Urijah Faber lost........finaly.

CCS

Getting Noticed By Management
Wednesday night Urijah Faber lost his WEC featherwieght title to Mike Brown. Faber was pushed as WEC's biggest star. This cant be a good thing for WEC. Anytime you push a fighter as your big attraction and he loses in the first round it could be fatal to your company. (See Elite XC and Kimbo Slice) Urijah is actualy a pretty damn good fighter and has a great future in MMA. But what does WEC do now ? They could start promoting Paulo Filho as their big name fighter , Or possibly Miguel Torres. Either way this cant be good for WEC. I dont think this will end WEC but i think it will hurt thier company alot. Faber is WEC's most popular fighter and he was made to look like he couldnt lose. So when he did lose it makes him look like he never was as great as he is. Overall , Mike Brown winning isnt good for anybody but Mike Brown.

Lol are you serious? Paulo Filho? He lost to Chael Sonnen while talking to invisible people. Paulo is done for now he has some serious issues he needs to sort out. As for faber he will be back on top soon he lost cause he was showboating. He decided to throw some fancy silva elbow and ended up paying for it. But yes their biggest attraction is probably Miguel Torres now since on top of Faber's loss and Filho's. Pulver lost as well and sadly it seems like he may be done. WEC can probably forget about going to PPV anytime soon. But it is not the end of WEC unlike Elitexc they actually have multiple attractions in their brand.

Paulo's on dope (or is potentially insane...or both). Faber losing is the best thing that could've happened to the WEC. Most serious MMA fans only saw a potential matchup with Kid Yamamoto for Urijah (which likely would've never materialized) as the only legitimate threat to his dominant reign. There was even talk of Faber moving up to 155 and trying his hand in the UFC (a move which I think would've proved horribly disastrous considering he's undersized and his last loss was to Tyson Griffin).

With Brown holding the belt, Zuffa can effectively sell a rematch between the two. It was obvious watching the fight that Urijah didn't respect Brown, most notably by dropping his hands at one point and overall appearing to have a lax amount of intensity for the fight. I think this can only help the WEC in the long run. They weren't going to likely ever ink a deal for Faber to fight Kid, and with the larger weight classes being absorbed into the UFC machine, they are counting on intrigue with the matchups in the lighter weight classes and are trying hard to find some decent rivalries to take the competition up a notch in their remaining weight classes.

Looking at the big picture, they should sign Jake Shields and sell him in a fight against Condit (because he's beaten him before). Next, they need to push the hell out of Faber to make a comeback (potentially a matchup against Leonard Garcia after he nearly prison-raped Jens Pulver). Next, they need to squash any talk of moving title holders up or down in the weight classes because they need to strengthen each division separately instead of trying to milk them together and expending the credibility of one star (which is what they're doing with B.J. and GSP...which is dumb as fuck). I think that the WEC is in a great spot right now if they just lay out the fights correctly.

As for Faber? He needs to get his act together and stop buying his hype. Brown knocked him out not out of complete superiority...but out of Faber's complacency with his spot as champ and his position atop most internet rankings sheets. I have a feeling the rematch will play a bit differently because Brown definitely got Faber's attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back