Jarrett vs. Canek

• Double J

• Canek

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following mtach takes place in the WCW Region under WCW Rules, from LA, Ca. The ring entrance and ring are equal height.

#11. "The King of the Mountain" Jeff Jarrett
jarrett.jpg

vs.

#54. El Canek
canekposemo9.jpg

This match goes to El Canek, decisively!

Don't get me wrong - Jarrett is a decent wrestler. He's a mid-carder who stepped in shit one day and was elevated into a main event spot that maybe he wasn't suited for. He's been on the beneficial side of some booking power, and it's turned into a nice career. I also think he's a good man.

But El Canek is a freakin' legend, and one of the most skilled and versatile wrestlers to come from ANY of the four major wrestling countries (US, Japan, Canada, Mexico).

Allow me to reiterate my reasons for El Canek being so much better than the competition:

1. El Canek is a 15-time UWA World Heavyweight Champion. It's the only major championship to his credit. Why? Because he stuck with UWA, and even continued to defend the UWA World Title after the UWA folded in 1995. Canek was the most established, legitimae star in the history of Lucha.

2. El Canek defeated none other than Lou Thesz to win his first UWA World Championship. Thesz is THE legend on wrestling as far as I go, and he didn't lose to just anyone. On September 27th, 1978, Canek beat Thesz for the first of fifteen.

3. Some of Canek's other victories are over men named: Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Yokozuna, Big Van Vader, Owen Hart, Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu, and Antonio Inoki. Look again at that list. NOBODY else has beaten all of those men. NOBODY. That's sick. Other than Owen Hart, it reads like a who's who. He beat them in Mexico, Japan, and the US - didn't matter where.

4. El Canek is the only man to have bodyslammed BOTH Andre the Giant and Yokozuna. Hogan didn't slam Yokozuna. And Luger didn't slam Andre. Neither did Ahmed Johnson. But El Canek slammed both of them - and guess what? Canek slammed Andre before Hogan did it, and Canek slammed Yokozuna before Luger did it. And not a bullshit hip-toss slam either.

5. Canek did all of this standing 6'0, and weighing 240 lbs. He's got 10 lbs, and one inch on Jericho. And he's beaten every legend, and slammed every SHW. That's an amazing statistic.

EL CANEK would destroy Jeff "The Chosen One with the Booking Power" Jarrett in under 10 minutes.

EL CANEK would dismantle Ultimo Dragon, but in a 20-minute classic.

EL CANEK would make JYD see double before pinning him in under 6 minutes.

EL CANEK is the reason guys like Eddie Guerrero had a shot.

What is Jarret's claim to fame? Losing the Intercontinental Title to a woman? Participating in the event that would become the biggest clusterfuck in wrestling history with the infamous lay-down to Hogan at Bash at the Beach? Practically owning TNA and then booking himself as "The King of the Mountain" only to watch ratings finally start to climb after he wrote himself off the show?

Canek has wrestling and MMA background, and he'd mash Jarrett into pulp.

I'm torn here but I think I'll go with Canek. Jeff Jarrett looks like a main eventer, talks like a main eventer, acts like a main eventer and sometimes wrestles like a main eventer. For some reason though, he doesn't get treated like one and there's a reason for that: the fans don't buy it. That's the biggest problem you can have as a wrestler. If the fans don't buy you, you have nothing. There is one reason Jarrett is the king of TNA or that TNA exists at all and that is because Jarrett has been thrown out of WWE. Canek from everything that I've read is as good as they come in Mexico, and with Jarrett never doing much in WCW until it was absolutely dead, I'll go with Canek but not by much.

I was hoping Jarrett would get a bad draw and he did. I absolutely hate the guy. He's had some success in TNA, but other than that, hasn't accomplished much.

He would be completely outmatched by El Canek, who has beaten MANY of the greats, and Double J certainly isn't great. Canek has him completely outmatched here and should win rather easily

I dont know much about El Canek but IC has convinced me.I never actually liked jarret,i think he is a solid performer but i dont see him as main event material but from the looks of canek's credentials the win should go to him.He has an amazing resume that not many people can touch and jarret doesnt even come close to El Canek's accomplishments.Also jarret hasnt really beaten many big name stars like el canek has.There is a little amount of people who cans say they have beaten hulk hogan or andre the giant or some of the others listed by IC.So i will vote for El Canek just because IC has convinced me that he should go over jarret.

Yes, let's all jump on the bandwagon and pick a 15 time territorial champion over a ten time recognized world champion. While we're at it, let's go ahead and pick Jerry Lawler over Triple H while we're at it.

1. El Canek is a 15-time UWA World Heavyweight Champion. It's the only major championship to his credit. Why? Because he stuck with UWA, and even continued to defend the UWA World Title after the UWA folded in 1995. Canek was the most established, legitimae star in the history of Lucha.

Canek was a 15 time champion in probably the poorest of the Lucha Organizations. There were 33 champions, Canek was a 15 time champion, speaks to the value of that title, considering that title is essentially meaningless. The Sandman was a 3 time ECW Champion, Mikey Whipwreck was an ECW Triple crown champion, and beat Cactus Jack and Steve Austin, so Whipwreck should have won in round 1.

2. El Canek defeated none other than Lou Thesz to win his first UWA World Championship. Thesz is THE legend on wrestling as far as I go, and he didn't lose to just anyone. On September 27th, 1978, Canek beat Thesz for the first of fifteen

Yes, because a 62 year old man is so impressive to watch in the ring... Lou Thesz was a shadow of his former self, you know, since it was 30 years since winning his first world title. El Canek was in his late 20's, so he should be beating a man more then twice his age.

3. Some of Canek's other victories are over men named: Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Yokozuna, Big Van Vader, Owen Hart, Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu, and Antonio Inoki. Look again at that list. NOBODY else has beaten all of those men. NOBODY. That's sick. Other than Owen Hart, it reads like a who's who. He beat them in Mexico, Japan, and the US - didn't matter where.

It's wrestling, everyone has beaten everyone at some point and some time. The List is impressive, damn impressive, and I can't deny it. It's wrestling though, Kennedy's beaten 9 former world champions, and you know..

4. El Canek is the only man to have bodyslammed BOTH Andre the Giant and Yokozuna. Hogan didn't slam Yokozuna. And Luger didn't slam Andre. Neither did Ahmed Johnson. But El Canek slammed both of them - and guess what? Canek slammed Andre before Hogan did it, and Canek slammed Yokozuna before Luger did it. And not a bullshit hip-toss slam either

And that means what? He's strong, so... Jarrett is smarter, and the business is in his blood. He was breed to be a wrestler, and he's a damn fine wrestler. He's a thinking man's wrestler, and Jarrett will beat him with his smarts, plus his over whelming technical ability, and his ability to piss people off.

Jeff Jarrett's claim to fame, being successful everywhere he went, before he bought a company, and then being the #1 draw in said company.

Jeff Jarrett is a six time Intercontinental Champion, a record only broken recently by Chris Jericho. The Reason he didn't get his shot at the WWE Gold is because Steve Austin pulled the politic cards as he had personal beef with Jarrett.

He went onto win 3 United States Championships in WCW, and then 4 WCW World Championships, screw job or no screw job.

And then he went onto become a 6 Time NWA Champion, an accomplishment only two men have achieved before him, Harley Race, and Ric Flair. So believe the smoke and mirrors that Jarrett booked himself to the top, that's all fine and good, but the total of 44 Individual titles he held before he started TNA speaks for itself.

