to spike the buy rates at all. It drew worse than one of their second rate PPV's, a couple of times drawing half of what that second rate PPV drew.
Interesting numbers, but what you fail to take into account is how god awful some of those years were all around for WCW in the first place. Short of Half the WWE roster showing up on the go home show prior to the ppv would have spiked buyrates considering how objectively bad most of those cards were.
Now take into account the price of a ringside seat. AT WWE Elimination Chamber 2014 (probably a good comparable since War Games would get it's own themed PPV like that match, even though it's the worst possible way to book such a match), floor seats on the left and right corners of the ring (announce table side), are running $544 a piece. How many seats do you think you're losing with the second ring? Considering extra floor space, let's call it an even 100. That's $54,400. Now let's look at the price for a PPV buy. $44.95. You are going to have to sell 1,210 EXTRA PPV buys just to break even, and of course substantially more to make it worthwhile. That might not sound like a lot, but when 2nd rate PPV's that have their own gimmicks are barely getting 100,000 domestic buys, that extra 1200 all of the sudden becomes substantial.
544$? where did you pull this number from? Maybe for one of the big four, most likely for Mania. I have a friend who went to a couple of shows and he paid less then 250$ a ticket for ringside behind the announcers. So wheres the extra 300$ coming from for a ticket that puts you at an awkward seat where you can't see 2 sides of the ring floor?
Considering WWE themselves haven't been doing great on the buyrate front, and the innovators of the WarGames match couldn't draw with it, it's really hard to argue that WarGames today would spike the buy rates. Especially when the WWE already runs similar matches like Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber, and has an entire audience that isn't even educated on this match whatsoever.

If the WWE ever does one (and believe it or not, I would like to see one), it has to be booked properly to succeed, and it should be done as a one off to make it special. The first thing they need, is a dominant heel faction like the Horsemen were (that's what sold the match initially). Then you need the good guys believably banding together to stop that threat to further sell the match. Finally they need to go where WCW was afraid to go. The heel faction has to be splintered as a result of the beating they take in the match, so that the match builds the necessary aura of being a game changer. WCW first lost it with War Games when they would take it around the horn to every town they ran... then in later years when it was just a thrown together match with a group of faces fighting a group of heels, with little heat being involved. Even near the end, when it got to NWO versus WCW or NWO versus the Horsemen, the match never came across as the game changer that it was. It just came across as it's War Games time, so we have to have a match.

That last line there, considering that's exactly what WWE's done with HIAC and the EC, should be reason enough for anyone who liked the War Games match to not want to see it come back. It's a great match, and the type of match that should only be done if it's done right.

This is a good point. Having it as a one of, or have it alternate years with either HitC or Elimination Chamber would be the way they would have to do it. They'd have to be able to weave together a lot of people's storylines which is something they've had problems with since the downfall of wcw. You'd have to go back to the originations of Survivor Series to find the last time they were really able to pull this kind of multi-story combination to work well. And SS has been going downhill since the late 90's and is only a shell of itself ever since they started focusing on individual matches instead of the Survivor Series style matches. Even the few SS matches we have e had have been along the lines of what happened with WCW and WarGames. The fact is the writers got lazy and stopped putting in the effort to really tie things together the way they used to.

Wrestlers used to be involved in multiple feuds at any given time, now they are only placed in one feud until a PPV fight ends it and another feud starts for the next PPV. Sometimes they catch on with the audience for a while and you might have 2 or three PPV event periods of the same feud with minor obstacles thrown between the main 2 guys. And even those are brushed off with little to no consequence for the 2 who were feuding while the others they might have matched up against just seem to fade out ignored by them. it's one of the main drawbacks in today's wrestling, the constant regurgitation of the same feuds because the writing staff isn't able to maintain multiple angles for the same characters at the same time. This is a side effect of getting TV/Movie writers to be among the creative staff of your product. They are all trained to get a character from point a to b to c and then back to a. In wrestling you need to be able to go from a to b to n to f to g to c and possible back to a again. And the top guys in creative have lost sight of that (Vince!!!) and listened to TV production and stylist

WrestleWar 1991 - 1.2
WrestleWar 1992 - 0.61
Fall Brawl 1993 - 0.46
Fall Brawl 1994 - 0.53
Fall Brawl 1995 - 0.48
Fall Brawl 1996 - 0.65
Fall Brawl 1997 - 0.53

1991 - 0.8
1992 - 0.9
1993 - 0.5
1994 - 0.97
1995 - 0.6
1996 - 0.7
1997 - 1.1

Interesting numbers, but what you fail to take into account is how god awful some of those years were all around for WCW in the first place. Short of Half the WWE roster showing up on the go home show prior to the ppv would have spiked buyrates considering how objectively bad most of those cards were.
544$? where did you pull this number from? Maybe for one of the big four, most likely for Mania. I have a friend who went to a couple of shows and he paid less then 250$ a ticket for ringside behind the announcers. So wheres the extra 300$ coming from for a ticket that puts you at an awkward seat where you can't see 2 sides of the ring floor?

