WCW Region, Lexington Subregion, First Round: (11) Brock Lesnar vs. (22) Karl Gotch

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Brock Lesnar

• Karl Gotch

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Lexington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky.

Rupp_Arena_2-327x202.jpg

brock_lesnar2.jpg

#11. Brock Lesnar

Vs.

karl_gotch8.jpg

#22. Karl Gotch

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Karl is the lesser of the two Gotch's. That's not to say he's bad, because by no means is he, but he's best known for carrying on his namesake's legacy and training guys rather than anything else. He's a bit like a Stu Hart or a Gory Guerrero in that respect.

He's also one of the few guys here who could probably out-wrestle Lesnar in terms of a mat game. Unfortunately Lesnar is more than a typical mat guy. He also has freaky speed, insane strength and resilience like few others. Simply put, he's a beast.

Lesnar is a destroyer of men. He takes them down whether they're on nostalgia trips, in the prime of their lives, or up and comers. He brutalises folks and Karl Gotch might be take him down and apply a few holds that bother Brock, even do some damage to him, but in the end, Lesnar will F5 him and move onto bigger things.

Brock Lesnar should win this match, but for the right reasons. Not because he's some kayfabe juggernaut that will knock out someone that he shouldn't. If that is your mindset then stick to your guns and vote Hackenschmidt, Frank Gotch, Strangler, and Thesz for the rest of the tournament. Because like Lesnar those guys were nigh unbeatable for long periods of time in kayfabe.

The problem with Lesnar is that he's your typical meathead with little respect for the industry or wrestling culture. When he went to Japan he refused to be slapped in the face by Inoki even though it's a huge honor that even top politicians, pop stars, and international ambassadors line up to receive. He takes massive pay from the WWE to work hardly any dates, and is rarely shown on television. ATM he's a glorified transitional champion.

Karl Gotch wasn't pushed like Lesnar was wasn't nearly as popular, save for Japan. And Lesnar was pretty popular there too, despite his disrespect. Gotch was known as a ripper - meaning he was a hooker that liked to hurt people. He was known for being an asshole who enjoyed hurting people. Which was a huge reason he was not pushed in the States. Promoters could not control him. If this match happened for real it would either be a draw, or Lesnar would piss off Karl with his disrespect, get his wrist broken before getting choked the fuck out. The UFC champion shtick would work against some guys, but not Gotch.

I'm voting Lesnar, but for the right reasons. He was more popular and at least as been consistent. Even thought the match should still be close.

Lesnar is going to take this one due to the massive roll that he is currently on, the fact that he beat the Undertaker at WrestleMania 30, and finally because he has become a massive baby face over the course of the last few months. And when you couple that with the fact that he is one of the most gifted athletes in the history of wrestling... He's not losing this one.

"I learned to hook from Gotch. If I couldn't beat you with my hands, I'd take you on the mat and go south with something you didn't think you could go south with," said Dutch Savage. "In Karl's prime, everyone always talks about how tough Billy Robinson was. When Karl was in his prime, Billy Robinson couldn't even get close to him, couldn't even get close to him. You know who was another great shooter that never got any recognition was Hiro Matsuda." Matsuda's trainer? Karl Gotch.

This match between Lesnar and Gotch has shoot written all over it. But, if Gotch does business (which he did most of the time) Lesnar goes over because Lesnar is a bigger star. Again to be honest, if this denigrates to a proper fight, its 50/50. im pretty sure the ref sees it and calls for the bell at some point.

"I learned to hook from Gotch. If I couldn't beat you with my hands, I'd take you on the mat and go south with something you didn't think you could go south with," said Dutch Savage. "In Karl's prime, everyone always talks about how tough Billy Robinson was. When Karl was in his prime, Billy Robinson couldn't even get close to him, couldn't even get close to him. You know who was another great shooter that never got any recognition was Hiro Matsuda." Matsuda's trainer? Karl Gotch.

This match between Lesnar and Gotch has shoot written all over it. But, if Gotch does business (which he did most of the time) Lesnar goes over because Lesnar is a bigger star. Again to be honest, if this denigrates to a proper fight, its 50/50. im pretty sure the ref sees it and calls for the bell at some point.

There's pretty good odds that this match would become a shoot if it were ever booked. Karl was a dick that was used to getting his way and so is Brock Lesnar. And like Lesnar, Gotch only lost rarely. Most of his matches were draws or DQ's when he did lose. Lesnar's tough, but remember he was not trained as shooter. He was a freestyle wrestler. It's only been recently that he's been trained in submissions and whatnot. In a shoot my money would be on Karl hurting Lesnar pretty badly. Antonio Inoki well past his prime held his own against Lesnar is a shoot exhibition for over an hour. Lesnar in his own words called Inoki "a machine." And Gotch was the man that trained Inoki.

However this is not a shoot. This is a pro wrestling match where the better pro wrestler moves forward, and that's Brock Lesnar. People will probably vote for Lesnar later over someone he shouldn't beat for the same reasons Gotch would probably bounce him out for.

I agree, Lesnar should go forward as the better pro wrestler, but if Lesnar existed back then, in that environment with the attributes he has at the moment, this would be a pretty close fight that could go either way. And I'm imagining an out and out shoot here.

