• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vance Archer's (Lance Hoyt) TNA character was better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancer

Most Surreptitious Poster
On the 11/3 edition of ECW on SyFy, Vance Archer, formerly Lance Hoyt of TNA fame, made his debut defeating a local competitor. He has a new look, with short hair, no beard, and new ring attire. Below is a small picture.

dyytye.jpg

Personally, I enjoyed his TNA character better. This version just looks too much like almost every other competitor debuting on ECW. I think he had a solid gimmick as part of the Rock N' Rave Infection with Jimmy Rave. However, he is a skilled big man and could go far, as Vince seems to like big men. Plus, he actually has a halfass good name, unlike Chris Harris when he came to the company (Braden Walker?).

Maybe he will go far, or maybe he will flounder in the lower midcard forever. Thoughts?

I also preferred his characted in TNA, it was fun. Then again, we're not even sure what his character is now, he hasn't cut a promo or anything.
He's a decent wrestler for a big guy. And no doubt Vince loves the size of him *ahem* so if he puts on good matches, then it could work out really well for him. He's not good enough to ever be world champion or WWE champion, but he could definately get the ECW title once Christian leaves for SD/Raw. Even though there are an awful lot of big guys already on ECW, with the Roundtable there.
But he seems to be in good shape so we're not gonna see another Braden Walker.

A halfass good name?? WTF?? The name Vance Archer absolutely sucks and he looks generic. He looks like a generic version of Zach Ryder.

Whatever happened to poor Chris Harris? After WWE screwed him over, I guess TNA had no more interest. Too bad. He had all the ear-markings of a future star.

Anyway, I always thought Lance Hoyt was a slightly generic knock-off of the Big Daddy Cool archetype from years ago. Regardless, now that he has a new name and new look, maybe he'll get a renew life in the "WWE Universe"?

Only one match is a little too early to tell what is in store for him, but he's got enough skills to at least become a solid ECW title contender. That's a great starting place -- and a helluva lot better than being stuck in Rock 'n Rave limbo over in TNA.

This was not a good debut...I've always been a big TNA fan, and I didn't know it was Hoyt until about halfway through his "match". He looked like a giant mongoloid when he walked out of Tiffany's office, and then his match was...Boring? Is that the word? He doesn't look that huge, to where he can overpower everyone, which is how they're trying to build him, and he looks like a giant douchebag.

He was far more interesting with his TNA gimmick...

I thought the debut was alright, but really can't take much from one short match. Hated his finisher though. It was bland and boring. I think if he can improve the finisher he could be a solid midcarder.

Yea, the finisher should change....But, even as a whole, Archer is generic.....But, I think that putting him on ECW is the reasoning behind that. Had he shown up on SD or RAW like that, then he would NOT have been accepted AT ALL. Putting him in ECW allows WWE to try out the character development, and see what comes from it.

Whatever happened to poor Chris Harris? After WWE screwed him over, I guess TNA had no more interest. Too bad. He had all the ear-markings of a future star.

The WWE did not screw him over. I'm sure the WWE didn't put him on a diet of Cheetos, Doritos, and (insert junk food here) for his layoff. When he showed up to camp, he was out of shape, and never really pitched ideas to creative for his character. He even admitted that he came up with Braden Walker on the spot when they asked him for a character name. He was rumored to have acted entitled backstage, and besides, he wrestled like complete shit, nearly breaking Armando Estrada's neck with that crossbody off the top rope. Showing up out of shape, not contributing ideas to creative, a backstage attitude, and most of all, acting unnatural in front of the camera and wrestling like shit is a recipe for not lasting long.

Anyway, Hoyt was always pretty awful in TNA, and it's although it's too early to judge how he'll do in the WWE, I don't think he'll last long. He's spent a lot of time in FCW, possibly so that the same thing with Braden Walker doesn't happen to him. But it all comes down to charisma, and Hoyt is pretty devoid of it. Plus, there's that tramp stamp, in which I think the crowd and other wrestlers are going to continually razz him about.

I think he will do okay, but i truly dont see him getting anywhere within the next two years. He would do better if he got rid of the dumb tatoo. But i digress. He is an okay wrestler, but i look forward to maybe becoming a mark of his.

He should do fine in ECW and in the wwe he is a big man which Vince likes, i think they should do something with his gimmick a little and give him another finisher or let him use one he has in the past.

he will do better then Braden walker Archer looks in good shape i will admit i liked his tna gimmick better, but i think over time he will be good and may have alot of fans.

Well I can't judge him just yet I'm going to have to see more matches and possibly a promo or two from him so I can judge correctly on ecw. His debut match was the typical squash match it was not a decent squash match but not that good.

I also think he is a would be a good contender for the ecw title when he is built up for it. I think he is going to start feud though with Goldust or Shelton and then move on two bigger and better things.

I didn't even realise that was Lance Hoyt, tbh this is pretty much the same thing they've done with Sheamus, Jackson, Koslov etc. He's a big guy who squashes jobbers, he doesn't really have a notable look. And you couldn't really tell if he has much to bring to the table ringwise based on his match. He could have potential and I didn't mind the Rock N Rave connection in TNA but I don't expect much of him.

I don't have time to watch TNA, so I don't know anything about his work on TNA. However, I see that most of you liked his gimmick on TNA more than his current one in WWE.

All I can say is that WWE really needs to put more effort on debuting superstars. All the time, we see new superstars debut by beating some nut-ass local jobber. We have seen this with so many other debuting superstars, including Jack Swagger, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Vladimir Kozlov, many more. And now you have Vance Archer.

