WCW Region, Seattle Subregion, First Round: (8) Verne Gagne vs. (25) Pedro Morales

Discussion in 'WCW Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 18, 2015.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. Verne Gagne

2. Pedro Morales

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Seattle Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8. Verne Gagne

Vs.

[​IMG]

#25. Pedro Morales

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Pedro Morales always seems to get a tough job at these tournaments. Ultimately he wasn't quite up to filling Sammartino's boots, but he should be respected nonetheless. Gagne was huge though. People wrongly look back to history and assume Gagne went out on his own out of selfishness and to make himself the top dog. The reality was he was as big of a draw as Thesz and there could only be one champion, so it made sense for him to be the top dog in a rival endeavour. Regardless, his time on the top worked out well, not so much for Morales, Gagne wins.

3. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

I wish I cared more about this match.

My limited knowledge of either competitor suggests to me that Gagne would win so that's who I'll go with.

4. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Yeah. The reality was that Gagne pretty much got dicked over by promoters and Alliance members who were themselves the selfish ones. Gagne saw a niche in the industry, knew he had the skills to fill it, and he did. Damn well I might add.

I gave Pedro a higher spot on my list this year than I have been because even though he wasn't as popular as Sammartino, and wasn't the ideal replacement, he was far from being shit. He was champion for 3 years. That meant that WWE had to have been happy or at least content with the money he was bringing in, or else they would have replaced him allot sooner. And for that reason I feel he's underrated.

Gagne on the other hand was one of wrestling's top draws during his era, founded a successful promotion that lasted 30 years mostly under his star power, and he trained many future top stars and used the AWA to launch many others. Where would Hogan and the future of the WWE have been without Gagne in the history books?

Has to be Gagne.

5. Kermit

Kermit the Frog

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Mortal Kombat (Sega)

Logic: I'm really reaching for this one. I don't think either guy could operate a controller very well. I imagine a lot of button mashing. Isn't Pedro the father of Carlito? +1 point for that. Isn't he also the father of Los Matadores? -2 points for that. I guess Verne Gagne wins by default.

Winner: Verne Gagne