WCW Semi-Final: Triple Cage Match: Hulk Hogan vs. Chris Benoit

Hulk Hogan vs. Chris Benoit

• Hulk Hogan

• Chris Benoit

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region, from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA.

Triple Cage Match: Wiki

triplecage.jpg

A Triple Cage match involves three cages stacked on top of each other, with each cage decreasing in size from the bottom up.

Two variations exist, in one competitors begin in the ring inside the lowest cage and must make their way to the roof of the third cage where an object is suspended, with the winner being the first competitor to obtain the object

So to summarize, the match starts in the bottom, with a hatch at the top of the first cage. A wrestler has to use a ladder to climb into the 2nd cage, which is enclosed. A wrestler will have to find a way to break out of the second cage, to climb it to reach the third cage. The winner will be the first wrestler to retrieve the briefcase hanging above the third cage.

Hulk Hogan
hulkhoganpicture.jpg

vs.

Chris Benoit
benoit.jpg

Didn't Hogan have this match last year? I still maintain that Sting can't walk up a ladder in context of a wrestling match, his kids aren't shanking the ladder when he's painting his shed now are they. And I also maintain that Hulk Hogan wouldn't be able to climb up three flights of cage. Well he could, just not within the 60 minute time limit I'm applying.

The one match where Hogan could possibly lose. In all honesty, this match does not favor Hogan at all, where you have to climb a lot. Benoit is notorious for taking high risks to win, though. He's capable of trying something stupid such as a headbutt off one of the tiers of the cage onto a table to Hogan to incapacitate him. So in all honesty, it's the battle of who can get hurt less in this match and I'll give that edge to Hogan.

Benoit is plenty capable of climbing numerous ladders to get to the top, but he's not capable of keeping himself injury free during the match, which will give Hogan the allotted time to climb the cages and grab the briefcase with Benoit's death certificate in it. Too soon?

I vote Hulkster.

Benoit is more than capable of winning this match. I agree that Benoit does enjoy the high risk moves from time to time and there's a good chance that he'll screw up on at least one during this match. That being said, however, Benoit also has some intelligence and he knows what he has to do. All he has to do is take one of Hogan's legs out of the equation, possibly also his back, and the match is all but over.

I know Hogan isn't very athletic overall, but the guy can climb a ladder. Takes virtually no athletic ability at all to do it. If Benoit locks in the sharpshooter, maybe the figure four, the crossface 3 of 4 times, then the match is over. He has so many different ways he can take Hogan out in this particular match. Just as Bret Hart doesn't have to pin or make Foley submit to win his ladder match, Benoit doesn't have to do either of those to Hogan in this cage match. All he has to do is immobilize him long enough to do what needs to be done. I think Benoit could win it, so I'm giving him my vote.

Benoit all the way. He is smaller, quicker, more agile, and, most importantly, smarter than Hogan. Benoit knows that all he has to do is beat Hogan to the top, not pin him. Like Jack-Hammer said, Benoit knows a variety of submission maneuvers that will somehow make Hogan slower than he already is. Hogan will get a few shots in, but this match is Benoit all the way.

Hulk Hogan all the way. Why? Because in his prime, he was pretty much unstoppable. I don't see how Benoit would be able to keep him down for any significant amount of time in this match. Hogan is just too strong and too powerful. I know Benoit is strong too, but his isn't big enough to match up with Hogan.

As for climbing a ladder, of course Hogan could do it. Seriously, it's not that hard to climb a ladder, I'm sure a 4th grader could do it. The point it, Hogan will be able to keep Benoit down long enough to win, but Benoit won't be able to do the same to Hogan.

Sure Benoit can keep him down long enough. Benoit locks in the sharpshooer, for instance, and if Hogan manages to get to the ropes, big deal. Benoit doesn't have to release the hold. Benoit can keep the hold on for as long as Hogan is unable to escape from it. Same way with any other form of submission hold for that matter. Even if Hogan were to keep escaping from them or powering out of them, the damage is done. Each time Benoit slaps another one on, it's just all that much more taken out of Hogan.

