UFC HOF: Sean Sherk

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Next in our thread series of whether or not a fighter is UFC Hall of Fame worthy is hopefully going to be another spirited debate like the Brock thread sort of was.

20090522090728_320.jpg

Credentials:

36-4-1 Record, 1 Time UFC Lightweight Champion
2 W - Karo Parisyan (B-Leagues)
W - Nick Diaz (UFC 59)
W - Kenny Florian (UFC 64, Became Lightweight Champion)
W - Hermes Franca (UFC 73, Defended Lightweight Championship)
W - Tyson Griffin (UFC 90)
W - Evan Dunham (UFC 119)

He's been inactive since September of 2010 due to injuries and before that point, he had a 16 month layoff. I think it's fairly safe to say that Sherk has pretty much retired at this point. If that is indeed the case, what is his legacy as far as his place in UFC history? He claims that he should be a Hall of Famer. However, in your opinion, where does he place?

As far as his place in the record books goes, he was the first UFC Lightweight Champion the company had after the belt was retired for four years. He won the belt in a very tough fight against Kenny Florian. After the point, he defended the title in a ho-hum decision against Hermes Franca in a fight where both guys got popped for PEDs afterwards. Sherk appealed the test and had his suspension reduced to six months, and then lost to BJ Penn in an attempt to win his title back. From there, he beat Tyson Griffin, lost to Frankie Edgar, and beat Evan Dunham in a controversial win. He hasn't fought since.

Sherk only has four losses on his record. All of those losses came to Championship level fighters (Hughes, GSP, Penn, Edgar). However, many of his 36 wins came against cans. Sure, he had a 31-1-1 record prior to losing to GSP, but none of those wins came against guys who you could say are legitimate competition, and that includes a young Karo Pariysan and Manny Gamburyan.

I always liked Sherk, but the fact of the matter is that his record is spotty at best, plus the steroid allegations don't help him. His only successful title defense was against Hermes Franca, who went on to be a convicted child molester and furthermore, he was never that good in the first place.

As much as Sherk wants to be a Hall of Famer, I think he'd only gain consideration if he truly wasn't retired and was able to go on one more run for the Lightweight Title. He hasn't fought in two years, but if he were to return, he'd probably be given a tough opponent like Jim Miller, Clay Guida, or Gray Maynard, and would probably be 2-3 wins away from a title shot.

Where do you guys think Sherk fits in? Do you think he's good enough to be considered a Hall of Famer?

I don't think anyone who has been caught using PED's should be considered. While he was very successful and also the best the Welterweight division had at the time. I can't help but feel that this will outweigh his accomplishments.

He is a terrific wrestler that has good/fast hands and has tested himself against the best the UFC has offered at Lightweight and Welterweight. If he gets into the UFC, I see it as cheapening something that is meant to be known as a platform where the best have served within the UFC. With that being said, the thought of even though he was only caught once using, does that mean he only did it once...? Or is that the only time he was caught?

While I'm no advocate for steroids, just because a guy tests positive for banned substances shouldn't necessarily mean he doesn't deserve to be considered for the HOF. That one positive testing aside Sean Sherk has one of the most incredible training and work sets you'll see in any athlete, nobody works harder to improve themselves.

As for his fighting credentials, I loved his title run. It wasn't long but his fight to win the vacant belt against Florian and the title defense against Franca are two of my very favorite UFC title fights in history. I've never been bored during a Sherk fight, his wrestling is beyond compare and although he never really finished anyone on the feet his boxing is so much fun to watch. He put on killer fights with Tyson Griffin, Frankie Edgar and even his fight with Dunham that was close was still an exciting fight.

I have alot of respect for the guys who were here in the early days and fought until recently or are still fighting, he debuted against Tiki at UFC 30 and has fought 11 times since in the promotion. He fought Hughes for the Welterweight title when the division was ruled by him, won the lightweight title, defended it and had tons of great fights under the banner. For me he's one of those top guys of that era where himself and guys like Hughes, Liddell, Couture and Ortiz were king, he's one of my heros and showed what a dominant wrestling game and good cardio can do.

I'll admit even I say it's a 50-50 call putting him in, I'd love to see it and I think he deserves it but I don't think Dana will be convinced. He'll always be a legend and hall of famer in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back