This is a good point. Having it as a one of, or have it alternate years with either HitC or Elimination Chamber would be the way they would have to do it. They'd have to be able to weave together a lot of people's storylines which is something they've had problems with since the downfall of wcw. You'd have to go back to the originations of Survivor Series to find the last time they were really able to pull this kind of multi-story combination to work well. And SS has been going downhill since the late 90's and is only a shell of itself ever since they started focusing on individual matches instead of the Survivor Series style matches. Even the few SS matches we have e had have been along the lines of what happened with WCW and WarGames. The fact is the writers got lazy and stopped putting in the effort to really tie things together the way they used to.

Wrestlers used to be involved in multiple feuds at any given time, now they are only placed in one feud until a PPV fight ends it and another feud starts for the next PPV. Sometimes they catch on with the audience for a while and you might have 2 or three PPV event periods of the same feud with minor obstacles thrown between the main 2 guys. And even those are brushed off with little to no consequence for the 2 who were feuding while the others they might have matched up against just seem to fade out ignored by them. it's one of the main drawbacks in today's wrestling, the constant regurgitation of the same feuds because the writing staff isn't able to maintain multiple angles for the same characters at the same time. This is a side effect of getting TV/Movie writers to be among the creative staff of your product. They are all trained to get a character from point a to b to c and then back to a. In wrestling you need to be able to go from a to b to n to f to g to c and possible back to a again. And the top guys in creative have lost sight of that (Vince!!!) and listened to TV production and staff who don't understand or care about what wrestling fans want, only what will make good tv, but because of the inherant conflict between the two, has lead to a failing product that has lost a lot of the interest of their fan base.
If Raw was a regular tv show, they would long ago have reached the point where the quirky but loveable couple had a child in order to try and boost sagging ratings, but when this failed would announce that the show was ending.

Understand that in a couple of those years WCW was doing less than stellar business, but you're failing to take into account a couple of things yourself.

A) These also included some of WCW's most profitable years, when the NWO was at its peak and WCW was the #1 game in town. Yet they still drew about the same, or slightly better for War Games, than they did in the lean years.

B) Those numbers were contrasted with the following PPV (Halloween Havoc) for every year. Even if we can just simply discount buyrates because WCW was a shit show, it shows that during that shit show, the people who would still go out and buy WCW PPV's not only weren't buying them because of the War Games match, but were more likely to buy a PPV that DIDN'T include War Games.

http://www.bigstub.com/wwe-elimination-chamber-tickets.aspx?event_id=2169153

Not pulling them out of my ass like you think. That's actually what floor seats are running for at this years EC.

Wrestlers used to be involved in multiple feuds at any given time, now they are only placed in one feud until a PPV fight ends it and another feud starts for the next PPV. Sometimes they catch on with the audience for a while and you might have 2 or three PPV event periods of the same feud with minor obstacles thrown between the main 2 guys. And even those are brushed off with little to no consequence for the 2 who were feuding while the others they might have matched up against just seem to fade out ignored by them. it's one of the main drawbacks in today's wrestling, the constant regurgitation of the same feuds because the writing staff isn't able to maintain multiple angles for the same characters at the same time. This is a side effect of getting TV/Movie writers to be among the creative staff of your product. They are all trained to get a character from point a to b to c and then back to a. In wrestling you need to be able to go from a to b to n to f to g to c and possible back to a again. And the top guys in creative have lost sight of that (Vince!!!) and listened to TV production and stylist

Everything you said there is the main reason I DON'T want to see WWE try War Games. It simply wouldn't be booked right, and even if the first one was a success, it would quickly turn into just another theme PPV where they'd do their one War Games match a year because it was time for a War Games match... and they'd throw together 2 teams in a half assed storyline that wouldn't hold any interest.

Plus (and this may just be me personally), but I've always felt that when a wrestling card has the two rings side by side, and the majority of that card is only fought in the one ring, that it just looks like shit. Sure you can come up with a couple cool spots using both rings for the undercard, but the majority is just fought in the one ring and that empty ring right beside is just distracting.

