Universal Title curse??

I would not classify the Universal title as cursed. It's been vacated twice, one is an anomoly and twice is a coincidence. Two occurennces can't make a pattern.

If the next champion goes down to injury, sure. This title has had a bizzare history. It spent over a year around the waist of a part timer, then you couple that with a high profile injury to the inagural champion, and now a life threatening illness to the most recent champion. It's been a wacky ride that doesn't scream prestige.

If the title were "cursed" I would say that we would have seen an injury to KO, Goldberg and/or Lesnar.

One of Brock or Braun is the next champion, and it stands to reason that the winner will most likely carry the title into WrestleMania 35.

If one wins then promptly winds up on the shelf, then maybe we probably start that curse conversation.

Regardless of bad luck, Raw needs a top title. I don't think you scrap this belt because of injuries.

For a new title, I'm not ready to say cursed, but I would say it has a terrible track record. And it's ugly as sin.

1st Champion: Dropped due to injury, Balor has yet to get a chance to win it back.

2nd Champion: Owens has an impressive run up until he was beaten in 44 seconds.

3rd Champion: Was a 50 year old that didn't defend it until the 4th Champion took it from him.

4th Champion: Criticized for barely being part of Raw in his +500 day run.

5th Champion: Dropped due to a legit diagnosis.

The fact they're crowning the next champion in probably the most infamous place on earth at the moment probably will add to the cursed image it may very well be receiving.

Cursed or not? Well I have no idea.
But there is this coincidence of champions who won the title at Summerslam in Brooklyn had to vacate the title. Finn and Roman now. Spooky for sure.

If I were going to label anything as cursed, it's the Shield. Both attempts at a reunion have ended with a member of the group being sidelined for long periods of time with injury or illness. Ambrose suffers an arm injury that kept him out for most of this year and Roman Reigns is battling Leukemia, something that, even if he manages to overcome it, may never return to the ring.

The Universal Championship is a title that's had a troubled existence though, no doubt about that, though much of that has been brought on by questionable decisions by Vince himself. Whether it's the less than imaginative design of the title, its color scheme, the name itself or how the booking has been, there's no shortage of criticism and some of it's justified WWE has done everything possible short of obliterating the WWE Championship to try and force fans into accepting that the Universal Championship has ore prestige or credibility and it's just not working and it's not going to work.. The WWE Championship is the title of Sammartino, Morales, Backlund, Hogan, Savage, Hart, HBK, Diesel, Taker, the Rock, Triple H, Foley, Cena, Edge, Punk and now Styles and as fickle as fans are, they're not going to just pretend the greatness associated with the history of the title is somehow secondary. It's the championship that's associated with many of the biggest moments in wrestling history and I think a lot of fans ultimately see the attempts for what they are: another in a long line of attempts on Vince's part to manipulate them and force feed them reality as he thinks it should be in that empty, arrogant, corporate shallowness that dog so many of his decisions in modern times, which often serves to make fans even more obstinate.

Still too early to use a word as strong as cursed. The title hasn't had the greatest start, that's for sure. I personally love the design, as if my signature image didn't give that away. Finn getting injured didn't help the title, nor did Goldberg bringing Owens' reign to an awful end, and don't you EVEN get me started on Brock's reign. Roman having to relinquish the title was awful. Doesn't mean it's cursed. Now if what happened to Finn happened to multiple guys, maybe you'd be onto something. The title has suffered far more from bad booking decisions than anything. Nothing that can't be fixed with better decisions by the WWE Creative team. Let Strowman win the title and hold into it for a while feuding with Raw's top tier which gives them something to fight for. That's the best option right now.

I really hope you’re right and they have to remake the title...
And do something like the UK championship and probably in the next shake switch the World Championships

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back