• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva

jmt225

Global Moderator
w6wbbt.jpg

Main card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva
  • Welterweight bout: Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett
  • Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout
  • Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Duane Ludwig
  • Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Gilbert Yvel

Spike TV Card

• Welterweight bout: Martin Kampmann vs. Jacob Volkmann
  • Lightweight bout: Cole Miller vs. Dan Lauzon

Preliminary Card

• Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Steve Cantwell
  • Middleweight bout: Mark Munoz vs. Ryan Jensen
  • Welterweight bout: Mike Pyle vs. Jake Ellenberger
  • Lightweight bout: Rafaello Oliveira vs. John Gunderson

...............................................................................................​

Whew... most cursed card of all time? Maybe so. There have been so many changes to this card that it's now ridiculous. I mean, first this card was supposed to be one of the greatest in UFC history, with fights like Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort and Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin to headline the show, but now it's probably going to end up being one of the lowest grossing UFC cards in the past couple of years.

And man, that's just the jist of it. You had Big Nog vs. Cain Velasquez scheduled for this card, only for it to get scraped due to Nog having Staph. Then you had Cain Velasquez vs. Shane Carwin scheduled, but that had to be canceled because Carwin needed surgery. Then Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Junior dos Santos was scheduled, only for Gonzaga to come down with Staph himself. And dude... I could go on all day here with all the other fights that had to be called off for this show. It is un-fucking-believable.

But the card is now finalized, and I don't think there won't be any more changes. So, let's get to the card itself.

Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva is either going to be a barn-burner, or one of the most boring fights on all time. Not too sure. Silva nearly had to pull out of this one because of an ankle injury, but apparently the UFC made him an offer he couldn't refuse to still fight (can't blame them for that). Personally, I think Thiago is one of the worst possible match-ups for Rashad, but if that ankle really is injured, then Thiago's footwork on the feet will be off, and it'll be much harder for Thiago to sprawl whenever 'Shad attempts to take him down. However, if Thiago is able to go in 100%, then I just don't see how 'Shad defeats him. I mean, maybe 'Shad can lay 'n pray, but that's really it. Thiago is FAR superior on the feet, and on the ground he's a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt. But, like I said... if 'Shad fights smart, then he can win it, but that crowd will be booing their ass off because it will be one boring ass fight.

When you look at the 4 fights on the undercard... they're all going to be fast-paced, scrappy fights. I mean, this card really isn't bad at all, but there just aren't enough big names on it. But regardless... I think there will be some serious bad ass fights on here.

Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett should be a stand-up war, and if it is... I see Daley knocking out Hazelett. However, if Hazelett takes it to the ground, then he'll tap Daley out I'm sure. Either way, I guarantee this one gets a finish. These two guys go full force at all times, and someone's bound to get caught.

Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout, like I said, a fast-paced, scrappy fight. Both of these guys fucking bring it every time they enter that octagon. I am a HUGE fan of Joe Lauzon, so I will be rooting heavily for him, and I believe he can pull it off, but you can't look pass Sam Stout. The guy's good, very good. So, this fight really could go either way, but I see Lauzon winning a decision in this one, in a Fight of the Night caliber fight.

Jim Miller's first opponent was supposed to be Tyson Griffin. Tyson had to pull out due to an injury. He next opponent was announced to be Sean Sherk, but Sherk got injured. Now, the UFC has brought in Duane 'BANG' Ludwig to take him on, and fuck what an awesome replacement. Bang's record isn't all that impressive, but he's one of the funnest fighters to watch in the sport and it's going to be nice to see him back in the UFC. However, Jim Miller showed me how good he was in the Mac Danzig fight, and I really believe this guy is on his way up the Lightweight ladder. He should easily pick apart someone like Bang, and finish him off. Still though... it should be a very, very fun fight my main man BANG in there throwing hands.

To explain how fucking DESPERATE the UFC was to bring in fighters for this show, they signed Gilbert Yvel to take on Junior dos Santos. I mean, dude... it's unreal. If you don't know who Yvel is, in 2004 he knocked out a referee after the ref asked for a separation between Yvel and his opponent. And even before then the guy was a knucklehead, who had been disqualified in fights for shit like biting, scratching, eye gouging, etc. The guy is an unbelievable hot head, but to his credit... he can fight. Very good kickboxer. However, he's going to get knocked the fuck out against Junior dos Santos. Dos Santos has shown in his last 3 fights that he is indeed forreal, and Yvel will just be another victim. Can't wait to see it.

Good to see Spike is airing two preliminary fights again. I don't know much about Jacob Volkmann, other than that he's the guy who lost to Paulo Thiago not too long ago, so I don't see Kampmann having much of a problem with him. And Cole Miller vs. Dan Lauzon should be a damn good fight. Dan Lauzon is the younger brother of Joe Lauzon, and he's been on a hell of a role lately, but so has Cole Miller, so this one is hard to call, but if I had money on it, I'd bet on Cole Miller. He's improved vastly since being on The Ultimate Fighter, and plus I see his height and long reach causing a lot of problems for Lauzon. Nevertheless, should be a nice little treat to see on Spike before the actual card starts on pay-per-view.