War Games CAN work, and truthfully they can make it work with their current main storyline (The Authority versus Bryan/Punk and friends), but it would only work as an end to that storyline, with the Bryan/Punk team winning in the end, and fracturing the Authority once and for all as a result (preferably with Bryan making Triple H submit, and the rest of the Authority being disgusted by this and leaving him). I just don't see it ever being booked as the game changer it should be, and quickly morphing into something like HIAC today, only worse because instead of making a singles match that has no reason to be in the cell, they'll make a team vs team match that has no reason to exist in the first place.

That's just my personal opinion though. The main reason we haven't seen it in the WWE is because of the money reasons I opened up here with (lose money on the setup, and hasn't proven it can recoup that in buyrates). If this match was the guaranteed money maker that some fans feel it is, you can bet we already would have seen one (Vince may not like using other peoples ideas, but he's used enough of them over the years to show that he's not adverse to them if they'll make him money).

Well you can't argue with the numbers, but I will anyway...

The other figures I would like to see are the world war 3 numbers. If the three ring ppv is significantly lower than Halloween havoc then you have a valid point.

The other thing to consider is the intangible success of war games.

Now I definitely think the 98 war games was a debacle. But take 96, established the NWO. And you also have to see that that 96 and 95 built heat up for the next ppv, being Halloween havoc. Now certainly that isn't concrete. But both PPVs had led to the next match with hogan and savage engaging after the cage went up and the giant and hogan doing the same the year before.

Now that certainly doesn't prove my point about the floor side seat space, and Halloween havoc isn't even their biggest ppv. But like you said, war games establishes a heel faction and has to contribute to the buildup of the next ppv.

Well you can't argue with the numbers, but I will anyway...

The other figures I would like to see are the world war 3 numbers. If the three ring ppv is significantly lower than Halloween havoc then you have a valid point.

The other thing to consider is the intangible success of war games.

Now I definitely think the 98 war games was a debacle. But take 96, established the NWO. And you also have to see that that 96 and 95 built heat up for the next ppv, being Halloween havoc. Now certainly that isn't concrete. But both PPVs had led to the next match with hogan and savage engaging after the cage went up and the giant and hogan doing the same the year before.

Now that certainly doesn't prove my point about the floor side seat space, and Halloween havoc isn't even their biggest ppv. But like you said, war games establishes a heel faction and has to contribute to the buildup of the next ppv.

World War 3

1995 .43
1996 .55
1997 .56
1998 .75

That one never really drew big either. I'll contrast it with Uncensored, which was never a great show, but only had the one ring. It always drew FAR better than WW3.

1995 .96
1996 .70
1997 .89
1998 1.10

Those multi-ring cards just never drew.

Lethal lottery tournament.

To me, this tournament always had a special appeal because of all the unlikely pairing that we've seen in each editions and on top of it, it could be used to push someone to a higher level like they've done with ddp when he won the lord of the ring title in 96 which was his first major win in wcw.

Imagine the scene if bryan had to tag with orton and have to face the team of cm punk and cena in the first round or bray wyatt having to tag with reign and face ambrose and rollins.

The concept of the lethal lottery would be perfect to inject new life to the survivor series ppv which lets be honest, lost a lot of its prestige over the last few years.

That's funny, I just wrote a post about how I think they should turn Survivor Series into WCW's Battle Bowl (same thing as Lethal Lottery).

Have the 4-on-4 Survivor Series matches, but all the survivors end up in the Survivor Series Battle Royal, with the winner going on to face the world champ at SummerSlam.

It would require Survivor Series move to the summer, but considering its lackluster ratings in November, and the fact that they've flirted with dumping the PPV altogether, moving it is a worthwhile experiment.

World War 3

1995 .43
1996 .55
1997 .56
1998 .75

That one never really drew big either. I'll contrast it with Uncensored, which was never a great show, but only had the one ring. It always drew FAR better than WW3.

1995 .96
1996 .70
1997 .89
1998 1.10

Those multi-ring cards just never drew.

I thought Uncensored was the Televised or Free TV ppv they held? If so the buyout rate would be significantly higher. I may be thinking of Clash of the Champions though. By buyout rate I am assuming you mean viewership in this case if it was indeed free tv.

As an aside, I still think the Triple Cage Match trumps everything any of us have ever seen in terms of scale. I think the Triple Cage has been long sense forgot by so many fans that the WWE could pull it out to really boost once it's smaller PPVs. I say this because I don't usually agree with specialty matches at Wrestlemania just because they can lose their luster and there is usually enough heat for Wrestlemania matches that you don't have to add a gimmic.

Does anyone else know if the first and only time the Triple Cage was used was when Jarrett wrestled DDP? I could have sworn the NWA did it at some point.

Triple_cage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back