WCW Nitro 1995 reviews by Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have recently begun watching WCW Nitro from the beginning and whilst I may not get past 1995 I thought I may aswell reviews the ones I am watching, so here goes:

WCW Nitro #1 - 4th September 1995

Opening

The opening to Nitro was always one of my favourites, it is a little weird seeing Vader knowing he didn't last long after this (he also never appeared on Nitro) and I remember they kept red & yellow Hogan tearing his shirt even after the nWo were well on their way.

Introductions

We meet our commentary team Eric Bischoff, Bobby "the Brain Heenan" and Steve "Mongo" McMichael. Bischoff seems a little green here, Heenan's great as always and McMichael is poor. Still I did like some of his jokes like Bobby Hernia and Bobby the Stain, at least the first time he said them.

Flyin' Brian defeated Jushin "Thunder" Liger

This wasn't nowhere near as good as the Superbrawl match between the two years before but it was clearly not going to be when it was on live TV with no build up or the time required for a match like this. Unfortunately Brian Pillman messes up a few spots (but as Bischoff states; he's only been back for four weeks. Plus it was good the commentators didn't ignore that and actually acknowledged it). I thought the way Pillman one was a little disappointing but it was still entertaining.

Is it just me or is the ring smaller? I can understand if so as this is clearly not a venue for wrestling but I think that it definitely was a reason for people getting spots wrong in matches throughout the night.

Match rating: **1/2

Interview with Sting

This short interview felt a little awkward, maybe its because he was in a mall surrounded by people at the time.

Pastamania

Hulk Hogan plugging his new restaurant, not a bad idea to promote this here. Unfortunately for Hulk, this little venture ultimately failed. I wonder if the restaurant opening was part of the reason they did the debut episode at the Mall of America? Knowing Hogan's pull in WCW I'd say most likely (that's not a dig either I'm a true Hulkamainiac, however that doesn't mean I'm not going to call out stuff).

Sting vs Ric Flair ended in a no contest

Was this a title match? they didn't really say or indicate in the commentary that it was or wasn't.

Lex Luger returns in what I can only imagine was shocking as hell back in the day (been from the UK I had no access to Nitro until 1996 and even then it was limited as I didn't have Sky TV).

Definitely the best match of the night but still not an amazing match, I think the ending with Arn Anderson ruined it mostly, Arn needed to come in at a different point, it just felt rushed. I also think Sting should have been more annoyed by Anderson’s interference and taken him out. Saying that they did tease us with Arn coming back for his jacket as Sting stared him down. Definitely a decent enough match, had it had a better ending and a longer time limit (understandably short due to TV time) I may have given it a better rating.

Match rating: ***

Scott Norton / Randy Savage Altercation

This was clearly done simply to get Savage involved in the debut episode and set up a match for next week. Why Bischoff didn't just say you two can wrestle next week, I don't know. Instead he waits to mention it during the main event. However it succeeded in getting me excited for a Scott Norton vs Randy Savage match and that's what this segment was for. Hopefully the match delivers in episode 2.

Hulk Hogan vs Big Bubba Rogers

It was claimed this was a title match earlier in the episode but during the match Jimmy Hart is carrying the belt around so flat makes me think maybe that info was incorrect and it wasn’t for then belt.

This was a typical Hulk Hogan match but fortunately it was a fun Hulk Hogan match. Part of that was due to the crowd being behind him, when the crowds behind Hogan it usually makes up for what the match lacks in tact. Still you know the story Hogan kicks out the heels move, hulks up, gets the leg drop and the win. For a debut episode I really think this was all that was required. Only thing that was off to me in this was the referee treating Hulk like a heel at times pulling his hair when he was hitting Bubba. Just makes me wonder why the decision was made to book the match like this. Hmm. In any case a fine match for what it was.

Match rating: **

Luger/Hogan promo

This was fantastic, Luger and Hogan were both over with the Mall of America crowd and you could sense the excitement. What I think was so exciting was WWF tried to turn Luger into Hogan mark II and it didn't work. It almost makes the tension seem real and this was a perfect way to end the show.