Before voting, read this, especially if you are unfamiliar with El Canek.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=37455

If you read that thread, you will see that I am in no way shape or form a Canek mark, but I think that he was good enough to overcome Jarrett. WCW always did the best out of the major promotions in promoting foreigners, and if we're taking wrestlers in their primes, we should take promotions in their prime, in which case Jarrett wouldn't have Russo pushing him to the Pepsi max, and I don't think he'd win this one.

Canek would win this one, but Jarrett would certainly push him close.

Yes, let's all jump on the bandwagon and pick a 15 time territorial champion over a ten time recognized world champion. While we're at it, let's go ahead and pick Jerry Lawler over Triple H while we're at it.

As opposed to being spoon-fed over rated mid carders who book themselves into invincibility? Nope, sorry.

1. Canek was a 15 time champion in probably the poorest of the Lucha Organizations. There were 33 champions, Canek was a 15 time champion, speaks to the value of that title, considering that title is essentially meaningless. The Sandman was a 3 time ECW Champion, Mikey Whipwreck was an ECW Triple crown champion, and beat Cactus Jack and Steve Austin, so Whipwreck should have won in round 1.

Well, since Canek was an absolute legend in Mexico, and since wrestlers came from all over the world to wrestle him, he had matches with a variety of challengers in a variety of venues.

It also bears mentioning tat El Canek won his first UWA Championship in August of 1978, and lost his last one in June of 2004. So before you call the title meaningless and attempt to insult us as well as Lucha by discrediting the promotion, realize that is 15 title reigns in 26 years.

Triple H won his first WWE Title in August of 1999, and has won either that or the World Heavyweight Championship 13 times in 9 and a half years. So if you want to discredit a title, point the finger at the WWE, not the UWA.

Furthermore, those title reigns totaled 7,255 days as champion. That is the equivalent of 19.9 consecutive YEARS as champion, and an average title reign length of 483.66 days PER REIGN. That is 1.325 years per reign. Do the math.

EL CANEK held the UWA Championship longer than Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, and Pedro Morales held the WWF Championship COMBINED!

So before you discredit a title as "meaningless," please next time make sure you do the math.

Yes, because a 62 year old man is so impressive to watch in the ring... Lou Thesz was a shadow of his former self, you know, since it was 30 years since winning his first world title. El Canek was in his late 20's, so he should be beating a man more then twice his age.

That's not the entire point, though. The idea wasn't that he BEAT Lou Thesz. It's that Lou Thesz, possibly the greatest pro wrestling mind EVER, hand picked Canek as the best man to carry that promotion's championship.

Who decided that Jeff Jarrett was the best choice to hold the NWA Title in TNA? That's right, head booker Jeff Jarrett decided that. You call the UWA Title worthless, but Canek was hand picked by a legend like Thesz, whereas Jarrett was hand picked by...himself...

It's wrestling, everyone has beaten everyone at some point and some time. The List is impressive, damn impressive, and I can't deny it. It's wrestling though, Kennedy's beaten 9 former world champions, and you know.

Sure, but Kennedy hasn't beaten the list of guys Canek has. Nor has Kennedy carried a promotion, been a world champion, defended his title n three continents...

And guys like Hogan, Andre, Vader - they didn't lose to just anybody, you know. And Canek beat them in their primes, when Hogan was an international mega-star, when Andre could move, and when Vader was the most feared man in the business.

Yes, Shocky, it's wrestling, and everyone has beaten everyone. Six degrees of separation could probably put Whipwreck over Hogan - but that's silly. You ever admit, nobody has the hit list that Canek has. Except maybe Hogan, Vader, and Andre.

And that means what? He's strong, so... Jarrett is smarter, and the business is in his blood. He was breed to be a wrestler, and he's a damn fine wrestler. He's a thinking man's wrestler, and Jarrett will beat him with his smarts, plus his over whelming technical ability, and his ability to piss people off.

Yes, El Canek is very strong. And he's a cruiserweight! So he's strong AND he's fast AND he's agile. And unlike Jarrett, El Canek has a boxing and MMA record, which also speaks to his technical ability.

And yes, Jarrett is smart. SO SMART, he realized that the fans weren't buying him, so he went in on a promotion, became head booker, and forced himself down their throats. That is smart It obviously worked on SOME people...

Jeff Jarrett's claim to fame, being successful everywhere he went, before he bought a company, and then being the #1 draw in said company.

Wait, wait, wait, HUH? Successful everywhere he went? Ok, depends on your measure of success.

If success is being a career mid-carder and tag team wrestler, hitting people with a balsa wood guitar and wearing blinking glasses, losing said Intercontinental Title to a woman, and then leaving on the first train out is success, then you have got me.

And of course, WCW. Yeah, his title reigns did WONDERS for that company. So well, in fact, that when he was "The Chosen One" and held the WCW Title, nobody really cared.

And then, again, going in on TNA. You call him the #1 draw in the company - I disagree. He booked himself as CHAMPION, but I doubt he was the top draw. Styles would take that crown.

But being the #1 draw in a company that drew less than a 1.0 on TV? Whoa, good for him. But as soon as he stepped down and handed the reigns to guys like Angle, Sting, etc. TNA is doing 1.0 - 1.4's. Coincidence? Maybe Jeff Jarrett just isn't over with the fans!

Jeff Jarrett is a six time Intercontinental Champion, a record only broken recently by Chris Jericho. The Reason he didn't get his shot at the WWE Gold is because Steve Austin pulled the politic cards as he had personal beef with Jarrett.

Damn impressive. I won't discredit that Jarrett is a GOOD mid-card wrestler, Shocky. I won't. He is in second place all-time for a mid-card title. A title he held for a total of 290 days - 48 days per title reign. Yay!

And Austin played the politics card on Jarrett? It wasn't because he just wasn't over? And is this the same politics card Jarrett played in both WCW and TNA?

He went onto win 3 United States Championships in WCW, and then 4 WCW World Championships, screw job or no screw job.

Yep, two more US Titles than Mongo McMichael and two more WCW Titles than David Arquette. And I'll take "screwjob" for $500, Alex.

And then he went onto become a 6 Time NWA Champion, an accomplishment only two men have achieved before him, Harley Race, and Ric Flair. So believe the smoke and mirrors that Jarrett booked himself to the top, that's all fine and good, but the total of 44 Individual titles he held before he started TNA speaks for itself.

Who booked for the NWA when Flair and Race won their NWA Championships? And didn't the NWA Title get defended against just about EVERYONE in those days, as opposed to just one fledgling, upstart promotion?

Folks, the numbers and the facts don't lie. Jarrett's best days were in WWF as a very capable Intercontinental Champion. But beyond that, he's marred by screwjobs, booking favors, politics, etc. El Canek is a true champion, and the math up top tells the entire story.

Sadly, my co-admin does not.

I'm not going to respond directly to the Canadian just yet - I've got to be away from the computer quite soon.

The fact of the matter is this: most of you don't even know what IC just said. You know he held some title that some other half-recognisable names (and Hulk Hogan) did. If titles are a proportional measure of success - which they aren't - then how do they work when choosing a kayfabe winner? They don't.

This is WCW. Now, let's take a look back at El Canek's storied WCW history.

That was it. Short, I know. Now, far be it for me to suggest that a 3 time WCW United States Champion and 4 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion might just have the advantage here, but I'm sure you'll agree there's the possibility.

