WCW Region, NJ Subregion, Second Round: (5) Bruno Sammartino vs. (12) Goldberg

Who Wins This Match?

• Bruno Sammartino

• Goldberg

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a Second round match in the WCW Region, East Rutherford Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

front.jpg

19.jpg

#5. Bruno Sammartino

Vs.

goldberg-29.jpg

#12. Goldberg

This match takes place one week following the first round.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Woah.

Man this is a brilliant matchup. Both these men were unbeatable in their respective haydays. Tempted to vote for Bruno as he had a much longer career on the top, drawing big money and had way longer matches with tough wrestlers.

You know what, Goldberg it is, for now. He has faced guys like Bruno or even bigger in size. Bruno has, to my knowledge, never faced an absolute freight-train like Goldberg. High impact after high impact, don't sell Goldberg short here. Can beat Bruno in his prime

Sorry to any old school fans here, but I have to go with Goldberg. Granted, Bruno had the longest world title reign of all time, but that was a different era under different circumstances. Goldberg, on the other hand, was an absolute fcking monster. His spear literally made me wince out of fear that he broke his opponent (literally).

Bruno can't beat the Spear/Jackhammer combo. My pick: Goldberg

Right. Someone is going to bring up Goldberg's streak. Big fucking deal. Sammartino has the longest world title reign not just in WWF, but of anyone anywhere in the history of wrestling. Even if you say that's a product of his era, you're wrong, because he out held the likes of Thesz, Bockwinkel, Gagne et al. Sammartino, at a time when wrestlers wrestled every day would unquestionably have a winning streak that made Goldberg's look like a pile of arse.

Goldberg wouldn't be able to use his power efficiently against a big guy like Sammartino as Sammartino could match him in that department, but Sammartino would be able to use his mat skills. It should be born in mind that the best mat wrestler Goldberg faced, Bret Hart, beat him in every single singles match they ever had against each other. Sammartino was a better mat wrestler than Bret Hart, and would be able to win in a similar fashion, with the added benefit of being able to do power moves where necessary.

I really don't like Bruno Sammartino, actually I fucking can't stand the man; but even I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that he has a shot of losing here.

Bruno was his generation's Hulk Hogan. Even today he is listed as one of the highest drawing and most popular superstars of all time. Goldberg is just another irrelevant flash in the pan with little to no legacy on the industry. Sammertino was a better worker both legit and kayfabe; and has a tremendous stylistic advantage.

Goldberg was all about the squash matches, and would become increasingly vulnerable the longer a match progressed. Sammartino was one of the most resilient and best conditioned performers in WWE history and would easily outlast Goldberg's opening flurry. In addition, as Tasty points out, Goldberg's biggest weakness was against technicians; and I think we can all agree that Bruno could wrestle rings around Goldberg.

Bruno wrestled guys bigger and heavier than Goldberg on a regular basis. If he can dismantle the six foot six Mormon Giant Don Leo Jonathan (think a more athletic version of Vader) then the argument that Bill Goldberg would simply overpower him is ludicrous.

Add to that the fact that Goldberg was pretty shit and that Bruno was one of the top guys in WWE history, this one shouldn't be too hard. Sammartino was better in real life, better in kayfabe, more experienced, more popular, a better draw, a bigger deal and is fighting in his own backyard. This match is taking place in the spot where Sammartino first won the World Heavyweight Championship, and also the place he chose for his last match.

It may be WCW, but we're in Bruno country; and he goes over here.

I classic case of the difficulty in comparing long separated eras. Two men. One with the longest world title reign ever, another with a winning Streak as meaningful to the average wrestling fan as the other, as a product of when we happen to exist in time.

As far as Goldberg's poor working, I view that almost as a benefit to him. It's what made him infamously dangerous to wrestle and legitimately concussed and effectively ended the career of another great technical wrestler in Bret Hart. You can say it'd be easy for him to fall into a simple thinking wrestler pitfall like running shoulder first into the turnbuckle. I'd argue that it's just as easy and likely he'll connect with a Spear or some other lethal strike sooner or later, he had enough of them in his arsenal. One thing we can probably establish, the longer the match goes on, it certainly favors Bruno. Just as was proven when he faced off against DDP, Goldberg would slow up significantly after the 10 minute mark and if Bruno could hold off until then he'd probably get the victory.

