WCW Region, Third Round, Steel Cage Match: (3) Triple H vs. (6) Mick Foley

Who wins this match?

• Triple H

• Mick Foley

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the WCW Region. It is a steel cage match. It will be held at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina. Assume one week has passed since the second round match.

120820_time-warner-cable-arena_charlotte_ap_328_605.jpg

Steel Cage Match Rules: The match is contested in a steel cage with no top and can be won by pinfall, submission or escape either through the door or over the top.

triple-h-bio.png

#3. Triple H

Vs.

foley.jpg

#6. Mick Foley

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Could this draw be any worse for Foley? The match that ended his full time career and the match that made him famous when he took flight into a table will end Foley's run here.

HHH is a sadistic bastard and has shown he can deal out a lot of punishment. He's consistently went over Foley in major matches, too. Especially in cage matches where HHH back dropped Foley through the cage roof.

And there's no real home field advantage except for North Carolinians loving cage matches. Either way, HHH should move on here after another valiant effort that has JR wishing Foley would kick out or move, but in the end, JR will say 'That damn HHH. The Game puts away Foley once again! HE HAS A FAMILY, HHH!'

Vote HHH

This is an unfortunate draw for Foley certainly. There's plenty of gimmicks I'd have voted for Foley over HHH personally, also plenty of guys still in this round that I'd have put Foley over in this type of match. But alas it is what it is.

Few people are going to care that when HHH beat Foley, he was on his way out of the company in his last big run, putting The Game over. The point is that he DID beat him and people will remember the matches in which he did so, meaning those matches were highly speculated and memorable. He won in the high pressure situations, when Foley's career was on the line and when he made his comeback as Cactus Jack and both of those matches were hard-hitting, hardcore-as-they-come matches. Foley's speciality.

Career-wise I don't score these two guys that far apart, but when they both met, even if Foley was a bit past his physical prime, HHH got the most of it. He is the bigger name overall as well. Yeah, I have to give this to the game I think.

Foley was HHH's bitch for most of his career. I don't think he's ever struggled as much against anyone as he did against the Game. For all his toughness and adorability, Foley lost gimmick matches a BUNCH too.

A cell might be one of the worst gimmicks, but it doesn't really matter. The only one I could see him giving HHH a match in would be Last Man Standing cos damn, he just doesn't know when to stay down.

I love Mick. This is too much. Kayfabe records, ability in gimmick matches AND career achievements all against him.

This is a STEEL CAGE MATCH not a HIAC MATCH!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Foley defeated HHH in a cage match before?

So this match definitely isn't as cut and dry as some of you are making it out to be. Foley could certainly reach down deep to some of that testicular fortitude that he has and pull this match out.

With that said, it'd be a damn good match, however, Foley is better remembered for all of the ass whippings that he took from guys like HHH and 'Taker. I don't think that this situation would be any different. Foley would put up one hell of a fight, however, in the end, HHH will have won and the game will be over for Foley.

Sure Foley beat HHH in a cage match once, too bad it's irrelevant since it was in 1997 when trips was still snooty. In his prime HHH beat Foley over and over and over and over again. No matter the stipulation here, I don't think theres an argument that can convince me that Foley wins.

Foley's had a great run in the tourney but it comes to an end here.

These two feuded in 1997, really beginning at the 1997 King of the Ring in which Triple H, then in his Hunter Hearst Helmsley persona, beat Foley in the finals. Their feud would culminate at SummerSlam in a steel cage match in which Foley successfully defeated him.

It should be noted, however, that this was during a time well before Triple H became the huge force he was in WWE and a full 2 years before he won the WWF Championship. Triple H's first WWF Championship win came from beating Foley, albeit with Shane McMahon as the special referee. However, it was in January 2000 that Triple H really became "The Game", shortly after beating Big Show to win the WWF Championship for the third time. This is when Triple H became the dominant force and started to hit his overall peak.

Foley against Trips in his prime is a match Foley can't win. In nearly all of these big gimmick matches against top stars, Foley lost. Whether it be Stone Cold, The Rock, Taker, HBK or Triple H; Foley almost always lost when it came down to the crunch. It'll be no different this time. In the early 2000s, Triple H beat Foley in a couple of very high profile no DQ matches. One was, I think, a street fight at the 2000, Royal Rumble for the WWF Championship. The next one came at the No Way Out 2000 show in which Triple H beat Foley at Hell in a Cell for the title.

Triple H wins this after Foley is beaten damn near to death.

Triple H wins.

Foley got here and deservedly so but there probably couldn't have been a worse draw for him in this round. HHH is the guy who beat Foley in 2 high profile gimmick matches, granted they were at the tail end of Foleys career but they happened and that was HHH at his highest point.

I truely believe that had Foley been drawn against someone else we would be seeing Foley move on through to the next round (not with ease but moving on either way). I really really want to see him continue on but I don't have an argument for him going over HHH in this match.

I can see exactly how this ends and it has HHH with his hand raised(bloody and battered) and Foley lying in near unconscious state also bloody and battered on the ground, having giving HHH everything he had and putting them both through hell and back.

I hope someone comes in with a good enough argument to give me reason to vote Foley (or that I could sit here and give one) but it's going to be tough to move enough people over to voting him onto the next round here.

This is a STEEL CAGE MATCH not a HIAC MATCH!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Foley defeated HHH in a cage match before?

Not really, he beat Hunter Hearst Hemlsey. Triple H was far from his prime when that match happened.

A prime Triple H has owned Foley more often that not. I see no reason to think this will be any different.

