WCW Region, Houston Region, First Round: (11) CM Punk vs. (22) Pedro Morales

Who Wins This Match?

• CM Punk

• Pedro Morales

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Houston Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW rules. It will be held at the Toyota Center, Houston, Texas

021_toyota_center.jpg

CMPunkPepsi.jpg

#11. CM Punk

Vs.

1410812ce461f302ead6faf176762bd8.jpg

#22. Pedro Morales

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

CM Punk is quickly rising to the top of the world as the best.
Pedro Morales is no challenge at this point for Punk.
To be honest, I have never heard of Morales before this. I assume he is pretty good considering being at number 22, but Punk is at the top of his game.

Punk gets the pin or submission.

CM Punk is one of the best in ring technical wrestlers in the business, today. He was able to hone his craft all over the world in many different promotions and countries. But the same can be said for Pedro, who holds a hall of fame spot in the WWE. And is a triple crown champion. Punk is also a Triple Crown Champion and holds many more titles over Pedro. Not only that, he was a WWEECW World Champion and a multi-time world champion. CM Punk is no stranger to the hardcore nature of ECW. He will be able to beat Pedro by outsmarting him, outlasting him, and using his experience in WWEECW to knock out Pedro.

CM Punk beats Pedro

CM Punk is my vote to win this whole thing. And while I'm not going to act like I've seen a load of Pedro Morales's matches, I do believe Punk has the overall better skill to take this match easily.

CM Punk Wins.

Gonna go with PUnk here. He has alot of momentum and he's quickly making a name for himself as one of the best on the mic. and in the ring.

I've not seen a Pedro Morales match before, but have heard great things about him. However, the current WWE Champion, Straightedge Superstar may just be too much for Morales to handle. Punk has massive, massive skills in the ring and on the mic, but its his in-ring ability that would come to fruition here, leading to the eventual win for the Pepsi Person.

JS votes CM Punk

Cm punk wins this hands down by submission as he is an all round better wrestler. What better way for the current wwe champ to start the tournament than to tap out a the legend pedro morales.

Cm punk gets my vote

I'm going with CM Punk. I know Pedro Morales was the first WWF triple crown winner, in a time where that was actually impressive, but Morales just never did anything for me.

Punk on the other hand has proven he can do it on any level. He's one of the guys that make people talk about ROH still, he's busted his ass in the WWE from the bottom all the way to the top. He is capable of putting on phenomenal matches. Overall, he's just flat out more entertaining then Pedro.

Don't Vote for Pedro.

Pedro Morales was obviously a great wrestler and would give CM Punk a tough match. Even though Morales is the first ever Triple Crown Champion, CM Punk is the quickest ever Triple Crown Champion. Becoming one in just 203 days. In the ring, CM Punk is more athletic, more intelligent and is simply a better wrestler both in terms of peformance and technicality. Morales deserves respect for what he did for his ethnicity in wrestling but he's not going to beat CM Punk here. CM Punk is the current WWE Champion and has had a great reign. He should get far in this tournament.

I'm with Shocky here. Pedro was a great...Was. CM Punk has done it all from RoH to WWE, and is still rising. He's got impressive mic skills, underrated strength, and the speed and ring presence to overtake Pedro here. It might be a great match to watch, but that doesn't change the outcome.

CM Punk. His style and edgyness is far more entertaining to me than any match Pedro had. As great as he was, i will have to go with Punk.

Punk would win this. Punk is a guy that hasn't always taken off with every shot he's had, but has always come up great towards the end. His current character and successes are testament to that. Morales is a guy who floundered when he was given his shot, so much so that the title was taken back off him and returned to Sammartino. That kind of thing was unheard of back then, and Morales never really reached those peaks again. Punk wins here.

I've struggled over this one because Punk has more World Titles (but three of these were the second prize WHC) compared to Morales single reign that lasted almost three years (which isn't really a fair comparison to today's booking of the top belt).

All things considered, I've decided to back Punk however because he has gained his two WWe Titles off his own back, overcoming claims of not having the 'It factor' to achieve such things. Phil Brooks for me for doing it his way.

CM Punk has to be one of the best ive ever seen. Pedro was good. wait, nix that, Pedro was fantastic. Yet i feel that this one goes to CM Punk all the way.

Pedro was good and was the first guy to win the triple crown, but I think Punk did it inside of a year, which is pretty awesome in its own right. Pedro is a guy that got over because he was the right ethnicity in front of the right crowd. Now after that he did fine on his own, but there wans't much to Pedro other than he's Puerto Rican and firey. He's one of my favorite old school guys, but Punk is the bigger guy.

I'm not as big a fan of CM Punk as most people here and I tend to side with old school guys but I think I'm giving this one to Punk. I'm pretty much in agreement with what KB has already stated. Not only that but despite his lengthy title reign Morales seems to be forgotten in WWE history. Everyone mentions Bruno and Backlund when discussing the pre Hulkamania champions and Morales is always overlooked. I think I'll go with the new generation for a change and vote Punk. Besides it's not like an old timer like Morales has a chance against an IWC God on an internet poll anyway.

No way Punk loses an ECW match this early to someone who had more rest holds than actual moves.

Punk by GTS from the top rope, onto a table on fire.

CM Punk's whole style of wrestling is much more suited to an ECW rules match that Pedro Morales, plus Punk is red hot right now, and has so much momentum that I cannot vote against him.