Yea really sucks that everyone got hurt. I was gonna buy this over the last PPV, but now this PPV looks weak.

Rashad vs Silva would be good, but like you said Silva's ankle is hurt. I'm kind of glad though because Silva had a HUGE chance of beating Rashad and if he did then the Rampage fight would lose steam. So i'm kind of in a way thankful Silva's hurt.

I'll love seeing Lauzon fight again. I'm a huge fan of his, and hope he can really bring it and win decisively. I want to see him climb the ladder again and become a real contender.

None of the other fights interest me. It'll be fun seeing Dos Santos fuck that dude up. Shoulda been the best card in UFC history, but I guess it's impossible to place two champs such as these two on the same card.

This card is fucking cursed, it has been said before and it will be said again. However, I am still really psyched for some of the fights tonight. As per tradition I will give my insight and guesses as to who will be winning tonight.

Rashad Evans versus Thiago Silva should be off the chain. Both men love to throw, but the real intrigue for me is Evans wrestling skills and Silvas BJJ. It should be a real chess match. Evans said in an interview that he wanted to get back to his wrestling roots and with Silva having a very underrated ground game I will be very interested in seeing what happens if and when the fight hits the mat. However, I do not think it will ever go to thr ground, both men love to strike and they will more then likely be looking to show off. I expect a knockout or TKO in the first or second round. Should be a really good fight.

Paul Daley versus Dustin Hazelett is another very interesting fight. Daley has some awesome hands but Hazelett has some of the best BJJ in the Welterweight division. Whoever wins this fight is going to be moving up into the top 10 and maybe top 5 welterweights in the UFC. As shocking as Daley's knockout of Kampmann was i nhis debut it has nothing on Hazelett's flying armbar that he got on Josh Burkman. I will be taking Dustin Hazelett in this fight via submission, my guess is an armbar or triangle.

Joe Lauzon versus Sam Stout will be an outstanding Lightweight fight. Both men always bring it when they have fights and both men are young and have great upsides. Both are very well rounded fighters and I could easily see this fight going either way. I give the edge to Joe Lauzon however, he has been in more fights and has fought higher caliber opponents, lets not forget he beat Jens Pulver way back in the day. Joe Lauzon for the win in this one.

Jim Miller and Duane Ludwig is pretty much a throw away fight in my eyes. Duane Ludwig has a lot of heart and a lot of skill, he will certainly be looking to shock the world. However, Jim Miller is a very good fighter who is very well rounded. I expect to see him blow through Ludwig tonight. Jim Miller gets the nod.

Junior Dos Santos versus Gilbert Yvel has knockout of the night written all over it. Both men have great power and always look for the KO. If we are lucky Steve Mazzagatti will be assigned this fight and will make a bad call against Yvel. If you don't know Yvel has a thing about knocking out officials and thats that true knockout that I am looking for. I think Dos Santos will win this fight in the end but not before both men beat the hell out of one another.

The undercard will see Martin Kampmann and Jason Volmann as well as Dan Lauzon and Cole Miller. Martin Kampmann will rebound from his upset loss to Paul Daley and I see Dan Lauzon picking up his first UFC victory. I also am interested in seeing Jake Ellenberger fight again. I believe he may be the real deal and a true threat in the Welterweight division, we will find out tonight. It is to bad Matyushenko and Cantwell got dropped from the card, I was looking forward to Vladimer knocking Cantwell out.

I still haven't watched any of the fights, but here are my thoughts on the results:

Happy to hear Rashad did well enough last night to gain the victory. I've read that Thiago Silva could have had it won in the 3rd Round, but he acted like a fool. Sounds like Paulie Malignaggi when he fought JuanDiaz (though Paulie won the decision regardless). Anyway, good for Rashad, and good for the UFC and the fans. Now 'Shad gains a bunch of momentum going into the Rampage fight. Can't wait to see that one.

Junior dos Santos once again shows that he is the true future of the Heavyweight Division. Carwin and Velasquez are good fighters, but they haven't put on nearly the impressive performances dos Santos has put on thus far in his short career. It's unbelievable.

The Paul Daley hype train continues, though I won't be surprised to see his next opponent knock him right off of it. Kos, maybe? That is, if Paulo loses to Swick like he should.

Very disappointed about Lauzon, but Stout is a tough fight for anyone, let alone a guy coming off a year lay-off. JLo will be back, though.

And no surprise for the other fights. Miller is far superior to BANG, Cole Miller has some SERIOUS potential, and Kampmann bounces back against a can.

All in all... sounds like a decent night of fights. I'll definitely download a couple of them sometime this week.

Yeah, last nights show was a show that should have been pure shit but actually delivered, funny how that seems to happen more often then not. I was impressed by a few guys on the show and some of the fights were just throw aways.

