UFC 139: Shogun vs. Henderson

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
UFC-139-poster.jpg

[YOUTUBE]b55CdOwKz3k[/YOUTUBE]​
Main Card
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Dan Henderson (No. 9 LHW) vs. Mauricio Rua (No. 10 PFP, No. 2 LHW)
  • Bantamweight Bout: Urijah Faber (No. 3 BW) vs. Brian Bowles (No. 4 BW)
  • Middleweight Bout: Wanderlei Silva vs. Cung Le
  • Welterweight Bout: Rick Story vs. Martin Kampmann
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Stephan Bonnar vs. Kyle Kingsbury
Preliminary Card (Televised)
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Ryan Bader vs. Jason Brilz
  • Middleweight Bout: Chris Weidman vs. Tom Lawlor
Preliminary Card
  • Bantamweight Bout: Nick Pace vs. Miguel Torres
  • Lightweight Bout: Gleison Tibau vs. Rafael dos Anjos
  • Lightweight Bout: Danny Castillo vs. Shamar Bailey
  • Welterweight Bout: Matt Brown vs. Seth Baczynski
  • Bantamweight Bout: Michael McDonald vs. Alex Soto
UFC 139 is pretty fucking stacked. From top to bottom, this card should deliver one hell of a night of fights. I could literally see any one of the fights on the card winning fight of the night because they all have the potential to be amazing. Alright, that's enough of me over selling this show, though it is totally rightfully so.

The main event will see Dan Henderson make his return to the UFC against Mauricio Shogun Rua. Both men are Pride legends and I would have loved to see this fight go down back when Pride was still in operation. But instead we get to see it now, when both guys are just as good as back then. Had this fight taken place 6 years ago, I would have taken Shogun with no questions asked, however, Hendo has been on one hell of a run since Pride closed. I could honestly see this fight going either way. That said, I do think that Shogun will still take this fight. Hendo has some heavy hands but he isn't as fast as Rua, which I think will be the determining factor. Rua's hands will be faster and lead him to a TKO victory. Should be an amazing fight.

The co-main event should be just as exciting as the main event. Wanderlei and Cung Le are heavy hitters and I expect them to come out swinging. It's no secret that I don't like Cung Le and will be vehemently cheering against him. That said, as much as I want Wandy to win I just don't think he will be able to pull it off. Cung hasn't been through the wars that Wandy has and his chin isn't as worn out. Cung only needs to connect once to put Wandy down and out, which makes me sad saying. I will be cheering for Wandy though and I hope to god he pulls off the win.

Urijah Faber and Brian Bowles are fighting in what will probably decide who the next contender is for Dominick Cruz's belt. Both guys are former champs and very solid. Faber was obviously the face of WEC for a long time, whereas Bowles had a short run with the Bantamweight belt before Cruz beat him for it. Faber will look to bounce back from his loss to Cruz and Bowles will try to stay on the roll he is on. Both guys are good but I think Faber's size advantage will be what gets him the win.

Story vs. Kampmann should be solid. Kampmann is well rounded but he wants to keep this fight standing. Story is a very strong wrestler who could easily ground n' pound or control Kampmann en route to a decision. But then again he may try to stand and bang. Should be fun.

Bonnar returns to face the red hot Kyle Kingsbury. Bonnar has turned his career around as of late, whereas KK is looking to move up the ladder into the upper echelon of the division. I think both guys will stand and bang and this one should be a war. I have KK by decision.

Oh how the promising have fallen. In one short year Ryan Bader went from co-main event fighter to the prelims. Brilz has also had a pretty rough time as of late. Both guys are in desperate need of a win, Brilz more then Bader, though I think either will be cut with a loss. Bader has the benefit of TUF champ on his side. Both guy will try to bang, Bader has the wrestling edge and Brilz is a better grappler. Should be a solid fight and I see Bader knocking Brilz out.

I love Tom Lawlor. I have since he was on TUF. He is one of my favorite fighters. I don't know much about Weidman but I am sure he is a solid fighter. Lawlor is very well rounded but he is best with his grappling. I see Lawlor pulling off the decision.

The rest of the undercard is just as awesome. Miguel Torres will try to get back to his winning ways. Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Gleison Tibau should be a great war between two Lightweight's who really want to break the upper echelon of the division. Castillo vs. Bailey should be a fun fight. Matt Brown is never in a boring fight. And Michael MacDonald is one of the best prospects in the Bantamweight division, no easy task considering Alex Soto is undefeated.