Morales did a hell of a lot in wrestling, but Punk is someone who has climbed from the bottom up to being arguably the best in the world against all the odds and Morales would not faze him one bit, he would make that sumbitch Go To Sleep.

Winner: CM Punk

I can't believe I'm about to say this...but how is this such a one-sided argument? Look, I'm from Chicago. I followed Punk before anybody knew who Punk was (hipster point, please). I've been to every event in the area since his crazy hot streak of last summer - I'm a diehard Punk fan and even I think the one-sidedness of this debate is ridiculous.

So...Morales was a Triple Crown winner, but Punk did it faster?

No shit he did it faster. While Punk was flying through titles and rising up the ranks of one of the most transitional rosters in wrestling's history, Pedro Morales held the WWWF Heavyweight Championship for three years! Three fucking years! And it's not like he never defended it either - checking the Wiki page alone will show you that he fought Sammartino in a rematch, to a 75-minute draw. Just let that sink in for awhile... During that reign alone he beat Ivan Koloff, Bruno Sammartino, Larry Hennig and Freddie Blassie.

The laundry list of Hall of Famers and legends that Morales has beaten is incredible, not to mention his several lengthy title reigns. And yes, he kind of faded to the back of people's minds when you think old-school wrestling, but I'd wager it was because he was already old when Vince took over and expanded the WWF. He was never one of "Vince's guys", and unless you really followed wrestling by its regions at that point - I'd wager maybe 2 people on these forums actually did, I know I didn't - you'd probably forget about him.

Maybe Punk could win this match. It's in an extreme environment, which Pedro would be totally unfamiliar with. But if you can take Bruno Sammartino to a 75-minute draw, I'd wager you can find a way to outlast a small guy like Punk no matter what the gimmick. Punk has the advantage of being able to sneak out of Pedro's Boston Crab, which is handy. Punk has beaten John Cena, in his home town, and after a big "comeback". He's been at the top of the company, but here's the thing: even as WWE Champion Punk has always been overshadowed by either John Cena, Triple H or the Rock. Something always comes up that is bigger than the "Main event" scene on Raw. When Pedro was the champion, he was THE GUY for three whole years. No minority champion is getting that kind of treatment in 2012. Even the Rock went to the back of the line when Steve Austin was involved.

I'm voting for Pedro Morales. I understand voting for Punk, but I had really expected a bit more from the veterans of this forum. Punk, to me, hasn't proved quite yet that he can handle a challenge like this.

Pedro Morales was one of my favorite Hispanic wrestlers, but with Punk being so fricking OVER right now, I have to go with the Second City Saint.
Been following Punk since his ROH debut, and while he appears to be at his peak, he can do even better.
Morales was unfortunately unable to get that far. Sure, he held the WWWF title for so fricking long, but he only defended, what, 4 or 5 times?
One of the greatest, but Morales isn't the BEST IN THE WORLD.
GTS, Pedro.

Pedro Morales was one of my favorite Hispanic wrestlers, but with Punk being so fricking OVER right now, I have to go with the Second City Saint.
Is this not supposed to be a battle of both men in their prime? I mean, obviously Punk would win TODAY. Pedro's fucking 70 years old! Lots of guys were "over" at one point or another - that doesn't make them capable of winning any match, let alone one of this caliber.

Been following Punk since his ROH debut, and while he appears to be at his peak, he can do even better.
This I agree with. Punk CAN do better. But what has he really done since last summer? He was super over (still is) and did a lot of controversial things to keep him relevant. He made a lot of claims about changing things and bringing in a new era - since then he's barely been on top. Even when he was on top he was overshadowed by a bunch of other people. It was the Rock, it was Triple H. Now it's Brock Lesnar. Punk CAN do better, but since he got his fat new contract and became WWE Champion it just seems like he doesn't give a shit again.

Morales was unfortunately unable to get that far.
What do you mean "that far"? What's your standard of "far"? Maybe you just didnt' know he was a WWWF Champion for a really long time...

Sure, he held the WWWF title for so fricking long
Or not. Why is this not a big accomplishment? Why with EVERY OTHER MATCHUP does this shit matter, but here, when Punk is in the mix, nothing matters except him winning?

, but he only defended, what, 4 or 5 times?
False.

One of the greatest, but Morales isn't the BEST IN THE WORLD.
Neither is Punk. If he was he wouldn't be taking second-fiddle to every guy that pops in for a visit, ei Jericho, Lesnar, Rock, Triple H, Kevin Nash.

God damnit. Now that we've got all the brackets the way they should be, I'm even more convinced Punk shouldn't win this match. In a straight wrestling contest, with no extreme stipulations, against a guy who took Sammartino 75 minutes? Are you serious?

Unfortunately the polls have been up for awhile, and this one isn't even close. Oh well.

I'd hazard a guess that half of you have no idea who Morales is. It's understandable that many would just automatically vote for Punk seeing as he's fresher in our minds, and let's face it, is awesome, but Morales is no slouch either. Along with Sammartino, Morales was an icon for professional wrestling everywhere, at a time when in-ring work meant more than anything else. Morales would be schooled on the mic by Punk, no doubt about, but this is a straight-up wrestling match and Morales is superior in any way.

Vote for Morales. He's the better wrestler, the better techinician and he was a bigger deal than Punk could ever want to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back