Don't buy into the regional argument? That's fine. Let's just talk about how, obscure titles at obscure companies aside, El Canek is most definitely the slowest cruiserweight I have ever seen. Watch him, and you'll likely say the same. Apparently, he popularised the American style in Mexico. Turns out that the American style isn't popular in Mexico. Must have gone out of style at some point.

So what we essentially have here is a man who is in a region where he has won world gold - weird how there's no UWA region, eh? - and who has proven to be fantastic at his wrestling style. Tune in to TNA and you'll see him kicking the shit out of Kurt Angle every week. He's the only guy that actually does, come to think of it.

The man he is facing is accredited with some belts at some promotions you will probably have never heard of. If you listen to Tastycles (which I personally do), the Canadian has grossly exaggerated the importance of these reigns and of El Canek's career as a whole. He's also, get this, really slow and cumbersome for a cruiserweight. Well, for any wrestler, really. And that's why he's so good. Went over my head too.

If El Canek had ever, ever faced Jarrett in a WCW ring, there is no way in hell he would have gone over. Do me a favour; actually watch an El Canek match. I've watched several. I'll be surprised if you're remotely impressed. Jarrett wins this one in a walk.

As opposed to being spoon-fed over rated mid carders who book themselves into invincibility? Nope, sorry.

I thought this was meant to be a kayfabe competition. Booking doesn't enter in to kayfabe. And even if it did, Jarrett sure as shit didn't have much creative control when he was the WCW World Heayweight Champion. Certainly no more than people like Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan did when they were champions. If we're going to take into account favourable booking, we should just dump Triple H out in the first round.

Well, since Canek was an absolute legend in Mexico,

Yes, Canek was a legend in WCW, I'll give you that. Wait, that doesn't say WCW! That doesn't say WCW at all.

It also bears mentioning tat El Canek won his first UWA Championship in August of 1978, and lost his last one in June of 2004. So before you call the title meaningless and attempt to insult us as well as Lucha by discrediting the promotion, realize that is 15 title reigns in 26 years.

Sounds like he might have had some favourable booking there.

Triple H won his first WWE Title in August of 1999, and has won either that or the World Heavyweight Championship 13 times in 9 and a half years. So if you want to discredit a title, point the finger at the WWE, not the UWA.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think Triple H has probably had better opponents. Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker.

Why am I arguing for Triple H? Wait, why are you arguing over the significance of winning a title a lot as if it's going to grant El Canek some magic powers that allow him to defeat Jarrett. I hope you actually go into wrestling styles or the like.

EL CANEK held the UWA Championship longer than Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, and Pedro Morales held the WWF Championship COMBINED!

Again, I'm supposing that they probably had different opponents. Hands up who actually knows anything about the UWA, other than El Canek holding their title forever?

That's not the entire point, though. The idea wasn't that he BEAT Lou Thesz. It's that Lou Thesz, possibly the greatest pro wrestling mind EVER, hand picked Canek as the best man to carry that promotion's championship.

The UWA.

Who decided that Jeff Jarrett was the best choice to hold the NWA Title in TNA? That's right, head booker Jeff Jarrett decided that. You call the UWA Title worthless, but Canek was hand picked by a legend like Thesz, whereas Jarrett was hand picked by...himself...

Still don't see how any of this factors in to a kayfabe competition. I'll just have a look at Jarrett holding the TNA belt.

JeffJarrett.jpg

I may have made a mistake.

Yes, El Canek is very strong.

Ah, here we go. Yes, El Canek is pretty strong. I've watched the videos of him slamming those big guys. I can't say I was that impressed. Nor can I see how it will help him against Jarrett.

And he's a cruiserweight!

Traditionally, cruiserweights did quite well against their heavyweight counterparts in WCW.

So he's strong AND he's fast AND he's agile.

You would think. Alas, no he isn't.

And unlike Jarrett, El Canek has a boxing and MMA record, which also speaks to his technical ability.

So does Elijah Burke.

And yes, Jarrett is smart. SO SMART, he realized that the fans weren't buying him, so he went in on a promotion, became head booker, and forced himself down their throats. That is smart It obviously worked on SOME people...

You seem to be just attacking Jarrett's popularity here. You know how many rating points TNA has gone up since when Jarrett left in 2006? .3. That's up until now, taking into account Kurt Angle joining as Jarrett left and Sting becoming world heavyweight champion.

I don't know why I'm even debating it - it's not a relevant argument.

What were El Canek's ratings like? Sure, Hulk Hogan wrestled him when he was holidaying in Mexico, but that speaks nothing for how significant he actually was.

And of course, WCW. Yeah, his title reigns did WONDERS for that company. So well, in fact, that when he was "The Chosen One" and held the WCW Title, nobody really cared.

He was still WCW champion, was he not? And I'm still failing to see how popularity fits into this.

And then, again, going in on TNA. You call him the #1 draw in the company - I disagree. He booked himself as CHAMPION, but I doubt he was the top draw. Styles would take that crown.

Nah. AJ's the most over. He's not the top draw. Kurt Angle is.

Maybe Jeff Jarrett just isn't over with the fans!

You're right. That's why he lost all those matches. But wait, he actually won a lot of matches despite that. No, I shouldn't suggest that not being over doesn't affect wrestling ability.

Folks, the numbers and the facts don't lie. Jarrett's best days were in WWF as a very capable Intercontinental Champion. But beyond that, he's marred by screwjobs, booking favors, politics, etc.

No, he's not. Not in a kayfabe competition, at the very least.

El Canek is a true champion, and the math up top tells the entire story.

In professional wrestling? About how long El Canek held a belt which most people haven't even heard of? Seriously?

A vote for El Canek is a vote for pointless Irish facts. If you want them come to me, I've got several.

''El Canek isn't half the star Jeff Jarrett is''

''People have heard of Jeff Jarrett''

''It's not cool to follow the admin, the Irish one that is''

''Jeff Jarrett has a guitar that's made of paper. Yeah, paper lays out all of his opponents. That's how strong he is''

''The only way El Canek could beat Double J is in a Good Housekeeping Match.''

The Irishman trys to baffle noobs with what is essentially a pile of tripe. He's like me, only he's being serious. It's fine to get behind a talented fat ass like Vader. people will buy it because he was good and he had size. But if you vote for El Canek you may as well just take a big long schlurp on his schnitzel.

It's a shame that Jake ruined what was a very strong post by Uncle Sam with the tired old "if you agree with IC25's facts then you're just kissing his ass" argument. It's sad. No, it's worse. IT'S DESPARATE.

So, out of respect for Sam, I am going to respond to his points and pretend Jake's insults to the members of this board never happened. I'm pressing the reset button - just like Jeff Jarrett era WCW.

1. The regional argument. Sam mentions that, because Jeff Jarrett won titles in the real WCW, that he should go over in the WCW region. That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since somebody told me to vote for Brutus Beefcake.

The region is named AFTER WCW, which means the match is in a 4-sided ring of a certain size with the platform equal height to the ring. THAT IS ALL IT MEANS. Jarret wrestling in WCW has no bearing on his performance in the WCW region. There is, in fact, little or no difference between a WCW and a WWE ring, aside from a few square inches and the platform height.

