WCW Should've Pushed~Rey Mysterio Jr. Edition

j.beaner

Occasional Pre-Show
30.jpg

Alright My last thread i got quite a bit of heat on so i figured that i'll go with somebody who has made something of himself. Im not making this thread cause hes big in WWE. Im making this cause he was in WCW for five years. He was very Talented, and Even Upset Kevin Nash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_A-dUTXv3M&feature=related
And heres When WCW Could have capitalized
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrRKh_9EGc

Accomplishments

Asistencia Asesoría y Administración
Mexican National Trios Championship (1 time) – with Octagón and Super Muñeco[146]
Mexican National Welterweight Championship (1 time)[147]
AAA Hall of Fame (Class of 2007)
International Wrestling All-Stars
IWAS Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Konnan[148]
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI ranked him #4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1999[149]
Tijuana, Mexico
Tijuana Hall of Fame (Class of 2006)
World Championship Wrestling[150]
WCW Cruiserweight Championship (5 times)[15]
WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Billy Kidman[42]
WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Billy Kidman (1), Konnan (1), and Juventud Guerrera (1)[25]
World Wrestling Association
WWA Lightweight Championship (3 times)[151]
WWA Tag Team Championship (1 time)[152] – with Rey Misterio
WWA Welterweight Championship (3 times)[153]
World Wrestling Council
WWC World Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[154]
World Wrestling Entertainment[150]
World Heavyweight Championship (2 times, current)[155]
WWE Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[156][157]
WWE Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Edge (1), Rob Van Dam (1), Eddie Guerrero (1), and Batista (1)[158]
WWE Cruiserweight Championship (3 times)[15]
Royal Rumble (2006)[79]
Twenty First Triple Crown Champion
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Flying Wrestler (1995–1997, 2002–2004)
Best Wrestling Maneuver (1995) West Coast Pop
Match of the Year (2002) with Edge vs. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle, WWE No Mercy, October 20
Most Outstanding Wrestler (1996)
Rookie of the Year (1992)
Worst Feud of the Year (2008) with Kane

What did you think of Rey Mysterio Jr. in WCW?
Do you think he was a missed opportunety on WCW's part?

I just posted on your last thread LOL and don't worry it wasn't a hate post. But onto this thread. I am going to go out on a limb and say yes straight up.

He was over with the crowd had one of the best cruiserweight arsenals ever at the time and as you mentioned upset Kevin Nash and was believable. It is obvious from what he achieved in the WWE that he was wasted in WCW. But then agin so was Guerrero and Jericho.

But you could also argue that he was a little to green while he was in WCW, but he turned pro at like 14 so he really wasn't. He was kind of like Evan Bourne now, but Rey had a backup plan if the push failed, that being the Cruiserweight Championship.

WCW pushed Rey Mysterio as best as possible. When you say push, I'm assuming your speaking on becoming a main event/world champion guy in WCW like how he is now in WWE. Lots of people now don't buy him as a viable main event contender let alone world champion in 2010 when wrestling is becoming filled with smaller talents so just imagine Mysterio in the world title picture 10-12 years ago in 1998-2001. It wouldn't work and or it would be looked down upon. WCW did the best they could do with him considering how wrestling was a decade ago. They let him showcase his talent to the world, they moved him up and down the card, tried the underdog thing with him, and even took his mask off. They tried different things with him but making him a main eventer in WCW wouldn't have been believable. WCW did the best they could with him. Hell, if not for Eddie's death and onscreen and real-life relationship and history with Eddie, would Mysterio have even been placed in the position to become world champion? Had Eddie not died, I don't think it would've happened. I think in a way, Eddie's death was luck for Rey and put him in his position but if not for that I don't think the guy would've became world champion in WWE or any company despite his talent.

let me know. i think you had some great points but wcw was screwed up by eric i was a hugh fan of wcw i didnt even watch wwe while wcw was on. but eric screwed it up if you read chris jerichos book he said erec hired basically everyone so wwe couldnt. he had over a 100 wrestlers at a time and a bunch of them barely wreslted. rey had so much talent along with chris and eddy and all wcw wanted to do is keep hulk hogan, randy savage, lex luger and them in the main picture if they would have mixed it up and put newer stars in the main event like rey mysterio i really think wcw would have beat wwe in the long run. i think wcw could have done a hundred times better with the talent they had.

Rey Mysterio Jr in Wcw got too big of push if you ask me. He's the most unbelievable wrestler out there right now. Heck Zach Gowen was more believeable wrestler and he only had 1 leg. Rey is WAY too small to hold the heavyweight title. He's more believeable as a mid carder and yet thats pushing it some times. Him having this supposesly Big Heart angle is so over and done with. Theres no way in Hell he should ever go over someone like Big Show. I mean Rey doesn't have the strength to budge him and yet Big Show isn't the heavyweight champion.

Wouldn't of really benefited anybody. He got a job in the WWE when hey brought it out, The only way it would of helped him is by having another title to his name. It also wouldn't really of helped WCW, Just like in the WWE rey can only last with the title for a little bit before the David vs goliath shit gets stale. Way to many people on WCW that would of been better off getting a push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back