• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Underrated Music Artists

Kayoh

Deciding if I want to join WZCW.
I saw there was another thread for the overrated groups of the world like Nickelback, Creed, Lady GaGa, and Kings of Leon, but how about some UNDERrated artists?

I personally think that the most underrated artist (group, in this case) in music as of right now is Alter Bridge. What happens when you take the actual talent from Creed and add a TRULY incredible lead singer in Myles Kennedy? You get Alter Bridge. I know a lot of people will end up disagreeing with me, but honestly, AB is probably my favorite band right now (which is unfortunate because the band is touring with Scott Stapp as Creed, BLECH) and they made possibly my favorite song EVER, an eight minute epic Alternative/Metal song called Blackbird. Look it up on YouTube - they have a Live DVD out so you can probably find a really high quality live version of it. They sound just as good (if not better) Live as they do on a CD. They're also currently in production of their third CD which is being produced by the same guy who produced the Blackbird CD, so I seriously cannot wait for that. In their first CD, One Day Remains, there are a few songs that you could still CLEARLY hear the influence from Creed in, but on Blackbird...it's just amazing. LOL!

Well, it depends on the definition of underrated. if we're talking bands that aren't as popular as they should be, then most of the semi-obscure metal I listen to fits, ie. Neurosis, Converge, Meshuggah, Opeth, Cynic, Betweent he Buried and Me, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc. However, most of those bands are critically acclaimed whenever they are reiewed. For bands that are popular b ut are underrated for their ability, I'd nominate System of a Down. They usually get lumped in with the terrible nu-metal band sfrom the same time, even though they had original, interesting and influential ideas, lyrics and music. I think alot of people view them as just another metal band, whereas alot of the more underground metal fans regard them as pop-metal crap, but really they were a pretty great band that wasn't afraid to push boundaries and experiment.

Betweent he Buried and Me, Dillinger Escape Plan, .

BTBAM FTW.

One of my all time favorite bands and truely a one of a kind musical experience anytime you put one of their albums in.

Also a big Dillinger fan, actually saw them play together a couple years ago, maybe in 06, i think Dillinger had filled in for someone else. And they're both amazing live.

Ah, yes, the ever popular "underrated" dilemma. Well, my support goes to a young lady from the UK. Her name, you ask? Yes, well it's Joss Stone.

Now, I can't speak to her popularity over there, but I do know she never reached the level of fame as her contemporaries in the States. This perplexes me. She's obviously got the tools (great pitch, control, amazing looks, etc.), along with a rather unique style. I'd take her over Leona Lewis, or any of the others, any day honestly.

As an honorable mention, I'd like to speak on a couple bands. First up is the Tragically Hip. They never reached much mainstream success in the States, much to my chagrin. In fact, the further you get away from the border towns, the less you'll hear of people knowing about them. Shame, too, because they own Nickleback in almost every way possible.

The other artist I wanted to touch on is Jonny Lang. He's a fairly well known blues guitarist/singer. Oh, you may be saying, "But, Dewey, if he's fairly well known, then he must not be underrated!" To an extent, you're right, too. It's awesome people know who he is, but it's mostly as a record producer. Nobody really thinks about his music, though.

So, yeah, there ya go. That right there is my 3 most underrated artists.

A very underrated band that doesn't get as much credit as i think they should is a band is called Airbourne. This is a good band that sounds like an old school rock band i mean to me they sound just like AC/DC and i love AC/DC and they are from Australia just like AC/DC and you don't really hear about this group and it's a shame so if you like good old school rock then you really should check out this group.

32 Leaves

They sound alot like Tool/A Perfect Circle, both musically and lyrically. I know they have a huge cult following, and have produced a few singles, but none of them have hit mainstream radio. That perplexes me. Their songs "All is Numb" "Blood on My Hands" and "Way Beyond" are all masterful tracks that all got major play on satellite radio, but never mainstream. At least not in the Pittsburgh area, where we have like 4 rock stations. Check em out if you like that genre. You wont be disapointed.

Basically, when I say "underrated", I mean a band that has gotten at least SOME kind of radio play or has at least touched the mainstream in some way, but didn't really do anything or cause any kind of stir. Great examples from posts so far aside from mine are Joss Stone and Airbourne. It's like, artists that if you would ask somebody if they've heard of them, they will probably say yes, but then if you ask them what their favorite song by them is, they'll say they don't know them that well. That is underrated imo. There are thousands (if not millions) of good bands out there that nobody will ever know of (a few of my favorites are Element Eighty, Age of Daze, and Mercy Drive) but an underrated group is one that has gotten exposure but didn't catch on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back