I actually was quite impressed with Vance Archer's debut. Like Tiffany said, "He's very intense". His match was shorter than others, but he seems good. All WWE needs to do is give him a gimmick to work with and he should be fine. He has the look, the skills, maybe he's good on the mic... it's WWE job to do the rest.

His debut was kinda dull, but his match last night wasn't too bad. He showed some more moves this time around and looks great in the ring for a guy his size. I remember him a little bit in TNA and he was fun to watch then. I'd give Vance some time to show the fans what he can do, but I surely hope he stays in ECW for a good long while. I think he can give Christian a run for his money and this just seems to be the right brand for this guy.

Hmm even at his peak in TNA with Hoytamania and all that, I never thought he was any good. And in the WWE? He is way to skinny and not ripped enough to eventually become one of Vince's pet projects, he looks like he'd get destroyed by every other powerhouse in the WWE, and Drew McIntyre does his job of being an intense tall intimidating guy better. Also I have to agree with whoever said it first, he looks like a douche, not Edge douche or even JBL douche but X-Pac douche.

I watched him for the most time and he could not be more generic. His finisher is a inverted ddt and for being a big man he's hardly towering over his opponents. He has no gimmick which can be okay if you can show off your in ring skills but he has yet to impress me.

one word, UGH. This guy has the Lance Storm factor written all over his face. Beating jobbers, looking tough yadda yadda yadda. Been there done that. They should do something with the guy if they're gonna put him on television. I'm just gonna wait and see what will happen but I dont predict a bright future for him. Well... since Noble ''retired'' he could become the next jobber...

This guy has the Lance Storm factor written all over his face.

How dare you?

Lance Storm is one of the most underrated and best wrestlers of his generation. I can't stand how people say he didn't have the best mic skills and was charismatically challenged when in WCW, he showed off quite well that he can engage the crowd and have the crowd LOATHE him. In the dying days of WCW, he was the only reason I watched as he lit up the ring with his great in-ring skills and pretty good promos. I thought his character was great.

Vance Archer has ZERO charisma and ZERO in ring ability. I can't stand when the WWE tries to put him over as being intense, when he's about as intense as a trip to the video store. He's absolutely brutal to watch, and not in a good way.

To even mention Lance Hoyt and Lance Storm in the same breath is sacrilege.

How dare you?
Okay, okay. Lets not get off topic here, I should've elaborated myself. What I meant when I said he had the lance storm factor I mean the lance storm later stage of his career gimmick. You know when he was portrayed as being boring. I'm not comparing him to Lance Storm himself just his gimmick.

Archer sucks. He is just incredibly plain, his moveset isn't very interesting, and there is absolutely no reason to care about him. He was kind of decent in TNA, but I can't see him doing much in the WWE at all. I'd rather someone like DJ Gabriel get TV Time then him, he's just boring as hell.

Reactions: TLC
I noticed quite a few think Archer/Hoyt will just do ok in WWE, but i would differ and say he will be HUGE. He isn't a Shawn Michaels or anything, but if Vince loves big guys and is in desperate need of them for the new generation of main eventers in 3-5 yrs then Archer will be the guy. Think about it, who does Vince have for the monster, very tall, big heel after Kane, Show, Khali (he's not a heel but you get the gist) and Taker (same idea as Khali) are gone. Kozlov can't seem to get over, and Ezekiel hasn't yet proved if he can draw (IMO). WWE's future top guys are smaller guys (Morrison, Miz, Punk, Kofi). Swagger is relatively big, but even he's not that huge. And even Kennedy when he was employeed wasn't that big.
As for his character... well he doesn't have one. WWE just blows are giving these guys a decent gimmick. Kofi is finally starting to get one, Miz has somewhat of one, Swagger not so much either. Punk is about the only one who has a character and even that is more 2-D thna it is 3-D cause he's only doing the straight edge / hypocrite kind of thing...still works, but just sayin.

But give Archer a few months to build in ECW and win the title..then he'll get moved to SD during the draft.

This character is boring but it is far better than the character he had in TNA. Even if he's kinda boring right now, at least he doesn't come out with guitar hero guitars like he used to over in TNA. That was one of the lamest gimmicks ever. I think he'll do better with this gimmick because people will actually take him seriously unlike when he'd come out with guitar hero guitars in TNA.
_

Another impressive win last night. Yeah it's another no name jobber, but the guy just has some nice moves and although he hasn't had much mic time, at this point however, I don't think he's going to need any for a while. He does need to change his finisher or something because it just looks weak.

I saw his match on Tuesday and nothing really stood out in my mind. He just beat the poor guy up, with just stiff kicks and slaps, than finished him off with that weak-ass finisher.

This is no knock on Hoyt as an individual. I think he has waaaay more talent than what he exhibits in the WWE. I think they are just dumbing down his character to make him seem "intense," when truthfully he seems to be the farthest from it.

Here's hoping that in the future, he will add some new moves to his arsenal, and show that he is not a walking oxymoron.

I watched him for the most time and he could not be more generic. His finisher is a inverted ddt and for being a big man he's hardly towering over his opponents. He has no gimmick which can be okay if you can show off your in ring skills but he has yet to impress me.

Actually, even though he doesnt look big, I saw him at a signing once for TNA and he is huge. I have a pic with Hemme, he is in the backround and just towers over everyone.

But anyways, just give him a chance. They are making him out to be a destructive monster, which usually at least starts off well. And as far as Vince burying TNA guys, like I said before when I started a thread about him 6 months ago, look at the track record. Usually the guys Vince grabs from competition that had not been superstars, usually get pushed pretty well. Ex. from TNA you got MVP and CM punk. From WCW, Jericho and the Radicalz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back