UFC 139 should be a fantastic show and I cannot wait for Saturday to get here.

UFC: 139

Shogun Rua vs Dan Henderson:

Great main event here as two titans of the LHW division look to tussle for the first, despite hovering around each other for the first time. I consider it a treat and one of the greatest showdowns of all time, though it's a shame it that Henderson didn't get Jones before Machida. Joe Silva made the mistake of giving Machida a title shot which makes no sense considering a red hot Dan Henderson had a more legitimate claim. You know, if we were to make the most exciting and dick provoking match ups out of Machida, Jones, Henderson and Shogun these 2 fights would be it but it just doesn't feel right for Lyoto to receive a title shot with a win over Couture.

Rick Story vs Martin Kampmann

Rick Story is a very hardworking fighter with some good qualities but Kampmann is probably one of the most well roundad fighters in the UFC and unless Kampmann goes out there and brawls he should take this considering his great takedown defence and technical striking.

Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le

This, to me, is the closest UFC will come to a 'freakshow' fight again. It holds zero relevance and both guys are here for entertainment pruposes only. Havin said that, it really is a fin fight, Le has deadly kicks and above average punches but Wanderlie can in actuality bull rush Le and pressure him enough to negate those strange kicking technques that require space and time to execute. Unfortunately for Wanderlie his defences are horrible and he has a disfunctional chin. Great fight but I have it slightly in Wanderlie's corner.

Other thoughts:

Kyle Kingsbury vs Bonnar should be a war, can't wait. Bowles vs Faber should be great too but I feel as Faber's quantitative striking will be too much for Bowles. And keep an eye out on Chris Weedman who is on his way to Rory McDonald status, he's an excellent young fighter who should destroy Tom Lawlor. Apologies to Lawlor fans out there but he ain't winning :)

Anybody who knows me knows I'm a MASSIVE Shogun Rua fan, and I got to tell you, I could not love this match-up anymore than I do.

Unless Hendo pins Shogun against the cage (and I don't think he will), I really don't see how he wins this fight. I think Henderson will rely on his overhand right, once again, to win the fight, but that will not work against Shogun. First of all, if he connects, Shogun's chin is good enough to take it. And secondly, Shogun is simply the better, more diverse striker. The man has iron fist, his leg kicks and body are brutal, and he really knows how to mix his striking up really well so you don't know what's coming. Also, he's the best finisher in MMA when he rocks someone, and Hendo has been rocked in his last two fights. If Hendo gets rocked against Shogun, Shogun will finish him with the best hammerfists in the sport. And that's exactly how I see the fight going down.

This Shogun/Hendo fight has been years in the making. When Hendo knocked Wanderlei Silva out at Pride 133 and gave that extra, unnecessary shot after Wandy was out, you could see the worried look on Shogun's face. You know he's been waiting for this fight ever since that moment, and now that he finally has it... I'm certain revenge will be his.

Urijah Faber vs. Brian Bowles should be a great fight but it's a hard one to predict. Both guys are well rounded and should cancel out each others abilities, so I basically see a 3 round slug fest. Whoever takes it... your guess is as good as mine. I'm not particularly a fan of either fighter, so I don't care who wins; I just hope it's a great fight.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Cung Le is a fight I'm really looking forward to. I don't think Wandy is as washed-up as a lot of people seem to believe. When you look at his knockout losses the last couple of years, it's not like they were against bums. They were all against guys who biggest attribute is their knockout power. Vitor, Hendo, Cro Cop, Rampage, and Leben are the only guys to knock Wandy out in 46 fights. And the Leben fight, I mean, come on... that was obviously Wandy being overly excited after a year and a half long lay off. He should have set his flurries up better, but instead he went in there banging right away and it cost him deeply. With a different gameplan, that fight would have gone a LOT differently, because the fact is, Wanderlei Silva is still one of the best, most deadly strikers in MMA.

As far as Cung Le goes... I think people underrate him. His striking is actually really good, and his wrestling is fucking phenomenal. His only problem is that he doesn't go for the kill. The problem with rising to fame early on is that when you don't have the opportunity to fight cans for your first 10 or so fights, you don't gain the experience you need to learn how to finish someone when they're hurt.