Sam also argues that "there's no region names after UWA." Well no kidding, this tournament is run by a wrestling board admin who lives in the US, and is participated in by 98% people from the US, UK, Canada, Austrailia, and Ireland. TNA is still a young, quasi-successful promotion - NJPW and AJPW are both bigger, more successful world wide promotions with a richer history, but there are no Japanese residents on the boards, nor are there any from Mexico. One of the hallmarks of event marketing is to know your audience. And if two more regions were added to this tournament, it'd probably be AWA and SMW.

2. The argument that UWA is "obscure." Sure, to people who are so ethnocentric that they refuse to leave their force-fed comfort zone and see that great promotions exist outside of the US and Canada. The idea that, if a wrestler wasn't a high paid commodity in either WWF/E, WCW, NWA, AWA, ECW, TNA, or ROH is ridiculous and SO arrogant. Hell, Jake even mentions that my Vader devotion is "excusable," though most of my arguments for him come from his work in Japan and Mexico!

If you just take some time to learn about the Lucha promotions, you'll gain a new respect for El Canek's work, and what he meant to pro wrestling internationally.

And to call the UWA and it's #1 guy obscure is also an insult to both New Japan Pro and WWF, both of whom had talent exchanges and booking agreements with UWA. El Canek defended the UWA World Heavyweight Championship in Japan, in the US, and in Mexico.

UWA was the #2 promotion in Mexico, behind AAA. Ok, well, WCW was the #2 promotion in the US, behind WWF/E. So being a 15-time UWA Champion in Mexico is the US equivalent of being a 15-time WCW Champion. Jarrett was not even close, nor were his title reigns nearly as impressive.

3. The argument that booking holds no weight in a kayfabe tournament. With that, I am merely pointing out that Jeff Jarrett lacked the overall ability to win without significant help. And the Triple H parallel is garbage. He started winning world titles before he had anything to do with Stephanie McMahon, even at a time when he was being punished for the "Madison Square Garden incident" with The Kliq. Triple H saw success without the booking behind him, as did El Canek. Jarrett did not.

Now for some direct responses to Sam...

El Canek is most definitely the slowest cruiserweight I have ever seen.

I never claimed he was the fastest cruiserweight ever. The reason he is so great stems from how well-rounded he was. He was possibly the strongest cruiserweight ever. But there were heavyweights stronger than him. But the rub is that none of the heavyweights who were stronger than El Canek were also as quick and agile as he was.

You see, Sam, this is why he was able to hang with and defeat men like Hulk Hogan, Antonio Inoki, Andre the Giant, Yokozuna, and Big Van Vader. He was strong enough to hold his own against their power (even slamming Yokozuna and Andre), but also quick enough to have a real edge over them.

Tune in to TNA and you'll see him [Jarrett] kicking the shit out of Kurt Angle every week. He's the only guy that actually does, come to think of it.

That's because he's the only one who can write the storyline, Sammy.

Again, I am not discrediting Jarrett as a talented mid-card performer.

So does Elijah Burke.

Yes, but Burke isn't a 15-time UWA World Heavyweight Champion. Burke isn't a wrestling legend in Mexico and Japan.

El Canek is. AND he has boxing and MMA success.

You're right. That's why he lost all those matches. But wait, he actually won a lot of matches despite that. No, I shouldn't suggest that not being over doesn't affect wrestling ability.

I'm glad you admit that Jarrett wasn't over. And why wasn't he over? Because he was nothing special. He was better-than-average, I'll never deny that.

What were El Canek's ratings like?

Well, maybe this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Canek said:
At around the same time, the UWA made a talent trading agreement with New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW). Japanese superstars like Antonio Inoki and Riki Choshu would travel to Mexico to face Canek, while Canek would travel to Japan to face stars like Tiger Mask and Tatsumi Fujinami. Canek's matches against foreign superstars drew such large crowds that UWA would continue using this same formula for more than a decade.

There ya go.

I'd also like to point out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Canek said:
Canek holds victories over several international stars including Lou Thesz, Hulk Hogan, André the Giant, Yokozuna, Big Van Vader, Owen Hart and Japanese stars Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu and Kim Duk. He famously bodyslammed both Andre the Giant and Yokozuna.

The choice is simple. El Canek over Jarrett. Folks, don't allow people like Sam and Shocky to blind you with ethnocentrism, or discount an entire country's wrestling lineage. The facts are irrefutable, and if you need me to re-post them or highlight them, just look to my previous post:

IC25 said:

Furthermore, those title reigns totaled 7,255 days as champion. That is the equivalent of 19.9 consecutive YEARS as champion, and an average title reign length of 483.66 days PER REIGN. That is 1.325 years per reign. Do the math.

It's a shame that Jake ruined what was a very strong post by Uncle Sam with the tired old "if you agree with IC25's facts then you're just kissing his ass" argument. It's sad. No, it's worse. IT'S DESPARATE.

So, out of respect for Sam, I am going to respond to his points and pretend Jake's insults to the members of this board never happened. I'm pressing the reset button - just like Jeff Jarrett era WCW.

Poor post by myself, I agree. But it's really rather strange how Lucha discussion begins and ends on this forum with this thread:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=29875

I thank you for your contribution to it, Irish.

Where was all the El Canek last year? For somebody with as many accolades as you say he has, he was inexplicably nonexistent last year.

I just find it very strange that you've elected to back him this year and everybody has started to go El Canek Crazy. :headscratch:

EDIT: Here's some matches. I'm not big on YouTube but I assume the most watched are at the top of the page. I'm also assuming that the most watched are the best.

[youtube]GAiJK1XeLf0[/youtube]
[youtube]T5ilaTGyetI[/youtube]
[youtube]MPHEqorXo3M[/youtube]

I watched there three although I'd seen the Tiger Mask one before. My overall opinion is that Jarret would win. So there.

I think Canek should win here, but not for the reasons that IC is saying. First and foremost, you cannot use the booking argument against Jeff Jarrett, because Canek booked his own matches at UWA. Secondly, UWA was the number two promotion to EMLL and then the number three behind AAA and CMLL. The reason it failed in part was because nobody wanted to see Canek versus the foreingers anymore.

Canek should win for a number of reasons:

1. Canek and Jeff Jarrett are about the same size. Canek is dogshit against people that are significantly smaller than him, but Jarrett isn't. Jarrett is weaker than Canek, and isn't exactly renown for his pace either. Jarrett is pretty much an all rounder, whereas Canek has an obvious attribute: his strength. There is nothing Jarrett has that would subdue Canek, so Canek would outmuscle him to victory.

2. Jeff Jarrett's title wins shouldn't be compared to Canek's title wins, but his lucha de apuestas record. Canek has taken 9 masks, including those of Owen Hart and Universo 2000, who is still quite a big deal in CMLL. All of his mask wins were relevant and important, but if you break down Jarrett's title wins you see that he was awarded one, beat David Arquette for another and his NWA title reigns are damaged by the fact that TNA's roster was poor whe he won.

3. Canek would have the crowd on his side- The Southern Californian crowds get behind Mexican wrestlers, and I see no reason why they wouldn't here. Canek was always good at working a crowd, and using the momentum to his advantage, and he'd do that here.

4. Canek's finisher is actually good, he gorilla presses them into a backbreaker. The move is rarely countered, because once lifted above his head, there is nothing they can do. Jarrett 's finisher is the Stroke, something that can easily be powered out of, and Canek has the advantage here.

5. And I hate this argument, but it works on some people. Ignoring the big named foreign people, Canek has beaten all of the Mexican wrestlers that have beaten Jarrett when he competed in AAA. As I said, I hate chains of victory, but you'll struggle to find anybody that Jarrett has beaten that has beat Canek.

