Undertaker Ministry Era

Emmet

Juventino 4 LiFe
I've read several times on various sites over the years that Undertaker had said in an interview in 2001 that his incarnation of his gimmick in 1999 was the lowest point of his career, did he actually say this?

By 1999 I'm sure Taker had enough stroke backstage to be able to take his character in any direction he desired, did he not like the way he became 2nd fiddle when the Ministry joined the Corporation or did he not like his Satanic character at all throughout 1999? Surely if he didn't like it why did he go through it all in the first place?

Personally for me I loved Taker in 1999, he looked evil as hell and while his matches weren't the best (to be fair how many great matches were there in '99) his character was truly brilliant in that time in my view.

Can anyone give me any insight on this?

From what I understand it wasn't the Ministry of Darkness itself that he was referring to it was when they joined forces with the Corporation which created the Corporate Ministry.

He went on to say that even though he was happy with it because it brought stars like Edge and Christian and JBL to the spotlight, it was an angle that was not a part of the Undertaker and that is why he was unhappy with it. I'm not really sure what he meant by it wasn't a part of his character because I thought it fit perfectly but I hope this gives you a little more to go on.

Good thread...I always enjoy talking about the Undertaker since he's my favorite

:wtf: I agree with you. I hope he didnt think like this. He was one of the best villains in all time at that point of his career. He was snarky and cheating to win. Taking cheap wins but at the same time, he neer backed down from a fight. He was manipulating people. He led a dominant stable that was a threatining force to any superstar and to WWE (WWF at the time.), although, he didnt really need them to win. Kids were more scared of him in 1999 than the first year of his debut because in 1990-1992, he was Zombie like. Late 1998, he was like Hell's Warrior. In 1999, he was like The Devil itself. Think about it. Put the puzzle pieces together. Which is more scary? its obvious. :banghead: He was the guy that could beat Steve Austin a.k.a "Toughest S.O.B" without any help but chose to make it worst by using his soldiers to attack Austin. At times, he would do heroic actions if he felt the need to.

To be honest, in my opinion, this is also the most realistic gimmick (besides the biker stint) that the Undertaker had over the years throughout his dark persona. The other gimmicks was a supernatural character that led to plot holes in the WWE. Its like: If he can use powers, disappear and reappear within seconds, strike down lightning at you, and walk through fire, why does he fight and almost lose (sometimes lose) without using any of the supernatural tactics. If he's suh a supernatural force, why is it that sometimes he cant see you getting ready to attack him from behind or why are some people able to jump him when he can just use powers force them off. I mean its very interesting but its so fictional. In 1999, Undertaker wasnt supernatural at all. He was just a large human being that was a vicious fighter who would do risky things and immitate the Devil. He worshipped the Devil but had his own priorities. He didnt teleport to places, he walked, ran, driven, and rode there. He couldnt walk through fire anymore, he had to find a way around it. He couldnt strike lightning at you, he had to use a torch to put light something up. Although, one time he did do a motion with his hands that struck a lightning towards his cross to light it on fire.

If he brings a personaback from the 90s, it should be this one. Right now, since we're in the Reality Era, he's not using powers but he's still like Hell's Warrior. He should go back to this Ministry gimmick so he can get more power in the WWE. He wouldnt even have to fight throughout the year. He can still fight once or twice a year but take control of other young superstars so they can unleash the Ministry's wrath on the WWE.

I always had this vision in my head that if the Ministry of Darkness came back, The Undertaker could manipulate stars like Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler, Tyler Reks, Curt Hawkins, Kharma, The Great Khali, Jinder Mahal, and Yoshi Tatsu to take over the WWE. To make the group seem like a legitimate threat, he can take CM Punk or Randy Orton too. He could have Kane as an ally of his with this Embrace The hate angle. He could even take Big Show or Daniel Bryan. Plus, Big Show once alligned himself with the Ministry of darkness. If he takes Orton, the only thing that changes about Orton is that he'll not only be psychotic like he already is but Evil. For CM Punk, as I recall, he does have a little bit of evil in him. CM Punk referenced to it in his current feud with Jericho. During SES, CM Punk's character was not only snarky, cocky, sneaky, conceited, and devious but he was evil with pschotic tendencies. If Undertaker were to take him, all that would change about him is that he would join the Darkside.

I think Undertaker should bring the Ministry back no matter if he brings the group back and also allign himself with a villain CM Punk. :confused:

I'm pretty sure it was the Ministry era that he hated. That being said, OP implied that Taker had a say on his character & gimmick. Every wrestler has a say with their gimmick, but when storylines revolve around him, his character is no longer under his control, but the control of VKM & Creative. The more ridiculous the storylines became, the more ridiculous his character became.

I'm pretty sure, and as people have pointed out he detested the merge with the corporation. But his whole Ministry angle to begin with was great to me. He changed his look and became far more menacing. For he had a great 1998 with facing Kane and then Austin and then all 3 getting involved. His character kinda started getting stale and I still remember the first ceremony. When he drank Mideon's blood. Chills man.

It was a very badass incarnation and I only think h is peeved by it because he became a corporate stooge like everyone else when the Corporate Ministry was formed.

I had heard a few other superstars in interviews explaining that after he became lord of darkness, he started to turn more toward religion and personal spirituality and for that he did not like what the character became, but because hes such a professional he kept it going for business sakes despite how he felt...as far as joining forces with Vince and the corporation, in my opinion I feel it stained the whole undertaker character period! The reason why? the undertaker as the deadman was never about worldly possessions, or corporate power, he was always the lone man that answered to nobody..except for his motorcycles as the A.B. he was able to carry the same lone outsider that was one of many reasons everyone cheered him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back