Vitor Belfort In The UFC?

Marquis

So Dana mentioned during The Ultimate Fighter Finale in his interview with Amir that he wanted Vitor in the UFC middleweight division. Now i know some took it as Vitor being signed, but last time i checked he was still scheduled to fight Jorge Santiago at Affliction Trilogy. So i took this as Dana showing interest in signing Vitor, well assuming he wins his next fight. Don't think Dana would want to sign Vitor if he loses to Santiago at Trilogy. Although Vitor has been on a win streak lately, his only real credible opponent was Lindland(who he destroyed) since his lose to Henderson. So i would love to see this new and improved Vitor against the MW pool in the UFC, to see how much hes actually improved. Your thoughts on Vitor joining the ufc?

Don't really have any. Don't really know who he is. Educate me.

Actually, never mind. I'll Wikipedia him. Right back.

OK, so he's a 32-year-old ex-UFC light heavyweight champion? The prospect of seeing him back in the UFC doesn't thrill me, but then again, the prospect of many people in the UFC wouldn't thrill me. I also don't really watch the UFC. All the same, he sounds past it and the sort that would lose his supposed comeback fight.

I don't actually know anything, obviously.

Sam, Vitor Belfort is only one of the greatest Mixed Martial Artist in history, when he's on the top of his game that is. He's known mostly for having what is perhaps the fastest hand speed anyone in the sport has ever had. Below is a tribute to him. Watch @ 4:31 how he absolutely destroys Wanderlei Silva in just a few seconds. It's unbelievable.

[youtube]UNvfTjMJqEE[/youtube]

Anyway, I'm ecstatic about this. Vitor's one of my all time favorite fighters and I would love to hear he's getting a big paycheck coming his way. However, I'm kind of worried that when Vitor does return to the UFC, which version of him shows up? Seriously, let's just say Vitor is given a title shot against Anderson Silva when he returns:

1/3 of Vitor would quickly and easily decapitate Silva. 1/3 would leave us wondering how he managed to walk into the cage. And 1/3 would at least put up a good, exciting fight.

Hopefully if Vitor does sign back with the UFC, it'd either be that first Vitor or the third. But it does suck that he’s (so far) the most inconsistent fighter of all time. Although, he’s had plenty of legitimate reasons for that...

Who isn't one of your favourite fighters of all time, jmt? No, seriously. Again, I know pretty much fuck all about mixed martial arts, but isn't Anderson Silva considered the greatest pound-for-pound fighter on planet Earth? Surely it will take more than just really quick hands to overcome that?

Who isn't one of your favourite fighters of all time, jmt? No, seriously.

Lol, there are plenty of people I don't like in MMA. But I'll give you my top ten favorites:

Tito Ortiz
Nick Diaz
Randy Couture
BJ Penn
Nate Diaz
Matt Serra
GSP
Vitor Belfort
Takanori Gomi
Anderson Silva

And I'm a big fan of perhaps about 5-8 other more guys. There are just a lot of likeable fighters in the sport.

Again, I know pretty much fuck all about mixed martial arts, but isn't Anderson Silva considered the greatest pound-for-pound fighter on planet Earth? Surely it will take more than just really quick hands to overcome that?

Oh absolutely, but Vitor at his very best is the best striker in MMA. Not only is his hand speed unbelievably tremendous, but his accuracy is pin point as well. If Vitor is all there in the head, I don't think there's anyone in the UFC Middleweight Division who can defeat him, because you have to keep in mind that not only does he have the striking going for him, but he's also a legit black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

The guy is just one of the most talented fighters in the World Sam, take my word for it. If they put him in the Video Game at his very best, I guarantee he's the person you'd select every fight. :icon_razz:

Is that a joke at the expense of all the people that currently pick Anderson Silva on the UFC game? I hope it's not.

If this Vitor guy is as good as you say he is, maybe I'll pay attention if and when he comes back into the UFC. I don't suppose Affliction are that thorough at cleansing YouTube of their material, are they?

Edit: I thought Tito Ortiz was meant to be a bell end?

Is that a joke at the expense of all the people that currently pick Anderson Silva on the UFC game? I hope it's not.

Really, if you're fighting Middleweight in the game, is there anyone else to pick other than Anderson Silva? UFC's Middleweight Division fucking sucks. Vitor would definitely be a breath of fresh air.

If this Vitor guy is as good as you say he is, maybe I'll pay attention if and when he comes back into the UFC. I don't suppose Affliction are that thorough at cleansing YouTube of their material, are they?

Not that I've noticed. I'm sure you could find both of Vitor's fights in Affliction on there. Besides, if not, there's a website that has them all. Hell, they even already have last night's show uploaded already. If you want the link to it, send me a PM.

Edit: I thought Tito Ortiz was meant to be a bell end?

Damn, I was hoping you'd be a Tito fan. The guy afterall did help AJ Styles defeat Jeff Jarrett for the NWA Title a few years ago.