By no means is Canek as good as IC will have you believe, but I do think that in a one on one match in Los Angeles, Canek would pick up the victory.

It's a shame that Jake ruined what was a very strong post by Uncle Sam with the tired old "if you agree with IC25's facts then you're just kissing his ass" argument.

Now I'm going to find it hard to put my war face on. Damn it, I'll try my best.

1. The regional argument. Sam mentions that, because Jeff Jarrett won titles in the real WCW, that he should go over in the WCW region. That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've heard since somebody told me to vote for Brutus Beefcake.

Now you're not pretending that Jake's post didn't exist at all. Personally, I've never entirely bought into the argument. However, I know others do. There is some merit to it.

Really, it depends on your interpretation of the rules. Well, of wrestling even. If you think being in a certain place, with a certain type of atmosphere, with certain fans or a certain type of... colour theme makes a difference then, well, it makes a difference here. I know that people have and will bring it up in relation to Hogan, Goldberg and Sting.

"So and so rarely lost here. Do you really think so and so will lose to him here?"

2. The argument that UWA is "obscure." Sure, to people who are so ethnocentric that they refuse to leave their force-fed comfort zone and see that great promotions exist outside of the US and Canada.

Force-fed is a bit harsh. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people will vote for El Canek without knowing who he is or even because of it.

"I don't know who he is, but shit, these guys seem to like him and I never cared much for Jarrett."

Sly brought it up in the women's tournament - God rest its soul - when Trish Stratus faced... some Japanese women. People were only voting for "some Japanese women" because Echelon was telling them to, not because they actually knew anything about her.

The idea that, if a wrestler wasn't a high paid commodity in either WWF/E, WCW, NWA, AWA, ECW, TNA, or ROH is ridiculous and SO arrogant.

To be fair, I'll gladly put the NWA, AWA, ROH and even ECW in the same boat.

Hell, Jake even mentions that my Vader devotion is "excusable," though most of my arguments for him come from his work in Japan and Mexico!

Video evidence, my friend. We were all impressed by those videos of Vader kicking the shit out of people.

If you just take some time to learn about the Lucha promotions, you'll gain a new respect for El Canek's work, and what he meant to pro wrestling internationally.

Hmm, maybe what his work meant. Definitely not his actual work. I still fail to see what was so special about him. The only reason I can see why Mexican fans would like him, a cumbersome little guy, is for the same reason we like agile big guys. And in Japan they just like big American guys. It's something different. So why not?

So being a 15-time UWA Champion in Mexico is the US equivalent of being a 15-time WCW Champion.

I sincerely doubt that. I also still don't think the "title vs. title" argument holds any water. Actually looking at how the wrestlers compare in the ring, that's how this should be done. I look forward to replying to Tastycles post in the next... hour or so. How much more can there be?

3. The argument that booking holds no weight in a kayfabe tournament.

You're not going to change my mind on this one.

With that, I am merely pointing out that Jeff Jarrett lacked the overall ability to win without significant help.

From what - a pen? Suggesting to creative that he'd like some favourable booking his way. I don't even think him booking himself to titles means much; he was actually without exception the best option for that belt. Better than Rhino, better than Samoa Joe, better than Raven, AJ Styles or even Sting.

And the Triple H parallel is garbage.

I think it's certainly more accurate than comparing the careers of one wrestler in America and one wrestler in Mexico, from completely different eras.

Now for some direct responses to Sam...

Oh Christ. I'll try to get to Tastycles post some time tomorrow.

I never claimed he was the fastest cruiserweight ever.

You did mention the words "agile" and "quick" (or maybe it was "fast" - it had the same effect).

The reason he is so great stems from how well-rounded he was.

He was strong. However, because his speed didn't compensate for his size, that's more of a disadvantage than anything.

He was possibly the strongest cruiserweight ever.

Most definitely. I've certainly seen little competition outside of AJ Styles (what? He power-bombed Abyss!). At least, he was good at slamming big guys. He's certainly no John Cena or Brock Lesnar. From what I've seen, his opponents definitely gave him a little assistance in making him look strong. I mean being stupid by letting their momentum carry them, before you argue kayfabe.

Does Taz count as a cruiserweight? He was probably shorter.

But there were heavyweights stronger than him. But the rub is that none of the heavyweights who were stronger than El Canek were also as quick and agile as he was.

They must have been some damn slow heavyweights. Yokozuna - or whatever he was called at the time - seemed be as quick. His sense of timing was just shit.

That's because he's the only one who can write the storyline, Sammy.

Kayfabe. Not to mention, I thought it was Vince Russo who wrote TNA in its entirety. Has the internets lied to me!?

Again, I am not discrediting Jarrett as a talented mid-card performer.

Are you calling Kurt Angle midcard?

El Canek is. AND he has boxing and MMA success.

Did he incorporate MMA into his style? And I'm talking Samoa Joe style, not just Undertaker/keep-your-hands-up style.

He was better-than-average, I'll never deny that.

Jarrett was a superb heel and a great all-around wrestler. He was just under appreciated.

Well, maybe this will help:

That was the bit where you posted about large crowds for if/when you reply. And, like Tastycles has pointed out, I think "foreign superstars" are the key words.

I'd also like to point out:

I'm absolutely certain that's misleading. The wins over those guys, that is. You have to take into consideration the point of the careers those guys were in. The Yokozuna win has already been discredited.

The choice is simple.

Yeah, it's El Canek or Jeff Jarrett. Who couldn't get their head around that system?

El Canek over Jarrett.

Jarrett over El Canek.

Folks, don't allow people like Sam and Shocky to blind you with ethnocentrism,

Don't allow people like IC and, um, Tastycles to blind you with anti-ethnocentrism - i.e. making you believe someone was good and you automatically believing them because they're not from round here and you've seen hardly any of their matches.

or discount an entire country's wrestling lineage.

SlyFox would do it. Why wouldn't you?

The facts are irrefutable,

There's more to life than facts, says the Atheist. Particularly when you bend the facts. You know Jarrett's facts. You should rightly be impressed. IC has the great position of being able to fill in the blanks as he pleases.

and if you need me to re-post them or highlight them, just look to my previous post:

Very impressive. Does it relate to the match or the tournament? I'd argue not.

What you should do is this. Watch an El Canek match. If you believe the man in that match (El Canek, not his opponent) could beat Jeff Jarrett with a regional advantage that I assure you, you should take into account, then vote for him.

I think Canek should win here,

Boo.

but not for the reasons that IC is saying.

Yay, I guess. Anything that isn't against Jarrett, I'll use for ammunition.

First and foremost, you cannot use the booking argument against Jeff Jarrett, because Canek booked his own matches at UWA.

Holy shit. Thanks for that one. The dirty, cheating so-and-so.

Secondly, UWA was the number two promotion to EMLL and then the number three behind AAA and CMLL.

Did EMLL disappear? If I've got my maths right, that makes it number four.

The reason it failed in part was because nobody wanted to see Canek versus the foreingers anymore.

This is some good ammo. Armor-piercing, if you will. Or even if you won't.

Canek should win for a number of reasons:

Oh, so now you're on his side. I see how it is.

1. Canek and Jeff Jarrett are about the same size. Canek is dogshit against people that are significantly smaller than him, but Jarrett isn't.

He's slightly lighter than El Canek - in 2009 shape. Jarrett is hardly that trim either.