If this were against Hogan, in his prime of course, in a standard match then I'd probably give it to Hogan. He's just so far out of his element and he's against an opponent that can potentially thrive here. Hogan is in a cage match where escape isn't an opition of victory nor is pinfall or submission. He was nearly unstoppable in his prime in a standard match, and that doesn't apply here. It honestly won't surprise me to see Hogan move on in this match, but Benoit could take him here. Not a doubt in my mind.

In my opinion, this is not much more than a standard match. The fact that it's in a cage helps Hogan because Benoit can't run from Hogan, like he might do in a regular match. Furthermore, Hogan wouldn't even think about a ladder until he had taken it to Benoit pretty good and hit a couple of leg drops.

Also, submissions may wear Hulk down, but is he just going to let Benoit lock the holds in? It will be tough for Benoit to gain the advantage in this match, so it will be even tougher to wear the invincilbe Hulk down with submissions.

Gotta go with The Crippler. Hogan's attack was too 1 dimensional, and Benoit would know how to defend against it. He doesn't have to pin Hulk or make him submit, he just needs to keep him down long enough to get to the second cage, and then his speed should take him to the top. I think this is a great style match for Benoit, and he should be able to take it. As has been said already, although he has competed in one of these matches before, Hogan is out of his element with this type of match, wheras Benoit is pretty good at them.

VOTE BENOIT

In my opinion, this is not much more than a standard match. The fact that it's in a cage helps Hogan because Benoit can't run from Hogan, like he might do in a regular match. Furthermore, Hogan wouldn't even think about a ladder until he had taken it to Benoit pretty good and hit a couple of leg drops.

Also, submissions may wear Hulk down, but is he just going to let Benoit lock the holds in? It will be tough for Benoit to gain the advantage in this match, so it will be even tougher to wear the invincilbe Hulk down with submissions.

But it isn't a regular match, and Benoit doesn't have to pin Hogan. He just has to keep him down, and Benoit has the moves to do it.

Benoit never "ran away" from anyone, Hogan would be no exception. And no, Hogan wouldn't just "let" Benoit put him in submissions. But, nobody else did either, and there was nobody who could completely protect themself from a Benoit submission attempt. Add to the fact that Hogan is one of the worst mat wrestlers ever, and he wouldn't be able to counter said holds, and Benoit instantly has a huge advantage, a far greater one than Hulk's strength advantage will be in this match.

Gotta go with The Crippler. Hogan's attack was too 1 dimensional, and Benoit would know how to defend against it.

Hogan may have been one dimensional, but it worked. That's why nearly no one beat him in his prime cleanly except for Warrior, and I think you would agree than Warrior and Benoit are completely different wreslters.

He doesn't have to pin Hulk or make him submit, he just needs to keep him down long enough to get to the second cage, and then his speed should take him to the top.

Umm, last time I checked it's harder to keep someone down long enough for you to climb a ladder, which would be at least a minute maybe longer depending on fatigue, than it is to pin them for 3 seconds. Hogan has the power and strength to keep Benoit down, I'm not sure what Benoit would do to Hogan.

I think this is a great style match for Benoit, and he should be able to take it. As has been said already, although he has competed in one of these matches before, Hogan is out of his element with this type of match, wheras Benoit is pretty good at them.

How can you assume that Benoit is good at something he's never done before? Even if it may seem like Benoit should have the advantage, I would argue that it could be negated by Hogan's experience in a similar match.

VOTE BENOIT

Vote Hogan

Hulk Hogan against King Kong Bundy was billed as the most one sided cage match, but then Hogan won it. Now, while Bundy is a million miles away from Benoit, it does show that the unthinkable is true and Hulk Hogan can climb a cage.

To be honest, I can't be bothered to look at this in any more depth except to say that Chris Benoit never really beat anyone of a high stature in his WWE and WCW career, and ended up with a poor title reign in each. Hogan has won lots of matches against literallyall sorts of opponents. As a result, I'm voting Hulk Hogan.

Hulk Hogan against King Kong Bundy was billed as the most one sided cage match, but then Hogan won it. Now, while Bundy is a million miles away from Benoit, it does show that the unthinkable is true and Hulk Hogan can climb a cage.