But coming back to the issue, in the day nobody was booked like Goldberg was, nobody looked like Goldberg and nobody had the unnatural scary strength that he posessed:

[YOUTUBE]Qrsj2RpdVx0[/YOUTUBE]

So what if he just no-sold a chokeslam from a 7 foot man, that's the way he was booked and it's unlike anything that existed 40 years previous. Even guys like Andre who played to their natural proportions weren't booked as dominantly as Goldberg was. In fact, Goldberg was never ever booked as anything less than the absolute man. Even on his way out, the WWE chose to make him look like the grander of two behemoths by defeating a guy similarly as dominant but physically even bigger.

I am desperately trying to contextualize things here, but nobody has ever been booked to be the guy Goldberg was. Big Show had countless foils, Andre couldn't best Hogan and many others, even Lesnar had The Undertaker. There's was nobody Goldberg feuded with where it looked anything otherwise than that in a clean fight he would be the favourite. Considering the competition of the generation in which Goldberg existed, Hogan, The Rock, Sting, Big Show, HHH, Lesnar, I'm going to have to extrapolate, go against the bigger milestone i wrestling history and go with the guy with a five year career, but was more dominant than any other.

We have someone who held the world title for eleven years with only two reigns against a flash in the pan whose prime lasted maybe two years. I'll take the former. No way is Goldberg going to storm the ring in one of his typical thirty second squashes against Bruno. The longer the match goes the more it favors Bruno and Bruno is not going down early. Even if you do like the squash Bruno won his first title in under a minute so maybe he'll beat Goldberg at his own game.

I know Bruno's a legend but he was one boring motherfucker. Boring matches, boring promos, just flat out boring. I know it was a different era but it still doesn't change the fact that his matches and promos will bore the shit out of you. With that said I would still vote for Bruno if I thought he would get a kayfabe victory but against Goldberg that wouldn't happen. Goldberg was a dominant force and the guy did not lose clean. He has beaten some of the biggest, most dominant, and best names this business has ever seen including Hogan, Rock, Lesnar, Triple H, Sting, etc.. Not only did he beat those guys, but he often did it in dominating fashion.

The only time Goldberg lost was when there was interference. Nash couldn't beat him clean, Triple H couldn't beat him clean, Bret Hart could never beat him clean. Bruno is a face meaning there would be no underhanded tactics and there would be no interference. To top it all off, this is in the WCW region where Goldberg became a megastar. Goldberg wins.

WCW match in a WWE territory. Who cares? Goldberg was a flash in the pan who had a great two year run in the biz.

Sammartino had a good 20 YEAR run in the industry, headlining show after show and drawing houses that were as big as the Georgia Dome on a regular basis. Goldberg never headlined Turner Field and packed it out. Sammartino did. Against Larry Zbyskyo, someone who isn't exactly a household name.

Bruno is also as strong and smarter in the ring than Goldberg, and Bill hasn't faced someone who was as cagey in the ring as Bruno.

I voted for Goldberg on accident, but I really should have voted for Sammartino. I'd rank him as being even stronger than Goldberg. Jackhammering the "550" pound [more like 450] Giant is great, but it doesn't match up to Sammartino slamming the near 650 pound Haystacks Calhoun [the only man that did.]

Cardio wise the two are probably the same, but Goldberg wasn't as technically precise, and with his power neutralized probably wouldn't be able to cope with Sammartino's ground and pound offense. I picture Ted Arcidi but with talent.

Great matchup. Great. Great. Great.

I'll go with the unpopular choice and take Goldberg. Very aware of his shortcomings. Also very aware of the intensity he brings that is hard to articulate, simply had the "it" factor that few do. Sammartino absolutely had a better body of work and could match Goldberg for power, but I just don't see Goldberg being going down this early. I know it's not the greatest argument in the world but hey it's my opinion.

Fear the spear. Vote Goldberg

Goldberg was damn near unbeatable in WCW. But this is Jersey.

Jesus its tough.

I'm not jumping the gun like many here, calling Goldberg 'a flash in the pan', I think he had good matches with Raven, Hogan and Sting. Some more, they escape me at the moment.
Can't blame him for being pushed the way he was. And he was damn good for what was asked from him. He was someone who got good leg extension, could switch gears quick and was freaky strong.

And then there is Bruno the legend.

Still not sure.

As far as Goldberg's poor working, I view that almost as a benefit to him. It's what made him infamously dangerous to wrestle and legitimately concussed and effectively ended the career of another great technical wrestler in Bret Hart.

