• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami - Diese Karte ist Scheiße

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
[YOUTUBE]JKGE_9gWJiY[/YOUTUBE]

UFC_122_Poster.jpg

MAIN CARD

• Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs Yushin Okami
  • Middleweight bout: Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara
  • Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Andre Winner
  • Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Peter Sobotta
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic

Preliminary Card (Non-televised)

• Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexandre Ferreira
  • Welterweight bout: Duane Ludwig vs. Nick Oscipzak
  • Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Rob Kimmons
  • Light Heavyweight bout: Seth Petruzelli vs. Karlos Vemola
  • Welterweight bout: Kris McCray vs. Carlos Rocha
  • Welterweight bout: Pascal Krauss vs. Mark Scanlon

Alright, the UFC has been banned from German TV, but they're putting this card on in the country anyway because they still have a fanbase.

This is a card that will surely get the UFC as a major topic of conversation!

This is, by far, the worst card the UFC has EVER put together.

Holy shit. Shark Fights put on a more star studded card last month. The main event is a solid co-main event at best. Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara was supposed be a Spike prelim for UFC 118, and it is now a main card co-main event. The rest wouldn't even make the main card of an Ultimate Fighter Finale or even a Fight Night.

Does anyone really want to see Marquardt get another title shot? Okami could take the title from Silva, but he'd have to do it in the fashion Sonnen won in, and it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining. Okami's going to win this fight by the way, because Marquardt showed in the Sonnen fight that he couldn't stuff a takedown to save his life.

Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara (ALESSIO SAKARA IS CO-MAIN EVENTING A CARD) should be a fun slugfest.

I really have nothing. I am extremely bored so I made a thread for this card out of sheer obligation to. If you are a sadist, you will reply to this thread. I fully expect zero replies to this thread and that's the way it should be.

Yikes. Saying this card has big names is like saying a Comedy Central Roast has stars on it. When Nate Marquardt is your big headliner, the card is going to look like shit. That isn't a shot at Nate, but really he isn't a huge name or someone that casual fans are interested in. Now he does have a fan base and always fights a fun fight, but this one is just so damn predictable to me. Okami by decision. The only way I walk away happy from this headliner is if Okami goes on to take the belt from Anderson. I'm hoping that Vitor does that first though.

Besides the main event, NONE of these fights matter. A little harsh, but absolutely true. It's going to a card to watch for fun, not for relevance. You can't really judge how good a card is going to be by it's lineup as sometimes the ones that look good on paper end up sucking....looking at you 119. I like Sadollah and want to see him put together a string of wins and we have the debut of Krauss who is supposed to be something special. I'll watch it, but I'm not sure how many others will.

This card really is shit. Okami will destroy Nate The Great. Nate can't stop Okami from working his offense. If Nate loses this, like he should, I think he can kiss any chance of a title shot goodbye. I mean EVER. He'll never get another UFC shot when he loses. I really hope Alessio Sakara gets knocked the fuck out by Rivera. (HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS CO-MEing?!) Aside from those 2 fights I'm only interested in Sadollah. I really hope he picks up this win, he's one of my favorites. I've liked him ever since TUF.

Yeah, not much to say about this card. The UFC obviously had to put together a card for November and this was all they could come up with. They should honestly just put it on free TV because this card won't draw well at all. There are zero no real big, marketable names on it.

Marquardt vs. Okami will clear up the Middleweight title picture and probably give us our next Anderson Silva opponent after Belfort, he is still number 1 contender right? I actually don't mind either fighter but I will be pulling for Okami. I enjoy him more as a fighter and believe he has evolved a ton since his UFC debut. Not to mention he is Anderson Silva's last loss, and even though it was controversial, I would like to see them match up again.

Sakara vs. Rivera doesn't really interest me. There is a fair amount of hype surrounding Rivera as of late. He has been on a bit of a hot streak and his win over Nate Quarry was impressive. I hope Rivera wins based solely on the all the shit he and his family has gone through.

Siver vs. Winner is an undercard fight at best.

Sadollah vs. Sobotta isn't interesting at all.

Kryztof vs. Reljic does interest, but only because I like the Polish Experiment and I want him to rebound from his ass beating at the hands of Bonnar. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Kryztof fight Bonnar again. Reljic isn't a bad fighter so this won't be an easy fight by any means, but like most of the fights on this card, it isn't really main card worthy.

It is sad to see Vlady fighting on the undercard. He is a lower main card kind of performer but Jon Jones beat him so bad he sent him back to the undercard. I am interested to see if Kyle Noke can keep his hype train going strong, I hope so. And, there will be a Seth Petruzzli sighting which means I might get to see my boy Tom Lawlor. Overall, this card is poop and all of the fights but one should be on the undercard. The UFC should be kicking themselves over this one.

UFC 122= Huge Meh!

