WCW in 2001

K

kane45

Do you guys think there was any way around WCW going out of bussiness in the year 2001. Do you think that were still ways for WCW to rise to the top. What would you have done with the promotion in 2001 to compete with the WWF.

Nope, most fans had given up on WCW by then. The year 2000 just snuffed WCW all the stupid storylines and egos. WCW kept around too many old vets that wouldn't and couldn't admit that they couldn't draw anymore even though somebody in WCW actually thought they could. WCW started to try and did make some moderate stars but it was too late. Even most of the people in WCW knew it was ging down. Just grab the book "Death of WCW" I have it. It's a great book and tells all the inside details and whatnot a the rise and fall of WCW.

The first bullet to WCW's death was having Goldberg lose the Title so soon especially to Nash who had a reputation as to not have pushed the young stars. WCW should have kept with Goldberg because he was VERY popular. That and all that crappy Vince Russo, David Arquette crap.

If WCW continued on the path they were going (which in my opinion was good) they would have definately risen back to the top on a count of the talent WWE now has. They were starting to make stars out of younger or less established stars to give WCW a new look but stay true to the WCW guys. If WCW would have stayed alive we would most liely have instead of Hogan, Savage, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, and all the other guys they shoved down our throats(which I didnt mind cause I admit I loved everything WCW did...can you say mark? lol). We would have seen Booker T, Scott Steiner, Chris Benoit(if he would have stayed that pansy lol) Sting, Goldberg, Lex Luger, Rick Steiner, DDP and other (excluding the "Still worth something" guys like Goldberg, DDP, and Sting) unestablished but familiar faces. I personally hate the way Vince handled this whole situation but HEY....What did you expect that bitch to do?

lets face it
wcw was always number 2
Um, how so? During 1996, and maybe up until late 1997/early 1998, WCW was by far the number one promotion. The storylines were better, more intriguing, and they left you every week with a cliffhanger, making you want to tune in the following week. They also had the better wrestling talent in people like Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero etc. There's a reason they beat the WWF in the ratings for some 80 odd weeks in a row.

a lot of people do not like wwe , bceause it became simply crap
and to prove the point you can see how TNA is rising up
TNA is not like wcw, its more like ecw
except ecw was better....and more exciting
i mean what the heck is black machismo...
or that undertaker rip off that is completely redicolous
plus that guy that speaks to his god is like a children's
yet they have a bunch of fans...which proves there is a market

What has TNA got to do with WCW 2001, apart from sharing a few wrestlers and a booker?

the reason wwf was better bcause vince created what the wwf
is today due to his passion of wrestling
What the WWE is today isn't what it was 10 years ago. Or 5 for that matter. Vince even stated on the new Shawn Michaels DVD that he didn't like DX, nor did he like their everyday antics, and it's thanks to Shawn Michaels doing what he wanted around this time, which got the fans on their side. Once Vince saw how popular they was and how the fans liked it, he liked it.

So for that alone, one of the biggest factors in the turning point of the Monday Night Wars wasn't Vince's creation or idea at all, nor did he even like it.

wcw was more like a business
they just wanted money-management wise, they dont care about
the wrestling industry...and to prove it, ted turner never went back to wrestling...and never had wrestling before...he thought wcw would be nice to have as an asset.
How does Ted Turner not going back to wrestling prove he didn't care about it, and all he wanted was money? (I'm not saying you're wrong in that he didn't care and wanted money, but the reason you gave was stupid).

One thing that took wcw down is its wrestling matches....
they had good characters like goldberg, sting, kevin nash, booker t,
the giant....it was all good...but the action was bad...
The WCW did have great wrestling matches. Their cruiserweight division was their main attraction towards good, entertaining wrestling matches. People like Goldberg and Kevin Nash were just the money makers.

And Booker T had some brilliant matches in WCW. Just watch his best of 7 series with Benoit.

