• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ultimate SummerSlam

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Slyfox did one for Mania so I'm taking it as if it's my own. But I think he stole it anyway. Rep him anyway, he loves it.

Come up with the your ultimate SummerSlam. From 1998-2007. Or if you do this in 2 weeks you can add this years show. Don't list, give reasons. It's harder than it looks. Brief rules below. You have one match you want to add but you can't because you've either already had a match with that wrestler/gimmick/title. Feel free to state which matches you can't fit onto your card. Rate other peoples cards, but give reasons throughout.

Rules:

Maximum of 9 matches per card but it must have taken place at SummerSlam between 1988-2007.

One of your matches must have been a main event for one of the SummerSlam shows. No Bret Hart vs. Curt Henning as your main event. But you are allowed to have matches that were main events lower in your card.

Maximum of 2 gimmick matches per card. But no more than one of the same gimmick match eg. You can't have the triple threat ladder match from 2000 & HHH vs. The Rock from 1998.

As many title matches as you wish, past or present. But no matches involving the same title twice eg. If you want the triple threat from 2007 you can't have Austin vs. Owen from 1997.

You must have one tag title match on your card. Be it World Tag, WWE Tag or even WCW Tag if one happened at the 2001 event.

A wrestler can be in only one match per card eg. if you want Cena vs. Orton from last year you can't have Cena vs. Edge from 2006.

Please list which year your match happened.

Show musn't go longer than 3 hours.

This is not a dream card as such. Just the best card you can produce with all the rules handicapping you.​

Slyfox Original
http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=17438
(That is in the Spam Zone, this is not follow the rules of the thread.)​

- Intercontinental Title Match: Chris Benoit vs. Rob Van Dam (2002) (16:30)

This was a really tough choice. In the end I went for a match that is great, but not a classic. As a result of adding this I wasn't able to add more memorable or important matches. But actually this was one of the last matches I added to the card because I'd used up a lot of wrestlers so I didn't have as many options.

- Big Boss Man vs. The Mountie (1991) (9:38)

Good little match. But I'm adding this more for The Mounties post match antics.

- World Tag Team Title Match: Diamond Dallas Page & Chris Kanyon vs. The Undertaker & Kane (2001) (10:13)

I only added this because I had to add a tag title match. I couldn't add the ladder from 2000 because of the gimmick rule so it was either this or the 2002 tag title match. Neither is great but I wanted Undertaker on my card. I got rid of his Boiler Room Brawl with Mankind (1996) because of the gimmick and length.

- The Brain Busters vs. The Hart Foundation (1989) (16:23)

Tough choice as when I was thinking up my matches I came to the conclusion that Summer Slam was Bret's show.

- Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle (2002) (9:20)

The best PPV opener of the past decade. Great match. But I almost didn't add it as I didn't want the post to be a SS 2002 love fest.

- WWF Championship/Steel Cage Match: The Ultimate Warrior vs. ''Ravishing'' Rick Rude (1990) (10:05)

A prime example of why Rude was so great.

- Women's Title Match: Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano (1994) (8:10)

Odd choice. But I remember this being really good. Probably all down to Nakano. No other women's match reall stood out. I didn't need a women's match. But I wanted to add this.

- The Mega Powers vs. The Mega Bucks (1988) (13:57)

Ventura as ref is a stipulation so I don't count it as a gimmick. It is in a way but normal refs don't count. Good match considering Andre was awful at that point in his career, and I don't rate Hogan. But the ending is great.

- World Heavyweight Championship/Elimination Chamber Match: Triple H vs. Kevin Nash vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Goldberg vs. Chris Jericho vs. Randy Orton (2003) (19:12)

SummerSlam is Bret Harts event. But there is somebody that is very close to him in terms of match quality. I hate to say it but it's Triple H. I struggles to find a match of his that I could put on the card. But in the end I opted for this. I couldn't leave HBK off, even though Mankind, Austin & The Rock are nowhere to be seen. And the others are a nice little touch I think. Nash came very close in having his match with Razor at the 1994 event on the card, but the IC title ruined that for him.

- Just Missed Out: Undertaker vs. Mankind (1996), The British Bulldog vs. Ken Shamrock (1997) & Eddie Guerrero vs. Edge (2002)

Originally there was 10 matches allowed on the card and the tag title match rule wasn't in place. The Boiler Room Brawl wasn't added for a number of reasons. It's not a great match, it's a gimmick match and it's nearly 30 minutes long. So as a result it didn't make it.

The European Title match was taken off because it ended in DQ and because I needed to add a tag title match. And Eddie vs. Edge was taken off because I didn't want too many 2002 matches.

- Others Considered: For any number of reasons they weren't added or never serious considered.