HHH is superior to Foley in every way imaginable. I don't care what the gimmick was HHH would have beaten Foley in any of his faces as long as HHH was The Game. I know everyone loves Foley (Don't know why but they do). But whether you look at their match ups against each other, their careers, or any stipulation you throw out there HHH is ahead of Mick.

HHH owned Foley in his prime. He "retired" him. Foley beat Hunter in a cage long before Hunter's prime. I can't see anyway that Foley wins this match. Voting HHH, and he should win big.

I'm not sure how this can be close. HHH, in his prime, owned Mick Foley, in his prime.

HHH basically used Mick as a human punching bag. When both men were after the WWF title, Mick had nothing on Hunter. If you prefer Mick, I get that, but don't make a case as to why he would actually win this match. There's nothing to back that up.

Have a nice day, Foley. HHH moves on.

The big time HHH V Foley matches in early 2000 were some of the best gimmick matches of the period, particularly the one at the Royal Rumble. Truth be told though, HHH won their big matches and has pretty much always been on an upward career trajectory. Foley got a run in the sun in the final year of his full time career, but that was nothing like as long and illustrious as what HHH accomplished. Foley is good, HHH is better.

Now let's not be too hasty.

Are we imagining Attitude Era Foley to be his prime? Sure, this may be true in terms of his exposure, popularity, and title reigns, but at this stage in Mick's career some of his most prolific matches were behind him.

I'd ultimately pluck for Triple H in this match because it's Triple fucking H, but in my mind's eye I'm seeing the 2000s HHH facing the Cactus Jack who went toe to toe with Vader in WCW in the early '90s, and pushed him to the edge, and who also fought Terry Funk to within inches of their lives in Japan in '95, combined with the fury of his ECW 'Cane Dewey' promo. That, my friends, is Foley in his prime.

Triple H wins, but Foley is going to take 30 minutes of Hunter's time before he goes down. This is no breeze for the Game.

Triple H and Mick Foley at two wars in gimmick matches at consecutive pay per views in early 2000. Triple H won both. I hate to keep it as simple as that but it really is as simple as that. Triple H moves on after another war with Foley.

In some way this is a déjà vû, isn't it? Triple H has made a career of beating Mick Foley in many brutal ways with many weapons, including the steel cage.

Don't get me wrong, Foley is an amazing performer and would put one hell of a match against Trips, but if "wrestling history" has taugh us something is that Foley, no matter in what gimmick match he is, he simply can't beat Triple H.

Plus HHH in his prime was the top dog in WWE and stayed there for a significative amount of time unlike Foley.

I'm really sorry Mick, but Triple H advances after a bloodbath in this cage match.

Not really, he beat Hunter Hearst Hemlsey. Triple H was far from his prime when that match happened.

A prime Triple H has owned Foley more often that not. I see no reason to think this will be any different.

And everything that you just said is exactly what I said in my post.

Foley wouldn't win because he's better remembered for getting his ass kicked by guys like Trips.

So were you saying I was wrong or what?

People forget an out of his prime Mick Foley winning a cage match at Lockdown 2009.

I personally don't think 2000 was Mick's prime as it was the end of his career but I still think HHH would win in a cage match against Mick. Ah the TNA cage match against a 50 year old Sting at Lockdown 2009 hardly counts as his prime either mate. End of the day HHH wins

My argument is SummerSlam '97.

For those who claim that it holds less water because it was prior to Hunter's full prime, I could make the same argument about their battles in 2000 being after Mick's full prime. If hunter was good enough to beat Mick at King of the Ring, then he obviously wasn't some near rookie who was below Mick's level. Meaning the '97 encounter should stil be considered relevant in this discussion.

The fact exists in history that these two were contemporaries with upwards of fifteen televised one-on-one battles in their careers, many in high-stakes gimmick matches. Triple H was able to defeat Foley at some point in a match featuring every type of gimmick in which they battled... except one. That one gimmick is there only traditional steel cage affair, and it was won by Foley.

Also for shits and giggles- since this is the WCW region I'll throw in that Foley was victorious in his only WCW steel cage match, at Clash of the Champions XXII, in his second match of the night no less.

I personally don't think 2000 was Mick's prime as it was the end of his career but I still think HHH would win in a cage match against Mick. Ah the TNA cage match against a 50 year old Sting at Lockdown 2009 hardly counts as his prime either mate. End of the day HHH wins

I said "out of prime"

2009 was Mick Foley out of his prime and he still won a cage match.

When people say that Foley beat HHH in a cage match, The Game was nowhere near the star he was in the late 90s-early 2000s when he reached main event level status, so its not that relevant here.

Foley very rarely won the big gimmick match in a feud. Whether it was I Quit, Hell In A Cell, Street Fight etc, Foley usually ended up taking a sickening beating and giving the other guy a run for his money but eventually losing. I see nothing changing here.

Triple H in his prime beat Foley in 2 absolutely brutal matches. Again, you could argue that Mick was at the end of his career but he WAS still a top star. So I think that those matches are relevent. This would be a really good match, both men probably would be bleeding from the cage but Triple H would come out on top here.

Winner: HHH

I gave Foley a pity vote just so that he can look a little better in the final results. The match would be a hard fought one and I don't think Foley would go down lightly.

HHH goes over Mick. Foley was a great performer, and all are aware of some of the twisted spots he's done, but his run here has come to a close. HHH pretty much owned Mick once he hit his stride, and I see nothing here that changes the outcome. Foley gives HHH a run for his money, but ultimately it just isn't enough. HHH moves on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back