In Summary

All in all it was a fun show and I think a really solid start to what would become my favourite wrestling show. Its clear they have someways to go until it really hits its stride but even with a few bumps here & there you can see this was already above what Raw was at that time. The show had that live feel, with shocks here and there that really set the tone for what Nitro would be for years to come. It left you wanting to come back for more next week which was Biachoff’s intent with the show and why it was a live show.

Overall rating: *** 3/4 out of 5

Last edited:
WCW Nitro #2 - 11th September 1995

I love seeing the familiar Nitro set (although the ring apron looked terrible here).

First we see a recap of last weeks incident between Hogan and Luger setting up tonight's main event (can't wait for that one).

Alex Wright beat Sabian via reverse decision

Exciting match, interesting booking of Sabu as a loose cannon he wins the match but doesn't stop the beat down afterwards and puts Wright through a table which leads to a reversal of the decision with Wright declared the winner of the match. Really enjoyed that good start to this weeks show.

Match Rating: ***1/2

Interview with Ric Flair, Lex comes down

Bit of a pointless interview really, not even sure why Lex came down he said one thing and walked off. Flair also started talking about Arn Anderson then started saying how Lex is gonna beat Hogan. Very weird!

Sting defeated VK Walstreet

Interestingly when Sting makes his entrance Bischoff gives out the Raw results.

So they spent last week hyping up Wallstreet and he's immediately beaten by Sting. Don't really understand that decision. Surely a debuting talent should be put against someone whose gonna put him over? Still it was aa decent match considering the length as both are great workers. The first two matches have certainly delivered.

Match Rating: ***

Randy Savage beat Scott Norton

Another entertaining match and unlike Walstreet a defeat here doesn't damage the new guy given the way Norton lost; with the Avalanche collapsing on him leaving him unable to get out the way of Savage's elbow drop. It's just a shame that the Dungeon of Doom suck.

Match Rating: ***

Hulk Hogan defeats Lex Luger via DQ

I really really enjoyed this one. Best match of the night by far, I really can't understand why these two didn't face each other at a PPV at this stage. The crowd were really into this match and they were torn on who to cheer for. The match itself was very well booked, both men looked strong and I liked that the DQ finish only happened at a 1 count from the leg drop. Made it much more interesting for definite.

Rating: ***3/4

The night again ends with a promo, this time Hogan and Luger make amends (sort of but not without argument). With Hogan & Sting outvoting Savage in letting Luger into the Hulkamaniacs as Vader’s replacement for War Games at Fall Brawl. I did find it quite funny when Hogan called it the match of his life though (not sure why it was a good match sure but it wasn’t like a huge match).

Summary

A great episode of Nitro and a definite step up from the debut episode. This time they had a true main event, this was one thing WCW had over the WWF on Monday Nights for years big credible main events. One of the reasons Nitro was my favourite wrestling show growing up.

Overall rating: ****

Last edited:
I am finally back with more reviews, thanks to the WWE Network I have rekindled my old love affair with wrestling. Anyway on to the review of the 3rd episode of WCW Monday Nitro.

WCW Nitro #3 - 18th September 1995

We are one day removed from Fall Brawl 1995 where the Hulkamaniacs defeated the Dungeon of Doom in War Games.

After a brief intro from the usual hosts we are greeted by Mene Gene Okerlund who is standing outside somewhere as an ambulance pulls up out steps the Giant and Kevin Sullivan. Admittedly it's a bizarre promo intact quote hilarious. It’s basically there just to explain why Hulk Hogan isn't on the show tonight, but more on that later.

The American Males defeated Harlem Heat to win the WCW World Tag Team Championships

This was meant to be the American Males vs the Blue Bloods but Harlem Heat beat them down and then took over the match saying they were there to defend the tag teams titles against the American Males. Definitely a moment that really aligns with Bischoff’s mantra of this is love so anything can happen and speaking or anything happening. The match ends with a major a shock result, I had no idea the American Males were going to win here. It's always good to see a title change when you least expect it, infact the very first title change on Nitro ever. The match was very short though (don't think it even went five minutes.

Rating: **

Ric Flair comes out for an interview with Mene Gene, he talks about how Arn broke the code bringing an outsider into their feud. He is of course talking about Flyin' Brian Pillmam who helped Arn defeat Ric at Fall Brawl. Usual Ric Flair type promo, energetic and entertaining Wooo!