- WWF Championship: Cena vs. Orton (2007), Lesnar vs. The Rock (2002), The Rock vs. HHH vs. Kurt Angle (2000), Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior (1992), Earthquake vs. Hogan (1990), Bret Hart vs. Undertaker (1997) & Hart vs. Hart (1994)

- U.S. Championship: Orlando Jordan vs. Chris Benoit because there's nothing wrong with amusing squash matches.

- Intercontinental Title: Bret Hart vs. Bulldog (1992), Rick Rude vs. The Ultimate Warrior (1989), Razor Ramon vs. Diesel (1994), Razor Ramon vs. HBK (1995), Kerry Von Erich vs. Curt Henning (1990), The Rock vs. HHH (1998) & Austin vs. Owen (1997)

- Misc: Dudleyz & Spike vs. Rey, London & Kidman (2004), Triple H vs. HBK (2002), Undertaker vs. Undertaker (1994), Mankind vs. Tripel H (1997) & The Rougeaus & Martel vs. Rockers & Tito Santana (1989)

Also almost all of the matches off the 1995 event.

- Hakushi vs. 1-2-3-Kid (1995) (09:28)

Jake already used the best opener of this decade, so I decided to use one of the best openers in the WWF from the nineties. This was a great, technical match.

- Million $ Championship Match: "Million $ Man" Ted DiBiase (ch) vs. Virgil (1991) (13:11)

Very fun match to keep the fans into the show. It was impossible not to want to see DiBiase get his fucking face beat in back in those days.

- Tatanka vs. Lex Luger (1994) (06:00)

Ahh, one of the most underrated feuds of all time right here. After DiBiase took his loss from Virgil, he would then make an appearance here and attack Luger, thus making Tatanka heel. Not a very good match but the angle is too great to pass on.

- Intercontinental Title Match: Mr. Perfect (ch) vs. The Texas Tornado (1990) (05:15)

Though not the best match technically wise (especially considering the IC Title matches that has happened at Summerslam), I still love it. Kerry Von Erich was my favorite WWF wrestler back then and one of my favorites of all time, so I have to include him on my card.

- Lions den match (9-foot pit) - Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart (1998) (09:16)

Another underrated feud. These two put on a great show considering the circumstances.

Kurt Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero (2004) (13:37)

Great technical match. As good as their Wrestlemania bout, IMO.

- Tag Team Championship Match, 2 out of 3 falls: Demolition (ch) vs. The Hart Foundation (1990) (14:24)

I had to include Bret Hart somewhere on this card, and this was the best match of them that didn't include the IC or WWF Championship. This was a very entertaining match and definitely one of the greatest tag bouts to go down in the WWF during that day and age.

- WWF Hardcore championship, ladder match: Rob Van Dam (ch) vs. Jeff Hady (2001) (16:33)

Definitely not the best Ladder match ever, but this was still entertaining as fuck and had some awesome spots in it. Kind of sloppy at times, but what they did hit more then made up for it.

- Match made in Heaven: Randy Savage Savage and Miss Elizabeth get married (1991)

One of the best feel good moments in WWF history. Also, the angle that followed was beyond awesome. This has to be included on my show. As far as the length of this goes, lets just say 10-15 minutes.

- WWF championship match: Shawn Michaels (ch) vs. Vader (1996) (28:59)

One of my favorite matches of all time. The heat here, and the ridiculousness of how this shit went down was fan-fucking-tastic. Also, HBK back then was so damn fun to watch, and to see him go up against such an athletic monster like Vader was, you just knew something special was going to go down, and it did.

- Just Missed Out: Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (1994), Hulk Hogan & Brutas "The Barber" Beefcake vs. Randy "Macho King" Savage & Zeus (1989), Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho (2000), and Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle (2003)

I loved the Hart/Hart cage match, and really wanted to include it on here, but I just couldn't put it past HBK vs. Vader.

The Hogan/Beefcake vs. Savage/Zeus originally was on here, but then I realized that Hogan was the WWF Champ at the time and that went against the rules since I already had a WWF Champion on the card.

Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho got cut only because it was 2 out of 3 Falls, and as I mentioned, I desperately needed a Bret Hart match on the card.

And Lesnar vs. Angle is a forgotten classic, but still... I couldn't put it over HBK vs. Vader.

- Others Considered: For any number of reasons they weren't added or never serious considered.