Jarrett is weaker than Canek, and isn't exactly renown for his pace either.

1) I reckon if his opponents gave him a run-up and wobbled around conveniently, Jarrett could throw them around just as easily.

2) From what I've seen, Jarrett is quicker than El Canek. So, not renowned for his pace, but still faster.

Jarrett is pretty much an all rounder, whereas Canek has an obvious attribute: his strength.

Also, his lack of speed and agility. Don't forget that.

There is nothing Jarrett has that would subdue Canek,

1) A plywood guitar? What? It lays everyone out. DQ is on? Yeah, it's usually on when Jarrett uses it to win.

2) Figure four. Unless El Canek's legs turn out to be made of steel.

3) The Stroke. It's a finisher. It finishes people. It can damn sure be used on El Canek. Christ knows he won't be able to roll through, the fat bastard.

so Canek would outmuscle him to victory.

Outmuscle him?

2. Jeff Jarrett's title wins shouldn't be compared to Canek's title wins, but his lucha de apuestas record.

They really shouldn't be compared to anything. Even CCS recognises that title reigns can't be compared. Edge's wins have been absolute shite (from a kayfabe point of view). I bet he gets far though.

3. Canek would have the crowd on his side- The Southern Californian crowds get behind Mexican wrestlers, and I see no reason why they wouldn't here. Canek was always good at working a crowd, and using the momentum to his advantage, and he'd do that here.

Great. Jarrett's a natural heel. He feeds off the crowd's hate. The more El Canek gets them onside, the more effective Jarrett is.

4. Canek's finisher is actually good, he gorilla presses them into a backbreaker. The move is rarely countered, because once lifted above his head, there is nothing they can do.

Except roll off.

Jarrett 's finisher is the Stroke, something that can easily be powered out of, and Canek has the advantage here.

The Stroke is always reversed. But it's also always inevitably hit.

5. And I hate this argument, but it works on some people. Ignoring the big named foreign people, Canek has beaten all of the Mexican wrestlers that have beaten Jarrett when he competed in AAA.

Irrelevant. This is Jarrett in his prime. Jarrett Prime, if you will.

As I said, I hate chains of victory

Then why are you bringing it up?

By no means is Canek as good as IC will have you believe, but I do think that in a one on one match in Los Angeles, Canek would pick up the victory.

In a one-on-one match in WCW, Jarrett would win. El Canek has one slim advantage - strength. It's hardly as if Jarrett has never faced anyone stronger than himself.

What a peverse 3 sided argument this has turned into. I don't have time to answer every point so I'm going to do a Slyfox cherry pick and argue against the most pressing points.

Really, it depends on your interpretation of the rules. Well, of wrestling even. If you think being in a certain place, with a certain type of atmosphere, with certain fans or a certain type of... colour theme makes a difference then, well, it makes a difference here. I know that people have and will bring it up in relation to Hogan, Goldberg and Sting.

Well, you have a WCW ring, but it isn't the WCW promotion and booking, just the arena. The WCW ring was characterised by the ropes being set up for cruiserweights to jump off. It doesn't really concern either wrestler here, so the ring is of no advantage. If you look at the location of this match, it is in Los Angeles, which has a high Mexican demographic. The crowd would be more into Canek than they would Jarrett, so any advantage in the location is firmly Canek's.

Force-fed is a bit harsh. Fact of the matter is, a lot of people will vote for El Canek without knowing who he is or even because of it.

"I don't know who he is, but shit, these guys seem to like him and I never cared much for Jarrett."

Well more fool them for being sheep, but the point of these tournaments is to open people's eyes to other wrestlers. You've said yourself that you didn't care for Dean Malenko until watching his matches after one of these tournaments. If people blindly vote for who IC is backing, that's ******ed, but if they look at his arguments and then read about or watch Canek and decide they like him too, then they are doing the right thing.

To be fair, I'll gladly put the NWA, AWA, ROH and even ECW in the same boat.

So by your estimation, nobody beore about 1990, when NWA and AWA stopped mattering, is important? Lou Thesz and Andre the Giant may as well get their gear together to go home now then.

Hmm, maybe what his work meant. Definitely not his actual work. I still fail to see what was so special about him. The only reason I can see why Mexican fans would like him, a cumbersome little guy, is for the same reason we like agile big guys. And in Japan they just like big American guys. It's something different. So why not?

He's not that small to be honest, he's bigger than Jarrett. He was popular for the same reason that just about every popular wrestler is: because he could work a crowd up.

I sincerely doubt that. I also still don't think the "title vs. title" argument holds any water. Actually looking at how the wrestlers compare in the ring, that's how this should be done.

Exactly! And in this instance Jarrett is a solid all rounder. Anything Canek gives to him in pace is more than made up for in his superior strength. Canek loses to speed demons and Vader. That's about it. Technically they are similar, but Canek would be able to overpower Jarrett and win.

He was strong. However, because his speed didn't compensate for his size, that's more of a disadvantage than anything.

He was stronger than he was slow, if you see what I mean. Jarrett might be quicker than him, but not by enough so that he'd have ring run around him. Jarrett is slower than Owen Hart, and Canek managed to disspatch him quite easily.

Most definitely. I've certainly seen little competition outside of AJ Styles (what? He power-bombed Abyss!). At least, he was good at slamming big guys. He's certainly no John Cena or Brock Lesnar. From what I've seen, his opponents definitely gave him a little assistance in making him look strong. I mean being stupid by letting their momentum carry them, before you argue kayfabe.

Perhaps, but the advantage that Andre gave him in letting him slam him is probably compensated by the fact that Jeff Jarrett is about 300 pounds lighter. What am I doing? We're British. 22 stone lighter.

Does Taz count as a cruiserweight? He was probably shorter.

He probably does. Even so, Canek was stronger.

They must have been some damn slow heavyweights. Yokozuna - or whatever he was called at the time - seemed be as quick. His sense of timing was just shit.

To be fair Kokina was the more standard Samoan kind of guy than Yokozuna: Built like a brick shithouse and surprisingly fast.

Did he incorporate MMA into his style? And I'm talking Samoa Joe style, not just Undertaker/keep-your-hands-up style.

It depends. In Mexico heels are brawlers and faces are technical wrestlers. His MMA stuff came more into play early and later in his career when he was a heel.

Jarrett was a superb heel and a great all-around wrestler. He was just under appreciated.

I'm not sure I'd use the word superb. Good. But not superb. Canek matches him technically, honestly, and Jarrett was nowhere near as good a heel as Canek was a face. The reason people think Canek is good is because he got crowds behind him.

Yeah, it's El Canek or Jeff Jarrett. Who couldn't get their head around that system?

Did EMLL disappear? If I've got my maths right, that makes it number four.

EMLL became CMLL around the same time that AAA sprouted into existence.

This is some good ammo. Armor-piercing, if you will. Or even if you won't.

I will. But remember he stopped drawing after his prime, so you can't really use it.

Oh, so now you're on his side. I see how it is.

I am, but for the right reasons. I'd like to think I've proven that I know enough about Canek to have an honest opinion of him. I haven't even done one gay sex act on IC!

He's slightly lighter than El Canek - in 2009 shape. Jarrett is hardly that trim either.

Like I said, basically the same size.

1) I reckon if his opponents gave him a run-up and wobbled around conveniently, Jarrett could throw them around just as easily.

Bollocks.