Maybe I'm being a bit anal, but I don't find that to be very fucking funny and I don't think it's very cool to use something like that as a part of an argument in favor of someone. Bret Hart is a better man than I as he's forgiven Goldberg for what happened, calling it an accident. I'll never forgive that motherfucker. This wasn't some wrestling storyline, and I don't think that him being so careless and such a liability in the ring that he prematurely ended one of the greatest careers in modern history, ruining a guy that had plenty of good years left in him is anything to try and shine a favorable light on. I don't know what would even possess someone to make that argument in his favor. He was a hazard and a liability in the ring who cared so little about the business and the men he worked with in it, that he didn't even bother learning the craft well enough NOT to be a hazard and a liability, which was a big slap in the face to all those guys who laid down for him and made him look good. God bless William Regal for his honorable actions as it pertains to Goldberg.

You can say it'd be easy for him to fall into a simple thinking wrestler pitfall like running shoulder first into the turnbuckle. I'd argue that it's just as easy and likely he'll connect with a Spear or some other lethal strike sooner or later, he had enough of them in his arsenal.

Yeah that's true, he wouldn't give one fuck about the guy in the ring with him, he'd just blindside him with whatever he felt like and who knows, maybe end their career or something because he's such a shitty wrestler with no timing, and no concern for protecting his man.

But coming back to the issue, in the day nobody was booked like Goldberg was, nobody looked like Goldberg and nobody had the unnatural scary strength that he posessed:

Not true by a long shot and I'll get to specifics as you go on about this later on as well.

So what if he just no-sold a chokeslam from a 7 foot man, that's the way he was booked and it's unlike anything that existed 40 years previous. Even guys like Andre who played to their natural proportions weren't booked as dominantly as Goldberg was. In fact, Goldberg was never ever booked as anything less than the absolute man. Even on his way out, the WWE chose to make him look like the grander of two behemoths by defeating a guy similarly as dominant but physically even bigger.

That's the only thing you COULD do with Goldberg, he wasn't good for anything else. He couldn't wrestle a solid match to save his life, and got away with it not only because of the gimmick, but because he was always in the ring with more talented individuals who could make him look like a world beater. BTW, the only reason he went over Lesnar was because of the bad terms on which Lesnar was leaving. Goldberg was leaving as well, but I think his contract was simply expiring and he didn't resign.

I am desperately trying to contextualize things here, but nobody has ever been booked to be the guy Goldberg was. Big Show had countless foils, Andre couldn't best Hogan and many others, even Lesnar had The Undertaker. There's was nobody Goldberg feuded with where it looked anything otherwise than that in a clean fight he would be the favourite. Considering the competition of the generation in which Goldberg existed, Hogan, The Rock, Sting, Big Show, HHH, Lesnar, I'm going to have to extrapolate, go against the bigger milestone i wrestling history and go with the guy with a five year career, but was more dominant than any other.

Remember when I said you were off by a long shot and I'd get back to it? That time is now. What you are forgetting here is The Ultimate Warrior, which is effectively who Goldberg was in his time, Ultimate Warrior Lite. He was booked quite similarly but was never in that league. Lesnar, also beat Undertaker in every match they had and was every bit as dominant as Goldberg, probably more dominant considering the resume he amassed against better competition. I'll refer back to both Warrior and Lesnar for possessing every bit as much or more "scary unnatural strength" as well. You could throw Batista in that mix if you want probably, as well as Lex Luger, Ahmed Johnson who was ridiculously powerful in his day, and of course Bruno Sammartino. Goldberg was SHIT. Sure, he was popular for a VERY SHORT time and he had his little streak which was horribly embellished and mostly fabricated, but for one there is the Bret Hart tragedy which blacklists him in my book from every being considered anything more than a careless bastard, he was absolute shit in the ring, offered nothing on the mic, everyone had to work for HIM, he never sold a damn thing regardless of his character or booking when he should have, he never cared about the business, and he fucking ruined Bret Hart. Nothing will ever make up for that, and nothing he did can ever be more significant in his career or sum up his career like that moment right there.

Bruno would win out in any other ring, but to me, Goldberg goes over in a WCW ring. Its' true that Goldberg's reign was nothing compared to Bruno's 11 years of dominance, but Goldberg at the top beat *everyone* in WCW, week after week. Bruno had back-and-forth matches where he won but struggled. Goldberg never really struggled.

Bruno deserves the win, but I'm voting Goldberg

The right kind of guy to take on the Goldberg Freight Train. Bruno could match Goldberg's strength, probably exceed it. He couldn't match his explosiveness, but he won't need to. He can more effectively mat wrestle, and we've seen that give Goldberg fits. Once Goldberg is off his feet, he's in trouble. Give me the long term dominant "steak" of Bruno over the short term, high flash "sizzle" of Goldberg.

Vote Bruno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back