- WWF Championship: Chris Benoit (ch) vs. Randy Orton (2004), Brock Lesnar (ch) vs. The Rock (2002), Steve Austin (ch) vs. Kurt Angle (2001), The Rock (ch) vs. HHH vs. Kurt Angle (2000), Randy Savage (ch) vs. Ultimate Warrior (1992), and Undertaker (ch) vs. Bret Hart (1997)

- WWF Intercontinental Championship: Bret Hart (ch) vs. Bulldog (1992), Mr. Perfect (ch) vs. Bret Hart (1991), Chris Benoit (ch) vs. Rob Van Dam (2002), Rick Rude (ch) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (1989), Diesel (ch) vs. Razor Ramon (1994), Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels (1995), Shawn Michaels (ch) vs. Mr Perfect (1993) and Lance Storm (ch) vs. Edge (2001)

- WWF Tag Team Championship: The Legion Of Doom (ch) vs. The Nasty Boys (1991), Mankind (ch) vs. The New Age Outlaws, The Steiner Brothers (ch) vs. The Heavenly Bodies

- WWF European Championship: The British Bulldog (ch) vs. Ken Shamrock (1997)

- WWE United States Championship: Eddie Guerrero (ch) vs. Rhyno vs. Chris Benoit vs. Tajiri (2003)

- Misc: The Rock vs. "Mr. Ass" Billy Gunn (1999), X-Pac vs. Jeff Jarret, Mankind vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (1997), Dudleyz & Spike vs. Rey, London & Kidman (2004), "The Dragon" Ricky Steamboat & "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith & "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich vs. The Warlord & Power and Glory (1991), and The Legion Of Doom vs. Money Inc (1992)

Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Micheals(21:24)(SS 2005)

Iconic,Memorable match with a great finish.

My Main Event:Bret Hart vs British Bulldog(25.40)(SS 1992)
Emotional and A Great Techincal Match for the Intercontinal title.

WWE: Championship match.Steve Austin vs The Undertaker(20.52)(SS 1998)
Good Ol' brawl.Plus Taker and Austin are in it.Plus the crowd reaction makes this ***** all ready.

Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio(9.20)(SS 2002)
They were give 10 minutes.They put on one of the greatest matches that year.Just a fast paced match with a great finish.Rey was getting WAY over with the crowd back then.

Kane vs Matt Hardy(6.08)(SS 2004)
Great backstory.You felt sorry for Matt just trying to get his girl back and Kane the pyhsco horror monster who wants the hot chick.Fun match.

WWF Tag Team & Street Fight: L.O.D vs The Nasty Boys.(7:45)(SS 1991)
I picked this cause I needed a tag team match.I haven't seen this match but L.O.D and Nasties should be able to put on a good street fight.

Big Boss Man vs The Mountie(9.38)(SS 1991)
Fun match.Mountie in jail is priceless.

Mankind vs HHH(Steel Cage,16.25)(SS 1997)
Classic cage match.Mankind tries to escape so much but he just can't because of Chyna.

All matches are memorable on this card.I believe this card is enjoyable,fun and pluse racing.Plus they all have star power.

Ultimate Summerslam Card:

1. Street Fight: Triple H. v. Shawn Michaels - Summerslam 2002 (27:50)

Reason: Because out of every Triple H. and Shawn Michaels match, I figured this one had the most intensity between them. I was really torn not to put H.B.K. against Vader from 1996, but I think his return in 2002 really made any other Shawn Michaels' match look secondary.

A lot of people held question-marks over their heads as to whether or not H.B.K. could still go, could still be the H.B.K. of old. And to be honest, I think this match coming in and leaving, was better than anything he'd done prior to his injury.

2. Tag Team Championships: Fatal 4 Way: Smoking Gunns v. New Rockers v. Bodydonnas v. Godwinns - Summerslam 1996 (12:18)

Reason: If I were stacking my entire card, then the T.L.C. match from 2000 would be on here, especially because that was arguably the best Tag Team Championship match out of the entire history of Summerslam. However I'm only suppose to use two gimmick matches, and the Street Fight that opened my show, and the Best two outta three that is still to come were both better than the T.L.C. match, in my opinion.

So, I'm left with the option of what other Tag Team contest. And I think to myself, it's either going to be the 1999 version w/ Taker and Big Show against Kane and X-Pac, or it's going to be the 4 Corner's match from 1996.. and as you can see, I'm more of a fan of 4-team matches.

These were arguably the hottest Tag Teams in the W.W.E., and this match really could've went any way. Those are the types of matches I love to watch the most. The ones that you can't predict instantly what they outcome will be.

3. Hakushi v. 1-2-3 Kid - Summerslam 1995 (9:28)

Reason: On a card stacked with Main Event match, after Main Event match, and big time player against big time player.. a lot of you must be wondering what the hell I'm thinking, randomly playing this opening bout in the middle of my show.

It's simple. Watch the match and find out. Opening round bout, two guys that are easily written off if you really don't want to waste the time giving them a chance.. but if you actually did watch this match, then good for you.. because you witnessed a great showing of speed and skill.