To be honest, I can't be bothered to look at this in any more depth except to say that Chris Benoit never really beat anyone of a high stature in his WWE and WCW career, and ended up with a poor title reign in each. Hogan has won lots of matches against literallyall sorts of opponents. As a result, I'm voting Hulk Hogan.

We are talking about the same person who made HHH, HBK, and the Rock tap out to win matches. I believe his title reign was one of the five best since 2004 because he performed good matches each and every defense. I'm not looking at who has quality wins against anybody else. I'm looking directly at Hogan and Benoit and I believe Benoit will win this match. Benoit doesn't have to pin Hogan and he takes a lot of high risk moves and I see one of those moves connecting just enough for Benoit to climb the cage. I don't see many moves from Hogan that will keep Benoit down long enough especially the leg drop.

He doesn't have to pin Hogan but he does have to keep him down long enough to climb the ladder to the second cage. Obviously it's harder to keep someone down for the time it takes to climb a ladder than it is to keep them down for 3 seconds to pin them, it's just common sense.

There is no way that Benoit should win this anyway. Hogan is one of the greatest of all time. He's beaten Flair, Sting, Andre, and many others. I'm sure he would be able to beat a career upper midcarder like Benoit without much trouble.

I'd have to vote Benoit on this one.
If it was a match with pinfalls then Hogan would win Defenitly but it isn't.
Hogan also has bad hips and knees so Benoit would have to be knocked out a good while in order for Hogan to make it up to the 3rd cage in time.
Benoit wins this one

This match is simply too big for Benoit. This match is made for superstars, and is perfect for Hogan. Benoit would be the workhorse in this match, but it would all be in vain. Could you really picture Benoit standing in the top cage, victorious? Or, is it Hogan, bleeding, clutching the briefcase?

Vote Hogan.

I remember watching a Triple Cage match on Youtube not that long ago, it had 9 guys in it and the winner was determined by who left the structure with the title in hand, so you really didn't need to climb all the way to the top retrieve the belt, you could just wait for someone esle to do all that work for you then when they climb back down to the first cage you just knock them out take the belt, or in this case briefcase, and walk out the cage do to victory, I was under the impression that was how these types of matches worked, I could be wrong I have only seen the one triple cage match so...yeah

Either way Hogan wins he's just simply better than Benoit in every way, I mean for Christ sake He's Hulk fucking Hogan, the guy is about as close to being a god in wrestling as you can get, and I'm pretty sure he's capable of climbing a couple cages as well, there is nothing Benoit can throw at Hogan in this match that Hogan can't take

Reactions: gd
My vote is Hulk Hogan. He might not have been the most technical sound wrestler ever or the wrestler with a 1000 moves in his arsenal but he had a few moves that always worked and he always won with them. Hulk Hogan might not seem like a guy who can climbs cages but I'm pretty sure he can. If Mick Foley when he was Mankind was able to climb a Hell in a Cell then I don't see why Hulk Hogan wouldn't be able to.

Also factor in the fact that Hulk Hogan was one of if not the Biggest superstars in wrestling. He was the biggest superstar in the World Wrestling Federation and he was the biggest superstar in WCW. Chris Benoit was never as successful or would have never been as successful as Hulk Hogan.

Vote Hogan.

Hogan's one dimensional routine won't work in this setting. Hogan is completely out of his element in matches that can't end in pinfall or submission. In the last round, against the British Bulldog, he got by because of his star power and the fact that his opponent knew as much about submission wrestling as he did.

As to Hogan not "letting" Benoit put a submission on him, Benoit's put submission holds onto wreslters that have been either stronger, more skilled or both than Hulk Hogan. The overly inflated juggernaut that is Hulkamania isn't enough of an argument to simply get him by here. Not in this type of match against such a versatile opponent.

