• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was there a UFC 148-reference in the mixed tagteam match on Raw?

Archrival

Dark Match Jobber
If I'm not mistaken both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are big fans of MMA. With that in mind I noticed a spot between Punk and Bryan in the mixed tagteam match on Raw yesterday, that to me seemed like a reference to the UFC 148 match between Silva and Sonnen. It was the spot where Punk does a spinning backhand punch that missed a ducking Bryan and makes Punk fall down to his knees in the corner, which Bryan takes advantage of by driving a knee into Punks chest. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but to me that short spot seemed like a subtle hommage to what happened in the Silva-Sonnen fight.

Someone else in these forums who picked up the same vibe about that perticular spot? Feel free to answer if that's the case. Have a nice day, folks.

Yeah it was. Punk and Sonnen are very close friends. It was basically identical to what happened in the real fight and honestly one of the only parts of this horrendous Raw that I actually liked. As much as I am a Chael Sonnen fan, I couldn't help but laugh at that spot.

If I'm not mistaken both CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are big fans of MMA. With that in mind I noticed a spot between Punk and Bryan in the mixed tagteam match on Raw yesterday, that to me seemed like a reference to the UFC 148 match between Silva and Sonnen. It was the spot where Punk does a spinning backhand punch that missed a ducking Bryan and makes Punk fall down to his knees in the corner, which Bryan takes advantage of by driving a knee into Punks chest. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but to me that short spot seemed like a subtle hommage to what happened in the Silva-Sonnen fight.

Someone else in these forums who picked up the same vibe about that perticular spot? Feel free to answer if that's the case. Have a nice day, folks.

Great little animated GIF to show the spot.

http://i.minus.com/i2TiqpJWApPkO.gif

Duh.

John Canton even posted this awesome gif on his FB page. It's totally my new sig. I thought it was a great little spot in the match and I kinda marked out hard.

This is unbelievable. How did you notice this?

No one noticed this. Punk/Bryan did it and they got someone in WWE to start spreding it around the internet. WWE is trying to get the internet behind them.

Its like all the dean ambrose love on here. No one actually likes him, but wwe employees get paid to post how great he is on sites like this.

Yeah it was. Punk and Sonnen are very close friends. It was basically identical to what happened in the real fight and honestly one of the only parts of this horrendous Raw that I actually liked. As much as I am a Chael Sonnen fan, I couldn't help but laugh at that spot.

I wonder if Chael thought it was funny. He wasn't exactly the most easy-going guy ever in the promos leading up to his embarrassing loss. I'm pretty sure he's still pissed off about doing that ******ed spinning punch. Chael should go to WWE now and redeem himself.

I did not pick up on this until I saw this thread. Thanks to the two posters that posted the gifs. Quite frankly, I just find it cool. Punk and Bryan showing appreciation because I certainly do not see it as mocking, especially considering that Punk and Sonnen are close friends as someone mentioned before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back