I personally think someone like Vitor stands a good chance against Anderson. First off, i was hoping this MW signing would be Manhoef. Dana has been saying for a couple of weeks now that hes signing a popular MW to the UFC. I think Manhoef would be the perfect fighter to take out Anderson. Anderson is a counter fighter, he needs someone to come to him. And with his track record, most would think if you come forward to him, you'll just be playing into his plan and he'll knock you out. Which is probably true against most fighter, but how about if he faced someone with great hand speed like a Manhoef or a Vitor? Where he wouldn't have enough time to counter? I think an aggressive relentless fighter like Manhoef or Vitor are the only ones who can take Anderson down. Now i think this showdown if it ever were to happen between Manhoef/Vitor Vs. Anderson comes down to one thing, reach. Its obvious Anderson has a long reach advantage. If the reach difference between Anderson and Vitor/Manhoef is too great, then Anderson will just keep them at bay and pick them apart. Anderson is a smart fighter, if the Thales fight showed us anything its that Anderson goes in there to win, not to put on exciting fights. So if his reach is that great compared to theirs, i fully expect him to keep them at bay and pick them apart for the decision. Now no matter what, i think Andrerson will have a reach advantage, but if it isn't that great of a difference. Then i think its highly possible for fighters like Vitor/Manhoef who have great hand speed to be the ones to takedown Anderson.

jmt might come round to my house and castrate me for saying this, but I wasn't overly impressed by Vitor's hand speed in that tribute. Maybe it was just YouTube's shitty framerate. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was pretty damn fast but I'm pretty sure even I've seen faster on a few occasions, and I've watched bugger all MMA.

I think that, on a subconscious level at least, I'm just trying to get a reaction.

You've probably seen boxers punch faster, but i doubt there's very many MMA fighters out there that are faster then Vitor when it comes to hand speed, if any. Certainly not at middleweight. At middleweight there is no one faster then Vitor or Manhoef, but i would give the nod to Vitor in his prime over Manhoef in speed.

[YOUTUBE]F-Ta9eUif-4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Manhoef highlight reel. Couldn't really find any great ones, but this one is alright. Some of these fights don't do him justice since hes gassed in a few of them, but most are a good demonstration of his speed.

I would love to see a Belfort/Silva fight. Just because it would give Silva competion. Silva hasnt been challenged for a while now and that makes him have boring fights. Vitor is a great fighter that definantly has a shot at taking out Anderson. So I'm all for it.

Personally, I'd love to see him back into the UFC, the old Vitor was a monster he destoryed his 3 opponents including a destructive Tank Abbott and Wanderlei Silva in less than 3 minutes.

He is a former Heavyweight Champion, he is also on any good night hard to contian and has some of the fastest hands in the game period.

Been watching his Affliction fights online. Impressive. I wouldn't say I'm a believer, but I'm impressed. His opponents got fucked up and - from what I can tell - he's a more well-rounded fighter than when he was previously in the UFC. A true mixed martial artist, as Frank Trigg put it.

If he does come back to the UFC, I'd like him to have at least one fight before he takes on Anderson Silva. You can't just directly feed your talent into a blender, y'know.

If he does come back to the UFC, I'd like him to have at least one fight before he takes on Anderson Silva. You can't just directly feed your talent into a blender, y'know.

I would agree with you, but the problem is... there's not a Middleweight right now in the UFC that's worthy enough to get a Title shot, outside of Demian Maia, who Dana is probably worried about giving a Title shot to since his style is similar to Thales Leites. And quite frankly, there's no one in the division who can give Anderson Silva a good fight, also. Plus, Vitor Belfort is a name you can cash in on right away, so I'm sure the UFC wouldn't want to risk hurting that by giving Vitor some fight against someone hardly anyone knows.

If Vitor dominates Jorge Santiago like he did his last four opponents, then no one will argue him getting a Title shot in the UFC right a way, not only because he would deserve it, but also because of what I said above.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort will return to the Octagon Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, where he will fight former middleweight champ Rich Franklin.

UFC President Dana White announced the UFC 103 bout Friday during a media conference call. To make the matchup, he nixed a previously announced rematch between Franklin and Dan Henderson.

“The fans didn’t like (Henderson-Franklin), so we’re going to change it,” White said.

Belfort-Franklin will take place at 205 pounds. As for Henderson, White said he is “definitely next in line” for Anderson Silva’s middleweight title. The UFC president said Demian Maia and Nate Marquardt, who meet Aug. 29 at UFC 102, are in the mix.
And now its official that Vitor Belfort is back in the UFC, and will take on Rich Franklin at UFC 103. The signing of Vitor is great and all, but i would have liked him to fight at middleweight, where the division needs some better contenders. Light heavyweight is stacked enough, and at middleweight someone with Vitor's hand speed is who i consider the perfect opponent to end Anderson Silva's reign. Opponents who are to too fast for Anderson to counter. And with the announcing that Henderson is next in line, and winner of Maia and Marquardt in the mix, it looks like Vitor might stay at 205.