Anyways, if Wanderlei paces himself, I think he takes this one. Cung Le's a good striker, but he's cautious and carefully picks his shots, plus he has a questionable jaw, heart, and gas tank. That's all perfect for Wandy's style. The only thing I worry is that if Wanderlei doesn't finish early and is getting the best of Le on the feet, that Le resorts to his wrestling and then we witness Wandy vs. Arona for the 3rd time. That would really suck, but hopefully this one stays on the feet and Wandy finishes Cung in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Rick Story vs. Martin Kampmann... good fight for Kampmann. You can't grapplefuck Kampmann; it's as simple as that. He'll keep it on the feet and finish Story standing. It'll be good to see Kampmann pick up the victory since he was screwed out of one in his last fight with Diego Sanchez.

Stephan Bonnar vs. Kyle Kingsbury... don't care. Kingsbury's an overrated bum who got a gift decision in his last fight, and Bonnar will never be a legitimate contender in the Light Heavyweight Division. Meaningless fight, but hopefully it ends up being a decent brawl.

Ryan Bader vs. Jason Brilz is intriguing I guess. I think the UFC thinks this will be an easy fight to get Bader back on track, but I don't see it that way. Brilz is well rounded and could win this fight a lot of different ways. It'll be interesting to see how this goes down. But, I really don't care.

I really like Chris Weidman and this fight with Tom Lawlor will be his biggest test to date and will show us where he's at at this point. I'm rooting for him to do well. Weidman is the kind of wrestler I respect in the fact he entered the sport and learned BJJ, rather than MMA stalling wrestling. If only more were like him...

And the only other Prelim fight worth commenting on is Gleison Tibau vs. Rafael dos Anjos, which I'm pissed is not being televised. But yeah... Tibau is a highly underrated, very skilled veteran with a bunch of tricks up his sleeve, while dos Anjos is one of the most promising young Lightweights around. This fight will be fireworks and whoever wins deserves a shot at a big name in their next fight.

This card is absolutely stacked, if I had the money I would be going seeing as it’s about 30 minutes away but I’ll have to live with watching at a sports bar somewhere. I’m still pumped as hell for the whole card from top to bottom and cannot wait to see two legends I respect the hell out of, finally throw down when Shogun and Hendo meet on Saturday night.

Shamar Bailey vs Danny Castillo
Shamar is a tough son of a bitch, we learned that in his fight with Evan Dunham where he took everything that the former lightweight contender could dish out and kept coming. But with that being said he reminded us once again that when he can’t get you down and control you he relies on very basic boxing, but he does have some power to add to it. Castillo fared much better when he face a former lightweight contender in his UFC debut when he picked up a Unanimous Decision over Joe Stevenson, and after a good run in the WEC where he scored solid wins over Ricardo Lamas and Dustin Poirier he has proven to be a young man on the rise despite a minor set back in his most recent fight where he lost a decision to Jacob Volkmann. Bailey is a tough kid, but Castillo is much more experienced and well rounded, he will have the advantage in just about every position. That being said I think that Bailey’s tenacity will keep him in this fight to the end, but in a losing effort.
Castillo by Decision

Seth Baczynski vs Matt Brown
Seth is a guy that I really enjoyed watching on The Ultimate Fighter 11 but didn’t expect him to find much success, especially after losing his fight at the TUF finale to Brad Tavares and getting cut from the UFC. But after the cut he got more serious, picked up two knockout wins in other promotions and found his way back to the octagon at UFC Fight Night: Sheilds vs Ellenburger, and in his return he dominated TUF 13 cast member Clay Harvison by controlling the action on thee feet and rocking him before securing a Rear Naked Choke. Brown has had his ups and downs in the promotion since a good run on TUF 7, his fighting mindset is the epitome of the warrior’s spirit and when he fights he does so to hurt and finish you. This has worked for him in his fights with Pete Sell, James Wilks and John Howard most recently, however he has a weakness when it comes to guys with good wrestling and submission skills like Ricardo Almeida, Chris Lytle and Brian Foster. Brown will put up a fight on the feet but Seth will capitalize on his opponent’s weakness with his strength and pick up the submission.
Baczynski by Submission (Kimura)

Miguel Torres vs Nick Pace
This one is so lopsided it really isn’t even funny, former WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres looks to rebound from his last loss to recent title challenger Demitrious Johnson against rookie Nick Pace. Torres hasn’t been able to find his rhythm since losing his title to Brian Bowles back in 2009, he’s picked up two wins since but he isn’t the same fighter. Picking up a finish over Pace may be the first step to getting his groove back though, Pace is an impressive young gun who picked up the first victory by Pillory Choke in a Professional MMA bout in his UFC debut at the TUF 12 finale. Most recently though he lost a decision to Ivan Menjivar, he is a promising young talent but he is very much outmatched in this fight. Torre will do what he pleases with this rookie and finish him by either sub or TKO.
Torres by Submission (Whatever the fuck he wants)