Hakushi is easily one of the most underrated superstars to be written off and forgotten by the turn of the attitude era. The Kid on the other hand has always been looked down upon merely because of his size. I assure you, this match belows on my card a lot more than the likes of Hogan against Earthquake. (which I shall later explain)

4. Legion of Doom v. Money Inc. - Summerslam 1992 (15:10)

Reason: I already had my Tag Team Championship match, now I'm having my Tag Team classics match. L.o.D. and Money Inc. were two great Tag Teams in their day, and this match was really a second coming for the Legion of Doom if I recall correctly.

I'm not exactly sure why, or what it was surrounding it.. but the only time I seen the event, all I could recall is how excited everyone was to see the L.o.D. back, or back with their manager, maybe?? (I honestly can't recall) Either way, this is a great Tag Team match to fill out the middle of the show.

5. W.W.F. Championship: Steve Austin v. Kurt Angle - Summerslam 2001 (21:00)

Reason: I fully admit, I wanted to go with Bret against Owen.. but the use of Bret is being taken on later, and the gimmick match was unavailable to me. So I went for the next best match-up. Diesel against King Mab.. ah, I'm just shittin' ya.. :lmao: Steve Austin against Kurt Angle.

The reason the Heavyweight title is rounding out the middle of my show, and not Main Eventing it, is because of how it ends. The only reason this match isn't remembered as one of the greatest contests in Championship history when it comes to Summerslam's.. is because of the DQ finish.

The fact that Angle took some odd like 3 Stunners and refused to stay down, was unheard of at that time though. And this was during the beginning high point of their feud. It was just starting and getting great to watch.

6. Best 2 outta 3 Falls: Chris Benoit v. Chris Jericho - Summerslam 2000 (24:27)

Reason: Another match I almost went with was Orton against Benoit, while I had Jericho against Flair. I opted out of that and went with this, because the timing fit perfectly for me.. and Benoit v. Jericho, regardless, anytime it's happened.. has been a classic.

2000 in general was arguably one of the single greatest Summerslam's I can recall, and this was one of the big reasons. This is a high-impact feud between two really great Canadian Superstars. Both men were so evenly matched, you just didn't know where or how it was going to end.. and allowing them to go at each other 2-3 times just tops everything.

7. The Undertaker v. Randy Orton - Summerslam 2005 (17:11)

Reason: No where near their Wrestlemania contest, but still a rather good match in general. The Undertaker hasn't really had many great Summerslam contests. I thought about Taker against Taker, to be honest because that was a personal favorite, and short of using D.O.A. in some type of Tag match, I'd only really be using up "one Superstar". lol

I liked Orton against Taker mainly because it helped Orton bring life back into his Legend Killer gimmick. Orton's Father helping him win was somewhat iffy at best, and I wish they would've just let Randy defeat the Undertaker fairly, but still, it's a great match to put on a 5 star card.

8. Hulk Hogan v. Earthquake - Summerslam 1990 (13:16)

Reason: I haven't even seen this match. FACT! The only reason it's making my card, much less filling the spot before my Main Event.. is because I'm giving in to the Hulkamania's. (aka Sly) And allowing their hero to have a moment of glory.

All I could remember from this match, is that apparently Earthquake broke Hogan's ribs, either during this match, or leading up to it. According to the website I used to locate this match, it ends in a countout victory for Hogan which is rather pathetic considering he should've went over cleanly against Earthquake.

8. Main Event: Intercontinental Championship: Bret Hart v. British Bulldog - Summerslam 1992 (25:40)

Reason: In my opinion, the single greatest Main Event in Summerslam history. End of story. Bret Hart, the British Bulldog. In the U.K., for the midcard Championship no less. This match made the British Bulldog. It made Bret Hart even more. It immortalized the Intercontinental Championship as worth anything great, and it showcased that the 2nd biggest Pay per view in W.W.F./E. history didn't have to end with the biggest, baddest, or Heavyweight-like feud of all time.

It ended with a nice, clean, wholesome contest between two Family members who at the end of the match, celebrated the way any two guys should truly celebrate.. by accepting defeat, and showing respect to the better man, on that night.

Round each match up to the minute above it, it comes to 171 minutes. Leaving 9 minutes for promos.

Or, take out the Hogan/Earthquake match, and you have 23 minutes for promos.

jmt255 did an awesome card. While it might not have had the best matches possible, it was more varied and intresting than most. It's the sort of card that I'd love to see. I'm really not intrested in cards with stars from top to bottom. I know most people are. But I'm more than happy watching a Hakushi match.

Looking into this thread and having watched the first 15 SummerSlams over the past couple of months I came to the conclusion that 1995 is an amazing card. So much so it might deserve it's own thread.

I laughed at Will's card. Not that it's bad. But there was 9 minutes left for promos. That means there would be no time for an opening promo before the show starts, no ring entrances or hardly anything else. It would be like a cattle farm.

Next I'll be doing a King Of The Ring themed one. If you thought this was hard work then you haven't seen nothing yet.