[/quote]2) From what I've seen, Jarrett is quicker than El Canek. So, not renowned for his pace, but still faster.[/quote]

But not so fast that he will overwhelm Canek. To beat Canek, you can do two things. Firstly, you can be Japanese, beat him once by fluke and then be beaten comprehensively a few weeks later. Secondly, you can be Vader. Thirdly you can be fast. And I mean proper Luchador fast, and even then you have to be on top of your game.

1) A plywood guitar? What? It lays everyone out. DQ is on? Yeah, it's usually on when Jarrett uses it to win.

I can't say anything to that, but I hate the "well he'd win by cheating" argumennt, Jarrett gets DQed for using the guitar all of the time, so maybe Canek wins by DQ.

2) Figure four. Unless El Canek's legs turn out to be made of steel.

Fair enough. He would probably power out of it, but it's Jarrett's best chance.

3) The Stroke. It's a finisher. It finishes people. It can damn sure be used on El Canek. Christ knows he won't be able to roll through, the fat bastard.

You realise that Mexican wrestlers aren't fat, and that that is what you look like if you wrestle an don't take supplements. The Stroke does finish people,
but it is easy to get out of before it's applied, especially by a man who is as strong ass Canek.

Outmuscle him?

Yes, use his superior strength to gain victory.

They really shouldn't be compared to anything. Even CCS recognises that title reigns can't be compared. Edge's wins have been absolute shite (from a kayfabe point of view). I bet he gets far though.

Fine, I'll stop all talk of title, mask and hair matches if everyone plays fair and does it too.

Great. Jarrett's a natural heel. He feeds off the crowd's hate. The more El Canek gets them onside, the more effective Jarrett is.

And the more effective Canek is. That's why he was a great face.

Except roll off.

SANTO6.jpg

This is Konnan, a man who was then as heavy as Jarrett being lifted above Canek's head. If he rolls off, he will fall 7 feet to the floor. Sometimes Canek just does that, he doesn't need the backbreaker part.

The Stroke is always reversed.

Exactly, what if he only gets one shot.

Then why are you bringing it up?

Because some people are swayed by mongoloid arguments.

In a one-on-one match in WCW, Jarrett would win. El Canek has one slim advantage - strength. It's hardly as if Jarrett has never faced anyone stronger than himself.

Nein, Jarretthas the slim advantage: pace. Canek has a huge advanage in strength. They are about equal on the technical side of things. Canek wins this.

I've never really been a fan of Jeff Jarrett overall, but he's pretty decent in the ring. To me, Jarrett is a main eventer that never should have been elevated to that level. He just doesn't have the stuff. Now, whether or not he deserves it is a different matter. The point is, he did make it and is a multi-time world champion.

El Canek is legendary throughout several countries but his impact in the United States has been nil. I admit that he's a very well rounded wrestler; he's got good in ring skills and a great deal of physical strength. Among his biggest claims to fame is defeating Lou Thesz for the UWA World Heavyweight Championship. As great and legendary as Thesz was, I don't know if that's really something to brag about seeing as how Thesz was 62 years old at the time Canek beat him. In spite of the fact that Thesz kept himself in good physical condition his entire life, he was nowhere near his physical prime. If he'd done it in his prime, I'd give the match to Canek hands down.

I think that this would be much closer than some want it to be, but I'm gonna give the slight edge to Jarrett.

No more direct replies. This takes too long.

Well, you have a WCW ring, but it isn't the WCW promotion and booking, just the arena.

A promotion is just a ring, an arena and booking. The ring and arena are there, and the booking comes intact with Jarrett thanks to the precedent he set.

If you look at the location of this match, it is in Los Angeles, which has a high Mexican demographic. The crowd would be more into Canek than they would Jarrett, so any advantage in the location is firmly Canek's.

I appreciate you're cherry picking, but I did say that Jarrett is a natural heel. Correction: a superb natural heel. He feeds off the crowd cheering for the other guy. Either that, or he just doesn't give a shit.

Well more fool them for being sheep, but the point of these tournaments is to open people's eyes to other wrestlers. You've said yourself that you didn't care for Dean Malenko until watching his matches after one of these tournaments.

Dean Malenko is the shit though. El Canek isn't. At the very least, he's a Marmite wrestler.

If people blindly vote for who IC is backing, that's ******ed, but if they look at his arguments and then read about or watch Canek and decide they like him too, then they are doing the right thing.

Well, obviously. I sincerely doubt that's what a lot of them will do though.

So by your estimation, nobody beore about 1990, when NWA and AWA stopped mattering, is important?

Nope. I just put them in the boat of "I haven't seen much of that, but I'll gladly vote for it". I've just avoided the matches so far where I haven't had a clue who one of the guys is.

Lou Thesz and Andre the Giant may as well get their gear together to go home now then.

Well yeah, but that's because nobody will vote for them, not because they're unimportant. Actually, maybe Andre will get votes.

He's not that small to be honest, he's bigger than Jarrett.

Same height, but a chunky fucker.

He was popular for the same reason that just about every popular wrestler is: because he could work a crowd up.

He's Mexican. Don't lie.

He was stronger than he was slow, if you see what I mean.

I think I do. I'd say he was as slow as he was strong.

Jarrett is slower than Owen Hart, and Canek managed to dispatch him quite easily.

Owen Hart wasn't in the same league as Jarrett. Well, Jarrett Prime. Maybe he could have been, had he not, y'know, died.

Perhaps, but the advantage that Andre gave him in letting him slam him is probably compensated by the fact that Jeff Jarrett is about 300 pounds lighter. What am I doing? We're British. 22 stone lighter.

Making Jarrett's weight irrelevant. Canek can slam big guys. Fantastic. He could probably slam Jarrett even if he couldn't slam big guys. Vice versa.

He probably does. Even so, Canek was stronger.

But Taz was better at using leverage.

To be fair Kokina was the more standard Samoan kind of guy than Yokozuna: Built like a brick shithouse and surprisingly fast.

He nearly passed out from missing two punches, the fat bastard. I could have beaten him.

I'm not sure I'd use the word superb. Good. But not superb.

When you get people rioting, I'd call you a superb heel.

Canek matches him technically, honestly, and Jarrett was nowhere near as good a heel as Canek was a face. The reason people think Canek is good is because he got crowds behind him.

Or, rather, because his opponents got the crowds against them.

I will. But remember he stopped drawing after his prime, so you can't really use it.

Oh good. A lot of people will come to see him get a guitar broken over his face.

I haven't even done one gay sex act on IC!

Yeah, sure.

Bollocks.

What's the opposite of bollocks? Ah, yes. Not bollocks.

But not so fast that he will overwhelm Canek.

Yes, but enough to have a slight advantage. Wrestling is more about who has the faster reactions than who can push the other guy away in a lock-up.

To beat Canek, you can do two things. Firstly, you can be Japanese, beat him once by fluke and then be beaten comprehensively a few weeks later. Secondly, you can be Vader. Thirdly you can be fast. And I mean proper Luchador fast, and even then you have to be on top of your game.

To beat Jarrett, you can do... let me count them. You can be Hogan, and he'll lie down. Alternatively, you can have Kitty Pryde's (of the X-Men) powers, and phase through a guitar.

I can't say anything to that, but I hate the "well he'd win by cheating" argumennt, Jarrett gets DQed for using the guitar all of the time, so maybe Canek wins by DQ.

Does he? I'm sure it happens, but I remember him being successful a lot more times than not.