Gleison Tibau vs Rafael Dos Anjos
Now this is a fight that I am looking forward to, a tough grizzled vet who is the Incredible Hulk of the Lightweights and a guy who started off rough in the UFC but has recently shown that he is a serious threat to any 55er. Gleison Tibau is a guy who has fought and beat some of the best around in his 14 UFC fights, with guys like Rich Clementi, Jeremy Stephens and Kurt Pelligrino on his hit list you know he means business. He is built like a tank and he fights like one as well, he never backs off and he has some damn good takedowns and power from any top position on the ground, which will probably come into play in this fight. Dos Anjos was welcomed to the UFC by Jeremy Stephens at UFC 91 with one of the gnarliest knockouts in UFC history. Aside from and losses to top fighters Tyson Griffin and Clay Guida, Dos Anjos has kicked ass since making it to the bit time, picking up very impressive wins recently, submitting Terry Etim and knocking out former contender George Soteropolis at UFC 132. Although Dos Anjos seems to have found his groove and is improving ever time we see him I don’t see him dealing with Gleison’s powerful top game, he might get ground and pounded out or he might survive to the judges decision but lose.
Tibau by TKO (Ground N Pound)

Tom Lawlor vs Chris Weidman
We’ve got a battle of two great wrestlers in this one, TUF 9 vet Tom Lawlor is going to have his toughest test of a wrestler since his fight with Ryan Bader when he steps in against unbeaten UFC newcomer and relative MMA newcomer Chris Weidman. Lawlor has definitely become a fan favorite since his stint on The Ultimate Fighter for amazing wars against Aaron Simpson and Joe Doerkson and his entertaining weigh in costumes, and I’ll admit I’m one of those fans. The only times he has tasted defeat were in a close stand up war with Simpson and the Doerkson fight where he nearly knocked out his opponent before gassing and being subbed. But since then he has worked on not blowing his cardio during his fights and playing it smart after his last win over Patrick Cote, but he’ll be in for a rough one Saturday. Weidman is a very impressive fighter with even more impressive wreslting, which he has used along with some good striking to pick up 6 wins in his young career including 2 wins in the UFC over Alessio Sakara and Jesse Bongfeldt. Weidman is a very athletic kid and he will use his wrestling in this fight to pick up the win, although if Lawlor won I would be happy with that.
Weidman by Decision

Michael McDonald vs Alex Soto
If you don’t know who Michael McDonald is then let me tell you that you should keep an eye on this bantamweight, he’s 13-1 and the only times he’s gone to a decision are his two most recent fights since coming to the UFC, before that his record consisted of 7 knockouts and 4 submissions. He’s a very entertaining fighter and he is going places here in the UFC, he faces newcomer Alex Soto this Saturday and will look to make it 3 in a row here on the grandest stage in MMA. Anything can happen and I’m not counting Soto out but I see him outmatched here and I expect McDonald to get back to his habit of finishing his opponents with a TKO here.
McDonald by TKO

Ryan Bader vs Jason Brilz
Yet again we have a battle of wrestlers, Ryan Bader will look to rebound from the two first losses in his his professional career when he steps in the octagon this Saturday. Brilz became a recognized name when he nearly beat Lil Nog a while back but since was knocked out by fellow Light Heavyweight Vladimir Matyushenko very early in his return after a decent layoff. Bader is going into this fight to prove that he is still one of the best at 205 and Brilz will be doing the same but I think that Ryan’s drive is going to push him and help him pick up a victory where he has a major advantage, the feet.
Bader by KO

Stephan Bonnar vs Kyle Kingsbury
If Faber-Bowles was not on this card I guarantee this one would be Fight Of The Night. Bonnar is ofcourse a legend in the UFC since his fight with Forrest Griffin back at the first TUF finale, he has had somewhat of a journeyman’s career in the UFC and he will always have a job there, but he isn’t someone to look past at all. Kingsbury has slowly been establishing himself as a contender at 205 after impressive wars with Jared Hamman and Fabio Maldonado, and a very quick finish over Ricardo Romero. I love both of these guys but Kingsbu is on the rise and he can do more with the win, I know he has what it takes to win this fight and do so in exciting fashion.
Kingsbury by Decision

