• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Want to be a basketball coach?

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
Want to be a basketball coach, but don't really know much about the game? Allow me to help.

1) Depending on the level you are coaching, read, learn and understand Bill Green's Match-Up Zone defense. It's a unique defense that you don't see very often, and when utilized properly, can hide team deficiencies.

2) If you are coaching lower levels of basketball (ages 6-11), REALLY hit the fundamentals of basketball. Dribbling with proper form, good passing technique, how to run a fast break, and proper defense technique. DON'T bother with shooting. Kids will be unable to use proper form due to a lack of strength, and no matter how much you practice shooting, it won't improve your performance in a game.

3) If you are coaching ages 6-11, NEVER play a zone. EVER. I know it goes against #1, but kids must learn how to play a man-to-man defense before they can successfully play a zone. Don't be lazy as a coach, teach man-to-man.

4) Don't know how to teach fundamentals? There are 2352346297 different books on it. Just remember that, as the coach, the players won't know any better, and will trust you.

5) Have fun, and make sure your kids have fun. We don't need another Vince Lombardi, we need coaches who care and respect their players, and understand the game is about having fun. Make your players go hard, but have fun.

If you have any other questions about coaching basketball, or general coaching practices, feel free to ask me here. I'll be more than happy to share what I know from my 8 years of coaching.

Actually I coach basketball, and I find that it is beneficial to teach 6-11 year olds zone first. Especially if you are trying to win. First practice I always teach Zone, and man to man defense. The young kids pick up zone the easiest so I usually play all zone the first two games. Then I start switching to man to man defense slowly.

Well...the point of the game may be to win, but at that age its more about having fun. 11+ is, in my mind, where they start getting more and more competitive. Unless you've got one of those "Number 1" kinda of families that push winning as the holy grail.

Actually I coach basketball, and I find that it is beneficial to teach 6-11 year olds zone first.
No, it's EASIER to teach zone, because kids that age can't shoot the ball outside of 10 feet.

Especially if you are trying to win.
Winning is not important at that age, fundamentals and proper technique is. Winning at age 7 is no where near as important as winning at age 17 and 18. And above.

First practice I always teach Zone, and man to man defense. The young kids pick up zone the easiest so I usually play all zone the first two games. Then I start switching to man to man defense slowly.
Of course they pick it up easiest, because the rules are simple...guard an area, not a man. Kids that age want to run to the ball all the time, and it's easier to tell them to be in one spot than with one offensive player.

But, good zones work because of good man-to-man fundamentals. Take all the intricacies of a good zone, and what do you have? Core man-to-man principles. Always having a man on ball, rotation on offside, rebounding, shading offenses to a certain side...it's all man-to-man principles. The only difference is that you have an area to defend, and not a man.

I firmly believe against teaching zone at a young age. I understand how it's easy to fall into the "well, it's easy and successful" line of thinking. I just think they will be served better, later on, to have man-to-man fundamentals taught at the early age.

After all, like you said, it's much easier to teach zone than man. So, when they get older, wouldn't it be beneficial to already be a good man-to-man team and then put in a zone?

Im assuming that you went to college for coaching, what exactly did you major in? I've heard people say that its kinesiology, some say physical education, ive heard many others as well.

I also hear that you have to minor in an educational subject such as math, history, etc. I've also heard that you don't need to minor in those at all. I'm going to college for coaching myself, and im pretty sure kinesiology is the way to go in major, but minor wise I am clueless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back