Van Halen: Better with Roth or Hagar?

RBH

Think before you post.
I have become a Van Halen fan over the last few years as their music has caught on to me and I was wondering for those who listen to Van Halen, which lead singer did you prefer? Are you a Roth Van Halen fan or are you a Sammy Hagar Van Halen fan? Believe it or not, I like both versions. They have both have great acousic and vocals but I would say that Hagar is what I have been listening to more lately. My favorite songs from Hagar are Love Walks In, Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love and Cabo Wabo. Out of my Roth side, I like Jump, Panama and Jamie's Crying. Anyways, what are your thoughts on Van Halen?

As VH is my all time favorite band, I consider myself something of an expert.

So let me explain it this way:

David Lee Roth was a better singer and front man.

Sammy Hagar made Van Halen a better band.

Make sense? Overall, DLR has a slightly better voice - Diamond Dave was something else with those vocals. Plus, as a front man, he brought an energetic presence to VH that only Queen and Kiss had ever experienced to that point, and only Poison and Motley Crue would thereafter.

But with the Red Rocket in Sammy, Mr. Cabo himself, Van Halen became a fuller and far more well-constructed band. The song-writing improved with Sammy working with Eddie, the bass of Michael Anthony was featured more prominantly and technically, and the music itself came together and was mixed better.

Plus, with Sammy, the music got deeper. It was still fun - songs like "Finish What Ya Started" were great. But with DLR, they were a fairly one-dimensional party band. Not many levels.

Sammy also helped introduce Van Halen to the theme album. Look at "ForUnlawful Carnal Knowledge." Of course the ackronym is F.U.C.K. That also happened to be some of their most passionate and sexually charged music.

Eddie, I felt became even more innovative with Sammy. Playing the drill on his guitar in the opening of Poundcake. I mean, holy hell.

And the Balance, the most under rated album of 1995. Check out this excerpt of "Right Now" from that tour.

[youtube]4n4g1bGITLc[/youtube]

This is one of rock's greatest bands ever, and overall, while I loved Diamond Dave's sound, vocals, and presence, Sammy was a superior lead in most other ways.

I like to look at it like this: Van Hagar was a good band, but Van Halen was a great band. Both frontman brought something different to the table- Van Halen with Sammy Hagar had more commercial success. They had more Top 40 hits. The original line up had much more of a hard rock feel than Van Halen with Sammy. However, Van Halen with DLR probably had a larger influence on the next generation of rock bands. When you hear someone talking about Van Halen being a big influence, they always mention DLR.

In all honesty, I'm not a big Van Halen fan, and really don't have strong feelings on the subject. I made an Essentials Van Halen collection with songs I felt were best, and I think if you go through them, it's pretty much split down the middle.

I'm a big fan of "Panama" and Runnin' With the Devil, two songs by Roth. I'm also a big fan of "Dreams" and "Right Now", two Sammy songs, with "Dreams" probably being my overall favorite.

Overall, I'm probably not the best judge of this, although I do have a friend who is pretty much dead against Roth and a HUGE fan of Sammy. Personally, I think it depends more on the song than the singer.

Sammy also helped introduce Van Halen to the theme album. Look at "ForUnlawful Carnal Knowledge." Of course the ackronym is F.U.C.K. That also happened to be some of their most passionate and sexually charged music.
Is this your favorite Van Halen album? Or would it be 5150?

I'd say F.U.C.K. was my favorite VH Album overall. Tied for second are Van Halen 1 and 5150, with 1984 CLOSE behind. I also loved Balance.

Diver Down is the only one I didn't really care for, and even that had some admirable experimental work.

I didn't really like Diver Down either. But I liked the 1984 album and the original. Plus, F.U.C.K and 5150 were my favorite Hagar albums. Even though I am only 1, I can appreciate their music even if they were not from my time. Being, I was barely born when Hagar and VH were in their prime but many of the people on this board would say the sam thing. But al in all, I would listen to Van Halen any day with Roth or Hagar.

Van halen with hagar was good, but the first van halen with roth was the best for sure.....They were the ultimate party band with roth.....they didnt do as many fun songs with hagar....and then there is the worst one.....when they got the guy from extreme, gary shirone. ugh. It does thake "more than words" to express how bad that was. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back