Marquardt didn't really win his last match decisively at all so i don't really don't know what to expect from him coming into this fight but based on a normal Marquardt fight should be fun but nothing special in other words it will be average. Okami will grind out the decision, Yushin just seems to me like the stronger opponent and indeed has come a long way since beginning in the UFC. Anything else i don't really care sorry to say, looks like im live streaming this one guys. UFC i am disappointed in you, but i'll get over it.

Nate wins by brutal tekken combo. Card's pretty awful but I like Nate so I'll probably download that fight and skip the rest. That's the problem with a lot of the UFC's weight divisions, they're pretty thin when it comes to fighters people give a shit about.

They should honestly just put it on free TV because this card won't draw well at all. There are zero no real big, marketable names on it.

It is on Spike. I think they know that it wouldn't do to well if it was a PPV. I'm surprised they are traveling all the way to Germany, with this card. This is the first time I care more about the prelims than the main card.

Now after Nate was given that gift by Palhares, he faces a big challenge in Okami. I do like Nate, but would rather see Okami win, and go on to face the Silva/Belfort winner (which we all know will most likely be Silva). Okami has a better chance at beating Silva than Nate does. I still don't agree that Nate is fighting for a number contender spot, since he only is on a one fight winning streak, another reason I want Okami to win!

Rivera vs. Sakara - Doesn't seem like it should be a co-main event at all. At least with this fight it should end in someone getting knocked out.

Siver vs. Winner - A fight I could give care less about. I'm not a fan of either fighter. Have to give the edge to Siver as he fights well in Germany posting a record of 6-1 while fighting there.

Sadollah vs. Sobotta - Is a fight where each of these guys needs a win badly. The German Sobotta has lost both of his fights so far in the UFC. Amir is coming off a loss that he was dominated by Hyun Kim. I would say that whoever losses will probably be cut from the UFC.

Soszynski vs. Reljic - Doesn't really seem like a main card fight at all. I guess with the 2 wars with Bonnar, the UFC is hoping Soszynski will continue to fight like that. Reljic I would assume will be cut if he losses this fight having lost 2 of his 3 UFC fights, including his past two.

For the prelims, It will be interesting what Kyle Noke will do. He should win since his opponent losses to anyone that is a name. Hopefully the first "Kimbo Killer" Seth Petruzelli can pick up a win. Also will be interesting to see what Kris McCray can do in his first fight since losing TUF to Court McGee.

This is how little I care about this event: I will read the spoilers. Yep, you read that right, and if Okami doesn't win, and there are no, "HOLY FUCK AWESOME!" fights apart of the show, then I'm not tuning in. I'd rather watch mediocre NBA games than this, IF the following doesn't occur.

But, yeah... rooting for Okami, hard. Nothing against Marquardt, but Okami deserves a fucking shot at the title and now Marquardt if the only person standing in his way. Hopefully he brings it to that motherfucker, and pwns him like Chael Sonnen did. I know he can do it.

And as far as the rest of the fights, don't care for any of them, literally. Jorge Rivera vs. Alessio Sakara will either be a FOTY candidate, or a major disappointment. Dennis Siver will kill Andre Winner, or win a boring decision. Amir Sadollah is fighting some no-name. Seriously, has there ever been a TUF winner as babied as Amir Sadollah? Give the guy a tough opponent for once, geez. And fuck Krzysztof Soszynski; hopefully he gets his ass handed to him.

All in all, terrible card. Vitor Belfort vs. Okami would have saved it, but the UFC fucked over us on this one. Damn shame....

This card was meh in my opinion. I didn't expect much and it didn't really give me much. Though, the undercard did seem a bit fun, to bad none of those fights were televised. Oh well.

Okami vs. Marquardt was boring. Marquardt really needs to work on his gameplan against wrestlers because Sonnen and Okami both use a lot of wrestling and both beat him. Other then that, not a whole lot else to say. I figured Okami would control Marquardt and he in fact did so.

Siver vs. Winner was decent only because Siver put a beating on Winner. Very nice rear naked choke from Wiver.

Amir Sadollah broke the record for kicks landed in a three round fight. Very impressive, but the fight itself did nothing for me. Amir will likely become a nice gatekeeper of some sort but nothing else really. Winner will probably get cut and I couldn't care less.

Krzyzstof vs. Reljic was alright but forgettable. I like Krzyzstof and it was good to see him win. Reljic is a sad story and this will probably be his final UFC fight. He had so much potential and after a terrible back injury he just seems to have lost all of his snap.

Ludwig vs. Ospiczak had a great first round and then two very boring rounds. Couldn't care less that either man won or lost.

Glad to see Kyle Noke pick up a win and to see that Vlady won.

I personally wasn't impresed with okami's win at all. Honestly if nate had done somthing with that final takedown he might of won it. I was literally screaming at the tv for him to shoot in another takedown. But he didn't, go figure. This was kind of a meh fight for me, because honestly they are both great fighters. But noone in that devision has the power to take down silva but the man he's facing next. So its kind of a good thing for Okami to get to face someone of his power and cut his teeth. I'm not an expert, but if Okami beats silva , that will be the biggest upset... ever. No doubt about it.