A promo for this weekends WCW Saturday Night airs, Sting vs William Regal is the pick of the matches. Why not have Sting on Nitro Eric?

Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff defeated Johnny B Badd

Not a great match by any means and I don't really understand the decision for Orndorff to win here. I also really can't stand that music for Orndorff but I guess that’s a part of the gimmick as the commentators agree.

Match Rating: *

We then go to the set of Baywatch where Randy Savage is weight lifting for the babes. Kevin Sullivan then attacks him but who saves him? Ric Flair. This was an obvious attempt to turn Flair face but given the feud he just had with Savage it's hard to swallow.

Then we are back live on the show and it comes Randy Savage comes out for an in ring interview, he tells Flair he doesn't need his help. He's gonna kill Sullivan (who we later find out he'll be facing next week), he doesn't trust Luger or Sting, etc etc. Then Luger comes out and the two talk about each other's agendas etc. Cool little segment.

Then we are treated to a replay from the Main Event (a WCW programme that would air before their PPVs) where the Giant runs over Hogan's motorcycle with a monster truck whilst laughing maniacally. Hogan screams at him. It was a really silly segment used to set up their Monster Truck match at Halloween Havoc. It is however followed by what happens to Hogan at Fall Brawl, where the Giant attacked him after War Games, twisting his neck. While the monster truck segment was laughably bad the segment from Fall Brawl is excellent.

Ric Flair defeated Brian Pillman

A decent enough match, really short with Flair going over quite easily. There was also no sign of Arn Anderson which was strange. Wouldn't it have made more sense to drag this one out for abit and have Pillman get the win here or Arn comes out for the DQ? Just didn’t make sense for Flair to win in that manner then just celebrate.

Match Rating: **1/2

The show ends with a preview of next weeks Nitro, which in all honesty doesn't look very interesting.

Summary

All in all a poor episode, considering it was the day after a PPV they didn't deliver. I can understand Hogan not been there as he is (kayfabe) injured but to not have Arn Anderson there to further along the Pillman/Anderson vs Flair feud was pretty criminal in my eyes.

Overall rating: *3/4

Last edited:
WCW Nitro #4 - 25th September 1995

The usual hosts get us started and we’re straight into the action

Alex Wright defeated Disco Inferno

The battle of the dancers, this match actually makes a lot of sense in paper, well as much sense as two dancing wrestlers can make. It's a pretty forgettable match in all honesty though.

We then go to an interview from the back with Jimmy Hart and Hulk Hogan who is sporting a neck brace. Hulk challenges the Giant to a Monster Truck match and a wrestling match at Halloween Havoc. This reminded me of one of those WWF interviews you'd get on PPVs and live shows back in the day from the locker room area.

Mene Gene is in the ring, they show the clip from last week where the Macho Man slapped Luger in the face. When we return Randy is already in the ring with Mene Gene, he does an interview and out comes Lex Luger. They set up a match for next week in which Luger says he will leave WCW if he loses. Excellent segment.

Then an advert for Halloween Havoc, featuring Hogan, the Giant and their Monster trucks. What makes me laugh is the match is literally set up earlier in the show and they already have a graphic.

Kurasawa (w/Col. Robert Parker) defeated Sgt. Craig Pittman

I think what's worst about this match is I just didn't care for either of them. Still it was a better match technically than the previous one.

Match Rating: *3/4

Mene Gene interviews Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman, they basically taunt Flair saying he won't be able to get a partner for Havoc and it doesn't matter who he gets. Pretty standard.

Then we’re treated to a promo for WCW Saturday Night this Saturday, Sting will be defending that US Title against Johnny B Badd. Why is that not on Nitro?

Kevin Sullivan defeated Randy Savage by DQ

Savage is crazy as usual, this time he's disqualified throwing the referee to one side after he dragged Zodiac into the ring. Anyway forgettable match but the melee after involving the Giant, several jobbers and Lex Luger was pretty good. What's interesting is Giant chokeslams Luger but Sullivan didn't like it. This starts the whole “is Luger with the Dungeon of Doom or not?” storyline that continues on into early 1996.