As for the actual fight with Franklin. This will be Vitor's first notable fight since his lose to Henderson. Well unless you want to count Lindland. So this fight should show us if Vitor really is back, and better. I'm not sure about him moving up now after looking great at middleweight. For this fight, I say Franklin takes it late 2nd or 3rd round TKO, or decision. Vitor likes to throw straight punches, which I feel with Franklin's superior footwork Franklin can counter. Franklin also works his distance well with his kicks, in which i see him picking Vitor apart. Also Franklin I'm sure has a better gas tank considering Vitor is moving up. So I'll take Franklin to win this one by late TKO, or decision. I like Vitor, but i do believe his return is gonna get spoiled be Franklin.

Very, very excited about this.

Agreed with Marquis though that I don't get why this fight is happening at 205? I understand that Franklin doesn't want to compete at Middleweight at this point in time and that a Vitor/Franklin fight is something everyone wants to see, but why not make this catch weight like the Franklin/Wandy fight? Doesn't make to much sense to me.

But whatever. Still going to be an AWESOME fight nonetheless. I'm going to have to think about it before I predict a winner though, but one thing is for sure... this fight could very well end up being UFC's FOTY and also contain the Knockout of the Year as well. Cannot wait.

First the opponent, now the weight class?

Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin's (25-4 MMA, 12-3 UFC) training plans continue to change, and a recently announced UFC 103 main-event bout with Vitor Belfort (16-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will now take place at a catchweight of 195 pounds instead of the originally announced light heavyweight class.

"Just found out I will be fighting Vitor at a catchweight of 195 (pounds) as per his request," Franklin today posted on his Twitter account.

The catchweight affair will serve as the main event of UFC 103, a pay-per-view card that takes place on Sept. 19 at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Franklin was originally expected to face Dan Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) on the card, but UFC president Dana White today announced the organization had changed plans based on a largely negative reaction to the original main event.

Prior to the recent cancellation of "Affliction: Trilogy," Belfort had been preparing for a middleweight contest with Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago. Prior to the collapse of Affliction and his subsequent signing with the UFC, Belfort had turned down a bout with Gegard Mousasi at 205 pounds. That fact made today's announcement of a light-heavyweight bout between Belfort and Franklin a bit perplexing.

The bout will be Franklin's second-straight contest at 195 pounds. "Ace" defeated Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision at June's UFC 99. Franklin has insisted his future lies at light heavyweight following two defeats at the hands of the current middleweight champ, Anderson Silva. However, Franklin has been open to his employers requests of catchweight contests.

Belfort will be fighting in the UFC for the first time since a split-decision loss to Tito Ortiz at UFC 51 in February 2005. Belfort has compiled a 6-3 record since that time, with the losses coming to Henderson and Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (twice).
Well this fight just went from a light heavyweight bout, to a another catchweight bout at 195. This making Franklin's 2nd fight at 195 in a row, first being Wanderlei.

So apparently Vitor asked for this fight to be at 195, and Franklin accepted. Smart move for Vitor, bad for Franklin. Aside from the fact that Vitor now will be more at home at 195 being closer to middleweight, what does this fight do for Franklin if he wins? I'm a strong believer of a win is a win, but Franklin wants to make a run at light heavyweight, this isn't the right path if he wants to make a run there. His last 2 fights since his debut at Light Heavyweight are a catchweight fight against Wanderlei, and a middleweight fight against Dan Henderson. Now assuming he gets past Vitor, that will be 3 non LHW wins since his debut at LHW. How exactly does 3 wins over middleweights help Franklin make a run at LHW? I assume like any fighter his goal is the belt, then 3 wins over middleweights if he beats Vitor won't help that goal. Franklin needs to start beating actual LHW contenders, or just LHW fighters for that matter. There's nothing to gain at 195, and until Anderson retires there's nothing for him at middleweight. If Franklin gets through Vitor, I at least hope they give him straight away a light heavyweight contender, like the loser of Rampage Vs. Rashad.

Sobral looks like a monster in your sig.

I'd have to say this is a good money maker for Rich though I mean some considered Dan Henderson vs Rich Franklin to be a super fight, same with Rich Franklin vs Wanderlei Silva now with Vitor Belfort vs Rich Franklin this could have some drawing potential.... sorry alot of drawing potential, because everybody who has watched Vitor or seen highlights would know when he is on, he can end anyone quick. Rich on the other hand is alot more calmer and presice with his strikes but Vitor throws fast and very straight punches, might be abit hard to adjust from a looping striker (Silva) and a straight puncher (Belfort). Vitor also has his dangerous BJJ game also.... this could prove to be a problem for Rich, not saying Rich is an amatuer on the ground but come on here, anyone will rate Vitor's ground game highly. This will be an amazing fight, candidate for FOTY.

I'd love to have a VBookie on this PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back