I laughed at Will's card. Not that it's bad. But there was 9 minutes left for promos. That means there would be no time for an opening promo before the show starts, no ring entrances or hardly anything else. It would be like a cattle farm.

If I were building the Ultimate Summerslam card, and adding promos, entrances, opening segment video, build-up videos, and backstage stuff.. then of course my show would suck.

But you said build up the perfect card, not the realistic Pay Per View. :p

And that's also why I said remove Hogan/Quake.. as it'd give some odd 13 minutes. (entrances, possibly) And if anything, also remove a couple other lower level matches. (The secondary tag match)

Next I'll be doing a King Of The Ring themed one. If you thought this was hard work then you haven't seen nothing yet.

I'm excited to see how this will be done. I've been trying to work out how to do the tournament since you mentioned the idea originally.

1. WWF World Tag Team Titlem match 2 out of 3 fall- summerslam 1990
The Hart Foundation vs Demolition (c) (14:24)

What a way to open up a PPV with one of the greatest tag title match in summerslam history. This is worth seeing just for the storytelling in this match

2. WWF Woman's title match- Summerslam 1994
Alundra Blayze(c) vs Bull Nakano (8:10)

This is what woman wrestling should be, two woman's wrestlers wrestling to see who is the best. This was one of the best woman match in the history of the WWE.

3.WWF Intercontinental Championship match - Ladder match - Summerslam 1998
Hunter Heart Hemsley vs The Rock (c) (26:01)

The build-up to this match was just awesome and you just wanted to see the rock lose the belt that you didn't care who took the belt from him

4: Tazz vs Jerry Lawler - Summerslam 2000 (4:24)

you always need a match that his a little bit of a transition match before the other big match and this one is just entertaining enough to fit in this spot.

5.:ECW Title MAtch - Summerslam 2006
Big show(C) vs Sabu (8:30)

For the first time ever the ECW champion is defended on PPV and it'S just a historic moment so why not included it on the card.

6: Legion of Doom vs Money Inc. - Summerslam 1992 (15:10)

It not the best tag team match but it's the only legion of doom match that i could included on this card and since money inc was a pretty good tag team, i decided to put this match on the card just for the fun of it.

7. The Undertaker vs The Undertaker - Summerslam 1994 (8:57)

Sure it wasn'T the best match on the card but it was a very innovative match. To have a match between to guys with the same gimmick is pure genius and that'S why this match is on the card.

8. Steel CAge MAtch for the WWF Championship Summerslam 1990
The Ultimate WArrior (C) vs Ravishing Rick Rude - (10:05)

what would be a summerslam card without a ultimate warrior match. This was a heated match up between 2 guys who have been at each others throat for the last 2 year and finally settled their grudge in a steel cage match for the biggest prize in the industry.

9. Shawn Micheals vs Hulk Hogan - Summerslam 2005 ( 21:24)

two icon of the WWE face each other to find out who is the better man. What more can you ask for. This is the most fun you could have watching a ppv match.

Show Opener Kurt Angle v. Rey Mysterio (9:20)
Reason: Like said before two fast paced intense athletes going at it non stop in essentially the perfect opener

Tag Team Title Match - The Steiner Bros. (c) v. The Heavenly Bodies (9:28)
Reason: I always thought Tom Pritchard was underrated and a young Scott is something to be seen. Not to mention letting arguably the best tag team of the 90s enter and leave with the belts just feels right

3rd match - Edge v. Lance Storm (11:16)
Reason: They both are amazing in the ring and this match shows this. There styles mesh very well and I couldn't leave either one of them off the card

4th match - The British Bulldog, Ricky Steamboat and The Texas Tornado v. The Warlord and Power and Glory (10:43)
Reason: I thought about opening the show with this but thought a middle card blend could be best. The Texas Tornado although the gimmick is questionable, him as a performer is one the greats, davey boy was always solid and even though i don't feel this was Ricky's best match the Steamboat needed to be on my card. As for the other team Power and Glory were a deadly tag team at this time they had months earlier destroyed the Rockers and Paul Roma and Hercules knew how to tag team wrestle and i always liked this pairing

5th match WCW title - The Rock v. Booker T (w/Shane McMahon) (24:58)
Reason: The build up was good, and both are dynamic performers, also I felt like I wanted a WCW title match on here, and a rock match

6th match Randy Orton v. The Undertaker (17:17)
Reason: Great feud, great build, great match. Randy really worked well here.