Also, I'm so tired of people just saying Benoit hasn't beaten anybody. He's beaten John Cena, Chris Jericho, RVD, Kurt Angle, the Rock, HBK, Triple H, etc. He made Triple H tap at WM XX, he beat him in an Iron Man match on Raw not long afterward, he made HBK tap at the 2004 Backlash. Benoit has beaten some of the best, so give the guy some credit. Hogan isn't gonna just go in there and dominate him. For Hogan in his prime, a guy like Benoit would've been his worst nightmare.

Hogan's one dimensional routine won't work in this setting. Hogan is completely out of his element in matches that can't end in pinfall or submission. In the last round, against the British Bulldog, he got by because of his star power and the fact that his opponent knew as much about submission wrestling as he did
Hogan is out of his element when he isn't kicking ass. Oh wait, that's exactly what he'd do in this match.
As to Hogan not "letting" Benoit put a submission on him, Benoit's put submission holds onto wreslters that have been either stronger, more skilled or both than Hulk Hogan. The overly inflated juggernaut that is Hulkamania isn't enough of an argument to simply get him by here. Not in this type of match against such a versatile opponent.
This type of match occurs WCW, where Ben would never beat Hogan in such an important match. Hogan is the reason why WCW turned a profit, and that company wouldn't make him lose to a no-charisma workhorse. Also, you don't need to be versatile to get up a few cages. It's not that hard, I swear.
Also, I'm so tired of people just saying Benoit hasn't beaten anybody. He's beaten John Cena, Chris Jericho, RVD, Kurt Angle, the Rock, HBK, Triple H, etc. He made Triple H tap at WM XX, he beat him in an Iron Man match on Raw not long afterward, he made HBK tap at the 2004 Backlash. Benoit has beaten some of the best, so give the guy some credit. Hogan isn't gonna just go in there and dominate him. For Hogan in his prime, a guy like Benoit would've been his worst nightmare.
He hasn't beaten Hogan and he would have never beaten Hogan in his prime. He's intense and has a few wins under his belt, but he can't overcome Hogan and any 'hulk ups' that will undoubtedly ensue. Once again, it doesn't that much to climb a cage, and Hogan will have no problem climbing the cage and taking breaks between climbing sessions to beat the hell out of Benoit.

People seem to have some sort of misconception that Hulk Hogan cannot climb or run. He's a professional athlete; I'm certain he can climb a cage. In his day, Hulk Hogan was in better shape than any other man the WWF. Chris Benoit may be quick in the ring and go up to the top rope in matches, but he isn't facing the fifty-five year old Hogan that beat Shawn Michaels at Summerslam. He's facing a Hogan in his prime, a Hogan that was at that time, the best athlete in wrestling.

And I know I've already said it, but Hogan can climb a darn fence.

While I'm not naive enough to think Hulk Hogan can't climb a fence, or a ladder. I'm also not stupid enough to believe Hulk Hogan is gonna climb two separate cage/ladders in order to get to the top of this structure.

In his prime, Hulk Hogan had difficulty climbing a Steel Cage. Look it up, he might have climbed them - but he took his sweet ass time doing so. And that was just one cage with big blue bars, allowing him to step easily on each rung. This isn't big blue bars. This is solid steel mesh.

Chris Benoit in his prime has climbed many a ladder, and dealt with cages with this type of mesh. He has the advantage is speed, and agility. He also has the knowledge above Hulk Hogan in climbing this type of structure.

Yes, as PYT pointed out.. Hulk Hogan is an athlete.. (because apparently, being a Professional Wrestler - makes you an athlete :rolleyes: Someone explain to him how Earthquake, or Yokozuna would've fared climbing a ladder - you know, being the athlete's they are, as well) regardless.. Hogan isn't some fat ass, and once again I'm not taking credit away by saying he can't climb anything. HE CAN, HE WILL.

One problem.. Benoit's quicker.

Hogan without question is stronger, and undeniably the 'Hulk-Up' bullshit will come into play with this match. Luckily for Chris Benoit, thats only going to advance Hogan to the second Cage.. long enough, for Benoit to catch up, then beat the fuck outta an unknowledgable Hulk Hogan, with weapons.

