WCW Region,Sydney Subregion,First Round:(9)Nick Bockwinkel vs.(24)Abdulah the Butcher

Who wins this match?

• Nick Bockwinkel

• Abdullah the Butcher

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Sydney Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Kingdome in Sydney, Australia.

250px-Sydney_Entertinment_Centre.jpg

nick-bockwinkel-02.jpg

#9. Nick Bockwinkel

Vs.

GoShkHvOtAokuwb.jpg

#24. Abdullah the Butcher

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'm going with Bockwinkel on this matchup. A multiple time AWA titleholder when it was a prestigious belt, Bockwinkels' resume is just superior to that of Abdullah. Abby, to me was an attraction, a curiosity known for excessive violence and bloodletting. He was always primarily featured as a monster heel that did all kind of damage to various face midcarders, but invariably he would be stopped by any territorys' champ, or barring that a great equalizing face(ala Andre the Giant). It's not to say that Abdullah wasn't very sucessfull at what he did, becaues he certainly was, but Bockwinkel was a better in ring performer, better on the mic, and could drag a good match out of most opponents. I see this one being, like most butcher matches, a bloodbath with the end result being that Nick hangs in there long enough for Abby to get disqualified for using his infamous fork. Nick goes over here, somewhat worse for wear.

Yup I agree with 8th. Was meant to be the next top star after Verne in AWA. While he doesn't touch Verne's success he was a 4 time champ and a really good wrestler. It's a shame he didn't really tour more or gain any further notoriety but he is very important if not underrated wrestler.

Abdullah is cool and all but he really did make his fame garbage wrestling and losing pints of blood. His forehead tells the whole story really. Maybe in Japan, Maybe if this was the ECW bracket. But this is WCW in Kansas City so Bockwinkel wins.

What is Abdullah the Butcher really famous for? Let's be honest here, it's taking forks to people's heads and splicing them open, it's just bleeding all over the place. He's famous in the same way the Saw franchise is famous, shock factor. He doesn't make to care about context or him as a character or the story, it's just about the next way in which he's going to try to mutilate his opponent. That puts him in the same category as New Jack for me. Yes he may have much more experience and travelling under his belt, but both guys are about the same thing and that isn't wrestling.

Nick Bockwinkel, on the other hand, is famous for being a damn fine wrestler, multiple champion and upstanding guy. He would have enough to pass over quite a few guys in this tournament, but as he's the only wrestler in this tie, it's more of a bye for him. Bockwinkel to advance.

I think this match would be boring as hell. They're just two guys I don't see meshing all that well for various reasons.

I'm going with Bockwinkel for the win over Abdullah because it's not a hardcore match. Most of Abdullah's most memorable career moments came about in one variant hardcore match after another. The man's best known for being hardcore before there was such a term as hardcore.

Outside of that environment, I just don't see Abdullah going over a great technician who dominated held the AWA World Heavyweight Championship for a total of nearly 3,000 days. If this were some sort of no DQ match, then I think Abdullah would have a far, far better chance to move on.

Bockwinkel wins. Nick Bockwinkel would actually drag Abdullah to a pretty decent match. I feel that if Bockwinkel would have spent some time in the NWA or the WWE he would have been more of a household name. The guy was really really good and a traveling show like Abdullah would not have a chance against this guy.

I'm going with Bockwinkel on this matchup. A multiple time AWA titleholder when it was a prestigious belt, Bockwinkels' resume is just superior to that of Abdullah. Abby, to me was an attraction, a curiosity known for excessive violence and bloodletting. He was always primarily featured as a monster heel that did all kind of damage to various face midcarders, but invariably he would be stopped by any territorys' champ, or barring that a great equalizing face(ala Andre the Giant). It's not to say that Abdullah wasn't very sucessfull at what he did, becaues he certainly was, but Bockwinkel was a better in ring performer, better on the mic, and could drag a good match out of most opponents. I see this one being, like most butcher matches, a bloodbath with the end result being that Nick hangs in there long enough for Abby to get disqualified for using his infamous fork. Nick goes over here, somewhat worse for wear.

[/thread]

There's nothing more to add, that's the lot. This entirely sums up Abdullah - he'd certainly be booked to participate in the tournament, but failing some easy draw in ECW he will rarely be getting out of round 1.

Not sure what to make of the match - I sorta think it would be decent. Bockwinkel is really great. He doesn't have the sort of career that holds up against the Thesz/Sammartino/Rogers/Races of this tournament, but he's really not far behind and that's more than enough here. And he's just so good at being a heel :)

I never really understood the point in Abdullah the Butcher. He's a side show who did something out of the ordinary, but it never really took him anywhere. Bockwinkel's stock has risen every year in this tournament, and with good reason. He was genuinely an interesting and unique performer, and its probably no coincidence that AWA's downward spiral coincided with him stepping out of the lime light. I can't see any reason not to vote for him here.

I like Nick Bockwinkel a lot. Anybody surprised by that? I didn't get to see a lot of him but what I have seen was very good. Some have made the point that Abdullah is more of a special attraction or sideshow. That's a good point. He's the type of guy that would be brought into this tournament to give a big star a tough fight in the first round. Bockwinkel would out smart the Butcher to get the win.

Okay, hold with my thinking here... I think Nick would win this but the Butcher was a mercenary not necessarily sent into win matches but to mess up his opponents for someone else. As such, I'm gonna throw my vote to Abdullah as I believe the kayfabe theory of this tournament is that close votes = close matches and if Bockwinkel gets 100% of the vote, whoever has paid the money to Abdulah has gotten very poor value for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back