WCW Region, NJ Subregion, Second Round: (4) Lou Thesz vs. (13) Diamond Dallas Page

Who Wins This Match?

• Lou Thesz

• Diamond Dallas Page

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a Second round match in the WCW Region, East Rutherford Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

front.jpg

200px-Lou_Thesz.jpg

#4. Lou Thesz

Vs.

600full-diamond-dallas-page.jpg

#13. Diamond Dallas Page

This match takes place one week following the first round.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Why Lou Thesz Goes Over DDP

Lou Thesz was better than DDP.

That is all. He was a bigger draw, a bigger star, a bigger deal, a better grappler, wrestler and technician. He was stronger, better conditioned, more resilient, he won more often and he actually mattered to the wrestling industry. DDP is a footnote. There's no contest here.

Thesz. Period.

Page is a guy I liked watching a lot, but when you break it down he has one advantage over Thesz: he had a hot wife. Thesz is just better than Page and al he has to avoid is one move. If he can avoid that, which he can, Page has no chance here and would get taken down and stretched to no end, and with those bad ribs he'd be out very quickly, even in his home company and home state.

I didn't vote DDP in his match against Greg Valentine so you could probably guess how I'm voting here. DDP was a top guy for about two years. They were two significant years but it's not nearly enough to get by a legend like Thesz. Palling around with Karl Malone and Jay Leno didn't give DDP the big match experience he needs to beat one of the all time greats.

I've always hated DDP. I still, to this day, can't figure out how they let this guy in the main event picture. They put this guy over Flair and Savage at WCW. That's when I knew the company was in trouble.

He stands no chance against a legend, Lou Thesz

Thesz. Absolutement. Bigger star, more titles, longer reigns, more popular, better in the ring, if Mark Madden is to believed less of a cunt out of the ring, more lasting influence on the industry. I guess you could say he had a more interesting finisher, but you know what? Scotty Too Hotty has a more interesting finisher than just about every wrestler in history, and I wouldn't be voting him over Thesz, so I shan't be voting DDP either.

Yo its D D P. Using my detective skills I have determined that Thesz is pictured in black and white while DDP is in color. Now noticing that the arena is in color and this is the WCW region I have no choice but to vote for DDP, Grizzly bears be damned.

I may be wrong but I think that DDP did not even go over Hogan in WCW. So even in his prime he was unable to win against the top guy of his company. Never even came close So, he has no chance over a legend like Thesz who was an 18 time World Heavyweight champion and someone who held the NWA title longer than anyone else. Thesz is a legend while DDP was, at best an upper midcarder even in his prime.

The only way I can picture DDP winning here is if Thesz was a noted womanizer. DDP would be more than ready to pimp his wife here. On second thought though, the shooter that Thesz was he would probably have his way with both Page's wife as well as Page in the ring.

Why Lou Thesz Goes Over DDP

Lou Thesz was better than DDP.

That is all. He was a bigger draw, a bigger star, a bigger deal, a better grappler, wrestler and technician. He was stronger, better conditioned, more resilient, he won more often and he actually mattered to the wrestling industry. DDP is a footnote. There's no contest here.

I'll let ol' Gelgarin take the reigns on the wrestling talk here. No need for me to go on about how laughable the thought of DDP even getting a two count on Thesz would be.

DDP is a terrible person who damaged the wrestling business of WCW. He was all about himself and didn't take into account that he was a sucky wrestler who was mostly over because his theme music sounded like Smells Like Teen Spirit. And Kimberly was tasty.

Fact is, DDP is vastly overrated by the IWC and thankfully, this will be no competition as Lou Thesz is the trend setter to modern professional wrestling and made people pass out on a regular basis.

Thesz wins in about 1:36 seconds.

I'm well aware I'm going to take some heat for my vote, but I'm going for DDP. I've always been a huge fan of his, up until he went to WWE, then they ruined him. Some of you may argue he sucked before then, but he was my guy in WCW. I'm a huge fan of the Diamond Cutter and the way he hit different opponents with it. Sure, I fully expect Thesz to dominate this vote, but I need to throw some weight behind DDP, even if it's as skinny as Kimberley.

Gimme Page as well. I can't sit here & act like Thesz isn't more accomplished or a trend setter. But I can say one of favorite scenes was watching DDP fight the NWO by himself week after week. There were few better people to root for than Page, and his effort & progression in the ring lets me know he appreciated the cheers.

DDP for me

I agree that watching him battle nwo week in and week out was great tv, sharpshooter. But I can't justify him over Thesz. I want to. I just can't. Thesz is just too accomplished. too talented to justify putting over DDP.

Vote Thesz

People might not like it and there's no way he's winning so there's nothing to lose, but I'm all for DDP here. No one is going to try and argue that DDP is a better wrestler than Lou Thesz or that he's had the same kind of impact in the business, or any of the other malarkey that comes up. Fact of the matter is though, I have no attachment to Lou Thesz. To me he's another guy in a black and white picture that internet experts tout to no end regardless of how entertaining he actually was, and when all is said and done no matter what the business WAS, it IS all about entertainment.

Now, enter DDP. FAR more entertaining than Lou Thesz any day. From the Diamond Mine all the way to holding WCW Heavyweight gold, DDP was always a very entertaining character whether you loved him or hated him. People may say he sucked, but a guy who sucks as much as people try to say he did, doesn't get the kind of exposure that he did. DDP was a mainstay in WCW who was prominently featured from the early 90's all the way until the last days of WCW. Although he may be a footnote in the history of the business, he was very popular in WCW despite that, and as a result he did have a great deal of success.

Someone mentioned that Lou Thesz put people to sleep back in the day. I'm pretty sure he would still today, but not in the capacity you think. That style of wrestling fell out of favor shortly after his time, and it's waaaay out of favor in our time. He may be able to put wrestlers in a match to sleep, but that doesn't amount to much when the people in the stands are also fast asleep from watching a boring match based mostly around mat wrestling. People figured out years ago that-that didn't sell, didn't entertain, and was part of the reason wrestling met a decline before the 50's when it started to come back. On entertainment value alone I'll take DDP.

Trying to judge people from bygone eras by modern standards is disrespectful, stupid, and an exercise in futility. You can only judge people across eras by comparing them to their own contemporaries and by their importance to history. On that regard, Lou Thesz was THE guy in the industry for close to 20 years and it wasn't even close for most of the time. He drew more money, was more respected, had more success, and was a better worker than DDP.

I enjoyed DDP's somewhat brief run as a top guy, but to put him over Thesz shows a complete lack of understanding of where this business came from and a complete lack of respect.

This would be like saying Barack Obama is a better president than George Washington because the country has more money now.

Vote for Importance. Vote for Dominance. Damn it, Vote for the Better Wrestler. Vote for Thesz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back