7th match Legion of Doom v. Money Inc. (w/Jimmy Hart) (15:10)
Reason: It's the legion of doom and Ted Dibiase, the match was solid and the performers worked well together

8th match Intercontinental Title Match Ladder Match Shawn Michaels v. Razon Ramon (24:58)
Reason: Innovated, solid, back story basically everything you would want from a match and these two friends put on a show

Main Event WWF Championship Bret Hart v. Owen Hart (32:17)
Reason: This might have been the last match of its card but its far and away my favorite Summerslam match and it culminated the rivalry of the two brothers. Bret made every Summerslam he was a part of and he truly is the best wrestler ever in my opinion. This is one match I will never get sick of and it caps of my ultimate summerslam card.

Agree/Disagree?

I love PPVs where history is made...let's see how much history is in this one...

Rey Mysterio V. Kurt Angle (SS 02) (9:20)
Reason: Great opening match!

"I Quit" Match: Ric Flair V. Mick Foley (SS 06) (12:47)
Reason: With Mick Foley's book Foley is Good, he listed his favorite match as Flair/Funk "I Quit"...and says he has no love lost for Flair...two legends in a great match.

Cruiserweight Championship/Light Heavyweight Championship Unification Match: X-Pac V. Tajiri (SS 01) (7:33)
Reason: The unification of the two divisions from WCW/WWE took place here.

Mega Powers (Hogan/Savage) V. Mega Bucks (DiBiase Sr./Andre) (SS 88)
(13:57)
Reason: First main event of SummerSlam...very historical match

World Tag Team Championship: The Un-Americans (Lance Storm/Christian) V. Booker T/Goldust (SS 02) (9:37)
Reason: Decent tag match...really unsure where to go with this one...(there has not been a Tag Title match on SummerSlam since 03...hope we can break this streak this year...somehow...)

WWE IC Championship: Bret Hart V. British Bulldog (SS 92) (25:40)
Reason: Do I really need one here? Davey Boy and Bret put on what is arguably the best match in SS history

World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Benoit V. Randy Orton (SS 04)
(20:08)
Reason: Chris Benoit's title reign comes to an end, Randy Orton becomes the youngest World Champion in the business...some good history in this match...

WWE Championship: John Cena V. Chris Jericho (SS 05) (14:49)
Reason: Chris Jericho's last PPV match...before he came back to Save Us (or Him)

Unsanctioned Street Fight: Triple H V. Shawn Michaels (SS 02) (27:19)
Reason: One hell of a violent, brutal match between 2 men who teased a DX reunion...with Trips turning on HBK...HBK's return to wrestling after being told he'd never wrestle again...such a historic moment...

Unfortunately some greats are left off...there are so many great matches in SS history to choose from...

Total time for matches: 141:10 (2 hours, 21 min, 10 sec)

Match #1 - The Big Boss Man vs The Mountie (jailhouse match)

I look at this match as one of the most clever gimmicks of all time. Obviously, this match HAS to be won by the face because seeing the face throw in jail is neither funny nor interesting. But watching a whiney, obnoxious heel like Jacques "The Mountie" Rougeau tossed in jail and locked up, flipping out, was priceless, and as a curtain jerker would be a fantastic way to get the crowd alive and having a good time. TIME - 9:38.

Match #2 - Ken Shamrock vs British Bulldog (Euro Title)

I was at this Summerslam in New Jersey, and remebered seeing these two very over powerhouses collide. Bulldog did such a fantastic job agitating Shakrock, that Shamrock lost control of himself and got DQ'd, keeping the Euro title on the mega-heel Bulldog and in the Hart Foundation camp. Shamrock then fed the Bulldog his own dog food and proceeded to suplex any referee who dared come within an inch of him. TIME - 7:29

Match #3 - The Rock vs Triple H (IC Title Ladder Match)

While so many people will go with Hart / Bulldog for their IC Title Match, I've already used the Bulldog vs Shamrock and I have plans for Bret. Instead, I use one of the best built IC Title Matches in history. This match was the quintessential culmination to one of the greatest stable rivalries in history - DX vs The Nation of Domination. This feud brought us the Jason Sensation parody, China knocking down Mark Henry, and HHH rousing the crowd after saving Chyna from an attack by The Rock, proclaiming "This Sunday at Summer Slam, Rock, I'm gonna make YOU my bitch!" The match delivered HUGE and had one of the greatest Jim Ross quotes of all time. "The popular - surprisingly - People's Elbow!" This acted as affirmation that The Rock could also draw face heat in certain moments, and HHH's win showed everyone that a rivalry existed that would some day involve the WWF Title. TIME - 26:01.