The fight of the night for me was probibaly was either Siver vs. Winner or Amir Sadollah's fight. They were nothing special compared to alot of under card fights on previous events. But they were the best of the night in my mind.

Not a bad card last night with some good fights. Okami vs Nate was kind of boring, and Nate's gameplan, and execution were terrible. I'm glad Okami won though. Nice to see a guy who deserves a title shot get one unlike the current number one contender. Siver is doing good for himself, and improving a lot. I think Winner will get cut, or get one more fight along with a ton of others on this card. I expect Sobotta to get cut along with Reljic. Both had terrible performances, and are on losing streaks. That guy Kimbo killer fought was the real deal. Glad he beat that annoying fuckers face in, and I hope he gets cut. Kris looked great in his fight, but made a rookie mistake. Never take a black belt down if you can't defend subs from them. Hopefully he gets one more fight because I like him.

UFC gets some credit for being very self-aware. I'm a big Marquart fan, but aside from that, this card looked unremarkable heading in. I think UFC knew that when the put it together and also that some of the match ups were dry. So why not throw it on free Spike TV? They accomplished three things:

1. They played it safe. If the matches blow, nobody will say 'well that was a waste of my money' because it was on cable. If the matches are awesome, people will be more likely to tune in the following PPV.

2. They kept MMA at the forefront without having to burn quality matches, making the upcoming PPV's that much more enticing. Why blow your load on a free show when you can offer a teaser and then have the pay off a few weeks later?

3. They put something free on opposite a highly touted boxing PPV. People who wanted combat sports had the choice of plunking down money on Pacquio vs Margarito or getting UFC for free. Very strategic by the UFC fellas.

UFC gets some credit for being very self-aware. I'm a big Marquart fan, but aside from that, this card looked unremarkable heading in. I think UFC knew that when the put it together and also that some of the match ups were dry. So why not throw it on free Spike TV? They accomplished three things:

1. They played it safe. If the matches blow, nobody will say 'well that was a waste of my money' because it was on cable. If the matches are awesome, people will be more likely to tune in the following PPV.

2. They kept MMA at the forefront without having to burn quality matches, making the upcoming PPV's that much more enticing. Why blow your load on a free show when you can offer a teaser and then have the pay off a few weeks later?

3. They put something free on opposite a highly touted boxing PPV. People who wanted combat sports had the choice of plunking down money on Pacquio vs Margarito or getting UFC for free. Very strategic by the UFC fellas.

That theory is perfectly fine for professional wrestling. You sell the big matches for PPV (something Sidious never understood). You have your fanbase that will tune in no matter what.

However, for MMA, it's a bit different. We do a mini version of the prediction contest at my office which people throw money in for, and the people who participate range from 2 die-hards, 2 VERY casual fans, one person who just picks for fun, a girl, and a flamboyant homosexual. The fact that more people participated in that than the one on the forums flabbergasts me, but that's besides the point. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm trying to introduce MMA to my co-workers. MMA is still something that isn't on the radar of the general public. One girl who I work with said she "decided to give UFC a shot" and she was utterly bored by the fights, and she had every right to be. This wasn't a good card on paper, or execution at all.

UFC 120 wasn't exactly the greatest free card, but it provided a proportionate amount of excitement. The UFC is still growing, and they need to know who is exciting and who would entice fans to watch.

Whenever they decide to do a free card, they need to have a legitimate headliner. Marquardt vs. Okami is a co-main event fight at best on paper, and it sucked in execution... making it even worse was that it was the main event. That girl who "decided to give UFC a shot" might not ever bother watching again. That's just one person. I wonder how many other people decided to tune in for the hell of it.

In the case of the WEC PPV, they probably had a lot of fence sitters who tuned in for the Garcia/Korean Zombie fight. That fight led to a boatload of PPV buys that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Have to agree with Guy on this one.

More than likely, people will tune into a free UFC card before they would order a pay-per-view card. Now, after Saturday night's show, why would anyone pay $60 for UFC 123? If UFC 122 was my very first UFC show, there's absolutely no way I would shell out that much money for another card.

People can bitch about EliteXC all they want, but man.. their fucking shows were entertaining as shit, especially the CBS programs. They didn't have one single boring CBS show, and I think that converted a lot of fans to the sport, especially when you look at the ratings they received. The UFC needs to focus on putting on shows like EliteXC did. Guaranteed slugfest, with the two main event fights being headlined by draws, even if they're against a couple of cans. It will only help the UFC, I guarantee it.

Anyways, I only caught the main event of UFC 122. Since I knew the result going in, I was bored by the fight. If I hadn't read the spoilers, then I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more, since the excitement of "this fight can end at anytime" would have kept me from being bored by it. Still though... definitely a boring fight. I blame Marquardt for that, though. Okami fought his usual fight, whereas Marquardt was tentative and hesitant on everything he did. But I'm not bitching, because I didn't want Marquardt anywhere near a title shot, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back