Um, how so? During 1996, and maybe up until late 1997/early 1998, WCW was by far the number one promotion. The storylines were better, more intriguing, and they left you every week with a cliffhanger, making you want to tune in the following week. They also had the better wrestling talent in people like Benoit, Malenko, Guerrero etc. There's a reason they beat the WWF in the ratings for some 80 odd weeks in a row.
EXACTLY! Jim Ross and many people admitted in the "Monday Night War" dvd that they were close to being bankrupt after Bret left the WWF and if it wasn't for Stone Cold and the Austin 3:16 era they would've been finished. Wrestling right now is total garbage compared to the days of Nitro vs Raw / WCW vs WWF... man how i miss those glory days when Monday was my favorite day of the week.

And in front of us now we have the slow demise of mainstream wrestling. From someone who currently is only a casual viewer of both tna and wwe I can honestly say I hope some sort of competition amongst them will result in a better product.

Personally, I loved W.C.W. toward the end. I thought the New Blood was a unique & great way to split the company into two halves. It was straight down the middle, nothing was hardly in between & it involved everyone.

A lot of people hated the New Blood, as it was a rip off of the n.W.o. gimmick, which is true.. but dammit, to me it worked. I dispised watching W.C.W. when they had matches like "Van Hammer v. Rick Steiner" & "Buff Bagwell v. Roddy Piper: Boxing match."

When the New Blood was brought in, when Russo & Bischoff teamed up.. we seen a ton of great things, from the stripping of every Championship & a new beginning.. to great matches on Nitro & Thunder. Every t.v. show was very well done, with tons of gimmick matches & huge profile matches.

I was completely shocked to find out that it was doing so horribly in ratings & making money.. because to me, the last year was perhaps one of its best since 1998. 1999-April 2000 sucked majorly, because it had no direction.

Also, didn't Ted Turner just give up on it? Eric Bischoff could've completely ran the company well.. if only he had the funds.. but because his "pocketbook" (Turner) wasn't there, it was basically a glorified version of E.C.W., without the passion.

Vince McMahon did the best thing by buying out the company before it went into debt, but at the same time he ruined wrestling for years thereafter, because he no longer had to "try" when it came to storylines.

Today is a new day though, & with the inception of T.N.A., McMahon really has to start trying again. Granted, T.N.A. has tons of financial issues, but they're giving W.W.E. the rivalry that McMahon secretly wants.

If you haven't read Glen Gilbertti's article about how WCW execs never wanted WCW, then that should be the easy answer. The second Ted Turner lost power in Time Warner, then AOL/Time Warner, WCW was toast, no matter what. TNT and TBS execs hated wrestling and wanted nothing to do with it.

WCW was doomed to fail before they even aired on Monday Nights. The only reason they succeeded was because of the nWo, that's it. They were able to ride that wave for close to three years before it caught up with them. After that, they had nothing. None of their young stars were ready for the big time because they had been buried for years. The fans were watching merely out of loyalty, but no one was buying the PPVs as shown by the abysmal buyrates after 1999. No one, I repeat NO ONE was over and they had no chance to get over.

Through downloads I got a chance to see what WCW was doing on Monday Nights from mid-1999 to their demise and the one thing that kept going through my mind was "What is actually happening here?" They did things that you would expect but nothing actually happened. It was like reading the back of a movie box over and over again without actually getting to the meat of the movie. No backstories, no real feuds, title changes were jokes, and backstage segments couldn't engage any kind of real thought.

WCW died because there was no internal support and no one figure head where the buck stopped. In the WWE, the buck stops with Vince McMahon, period. In WCW, it kinda stopped at Bischoff but if somebody else wanted to change something, it happened.

I was a huge WCW fan and i would watch WCW anytime i could which wasnt alot over here in England, but i think by 2000 the ship was way on the way to the bottom of the ocean. I think WCW had such a quick rise to success it was hard to keep up with the demand and peak it got in the 90's. And i think Bischoff lost interest and once Raw starting beating Nitro, Turner lost interest, and most importantly most of the WCW fans lost interest. End of WCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back