Match #4 - Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler

This match sorta breaks the rule of not being allowed more than one match per guy, but I think we can count this one, no? The scheduled match was Hart vs Lawler, but Lawler came out on crutches and claimed he'd not be able to give Lawler the beating he had coming. The fans were incensed, because Lawler had played such a great annoying heel since KOTR 1993 and wanted Bret to destroy Lawler. Lawler brought out his personal court jester instead, in the person of Doink the Clown. The amazing part of this is that, despite the gimmick, Hart and Doink worked VERY well together, and showed Doink as an accomplished singles wrestler. Hart won the match, and Lawler attacked him with his crutch, revealing his leg was fine. As a result, the scheduled Hart vs Lawler match began, and this ALSO highlighted terrific mat wrestling. The end saw Hart get the Sharpshooter on and win, but Hart's refusal to break the hold for over two minutes (featuring such rage on Hart's face and such pain and destitution on Lawler's) resulting in a reversal in the decision, giving Lawler the match by DQ. Bret was upset, but satisfied he'd done damage. Lawler, in classic heel fashion, was carried out on a stretcher (a face would have limped out on his own power) and even raised his hand after the annoucement of the victory. This was the greatest feud in wrestling history to feature a mismatch between two wrestlers, since everyone KNEW Hart would annihilate Lawler, but Lawler just kept escaping. TIME - 15:37 total.

Match #5 - The Steiner Brothers vs The Heavenly Bodies (Tag Titles)

This match, also in 1993, was a tag team clinic. Cornette's Bodies - Pritchard and DelRay, were playing a small "invasion" angle from Smokey Mountain wrestling. The Steiners were WWF's mainstay - squeaky clean athletes from the University of Michigan. The match itself was strong - cutting the ring in half, the hot tag, crowd play, etc. It ended with Scott hitting the Frankensteiner - at the time a rarity - for the win and retention. TIME - 9:28.

Match #6 - Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels

One of the best built matches in Summer Slam history. The sudden Michaels turn (a la Jannetty - see Old School Thread) on the legendary Hulk Hogan sets up an angry Michaels, crying out for fans to realize what a phony Hogan was, and a focused Hogan looking to cement his legacy. The gaffe with this feud was, Michaels' promos leading up to the match was so raw and broke kayfabe so well, that fans didn't turn on Shawn and cheer Hulk - in fact, many stuck with Michaels, and even sympathized. By this time, talk of Hogan's tendency to "hold back top stars" was all over the internet, and fans ate it up. The match delivered too, with Michaels putting Hogan over. TIME - 21:24.

Match #7 - Edge vs Matt Hardy

Edge vs Hardy was a match people wanted if only for closure. The real life drama between Adam Copeland and Matt Hardy had come to a head months earlier, as Copeland's illicit affair with Matt's girlfriend Amy Dumas hit the net, resulting in Hardy blogging his personal life and taking shots at the next star-in-the-making, and getting himself fired as a result. Fans rallied behind Hardy, and WWF rehired him, using the real life drama in an impromptu feud between the two men. This match didn't deliver as it could have, but just the real life drama alone was enough to add to the card before the main event. TIME - 4:50.

Match #8 - The Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage (WWF Title)

The forgotten match from Wembley, this feud was fantastic. It was two faces squaring off for the WWF title. I even remember the day on Superstars when it was announced - I marked out HUGE for the idea of Warrior / Savage. Warrior was fresh off his return at WM8, and Savage had gone through the war with Ric Flair to win back the WWF Title. But wait - Ric Flair and Mr. Perfect HAD to get involved, and the saga over "Who's Corner will Mr. Perfect be in?" dominated weekly WWF TV. It also tainted both men's credibility - would either of them sell out to Flair's Executive Advisor? Well, no. Perfect was in Flair's corner the whole time, and after a great battle, Savage was attacked by Perfect and a count out resulted. It set up Flair winning the belt back from Savage in Hershey, and both men remained faces. The anticipated "Ultimate Maniacs" tag team match never occured at SummerSlam, but the idea of a 2nd mega-powers was a fun thought while it lasted. TIME - 28:00.

Match #9 - Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit (WHC Match)

The arrival of Randy Orton, and a classic encounter between the Rabid Wolverine, worthless and forgettable title reign and all, vs a newly minted potential babyface in Randy Orton. The match was back and forth, lots of near falls, and resulted in Orton's first World Heavyweight Title reign. At the time, it was an awesome moment, and the handshake afterwards was cool as well. Not as historically significant, but this gives us a good match and a clean win at the end of the PPV. TIME - 20:08.

TOTAL TIME - 2 hours, 22 minutes, 36 seconds of wrestling.

1. Tag Team Title: Champs The Natural Disasters V The Beverly Brothers (Can't find time say 10 mins.)
Wanted Hart Foundation/Demolition but wanted Bret Hart for later in show.

2. ECW Championship: Champion John Morrison V CM Punk (8:12)
There feud was good and I enjoyed almost all of there matches wiht each other. Can see these 2 battling for a more serious title down the line.

3. Loser spends the night in a NYC jail: The Big Bossman V The Mountie (9:38)
Innovative idea, well carried off and the Mountie being hauled off after the match was what we all wanted to see.