This is where Benoit's abilities will come into play and over-shadow (yes, over-shadow) Hulk Hogan. Benoit will use his speed, and agility, to scale the final cage to the top, while Hogan will struggle trying to maintain his balance, along with dealing with Benoit kicking and shoving him, in an attempt to push him all the way off the structure in general.

Thus, my vote is going to Chris Benoit. This simply isn't Hogan's style of match, even in his prime. Hulk Hogan might be a ton of great things.. but gimmick heavy and victorious in them, isn't one of them.

While I'm not naive enough to think Hulk Hogan can't climb a fence, or a ladder. I'm also not stupid enough to believe Hulk Hogan is gonna climb two separate cage/ladders in order to get to the top of this structure.
Cause, you know, two ladders is so much harder than one. Oh, and the cages get...you guessed it...smaller.
In his prime, Hulk Hogan had difficulty climbing a Steel Cage. Look it up, he might have climbed them - but he took his sweet ass time doing so. And that was just one cage with big blue bars, allowing him to step easily on each rung. This isn't big blue bars. This is solid steel mesh.
He was able to take his time because he beat down his opponents and it worked. He'd probably just take the ladders anyway. Why do something that's harder if it doesn't actually benefit you?
Chris Benoit in his prime has climbed many a ladder, and dealt with cages with this type of mesh. He has the advantage is speed, and agility. He also has the knowledge above Hulk Hogan in climbing this type of structure.
He can't climb very well if he's laid out on the mat now can he? Hulk would over power Benoit, take him out with the Leg Drop, and take his sweet ass time.
Yes, as PYT pointed out.. Hulk Hogan is an athlete.. (because apparently, being a Professional Wrestler - makes you an athlete :rolleyes: Someone explain to him how Earthquake, or Yokozuna would've fared climbing a ladder - you know, being the athlete's they are, as well) regardless.. Hogan isn't some fat ass, and once again I'm not taking credit away by saying he can't climb anything. HE CAN, HE WILL.
If your job is going out to the ring and putting on physical spectacles, then you are an athlete.
One problem.. Benoit's quicker.
Yes, I see how one advantage can justify a mid-card, no charisma, work horse going over the greatest wrestler of all time.

I'll come back later...got to go to class.

Hogan without question is stronger, and undeniably the 'Hulk-Up' bullshit will come into play with this match. Luckily for Chris Benoit, thats only going to advance Hogan to the second Cage.. long enough, for Benoit to catch up, then beat the fuck outta an unknowledgable Hulk Hogan, with weapons.
What makes you think that Hogan will lose the ability to 'Hulk Up' and his strength by the second cage? Benoit is going to the fuck out of Hogan, what? How often did anyone beat the fuck out of Hulk Hogan in the middle of Hulkamania? Yeah, and Hogan's decades of experience in professional wrestling has made him 'unknowledgable'. That makes sense.
This is where Benoit's abilities will come into play and over-shadow (yes, over-shadow) Hulk Hogan. Benoit will use his speed, and agility, to scale the final cage to the top, while Hogan will struggle trying to maintain his balance, along with dealing with Benoit kicking and shoving him, in an attempt to push him all the way off the structure in general.
Hogan will not have that much difficulty with Benoit. Chris can be as fast as he wants, but when Hogan catches him, it'll all over. As I said before Hogan is going to take his sweet ass time after a slam and leg drop leave Benoit out cold.
Thus, my vote is going to Chris Benoit. This simply isn't Hogan's style of match, even in his prime. Hulk Hogan might be a ton of great things.. but gimmick heavy and victorious in them, isn't one of them.
How does style of match even weigh that heavily on the outcome? You know that Cena beat Edge in Edge's absolute signature match. Hogans will throw Benoit around, which Hulk could do during his prime, and take it home because he is the best that this tournament has to offer.

This is fucking ridiculous, the career nobody is beating the greatest professional wrestler of all time. There is absolutely nothing in Benoits arsenal that would keep Hogan down long enough to win this match. Hogan never lost to mid card to upper mid card wrestlers in his prime, and he sure as hell wouldn't lose to. Hogan with two broken hips, two dislocated knees wouldn't lose this match. People, do the RIGHT thing and vote Hogan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back