Martin Kampann vs Rick Story
Well if it isn’t the unluckiest man to ever go to a decision and the guy who beat Thiago Alves but couldn’t beat Charlie Brenneman, just kidding. This one could be good, I don’t like Rick Story and I love Martin Kampmann but Martin sometimes has trouble pulling the trigger and is just content staying on the outside and trying to leg kick and jab his way to a win, that hasn’t worked out very well for him. I honestly think that after his loss to Paul Daley where he was beaten to shit he has lost some confidence but he definitely has the ability to take this if he wants it, especially since he survived Jake Shields and nearly beat him. Story is just going to try and wrestlefuck and dirtybox Kampmann in this one, he’ll probably succeed but I hope he doesn’t.
Story by Decision

Brian Bowles vs Urijah Faber
If this fight isn’t finished I definitely see this being Fight Of The Night, both guys are extremely athletic and fast, this one is going to be 100 mph the entire fight. I like Faber but I really like Bowles, as a matter of fact he’s my favorite guy at Bantamweight. I think that Faber is going to be the stronger man and dominate with his superior grappling and win a decision, however if Brian can hit him good on the feet I could see him putting his lights out with that powerful right hand of his that is very underrated. I know that Urijah will probably win this fight like the Wineland fight but I’m backing my boy here.
Bowles by KO

Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le
This is the first time that I can say I’m not excited for a Wanderlei Silva fight, I am expecting that this will be his last fight and even though normally I would say Cung Le doesn’t stand a chance, I think simply because of the state that Wandi is going to be in he had a decent chance. Le is very overrated in Strikeforce, he’s a good fighter but not even close to what they market him as. I see this one being a rough fight but I could not pick Le and live with myself, even though I think this is going to be a hard one I am backing Wandi.
Silva by Split Decision

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs Dan “Hendo” Henderson
Holy shit I have been wanting to see this one for quite some time, this is every Pride fan’s dream match and I will be going bonkers during this main event. I respect the hell out of both men and I like both of them but in this one my alligence lies with Hendo(sorry jmt). There is no way this fight will be boring, I think we’ll have roughly a 1 minute feeling out process followed by a bloody war that will end with Dan connecting and putting Shogun to sleep. Shogun looked like a reborn fighter against Griffin and Hendo has looked great since he knocked out Babalu, I am going to be so nervous during this fight because it’s going to end in the blink of an eye, I’m just hoping that Dan is not the one receiving that knock out, but he very well may be.
Hendo by KO

Bonus Predictions

Fight Of The Night: Kingsbury vs Bonnar
Knockout Of The Night: Dan Henderson
Submission Of The Night: Miguel Torres

This card is really good, i dont know how will be fotn, to many to choose from.

Shogun is the favorite against Henderson but how much trouble does he have with his knees? And we all know what Henderson will do, look for the right hand. I think Henderson will win by decision.

Wanderlei is going to lose sadly, his chin is not what is used to be. Unless he chases after Cung and cathes him he is going to lose in the first round.

Bowles-Faber winner is getting Dominick Cruz again(i think) Bowles has more power in his hands but Faber is a little bit faster and the wrestling is pretty even. Faber by Decision.

Kingsbury-Bonnar is going to be a brawl, like every Bonnar fight. Kingsbury will be stronger and i actually think he finishes Bonnar late in the first or early in the second.

If Kampmann has learned anything from the Sanchez fight then he will dominate Story but if he keeps backing up against the cage Story will take control of the fight. Kampmann by decision.

I also think Weidmann and Mcdonald will win and continue up the rankings.

I was honestly was happy to see Bader and Bonner pick up wins. They're two guys that I've been pulling for since I first saw them, and I was really happy especially for Bader, who now pretty much gets to keep his job.

On the other hand, I was freaking out the whole time Shogun couldn't muster up the power to finish Hendo in the 5th round. Shogun and Cro Cop were my two favorite guys for years, ever since my best friend who has been a MMA fanatic since '98 when our local video store first started keeping the VHS tapes on the shelf showed me some Pride DVDs, and I'm pretty bummed to see that Cro Cop is officially done, while Shogun essentially is done.

Shogun v Hendo was an amazing fight. One of the very best I've ever seen. I'm really, really bummed that Shogun was on the losing end, but I had a feeling he would be, anyway. All congrats to Hendo for an epic win, all congrats to Shogun for staying in the fight all the way, and congrats to both men for putting on a spectacle of a battle. It sucks to see your favorite fighter's career pretty well boil down, but after that loss to JBJ, I kind of thought it was. 139 was great stuff.