This is professional wrestling, and the fact is that Brock Lesnar is arguably one of the most gifted athletes to ever set foot in a wrestling ring. He is an absolute monster, incredibly strong and in his prime he was very quick. He's skilled in other disciplines, being an NCAA Champion and former UFC Champion, so he can fight for real.

While Gotch is a well known tough guy and shooter, I think Lesnar could handle it due to his background and skills. And if Brock ever got his hands on Gotch he's tear him apart. The Beast Incarnate is almost certain to go far in this tournament, he ain't going out first round.

While Gotch is a well known tough guy and shooter, I think Lesnar could handle it due to his background and skills. And if Brock ever got his hands on Gotch he's tear him apart. The Beast Incarnate is almost certain to go far in this tournament, he ain't going out first round.

This is what I'm talking about. Brock is a tough guy. And he's legit skilled. But half the reason he looks so tough is that it's choreographed for him to look tough. Also the fact that if someone broke script Brock could put them back in line. Problem is that wouldn't work on Karl. Gotch broke script all the time. Promoters didn't trust him. Gotch would probably be the one doing the ripping and tearing, so don't assume Brock would just "have his way" with Gotch like he does with everyone else. VKM knew damn well who Karl Gotch was, and his reputation. And I seriously doubt McMahon would book Lesnar into this match if he knew he couldn't assure Gotch would follow script. Which would definitely not be a guarantee as both men were used to getting what they wanted from promoters.

And Gotch is hardly not accomplished either. He was big in Japan because he closed allot of doors that would have allowed him to be big in America. Despite that he still became the "god of wrestling" to the Japanese because he was still that good anyway.

You do realise that Brock Lesnar has been the shoot fighting champion of the entire world? I don't really understand why anyone is even exploring that avenue, of course he'd win a legit fight. The question is, by how much would he win a kayfabe one. Well, again, he's the bigger name, so he'd win here. I hate Lesnar, but I can't spot an excuse to make him lose this.

You do realise that Brock Lesnar has been the shoot fighting champion of the entire world? I don't really understand why anyone is even exploring that avenue, of course he'd win a legit fight. The question is, by how much would he win a kayfabe one. Well, again, he's the bigger name, so he'd win here. I hate Lesnar, but I can't spot an excuse to make him lose this.

In a shoot? No, I don't think Lesnar could take Karl at all. Karl was not a small man and had enough power to throw Andre the Giant around. From watching Brock in UFC it's safe to suggest that punching and kicking is not his bread and butter. His ground game is. And on the ground I don't see him taking Karl.

But that's another discussion. Maybe for a potential shoot tournament in the future possibly...

As a pro wrestler Brock would and should win. That's what matters. But we'll probably hear the "Brock was UFC champion so he autowins" if he comes up against Hogan or Austin later on.

My only question is what to consider as Lesnar's prime? His debut in 2002 when he ran through all of the big names in WWE? Or 2014-2015 where he has literally been unbeatable? Lesnar beating 'Taker last year at 'Mania almost had him win this tournament last year. However, he's been even more impressive in the run he's had since then.

Lesnar will have another unbelievable run in this year's tournament and its well deserved. Whether you like him or dislike him and whether he respects wrestling or doesn't; Lesnar continues to be one of the most successful performers in professional wrestling.

Vote Lesnar!

It's silly to pretend Brock wouldn't win an actual shoot fight. Hey, Karl Gotch may have been a great matt wrestler for his time but the ability of athletes in similar sports improves gradually over time. For Lesnar to have been UFC champion in this modern era means he's sufficiently better than Gotch could ever comprehend or account for.

Similarly, having a run the like that Brock Lesnar is currently having in wrestling means significantly more than it did when the time of long undefeated runs was commonplace. Reason being, business is just more competitive. To have the run that Lesnar is currently on in 2015 trumps a lot of accomplishments which would seem like they hold up in comparison.

If Gotch tried anything funny with Brock in the ring, he'd be walking funny for a while afterwards, if he was allowed to walk again that is.

How Bork ended up as an 11 seed I have NO idea. I was expecting a 4, a 5, or maybe even a 3 with how amazing the second half of his career has been.

It's Bork Lazer, the guy who beat The Streak, is a multiple time world champ, killed Hulkamania and then wiped the blood on his chest, etc vs the second most famous Gotch.

Vote Bork. For America.

In a shoot? No, I don't think Lesnar could take Karl at all. Karl was not a small man and had enough power to throw Andre the Giant around. From watching Brock in UFC it's safe to suggest that punching and kicking is not his bread and butter. His ground game is. And on the ground I don't see him taking Karl.

But that's another discussion. Maybe for a potential shoot tournament in the future possibly...

As a pro wrestler Brock would and should win. That's what matters. But we'll probably hear the "Brock was UFC champion so he autowins" if he comes up against Hogan or Austin later on.

Yeah, Karl was a legit shooter but he never had any real longevity on top or in any one place for very long.....mostly because he'd alienate the promoters by screwing up the booked finishes to prove he was legitimately better than his opponents. Going into business for yourself over ego was a great way to run out of places to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back