Meng defeated Lex Luger

This one starts right after the events of the previous match, Luger is still down so Meng takes advantage. Luger makes some comeback during the match but then shockingly loses. Even though it was a suepsie that Lex lost the match is yet another forgettable one. I actually can't believe this was the main event on an episode or Nitro.

Match rating: *1/2

Summary

I thought the last episode was a pretty poor episode overall but this one was worse. Even though it had Lex and Savage on it still felt like it lacked star power (a pre taped backstage interview with Hogan doesn’t doubt).

Hopefully the next episode will get us back to speed when Hulk Hogan returns to Nitro and the Total Package takes on the Macho Man, ooh yeah!

Overall rating: *

Last edited:
I’m finally back with more reviews.

WCW Nitro #5 - 2nd October 1995

Flair interrupts the commentators as they’re bigging up tonight’s double main event. He wants Double A!!!

Then we’re treated to a look back to last week to the Savage & Luger promo & what happened in conclusion to the Savage-Sullivan match. Good little reminder to hype up tonight’s match between the two. And it’s up next...

Lex Luger defeated Macho Man Randy Savage via submission

The longest lock up ever starts up this one and it’s interrupted by a crazy promo for Halloween Havoc, Hogan, The Giant, the Dungeon or Doom and Monster Trucks. When we come back it’s really like the match starts. The crowd are really booing Lex in this one. Macho Man the clear babyface here.

I think the pair were really working each other out here. It’s a decent enough match but I feel like it’s a match they can and probably would improve on the more they work together. The Giant chokeslams Savage which allows Luger to get the win with the Torture Rack. This adds more fuel to the is Luger with the Dungeon story. God I really do love that Luger theme.

Match rating: **

Promo for WCW Saturday Night, nothing advertised to write home about.

Out comes Disco Inferno unexpectedly, WCW Nitro has disco fever. It’s supposed to be Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko, oh wait Disco Fever is over as Eddie Guerrero’s music hits.

Eddie Guerrero defeated Dean Malenko via pinfall

The entrances are over but we’re flashing back to the end of the Eddie Guerrero vs Jushin “Thunder” Liger Match from the Main Event as Guerrero pins Liger with the frog splash. Apparently by winning he got the match on Nitro with Malenko.

The match is interrupted by Hogan arriving at the building. Now I’m all for this scene but did it have to be during the match? Or could they not have had a split screen? Feels a little unfair on the in ring talent and it killed the flow of the match.

After Guerrero wins Dean wants a rematch and Eddie agrees. Let’s hope it’s uninterrupted next time out.

Match rating: *1/2

Mene Gene interviews WCW Champion Hulk Hogan

Hogan arrives to huge applause. Denver Colorado must be a good town for Hogan at this time. Hogan says he’s headed to the back to get the Giant even with a neck brace. But shockingly Hogan is attached by a “woman” from the crowd. Oh no it’s just Kevin Sullivan he, the Giant and the Zodiac beat Hogan down as the Giant once again twists Hogan’s neck. Then they shave off his moustache (which I believe was for the Secret Agent Club). Not sure why but the America Males and the Nasty Boys come out to save Hogan but are destroyed by the DOD. That was actually a pretty decent segment overall.

Repeat or the Havoc promo then it’s Main Event time.

Ric Flair defeated Arn Anderson via DQ

Arn doesn’t even get a ring entrance wtf?

This match obviously wasn’t as the level of their match at Fall Brawl but that match had the benefit of time. Still a good match and easily the best match or the night.

Funny thing about this match is the way Heenan and Bischoff keep accidentally calling Pillman Pittman.

Flair wins when Pillman interferes. Anderson and Pillman beat Flair down.

Match rating: ***

In the wrap up it’s announced that Flair and Anderson will meet again next week on WCW Nitro in a STEEL CAGE! We’re also getting Sting vs the Shark, Saba vs Mr JBL and Big Bubba Rogers vs Road Warrior Hawk. That’s 4 matches!!

Summary

A much better Nitro than last week, never got boring and was pretty exciting throughout given all the drama.

Overall rating: **1/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back