Fair enough. He would probably power out of it, but it's Jarrett's best chance.

It's a leg sweep. You can't power out of a leg sweep.

You realise that Mexican wrestlers aren't fat

Then El Canek's the only one?

and that that is what you look like if you wrestle an don't take supplements

Chubby?

The Stroke does finish people,

Yes. Yes, it does.

but it is easy to get out of before it's applied, especially by a man who is as strong ass Canek.

"Strong ass Canek"? Creepy. Like I said, it's not about strength.

Yes, use his superior strength to gain victory.

Never happens in wrestling. Unless you're Hernandez. Strong as he may be, I wouldn't call El Canek a power wrestler.

Fine, I'll stop all talk of title, mask and hair matches if everyone plays fair and does it too.

You know Jarrett won the WCW title four times?

SANTO6.jpg

This is Konnan, a man who was then as heavy as Jarrett being lifted above Canek's head. If he rolls off, he will fall 7 feet to the floor. Sometimes Canek just does that, he doesn't need the backbreaker part.

Dude should land on his feet. Also, I just see a box.

Exactly, what if he only gets one shot.

He always gets more than one shot.

Because some people are swayed by mongoloid arguments.

Obviously.

Nein, Jarretthas the slim advantage: pace. Canek has a huge advanage in strength.

"Huge" is an overstatement. Not only that, but Jarrett doesn't rely on moves that you can simply power out of. And - just like any good heel - he's great at leading the face on. A big advantage if your opponent is as slow as El Canek.

They are about equal on the technical side of things. Canek wins this.

Hell naw. Time to tap.

Jake's video was very interesting. It showed pretty much a Hogan-esque formula. Namely get the high holy crap kicked out of you by Owen Hart, hit two moves, boom, over.

Now IC, if you're telling me that El Canek deserved to win the match vs Owen because of his power and dominance, then I call bullshit.

Owen Hart was hurling that Mexican around like a rag doll and inflicting all manner of pain on the guy. Yet a 'rana and a running Senton from a 240lb man finished him? For someone who has insisted booking has no weight, that's a whole lotta booking to put him over Owen there.

Now, connect the dots time, Canek fights Owen, who later tags with JJ. Given Owen is in this tourney, I'm sure he'd give JJ a pointer on what to avoid. How's that for Kayfabe?

Jake's video was very interesting. It showed pretty much a Hogan-esque formula. Namely get the high holy crap kicked out of you by Owen Hart, hit two moves, boom, over.

Now IC, if you're telling me that El Canek deserved to win the match vs Owen because of his power and dominance, then I call bullshit.

Owen Hart was hurling that Mexican around like a rag doll and inflicting all manner of pain on the guy. Yet a 'rana and a running Senton from a 240lb man finished him? For someone who has insisted booking has no weight, that's a whole lotta booking to put him over Owen there.

Now, connect the dots time, Canek fights Owen, who later tags with JJ. Given Owen is in this tourney, I'm sure he'd give JJ a pointer on what to avoid. How's that for Kayfabe?

But you just said that Owen didn't see the two major moves coming, right? So what's Owen's advice to Jeff gonna be? I can hear the conversation now:

Owen: "Hey man, this guy's gonna try and surprise you with big moves. Don't let him."

Jeff: "That is totally useless you tit. You should be the Blue Blazer again."

Owen: "Okay!"

You get my drift?

Canek was about as fast as Owen, and three tmes stronger.

Plus, as Tastycles has pointed out, Canek, in addition to being outrageously talented and athletic, was also a master at working a crowd. Owen with the upper hand leading to the Canek comeback and finish is a tired and true Hogan formula for crowd response, and Canek always had it.

PWC, on a side note, Owen also teamed up with Yokozuna. DO you know how that Jarrett talk went?

Owen: "Oh, by the way, Yokozuna said 'don't let him bodyslam you.'"

Jeff: "This fucker BODYSLAMED him!?"

Owen: "Yeah, Andre too. I thought you knew that."

Jeff: "I'm screwed...where's Russo?"

El Canek to me, seems to be the Mexican Jerry Lawler. He dominated his promotion like no other. All of those world titles are well and good, but Jarrett has been successful in multiple promotions. JJ has battled the nWo and knocked Hogan out of TNA before Hogan even wrestled a match.

El Canek can claim all the gold he wants in a third rate Mexican promotion. He can beat whoever he wants with home field advantage. Come to America, Canek, and you will get stomped. You think you're strong? JJ has wrestled stronger men, and won.

JJ is a multiple time World Champion, while El Canek dominated Mexico's Memphis.

Dude, UWA was Mexico's WCW. #2 behind AAA. Memphis is like the equivalent of "Tijuana Hardcore Wrestling" in Mexico. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Canek's victories and defenses in Mexico drew more than an average Monday Night Raw. And he drew in Mexico AND Japan.

Pity you wasted your vote so quickly. Jarrett, a paper champion who's presence on a show shows a direct correlation to that promotion's decline, vs. an international legend.

Yeah, I voted before I read your plea. I questioned my vote a bit, but all in all, I would still go with Jarrett. I think Jarrett's title reigns outweigh Canek's.

I am under the impression that we are supposed to ignore kayfabe in this tournament. So I ignored that Jarrett can make himself champion whenever he wants. I also ignored that Canek's victories over in legends in Mexico were booked as main events to send the crowd home happy and that he would never beat Hogan in a televised PPV.

Dude, UWA was Mexico's WCW. #2 behind AAA. Memphis is like the equivalent of "Tijuana Hardcore Wrestling" in Mexico. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Canek's victories and defenses in Mexico drew more than an average Monday Night Raw. And he drew in Mexico AND Japan.

Pity you wasted your vote so quickly. Jarrett, a paper champion who's presence on a show shows a direct correlation to that promotion's decline, vs. an international legend.

Now IC, you can't honestly expect people to believe that Jarrett was the reason why WCW went out of business. It had nothing to do with the major stars of the company all but either retiring, leaving, or being injured around that time. It had nothing to do with essentially the exodus of big mid card wrestlers (Giant, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero) all within a year of each other. It had nothing to do with the company getting handed over to Hart, only for him to get injured by Greenberg at Starrcade. Then Greenberg injuring himself by breaking a window of a Limo. Plus guys like Savage, Flair, Hogan all taking a step back. There are many things to dislike Jarrett about, but insinuating that he was the reason WCW went under isn't one of them.

Yeah, I voted before I read your plea. I questioned my vote a bit, but all in all, I would still go with Jarrett. I think Jarrett's title reigns outweigh Canek's.

I posted this in response to Shocky's shameless attempt to degrade the UWA Title Reigns:

I am under the impression that we are supposed to ignore kayfabe in this tournament. So I ignored that Jarrett can make himself champion whenever he wants. I also ignored that Canek's victories over in legends in Mexico were booked as main events to send the crowd home happy and that he would never beat Hogan in a televised PPV.

Few places aside from the US had PPV Events anyway. And Hogan was indeed too marketable for Canek to beat him in the US on PPV. Jarrett, on the other hand was just marketable enough to lose the IC Title to Chyna in a Good Housekeeping match on PPV.

Canek did beat men like Hogan, Andre, Vader, Inoki, etc. in both Japan and Mexico, where those 4 men were also as big as or bigger than they were in the US. Inoki especially.

OK, IC you convinced me. Is there a way to change my vote?

I was never a big Jarrett fan anyway. I keep wanting to type Jericho once I get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back