Well for the most part that went the way I planned, called the first 7 fights up to the main card and then dropped to 2-3 but man was I happy with the card overall.

Very impressive showings on the undercard, especially Chris Weidman who was able to pick up that first round submission win over Tom Lawlor by D'Arce Choke, I am more and more impressed by that guy every time I see him. The spike fights were great, McDonald was very deserving of Knock Out Of The Night as when he first rocked Soto I nearly spilled my drink yelling "oh snap"! Bader picked up a nice win as well when he KO'd Jason Brilz, I'm sad for Jason because I've been a supporter since his war with Lil Nog but he didn't stand much chance standing against Bader.

The main card had some great stuff, I shouldn't have bet against Kampann, Bonnar or Faber, but I really wanted Kingsbury and Bowles to win and I didn't really take the time to think on the Story-Kampmann fight and didn't consider how great martin is at getting back up and punishing, which lead to his victory so I was very pleasantly surprised there.

Wanderlei.....man I was both a little surprised and relieved when I got the text from my friend in all caps saying Wandi TKO'd Le. I checked it out later but man, Wanderlei was getting picked on by Cung Le and he didn't look like he was going to last much longer. The just like the Wanderlei of the old days he tagged that guy and sent him napping, very happy that he picked up this much needed win, so happy that he got to celebrate a win instead of most likely ending his career.

Finally the highlight of my night, holy shit Dan Henderson made me so happy tonight, I wanted him to win this one so bad and the fact that he pulled it off and delivered an amazing fight with Shogun that was probably a strong fight of the year candidate just made it amazing. I was worried about him in the end because he was dog tired that last round but damn did he sling some leather throughout this instant classic. Hats off to Shogun, I love that guy and you can't have an amazing fight like that with one guy and I have always been a fan of his, but tonight I was behind a guy that I love in Hendo. Shogun came back in that last round and I was seriously worried about Dan but fortunatly he survived and he put enough of a beating of Rua in the earlier round to secure the win. Amazing fight, very glad that Silva-Le and Rua-Henderson both got Fight Of The Night because they all deserved that 70k bonus. Excellent fights overall, very happy with UFC 139.

Great show last night. loved every minute of it. Quick analysis.

Hendo vs. Rua was an absolute war. I think the right man won, but in a fight like that both guys win in the end, one way or another. Both guys were fucking zombies, especially Hendo in that fourth period. I give both of these warriors all the respect in the world. Awesome fight, and my favorite of the year.

WANDY BABY!!! I was worried about this match up but am so glad Wandy proved me wrong. His chin looked good last night. He took some solid shots and kept coming forward. Very impressive. Not a fan of Cung but he gave it his all. However, he did not look like he was in good shape at all. I wouldn't be mad to see Wandy retire on this high note, but I would also love to see him fight again.

Faber looked awesome. I can't wait to see him finish the trilogy with Dominick Cruz now. Bowles should bounce back, but I don't think we will ever challenge for a UFC Bantamweight belt again. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Kampmann won the decision fair and square. I love how the Rick Story hype train has effectively halted. Kampmann is still a dangerous fighter for anyone in the Welterweight division. Good win.

Bonnar looked very good in his win over KK. Bonnar is actually on a bit of a role lately and even though he'll never fight for a belt, it is nice to see him doing well.

Very sad to see my boy Tom Lawler lose. I love the guy, but he is a stepping stone.

I'm relatively new to the UFC, admittedly only really following bits and pieces after seeing Warrior at the cinema then watching TUF 14 from the start, but I saw the Shogun - Hendo fight last night and was blown away by it.

At points in the first 3 rounds, I thought it was seconds away from being over, only for Shogun to cover up long enough and escape the poundings he was taking from Hendo. The last 2 rounds literally had me on the edge of my seat as Shogun was gaining the upper hand, ironically after one of the commentators had commented that he was starting to look tired in the 2nd or 3rd round. When Shogun pretty much kicked off the 4th round by going for a take-down rather than going toe-to-toe, I got a feeling this would become a great match as Shogun would have to pull something out of the bag to win the fight given how Hendo pretty much dominated the first 3 rounds.

Awesome fight and I'm going to try and watch some more stuff, so if anyone has any recommendations then I'd be open to hearing them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back