Rashad dominated rounds one and two and looked to be rolling on to an easy victory, but you cannot count Thiago Silva out. He caught Rashad a couple times but instead of jumping on him he stood in front of Rashad and just taunted him. A very classless and unprofessional act by Silva, a man who was getting his ass kicked the entire fight. He could have easily knocked Rashad out but just acted like a damn fool instead, very disappointing.

Paul Daley knocked out Dustin Hazelett in an awesome showing. Like you said JMT, this hype train will just keep rolling until he fights an actual fighter of a high caliber such as Kos, Jon Fitch or Thiago Alves. I hope Joe Silva throws him to the wolves.

It was a shame that J-Lo lost but there is no shame in losing to Sam Stout. Both men have tremendous talent and I still think both have bright futures.

Jim Miller looked good in a throw away fight, that is all I can really say about that fight.

Dos Santos continues to impress me with his power, I would love to see his ground skills sometime though. He has the brightest future of all the Heavyweight prospects. I do however, think the fight was stopped a bit early but still it was over.

The undercard was underwhelming with the late removal of Cantwell and Matuyshenko. Cole Miller looked great and should be a big player in the future, but he is an incredible prick. Hopefully, Dan Lauzon gets another shot soon. Jake Ellenberger continues to impress the hell out of me and he is someone I will be watching closely this next year. I would not be surprised at all if he became a big player in the Welterweight division. Kampmann looked good as well.

All and all a good show but the injuries really hurt it.

The only thing I'll comment on is the main event, as that's all I cared about.

INDY, you really think that was classless? I thought it was brilliant. Rashad did what many expected him to do, lay and pray. Silva had no answer for it, except one which I think he pulled out too late. He played to Evans ego. Do you remember the Machida fight? That "blowfish" moment was Rashad trying to talk through him getting an asswhooping. Rashad is a cocky fighter in the ring, taunting him was the only way Silva could get him to stand and bang with him where he knew he had the advantage. The problem was he was too tired to finish, and didn't have the power to end it in 1 hit. Silva had the right idea, but it came too late so Rashad got the victory.

The only thing I'll comment on is the main event, as that's all I cared about.

INDY, you really think that was classless? I thought it was brilliant. Rashad did what many expected him to do, lay and pray. Silva had no answer for it, except one which I think he pulled out too late. He played to Evans ego. Do you remember the Machida fight? That "blowfish" moment was Rashad trying to talk through him getting an asswhooping. Rashad is a cocky fighter in the ring, taunting him was the only way Silva could get him to stand and bang with him where he knew he had the advantage. The problem was he was too tired to finish, and didn't have the power to end it in 1 hit. Silva had the right idea, but it came too late so Rashad got the victory.

I can agree on part of your statement. It was brilliant because it did lure Rashad into a false sense of safety which in turn led to the near knockout of Evans, but I am not a fan of showing off. You may call it lay and pray but Silva had no answer for it, I would have done the exact same thing and it wasn't like Silva was exchanging with Rashad until the end of the fight. The worst part about Silva doing his cocky little dance and impersonation of Rashad was that he was losing the fight anyways. If he would have spent more time actually throwing punches at Rashad instead of puffing his cheeks out at him, well then way may be talking about Thiago Silva being the victor of the fight.

Your wrong though. The reason Silva was so hesitant WAS because Rashad was dominating him in takedowns. From what I remember, Silva was new to that. He was too worried about being taken down again to start throwing punches. He had to do something to get Rashad to STOP shooting on him, and stand, and mocking him will do it. Rashad's ego is too big for that to NOT be the case. If you mock him, he'll try to shut you up and the only way he could think to do that would be to swing. If a guy drops his hands and starts stepping forward, what would you do? Silva played the last card in his hand but was just too tired to seal the deal.

How exactly am I wrong? I said that I thought it was classless because I don't like when fighters start acting like assclowns, I said the exact same thing when Lesnar acted like a fool after beating Frank Mir.

You are right, Silva had to do something to stop Rashad from dominating him, which Rashad was doing. It was stupid for him to drop his hands like he did but it did get Rashad to come after him which in turn opened up a chance at winning. However, he kept doing it even after he had caught Rashad with a big punch. He continued taunting when he should have been in kill mode. Thiago Silva screwed Thiago Silva in this fight.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, it did work but he just did it to late and for to long.

I say you're wrong because you seem to be insenting he taunted to taunt, just for that. He continued taunting after Rashad was rocked because Silva was tired, he couldn't finish the fight, and he wanted Rashad to come at him again.

I'm arguing this with you because he wasn't taunting to taunt like Lesnar did, he was doing it because he was to tired to go after Evans and was trying to make him come to him.

Your saying he was to tired so he kept taunting, which is true, but does not deny the fact that if he had pushed forward instead of taunting he would have had a much better chance at finishing Rashad. As soon as Rashad was rocked he began to back off and not come at Silva nearly as much as he was before he got rocked. Rashad may have an astronomical ego but he is not stupid, he knew what Thiago was doing and didn't fall for it in the end. Silva should have gone after Rashad instead of continuing the taunting because then he would have actually probably won the fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back