4. European Title: Champ Davey Boy Smith V Ken Shamrock (7:29)
Great match to further the Bulldog as a heel whilst also playing on Shamrock as the World's most dangerous man.
Wanted Bulldog against Bret Hart but felt that Bret/Owen was a must have on my card.

5. Unsanctioned Street Fight: Shawn Micheals V Triple H. (27:50)
Great match especially when you consider how long Shawn had been out for.

6. Tag Team Turmoil Match: The Acolytes V The Hardy Boyz V Edge & Christian V Mideon & Viscera V Droz & Albert V The Hollys
Show was running short so decided the throw an extra match in. Had looked at putting Edge in a few times and wanted to use Christian and the Hardy's as well. Enjoyed the Acolytes and preffered them as the hard heels before they went face as the APA.
(Unsure of Time, About 15 mins?)

Diva Dodge Ball: Diva Search Contestants beat RAW Divas
Not a match but throw it in as a skit/segment to compensate for lack of Divas match (10 mins)

7. I-C Title: The Ultimate Warrior V The Honky Tonk Man (0.38)
Liked the suppense of who was going to fight Honky Tonk and the ego of Honky as the heel who could beat anyone, yet he was destroyed seconds.

8. WWF Title Match in a steel cage: Champ Bret Hart V Owen Hart (32:17)
Would have been my main event had it been the main event of the Summerslam 94.

9. Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage V Andre the Giant & Ted DiBiase - Jesse Ventura was referee (13:57)
Ted DiBiase was the ultimate heel. Simple gimmick but he played it to perfection. I just hated him, Savage was my favourite and Liz ripping her skirt off allowing the powers to regroup and get the win was priceless.

If I have got times right I think that show runs just about 2 hours 20 mins, which leaves 40 mins for entrance/promos.

Matches which only just missed out.
Virgil V Ted DiBiase to win Ted's "Million Dollar Belt" (91)
Ladder Match for Hardcore title: Rob Van Dam V Jeff Hardy (2001)
Tag Team Title: Champions Demolition V The Hart Foundation (88)
Tag Team Title: The Hart Foundation V Demolition in a best of 3 falls match (90)
I-C Title: Bret Hart V Curt Hennig (91)
WWF Champ Hulk Hogan & The Ultimate Warrior beat Sgt. Slaughter,Col. Mustafa, & General Adnan - special ref Sid Justice (91)
The Legion of Doom beat Ted DiBiase & IRS (92)
Rick Martel V Shawn Michaels In a match where no one was allowed to be hit in the face (92) - Just for ridiculous stipulation
World Title: The Ultimate Warrior V Randy Savage (92)
I-C Title: Davey Boy Smith V Bret Hart (92)
I-C Title: Steve Austin V Owen Hart (97)
Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match for Tag Team Title: Edge & Christian V The Hardy Boyz V The Dudley Boyz (2000)

1. Barry Horowitz v. Skip (1995)(11:21)
Reason: Horowitz's first win under his new jobber gimmick

2. ECW Championship- John Morrison v. CM Punk (2007)(7:07)
Reason: These two work well together and would be a nice first or second pay-per view match

3. Kurt Angle v. Eddie Guerrero (2004)(13:37)
Reason: Loved the chemistry between these two and was a solid match

4. WWE Undisputed Championship- Brock Lesnar v. Rock (2002)(14:38)
Reason: Helped Lesnar become a dominant force for the next two years and followed one of the best years for a rookie in WWE history

5. Goldust v. Brian Pillman (1997)(7:15)
Reason: One of Pillman's final pay-per view matches-R.I.P.

6. TLC Match- WWF Tag Team Championship- Edge & Christian v. Hardy Boyz v. Dudley Boyz (2000)(18:51)
Reason: First TLC match and had very good high spots and solidified the tag team division

7. Chavo v. Rey Mysterio (2006)(10:59)
Reason: Okay match and buildup since Chavo cost Mysterio the World Heavyweight Championship

8. Intercontinental Championship- Bret Hart v. Mr. Perfect (1991)(18:04)
Reason: Bret Hart's first Intercontinental title and one of my most underrated title matches

9. Elimination Chamber- World Heavyweight Championship- Triple H v. Goldberg v. Chris Jericho v. Randy Orton v. Kevin Nash v. Shawn Michaels
(2003)(19:12)
Reason: 2nd best Elimination Chamber match IMO.....Loved the dominance by Goldberg especially his spear on Orton......The beatdown on Goldberg was better than the finish IMO

This lasted 2 hours....Short for a pay-per view.....I considered putting Mankind v. Undertaker (1996) but it was a Boiler Room Brawl and I didn't want to take out the Elimination Chamber or the TLC match

Also wanted to put JBL v. Undertaker (2004) but I didn't know if you could have the WWE Title and the WWE Undisputed Title both on there since it's basically the same title

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back